The Retro-PES Corner

Just catching up on posts and I have to say this thread remains as epic as ever.

@Shales that goals compilation is pure PES perfection. Love it.

@vialli82 Love your insights, especially your break down of PS2 PES and the various graphical changes down the editions.

Me, I'm still very much a PES 5 guy but I've won all there is to win on that game so looking for a new ML challenge I went pack to PES 2008 (PS2 version). Plays beautifully but I agree, it's just too easy. Coming from PES 5 I was competing with the best with the defaults! Shame because there's a lot to like there, as @geeeeee will tell you.

Now? I've picked up my ML on one of the rarer PS2 PESes... PES 2011. This one was always tempting because of the ML with Champions League licence and added ML features. I found it a little frantic at first but now I've gone back to it, it's glorious!

Rock hard AI, enhanced graphics, nice ball physics, superb player individuality and nets almost as sexy as the PS3 version of PES 2011.

Attachments

• 91oUXrv+KSL._AC_SY500_.jpg
    91oUXrv+KSL._AC_SY500_.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 10
Thanks mate!

Winning Eleven 2008 is in english and got a "6 stars" to unlock just in case if you're interested.

Yes it's easier to score... But you'll see, the CPU on level above, superstar for an ML is enough... It's balanced to me, PES 5 was more defensive, PES6 too offensive. That one can gives you aswell a 0-0 than a 7-5 : there's more freedom. Aswell for the CPU too! Ball physics got also more algorithms.

Even if a tried 6 stars on WE2008 : CPU is a scoring machine lol... I would like to export my players on that version instead of the US i got
I took the US for editing, didn't know that WE2008 got some small stuff in more don't remember all but not only the 6 stars, also because there's a lot in english or ita version patchs, and for compatibility like @geeeeee is using English/Spanish version and a 21/22 version.

Otherwhise i would have took WE2008. But the issue is i don't found any O.F. to import Emblems/Logos/Kits, on US version yes + there's an O.F. editor so.
Also the PS3 version got the 6 stars... @PRO_TOO , i don't know how to unlock as i don't remember if there's a shop or if it's automatic. If i was in possession of a PSP i could transfers data, but too complicated to convert PSP data to a PS2 save for the few games who got the option to synchronise and share data.

About PC never checked if there was WE version too, i think (like WE9LE, WE International versions, but i ain't sure)

You are making me curious with these ps2 pes.
At that time I changed console, buying the xbox 360 with the new 2008 pes.
I thought the latest ps2 pes were all a simple roster update. Can you confirm that this is not the case?
What are the changes?
I wonder why I can get a ps2 for free, the temptation to try one of these titles is strong :D

You are making me curious with these ps2 pes.
At that time I changed console, buying the xbox 360 with the new 2008 pes.
I thought the latest ps2 pes were all a simple roster update. Can you confirm that this is not the case?
What are the changes?
I wonder why I can get a ps2 for free, the temptation to try one of these titles is strong :D

Emulation for the win. I own most of the games but still play through emulation. 😂

Not the case. But from PES 2009 to let's say 2012 or 2013, gameplay seems similar. 2014 slower in passing, it's especial.

The "crowd" from South American was divided as there was issue in some countries regarding poverty (PS360... Needs and HDTV too etc.) so they stayed on PS2. And even continue patches now that they got FreeMcboot + or an USB key or a FAT32 HDD (faster, i got both) and they're pretty used to create all kind of PS2 patches / Like JLeague version replaced by Argentina and Brasileirao for having a D2 etc.

Edit: Emulation is okay if it doesn't bother you about slowdown (on PES especially) and hair polygons disappearing 🙃
It's annoying that it's on every PES/WE. There's a compatibility list but no problem running others games i own.

Well, personally i tried on PCSX2 but i wanted to play on real hardware without issue. I prefers to play on PS2 on my living room too, with or without scaler (got 3 TV : 2 1080p with YUV on it so image is pretty good, one 4k with a scaler/hdmi converter without YUV port or RGB unfortunately. Fucking 4K LED)

Last edited:
I considers to sold one TV and buy a Trinitron. With YUV : it gives a smooter image like if there was a filter on it, and there's automatic filters on CRT depending the model of the "pixels" (don't remember name) from the tv which rend the picture : the signal is converted directly whatever the form. Some are squared, others like hexagons etc.

You won't get a better image than on a CRT TV with YUV for PS2. RGB + white/red cables for sound is good too, that's what i used in the past, as the basic cable or peritel don't take 60hrz. So goodbye all 60hz games and Jap games if you didn't got or RGB or YUV (component is most known : entries blue/green/red + old yellow picture if you want to switch and the 2 audio cable white/red)

I wonder if it's possible to copy a gameplay from a PS2 game to another on PC.

It would be another experience if we have a PES 2008 gameplay on PES 6

I don't think it's impossible, but people think it's the same game with just new rosters and small changes.
But i think there's some algorithms in more, replacing when it's the exact same stuff is easier than replacing. Gameplay or rosters, whatever.

I don't know but there's no tools regarding J-League conversion since it exist : and several people from PC are interested by it. Perhaps it's too hard for "simple" programmer, needs a more advanced team.
Also people lost interest in older title editing since 7-8 years, they use what is available and sometimes one or two guys create something new and good like @marqisspes6 did for JLeague version, it's awesome. But it's sad about the lost of interest and focus on (in my opinion) less good PES such as PS3 versions which got new patches every week.

But about PS2 > PC gameplay converting i think it's still too hard even with all a High level PC can do, programming as changed for some stuffs but it needs a team of pro or autodidacts who got a big aknowledge to work on a project like your purpose. Adding one thing needs to connect with another and change/retouch another files, practically all is linked. Well you already know that it's just a remember.

The game already got a structure as they got their own, even all J-League players got presets too etc.

1662166662245.png1662166834986.png

Just finished my first full PES 2015 match ever. PC version, 20 minutes, top player, -1 speed, Millos vs Jorge Wilstermann of Bolivia. A Sudamericana match!:BSCARF:

Several things I liked!
- Defense is a completely different deal in this one, tackling I feel is much more timed, and dispossessing requires a lot more patience, which I think gives a whole new feeling to the game.
- PA 2 played quite nice! Feels like PA 1 in other games, perhaps more like PA 0.8
- Love the accurate depictions of Millonarios players at least, in PTE patch. The players felt and played like their real life counterparts, stats definitely have a lot of impact!
- Most importantly, I really enjoyed the ball physics, the ball and the players feel quite weighty and realistic, at -1 speed, the game plays beautifully. :TU:
- Very nice foul system! Had two yellow cards and had to substitute my DMF Robayo at halftime.

Things I didn't quite like (or maybe I have to get used to them):
- The stamina system seems a bit off. By minute 70 a lot of my players were totally winded. 😫 Maybe there's a mod that corrects this.. Will have to look for it.
- At times it seemed like some of my off the ball players did not make as many forward runs as I would like. Could be a question of strategy though.
- The camera is a bit too zoomed in for my taste, even at zoom 0. Bros, let me know if there are any camera mods for this edition. :)
- In the replay menu, I can't seem to find how to play them at normal speed.

Overall a quite enjoyable experience! I'll have to play some more of this edition for sure, it kind of felt like the modern PES 5 in its defensive difficulty, fouls, and more measured pace! I'd venture to say that PES 2015 is similar to PES 5, and PES 2017 is similar in a way to PES 6. :TU:

Last edited:
Have you tested the ML ? The one on PES 2015 is the most boring ML I ever played since the PS 3 era
Not sure what you mean with "since Ps3 era"? 10-11 and partially 12-13 had objectively the better Master Leagues ever in terms of options and depth. Then if you were talking about gameplay it's another matter.

Agree in 2015 there aren't many things to do and you have to use a lot of imagination (not really this different than what we did in Ps2 times), but let's say it's a problem that plagues all games from 2014 onwards. They never bothered to significantly enrich ML in Fox era.

Random retro question of the day... Is there anything to be done about PES 2013's ridiculously high lines? I'm wondering if this was changed between EXE updates or if it's just not possible to "fix".

Just played a few games and even when changing the tactical setting for "defensive line" to 0/20 (i.e. as deep as it will go), the defenders stand in a line on the half-way line.

I love the defensive system - the upgrade from the older games' "press X to win ball". But with the defending being so manual and the defensive line so high, stopping the Superstar AI from making mincemeat of you is almost impossible.
Have you tried fiddling with gameplay tools or applying gameplay mods? Haven't played PES 2013 in a long while, but perhaps you should give these a shot..

https://www.moddingway.com/file/32956.html
https://www.ultigamerz.com/2016/06/pes-2013-realistic-new-gameplay-like.html

I also have a random question more technical about the classic versions of PES. Is anybody playing PES 3, 4, 5, 6 on Windows 11? And if that's the case the intro video is working? I am struggling to make those intro videos for those games to work on this last version of Windows (more of a nostalgic thing) and I don't know if it's a specific Win11 problem or I need some new type of video complement to make those classic intros to trigger. I've checked and the "opmov" file is located as it should in the "dat" folder and everything works great besides the intro. In the case of PES 2008 - 2013, all games that have intros are working...

Don't know if this was posted before, but I'd watch a documentary of one of the greatest Brazilian players to ever the the field. With words from previous teammates such as Dodo

"He was better than Maradona"

This is absolutely brilliant! :LOL: :LOL: The best part is the "real life" Dodo!

Funny that Argentinean commentators would sing so many praises about a Brazilian legend though! :LMAO:

I'm dead ffs :LMAO:

One thing : i noticed than every "Winning eleven jap" version translated by Fernando... Don't have their original roster.
There's missing players in his WE10 translation. A lot for some teams (less important to him), same as WE9. I investigated.

Also a lot of uncorrect names for fakes players.

I've made a multiple O.F., WE10, JLWE9 and WE9. Same shit. Until WE10 Europa he didn't retouched anything.

Also, JLWE9 don't got new players, i didn't checked about stats but it's the same as PES 5 : the guy working with Fernando's probably changed everything.
And in reality the roster are the same as PES 5 > perhaps ONLY ig transfers, but no created players.

Sao Paulo for example got tons of players replaced, i don't know perhaps a brasilian... But even in the real version, the roster is different than in PES 5. They still aren't updated through, and no added players, stats are similar : just the one who were existing on some PES or WE... Weird case as that game is.

WE10 is just fucked up, all youths got wrong names practically, with player who signed on July who got 28 years old and 188cm sharing the same name as a 169cm player 20 year old : it's not a fake example that's what i found.
When you're just translating the game, do it even with fake names for what we care. At the time we could resolve it ourselves. Many many thanks for the translation and all, but better to keep it "original" or we're lost, like for those 3 games i wasn't even aware of it...

@H_G you remember that you showed some stats difference for Messi in JLWE9? It was made by the translator. On the JL version he got the same exact stats. Or it was on another WE? WE9LE? It was the shitty set he got on PES 5 (kinda normal as they didn't see him play too much : was pretty young)

Fortunately, since JL10 Europa 07-08 rosters are accurate. Only translation and (sometimes) logos.

I tried the ISS 2000 on PSX vs N64 : except the graphisms it's exactly the same.
Never liked those N64 version at all, neither PSX.

But i kinda liked ISS version PS2, same system, better effects and balance. Only remember the 3 and the 2 but just that kinda i liked it better than others football game on PS2 such as This is Football and co. Was the (very low) second amusing version of football game to me on PS2... But i never tried a Fifa.

Only the 14 recently, Fifa's golden era and the port was pretty good, much much better than a FIFA old school. More like a PES.
You should try it : I was pretty astonished by how it improved so late on that console.
Note : there's 16/9 option.

As I remember there's a little difference between his stats on WE 9 (J) and PES 5.

Like who ?
Ah i through you compared to JLWE9AC. He got the same stats on both.

Like who ?

Don't remember, i didn't took notes. But on South American team. I think it's more some transfers than removed. Got too much to do with my OF(s) for it (it was the purpose of it : found updated stats players : but if the player is wrong... You put a wrong players stats recopy instead)

I can tell that there's was a player sharing the same name who was transferred from Omiya Ardija to Sao Paulo but on JLWE9 :
But two player shared the same name / the took one year a player named "Roger", the other year another one.
Then you got a player better practically than Marcio Amoroso instead of the real one who was on the original JLWE9AC with his real face from previous JLWE9AC (some players on fakes teams got real faces, don't ask me why lol)

Player switched or removed, transferred and stats changed, but it's sure that the database is retouched comparing to the original, and a lot of player with fakes names "translated" are wrong.
I hate it. Just translate, don't try to do something you're not good at it.

Note: on i don't remember which translated version, there's created players on it for no reason... Well the only reason i found is they changed the player and keeped it with base copy.

I tried the ISS 2000 on PSX vs N64 : except the graphisms it's exactly the same.
Never liked those N64 version at all, neither PSX.

But i kinda liked ISS version PS2, same system, better effects and balance. Only remember the 3 and the 2 but just that kinda i liked it better than others football game on PS2 such as This is Football and co. Was the (very low) second amusing version of football game to me on PS2... But i never tried a Fifa.

Only the 14 recently, Fifa's golden era and the port was pretty good, much much better than a FIFA old school. More like a PES.
You should try it : I was pretty astonished by how it improved so late on that console.
Note : there's 16/9 option.

FIFA for PS2/PSP after 2007 that next gen consoles came PS3/XBOX360, was a PES 2008~2014 PS2 case. Developers working on a standard basis of game code, no pressure i assume, and they were practically refining FIFA 05 or 06 (take your pick).

I played a lot 2005 and little less 2006 for PC, and i liked them (no comparison with the Golden era PES of course, but in their own kind, they were funny games) and what i see when i play those (lost) FIFAs, up to 2014 for PS2, is an improved 2005 or 2006 (take your pick again).

And even the PSP version of 2014 that i tried, felt a lot improved.

Seems that sometimes, when working without any pressure, and focusing on refine the Legacy edition, can produce very good results. Not that the PS3 FIFAs were some kind of bad games, they were also improving from the mediorce PS1/PS2 era, but they are another article.

Of course they keep some flaws from the Original code, that has to be said. Like some shoots--->goal, have some more than needed variation in trajectory, that is completelly out of context, etc.

Hi everyone,

Just throwing a random question out there, does anyone know where i can get updated kits for PES2013 PS2 version? I have checked online but a bit difficult to find all EPL ones and other leagues. Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just throwing a random question out there, does anyone know where i can get updated kits for PES2013 PS2 version? I have checked online but a bit difficult to find all EPL ones and other leagues. Thanks
I don't have PES 2013 PS2 (what's it like?) but I've not had any luck finding option files for the later PS2 PESes i do have, 2010 and PES 2011. Did a very basic edit on them myself in the end.

Back
Top Bottom