The Retro-PES Corner

Yesterday I played PES 5 with the fantastic Original Season patch and it happened a couple things that I don't remember seeing when I played that game at the time.

I was playing Japan against South Korea and made a long pass into the area, the keeper went forward to catch the ball but Takahara anticipated him and got the ball a second before, causing the Korean keeper to dive and foul the striker. The referee called penalty and sent off easily. Maybe it isn't that rare but I don't think that I've caused a GK to be red-carded, at least not that way.

The other thing was that after a goal kick, Nakamura (a beast in that match) jumped to head the ball, missed the ball completely and laid on the pitch until the referee stopped the match. What I found weird was that nobody was close to him so he didn't make contact with anyone, must have landed badly or pulled something because he grabbed one of his legs. I remember players getting injured but by colliding with opposing players, not by themselves.

Those little things make the game so special and makes me want to keep playing it, besides being a great game that holds up quite well after so many years.

Wow, pretty sure I saw red cards on the keeper (even if it's indeed rare enough, at least in my experience) but while I've seen players collapsing on their own (still remember watching with absolute awe Van Der Vaart, stamina drained and C in injury stats, falling on his knees by himself and staying down injured) I can't recall ever an injury as you described. Amazing! The number of details and little things that used to happen in Ps2 days never cease to amaze me.

I'm incredibly boring. I named league A/B/C/D after the logos that most look like them (so the lion is the EPL for example).

Then, and this is slightly sacrilege... I just renamed and rebadged Cruzeiro to Leicester City, Partizan Belgrade (I think) to Derby County, PES United to Burnley and WE United to Tranmere.

I left the players as they were, except, I turned down all the attributes for the PES/WE United players, because they're stupidly high.

Then I can have a 16-team Prem and an 8-team "EFL" of sorts, with full Germany, Italy and Spain leagues.

It's a bit boring and not very "European Adventurey" but... It's how I've always done it (with Rangers/Celtic thrown in to D2 if I can't make up the numbers for any reason)...

It's whatever floats your boat! I used a convoluted seeding system using the FIFA 05 overall team ratings. 🙃 Each section (the six leagues and the rest) got their 10 best teams (according to FIFA 05) with the exception of Italy and Spain, who got 11. Near enough the worst team from each section ended up with me in D2.

Great to see the love PES 5 is getting here, this game deserves at least the same recognition and praise PES 6 gets (even more than that in my opinion).

I found an Option File on Youtube for PES 5 for 2020 21 season, unfortunately it had some missing teams and players, wrong kits etc so I started to update the squads, all big 5 leagues and most other club teams are done (PSD stats) and just around 15 clubs I still need to update or create since I wanted to have 6 South American clubs too, national teams I made around 15 so far. Then the kits need to be done in editor as the original file included many from 5-15 years ago... I will share when I am finished with the file.
I really can’t wait for this - you’re a Saint.

I love FIFA 16 and PES 2017. But I still can’t stop thinking about PES 5. It’s all I need.

All this PES 5 talk made me iso my original disc to pcsx2 tonight and dig out the first optionfile i ever made(with pategato) in 2006, to say the difference going back to it after playing PES 6 for the last 15 years was a shock to say the least, dare i say the ball physics alone make it more "free as a bird.." by comparison. every bump and bobble really made you have to consider a 5 yard pass nevermind a 20 yard through ball and knowing if you dont control it properly youll give away a foul really ups the ante in regards to gameplay.

I played one 15 minute game (see highlights below) and even when i had an open goal with Robben those amazing ball physics had me nearly off my seat with my hands on my head in disbelief...

I did manage to score this cracker with Drogba (who really stood out and battered the liverpool defence like real life)

Im never gonna get the PES 6 PATCH finished now if i keep playing PES 5 :DANCE::DANCE:suppose there are worse things in life lol

I really can’t wait for this - you’re a Saint.

I love FIFA 16 and PES 2017. But I still can’t stop thinking about PES 5. It’s all I need.

Thank you, I finished with the stats of all the 138 club teams and now do national teams, 32 European and 5 South American teams are done so far. Still need to make the remaining national teams, classic teams will also become current national teams like Senegal, Algeria and Bosnia. Then the kits need to be edited in game, started with some and I think they look pretty good for the limited possibilities of the editor (made Belgium, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Italy and Netherlands so far). Sadly I noticed there will not be enough space for all 138 clubs to have their real logo, it is limited to 100 I think...

I edited an ISS PE2 ISO with all the real names. I can dig it out tomorrow. Might have game saves for the others - I've totally lost track! 😄

And, just for kicks, here's 167 patches!: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1yrikOcH0vpLjrwJvJFEWTU8PgjCfieB9?usp=sharing

Wow. I think that I found (at least by the name description) the patch that I played when I first got a PS1. It had a compilation of South American teams from 2000 or 2001 and maybe a few European ones. I'm sure I could recognize the patch just by checking my home team's roster, I remember editing a couple players faces skin and hair because they were very wrong. My brothers and I played the game non-stop until it was scratched enough to be unreadable, so many great times spent with that game.

I'll try to find it there and give it a go for nostalgia's sake.

If I could give you the explanation clearly, PES2013 has the league structure and database separately (could be together, but here in PESEdit, they use something similar through Hex Editing). To activate the Italian Serie B, try backup your already modified edit file and then choose the Italian Serie B in the Pesedit selector (make sure you click the picture). After that, replace the Edit file, with the one that you've modified before.
When you say your "already modified edit file" what do you mean exactly?
I understand editing in PES2020/21 but I'm fully lost with 2013 ahahaha
And thanks for answering!

When you say your "already modified edit file" what do you mean exactly?
I understand editing in PES2020/21 but I'm fully lost with 2013 ahahaha
And thanks for answering!
Pardon for the confusion, it's the one that you've edited via either Editor/in-game edit mode. Basically it was just EDIT.bin, but it's newer in the modified date

Thank you, I finished with the stats of all the 138 club teams and now do national teams, 32 European and 5 South American teams are done so far. Still need to make the remaining national teams, classic teams will also become current national teams like Senegal, Algeria and Bosnia. Then the kits need to be edited in game, started with some and I think they look pretty good for the limited possibilities of the editor (made Belgium, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Italy and Netherlands so far). Sadly I noticed there will not be enough space for all 138 clubs to have their real logo, it is limited to 100 I think...
How will you make the stadiums? Or are you going to use the existing ones?

Sounds like one hell of a project you have going on, good luck with it and let us know how it progresses :)

How will you make the stadiums? Or are you going to use the existing ones?

Sounds like one hell of a project you have going on, good luck with it and let us know how it progresses :)
I will use existing stadiums or convert the ones for PES 6 to 5, there is a convertor that does a good and fast job with stadium conversion, but first I won't make any kitserver but only the Option File like in the good old days.
For kits there is a convertor too, but some kits I wanted to convert caused crashes in the game and looked wrong when I tried them so I will just use editor as I don't know about kit making and don't want to go through all those txt files of kit configuration trying to find the reason for crashes. Also all the faces, boots and hair are way too much work so I will just focus on Option File, if anybody wants to do that kitserver related stuff it would be of course fantastic but I won't be able to do that all

I edited an ISS PE2 ISO with all the real names. I can dig it out tomorrow. Might have game saves for the others - I've totally lost track! 😄

And, just for kicks, here's 167 patches!: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1yrikOcH0vpLjrwJvJFEWTU8PgjCfieB9?usp=sharing

I found the game I was looking for! The problem is that when it loads in the emulator, the top part of the screen is cut and I get an error regarding sound. How should I configure the emulator to make it work?

Attachments

• Emulator error.png
    Emulator error.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 21
  • WE screen.png
    WE screen.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
I found the game I was looking for! The problem is that when it loads in the emulator, the top part of the screen is cut and I get an error regarding sound. How should I configure the emulator to make it work?

Sorry dude, that's way above my station. I don't really use ePSXe, I tend to play on a console. Some other guys in here might know... Anyone?

I use ePSXe too, I'm not very good with computers and software overall though, but I'll do my best to help. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me shows up further down the line because I'm genuinely not knowledgeable in solving these issues by myself usually.

Regarding the sound issue, whenever I get an error in ePSXe I search for the exact error message text on Google, ePSXe is a popular emulator with many forums discussing it, so many people report many different issues, and sometimes the same issue can be caused by different reasons and therefore have different solutions, so I look for every solution offered and try them all until something works for me.

As for the video issue, with the top part of the screen being cut, I believe I might have a better idea of what to do, this could be simple, since video issues are some of the only one I've been able to solve by myself before.

Before I can help any further though, I have to know your sound and video settings, could you post screenshots of them? Also, the resolution of your monitor could be important too.

this does look really good... for its age and such...
i like some animations and the speed seems nice too.

There's two version btw, don't remember how they called the second version.
It's sad there's a translation, but what i wanted to be translated firstly are stats and tactics. Half or stats are translated not all, on the old Fernando patch.
He said perhaps 2 years ago that he will continue based on the old translation, but i think he abandonned the idea. I seriously waited for it.
Well, it's not a super football game, but it changes a bit. And i like the way you can / not instantly like with the analog / goes on another degree than the 8 directionnal stuff, with the simple 4 directionnals buttons.

BTW, i would like to purpose my help for PES 6 original season : there's all transfers in Winning eleven 2007 J-League, also stats updated for other player but i prefers original stats. But the issue is about others parameters, no problem to found the stars skills from japanese to english, but about the player evolution on ML (sorry i don't know in english how to define the 5 or 6 type of evolution) also for some faces parameters for less known players undone on the option file, it's a bit more complicated. Also for players motions too, it's important for the visual variety.

Don't know/don't think there's a PES5-like version with roster updated. They weren't in WE9 Asia Championship, neither in the WE9LE / Usually there's a jap version with rosters updated, but i didn't found a WE9LE other than the korean one, which got the exact same database as PES 5.

I just wanted authenticity, and PES 6 stats untouched, even if there's flaws it's part of the nostalgia. But about Height/weight error, that's another story, no problems if the patchers have given the accurate H/W.
Just be carefull with FM, as for many youth they gives random H/W, PES data at that time was even more thrustful than FM. They were watching games etc.

We can take also PES 2008 stats, but it's less fair regarding it's players stats from one year later, also there's missing player only on the jap version.

I don't think there's a patch for "Winning eleven 2007 J-league Asia Championship" available, i searched everywhere. Don't remember if i founded one but links were dead, or if i didn't found any translation patch at all. Well for the player's evolution type on ML, i can just takes note in Kanji/Japanese letters about untouched players, takes note regarding PES 6 and make ****** = standard/late for example, that's not a big problem. But for some faces "blank" undone and hard to found 15 years later, it is.

Last edited:
:D Thanks @vialli82 i was hoping he would get some time against Liverpool.

On a side note, does anybody know how to increase reserve space in Game Graphic Studio?

I am searching everywhere and i am guessing it is easy because there are many questions about GGS but not about reserve space.

EDIT: Josh is on now :D

On a side note, does anybody know how to increase reserve space in Game Graphic Studio?
For which game and kind of file do you need to increase the space? PES 2008 PS2 I guess?

In GGS there's this button that opens the "increase reserved space" menu:
6CNtzu8.png

Pressing it you'll be welcomed by a menu that will let you choose the name of the new AFS file with space increased (mandatory AFAIK), the file number(s) you want to increase the space of and the amount of space to allocate:
9mq8Ggo.png

On the bottom of the page there's also a dropdown list that will let you choose some pre-determined patterns (for example the one that increses space for PES5 kits).

A tip: if you're planning to import different files with different sizes and they're more than 5 or 6... Consider using the "import folder" function of AFS Explorer if possible (I don't know whether it works with PES 2008 PS2, sorry... PC gamer here). If it's compatible, it'll be quicker because AFS Explorer would compare the current size with the new size of the files, ask you to create a new AFS file if you're trying to import a file that's bigger than the space reserved for it and then auto-reserve the right space to each of the files when importing them. 😉

For which game and kind of file do you need to increase the space? PES 2008 PS2 I guess?

In GGS there's this button that opens the "increase reserved space" menu:
6CNtzu8.png

Pressing it you'll be welcomed by a menu that will let you choose the name of the new AFS file with space increased (mandatory AFAIK), the file number(s) you want to increase the space of and the amount of space to allocate:
9mq8Ggo.png

On the bottom of the page there's also a dropdown list that will let you choose some pre-determined patterns (for example the one that increses space for PES5 kits).

A tip: if you're planning to import different files with different sizes and they're more than 5 or 6... Consider using the "import folder" function of AFS Explorer if possible (I don't know whether it works with PES 2008 PS2, sorry... PC gamer here). If it's compatible, it'll be quicker because AFS Explorer would compare the current size with the new size of the files, ask you to create a new AFS file if you're trying to import a file that's bigger than the space reserved for it and then auto-reserve the right space to each of the files when importing them. 😉

Thank you so much @*aLe for providing the answer. :)

I had actually managed to work it out (kind of) late last night with @mattmid ‘s help.

It was ok building the AFS file but then my problem was importing it back in because it was saying the file is too big.

As shown in the video:-

But then Matt suggested used AFS Explorer, as you said, and that worked!

Thanks again. :)

PS How did you guess it was PES2008? :P

Is anyone here has a good recommendation on 2021/22 season option file for PES6? I need just the option file to copy the appearance and stats to the PES2008 PS2 (yeah it works apparently).

I just wanted authenticity, and PES 6 stats untouched, even if there's flaws it's part of the nostalgia. But about Height/weight error, that's another story, no problems if the patchers have given the accurate H/W.
Just be carefull with FM, as for many youth they gives random H/W, PES data at that time was even more thrustful than FM. They were watching games etc.

We can take also PES 2008 stats, but it's less fair regarding it's players stats from one year later, also there's missing player only on the jap version.
I see your point here, I also end up with stupidly high rated 17 year olds when I import stats from FM to *my own* original season option file, even higher than peaking PES6 stars. But when it comes to top division teams "even though in scandinavian leagues" I noticed that the stats are quite reasonable
The theory I have about why some youngsters are crazy high rated is that they are high rated in the B teams or U-19 teams but when you promote them to the first team squad they become average maybe because the INGAME rating is dynamic according to how players perform...

And yes, I said my own original season option file. I do actually love the one made by Fabri, but it's quite sad to see no Eredivisie hahah.
I may be sharing mine at some point because I am enjoying it now especially because I have given a lot of attention and love to my beloved team "ADO Den Haag" and the other Eredivisie teams, I have taken a jump into adding more and more youngsters to almost all teams from that season and also other players who have been called to their nationals, more other REAL youngsters added to the "ML Young"
The only issue is that in ML, some players are unplayable because I have made them over the "Unused" players, does anyone have a solution to that ?

Back
Top Bottom