The Retro-PES Corner

:LOL: I haven't got a clue about how the graphics work. I can’t really figure out ‘layers’ in photo shop and the amount of times i have to look up the word ‘opacity’ to work out how to make a logo transparent. :LOL:

When i think i have worked it out with one logo, i try exactly the same steps for another one and it ends up having a white background instead of a transparent one. :(

I guess with the ‘arrows’ i have to save the image and open it up in photoshop?

Then. as you say, paint over it with black ‘transparent’ paint (that sounds confusing straight away for me :LOL: )

On the idea of a PS2 editing thread, i would love to start it and update the first post with links etc. But i don’t really have the time to manage it and keep it up to date.
Would you like to show which graphic that you want to set to transparent?

I just wanted to share a jersey texture that I did on PES2012 and I'm a little proud of.
1628141341695.png

I took advantage of the Quaztolla badge having those cat eyes, so I looked up pictures of real cat's eyes on Google Images and made this jersey based on that (picked a black cat because it's easier to blend with the rest of the shirt). I love how it turned out.

Does anybody know of anywhere I can get hold of a 2020/21 (or at least a fairly recent season) Option File for PES 5 or PES 6 on PS2? I've searched about but everything seems to be PC these days.

Saw that on Twitter and thought it was you! Ouch. What a guy Batistuta was in the PS1 games, near flawless finishing stats in every outing.

A lot of the goals I capture and post are against me, lol.

Yeah Batistuta was my standout. I rented ISS Pro Evo when it first came out and I almost instantly scored a goal with him that made me only play ISS PE from that point onwards. Back then we had a better range of footy games and we would dip into them all. Obviously played a lot of Fifa at the time as well. But this goal I scored was a bouncing volley from the edge of box that crashed in off the bar. It wasn’t guided into the corners like it would’ve done on the fifa games. It was just a pure blast. The freedom was such a joy! I was 100% ISS from that point.

Ah, that advert gets better every time I see it 😍

Whenever I see that advert I also have the tragic realisation that there will be a generation of younger gamers who quite possibly will never relate to that sweet feeling of crowding around one TV & eagerly awaiting your turn. Great atmosphere, banter and the warmth of the TV.

No connectivity issues, no waiting for patches to download and install, no inability to clip someone round the ear for exploiting the game or toxic tactics...

My experiment has come to an end. Over the last few weeks I’ve had many sessions with older PES games, from PES 5 to PES 2021 on the PC.

But here I am, back to PES 2017 on PS4 with @Chris Davies BOE option file.

It’s been said on here many times before and I’ll say it again: PES 2017 is a masterpiece. It’s looking a bit ugly now but it’s simply the best football game from the PS4 and Xbox One era (in my opinion of course!)

No other football game gets me out of my seat like this one does. It’s just so responsive, varied and fun. Sure, PES 2017 is more ‘arcadey’ than the slower, more serious PES 2018 to PES 2021 titles, but like PES 5, this game just has that addictive quality that has been missing in PES and football games in general since, erm, PES 2017! :LOL:

I take my football gaming seriously and I’ve come to the decision that I’ll just play this, probably forever, until we get a very good FIFA (I’m looking at you, FIFA 22!)

I have so many non-football related video games to get back to now that having just one PES or FIFA title installed is enough for me.

So, PES 2017 - it’s nice to wear your comfortable slippers once again. I’ll never cheat on you with your better looking yet boring cousins ever again.

A lot of the goals I capture and post are against me, lol.

Yeah Batistuta was my standout. I rented ISS Pro Evo when it first came out and I almost instantly scored a goal with him that made me only play ISS PE from that point onwards. Back then we had a better range of footy games and we would dip into them all. Obviously played a lot of Fifa at the time as well. But this goal I scored was a bouncing volley from the edge of box that crashed in off the bar. It wasn’t guided into the corners like it would’ve done on the fifa games. It was just a pure blast. The freedom was such a joy! I was 100% ISS from that point.

Ah, that advert gets better every time I see it 😍

I'd say most the goals I post are scored against me. ☹️ To be fair, my attritional brand of virtual football doesn't lend itself to the highlight reel.

I had a similar tale but for me it wasn't renting it was my mate's brother taking the game round and it wasn't Batistuta but Trezeguet. N64 and all other football games were near enough obsolete from that moment onward.

Whenever I see that advert I also have the tragic realisation that there will be a generation of younger gamers who quite possibly will never relate to that sweet feeling of crowding around one TV & eagerly awaiting your turn. Great atmosphere, banter and the warmth of the TV.

No connectivity issues, no waiting for patches to download and install, no inability to clip someone round the ear for exploiting the game or toxic tactics...

It's like that moment at 1:58 when the guy pauses the game. We all had that dickhead mate who would do that. Dickhead mates >>> dickhead strangers. I think it's interesting that the relatively modern trend of 'non-competitive' sport - decried by conservatist snowflakes - has been reversed in gaming, where there's far less of an emphasis on the simple fun of participating.

I forgot to add to my post earlier: something I’ve wondered about PES 2017’s corners and free kicks. If I turn off the annoying aim indicator arc with R1 (or it might be R2), does that revert the corner and free kick method to the traditional PES games, if that makes sense? Or is the arc still ‘there’ but just invisible?

I find the aim indicator awkward as hell.

Last edited:
I forgot to add to my post earlier: something I’ve wondered about PES 2017’s corners and free kicks. If I turn off the annoying aim indicator arc with R1 (or it might be R2), does that revert the corner and free kick method to the traditional PES games, if that makes sense? Or is the arc still ‘there’ but just invisible?

I find the aim indicator awkward as hell.
I think the arc mechanic remains but is just invisible

My experiment has come to an end. Over the last few weeks I’ve had many sessions with older PES games, from PES 5 to PES 2021 on the PC.

It’s been said on here many times before and I’ll say it again: PES 2017 is a masterpiece. It’s looking a bit ugly now but it’s simply the best football game from the PS4 and Xbox One era (in my opinion of course!)

No other football game gets me out of my seat like this one does. It’s just so responsive, varied and fun. Sure, PES 2017 is more ‘arcadey’ than the slower, more serious PES 2018 to PES 2021 titles, but like PES 5, this game just has that addictive quality that has been missing in PES and football games in general since, erm, PES 2017! :LOL:

I take my football gaming seriously and I’ve come to the decision that I’ll just play this, probably forever, until we get a very good FIFA (I’m looking at you, FIFA 22!)

I have so many non-football related video games to get back to now that having just one PES or FIFA title installed is enough for me.

So, PES 2017 - it’s nice to wear your comfortable slippers once again. I’ll never cheat on you with your better looking yet boring cousins ever again.

Nice to hear bro. Must give this one a go again!

Do you have a link for the option file?

I've done much the same over the past month or so. PES 5 is my comfortable pair of slippers. Too comfortable perhaps because I've become rather too good at it!

I agree that PES 2017 is probably the best of the PS4 era of PESes. I plan to return to it soon. I might even try the option file you linked to, just to freshen it up a bit. Do you play on manual passing/shooting?

I've done much the same over the past month or so. PES 5 is my comfortable pair of slippers. Too comfortable perhaps because I've become rather too good at it!

I agree that PES 2017 is probably the best of the PS4 era of PESes. I plan to return to it soon. I might even try the option file you linked to, just to freshen it up a bit. Do you play on manual passing/shooting?
No, I play on default controls in every football game (Superstar / 6 Stars in PES 5) - always have done :)

I probably should learn manual at some point as everyone says it's far more rewarding that way.

Friends, I read the thread and decided to buy PES 2017 for myself. I understand correctly, is this the best PES that is on the ps4 generation?

What about AI? Will I be able to see the variety of games in the Master League?

Friends, I read the thread and decided to buy PES 2017 for myself. I understand correctly, is this the best PES that is on the ps4 generation?

What about AI? Will I be able to see the variety of games in the Master League?
Hey mate,

HELL yes. This is the best PES since PES 5 I think. You'll also see fouls (remember them?!)

Still don't get awarded many penalty kicks though - saying that, I've been awarded a few. I didn't get awarded ONE in PES 2020.

Would you like to show which graphic that you want to set to transparent?

I have managed to work out the ones that I was trying to do thanks. But I know that when I try to set another one to transparent I will forget again. For me it is just trial and error.

For example I was trying to do this one Three-Logo.png for the Chelsea kit. I had to select the ’3’ with the magic wand and then right click to copy it as another layer so that the background was transparent. For me it was just by luck that it worked because I didn't know what I was doing. The problem is that I can only find out if it works after I have used pngoo to index it and then inserted it into the game. So it can be a longish process.

Then to make it a bit bigger for the Chelsea kit, I cut it in half and made both sides 32x32 pixels. But it turned out like this Three-Logo321.pngThree-Logo-322.pnga bit squashed up. I cannot work out how to avoid the squashed look so I am just using the single version.

@vinnie150862 @martyl2

I am using this option files guys - found on this very site :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d761qh1n8c32cw1/PES_2017_BOEv2DP2.zip/file

It's the best around for PES 2017 on PS4. Make sure you check out the 'Read Me' file (included in the Zip folder) before installing which @Chris Davies made as it addresses duplicate players etc.
Thanks man. Will install this tomorrow. Played PES 2017 this evening fully manual, and like you say it’s fun, unpredictable and super responsive which made all of the earlier games so good.

Good to have some life in the series yet. If it wasn’t for this forum I don’t think I’d try any of the older games. Stories of others revisiting older game’s inspires new lifeblood in the game.

Keep us posted on your progress with this one mate.

Thanks man. Will install this tomorrow. Played PES 2017 this evening fully manual, and like you say it’s fun, unpredictable and super responsive which made all of the earlier games so good.

Good to have some life in the series yet. If it wasn’t for this forum I don’t think I’d try any of the older games. Stories of others revisiting older game’s inspires new lifeblood in the game.

Keep us posted on your progress with this one mate.
You too, who you playing as? I haven’t finished editing the game yet. I fancy a Premier League save as I usually play a Serie A one.

Might go with Spurs. -1 game speed as I find default too zippy. Superstar difficulty and default assists.

edit: one thing I don’t like about PES since 2015 are the soundtracks. They need a far bigger selection of music, even if it was small and unsigned artists or something. How difficult could that be? Konami only have to tweet out “Hey who wants their song to be in the next PES? Artists get in touch with us, free advertising.”

If I mute the music in settings will this also mute the champions league and Europa league music etc? Becuase I want to hear that.

You too, who you playing as? I haven’t finished editing the game yet. I fancy a Premier League save as I usually play a Serie A one.

Might go with Spurs. -1 game speed as I find default too zippy. Superstar difficulty and default assists.

edit: one thing I don’t like about PES since 2015 are the soundtracks. They need a far bigger selection of music, even if it was small and unsigned artists or something. How difficult could that be? Konami only have to tweet out “Hey who wants their song to be in the next PES? Artists get in touch with us, free advertising.”

If I mute the music in settings will this also mute the champions league and Europa league music etc? Becuase I want to hear that.
It was actually just Barcelona because could only play as them or Arsenal as the game installed again.

Thinking Milan maybe or a smaller serie a team. PES always had a decent essence of capturing the look and feel of the serie a.

probably start top player -1 Fm passing and shooting, advanced through ball.

would otherwise pick united but severe lack of English stadiums in this one

It was actually just Barcelona because could only play as them or Arsenal as the game installed again.

Thinking Milan maybe or a smaller serie a team. PES always had a decent essence of capturing the look and feel of the serie a.

probably start top player -1 Fm passing and shooting, advanced through ball.

would otherwise pick united but severe lack of English stadiums in this one
Agree, can’t beat the Serie A atmosphere!

Yesterday I played a bit of PES 5 and PES 6. I know that PES 6 is probably considered by most the Konami's masterpiece, but honestly gameplay wise I have to say PES 5 is my absolute favourite. Would pay big money to have that gameplay in a modern PES. Imagine PES 21 graphics and league and club rosters with PES 5 gameplay...

Yesterday I played a bit of PES 5 and PES 6. I know that PES 6 is probably considered by most the Konami's masterpiece, but honestly gameplay wise I have to say PES 5 is my absolute favourite. Would pay big money to have that gameplay in a modern PES. Imagine PES 21 graphics and league and club rosters with PES 5 gameplay...
Sadly it seems there isn't a modern season patch for PES 5 like there always is for PES 6. It just doesn't have the support and enthusiasm that the latter does in the community.

Besides, I think PES 5 better captures football of its era as opposed to the modern game to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom