The Retro-PES Corner

oh, what i mean by kitserver is the custom resolution and LOD etc made by juce or jenkey, for resolution i found an extra tool that works and LOD seems to be fine so its no big deal

as for patches i kind of prefer to keep the original seasons, if i like the gameplay ill probably try find just a OF or maybe smoke patch l always liked those

oh, what i mean by kitserver is the custom resolution and LOD etc made by juce or jenkey, for resolution i found an extra tool that works and LOD seems to be fine so its no big deal

as for patches i kind of prefer to keep the original seasons, if i like the gameplay ill probably try find just a OF or maybe smoke patch l always liked those
Yes I’m using smoke patch with PES 2017, I love it as it’s customisable (and easy to install more importantly!)

If you find i want too,cause i play from laptop without physical GPU and i cannot overide the PEssettings, resulting playing without weather effects in low. The sider for 2015 unlocks only match entrance scenes and sides select.

In pes 2016 for example the tool, not sure if it is the same sider tools,in PC noob,but it has all-in-one settings, like put your own resolution, quality setings, gfx modes,addboards,referee kits,etc.

i saw some grafix related patches they probably have their own game .exe, not sure if this is the same as the classic kitserver select settings.exe unlock, i guess not, i remember for some titles modded settings.exe, ill look out for it if i do search for patch

ps the issue here is i want to try high refresh hz monitor and how this affects the response, but the fps lock is nasty it locks the refresh rate as well to 60 even if the fps lock is unlocked stays 60hz, the driver related settings do not override it, lets see if d3doverrider will work (disabling fullscreen optim. on .exe fixes it)

Last edited:
Question: if you have a crucial pen in PES, do you take the shitebag option and go low, down the middle?

Me? 100% yes.
cover6.jpg

I think settled on my football game for the foreseeable future. PES 2017.

Last night I spent a few hours downloading and installing a 2020/21 patch and have all the official stadiums, scoreboards etc but original gameplay. This game is still so much fun.

I remember @rockstrongo saying how much he loves PES 2017 a few weeks (months?) ago and have been meaning to install it so I took the plunge.

Starting a Roma save later. Love all the official chants, really adds to the overall immersion.

I’ve also figured out how to make the old PES games run smoother by changing a few settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

edit: I also risked PES 2021 as its 6 quid over at CD Keys. Installed it, played one match, uninstalled it. What a boring load of arse that game is!
Yes!
Great game ,still play it (not for a few weeks) and love it.
Physicality and unpredictability ,PES 17 got truckloads of that

Question: if you have a crucial pen in PES, do you take the shitebag option and go low, down the middle?

Me? 100% yes.
My heart says go down the middle but I often just go for the top corners. The keeper can still tip them into the net if they dive the right way. But obviously the shot can always blaze wide/high. Top Corner is just the sexier option.

update, overrides spoiler below: force off vsync in grafix driver on game, put game in window mode via game settings (or otherwise dont know no experience) its not as smooth visually sometimes (and sometimes is) but the response/input is very good id say on par with no sync at all, so one has a nice little combination now that works, only thing now is the resolutions via the extra tool do not apply to window mode so one is stuck with whatever the game has

ok so after testing all the possibilities and settings, basically the best to run pre nvidia cooperation fox engine pes (i think first was 18, fixes high refresh rate vsync/smoothness) is simply just with the in-game/default vsync which means 60 fps lock and set display to 60hz refresh rate

going higher fps and/or refresh rate has issues, the response is faster, but one notices this consistently only in the menus, in-game has weird slow downs (not fps or frame times, i check with tool, but engine related), also the camera pan does not seem to be optimized for it i think, and when kicking the ball far it does not look smooth, i mean no fps drop, no frame skip, no tearing, just a certain unsteadiness, so its both animation/physic/speed and overall impression that is not good

forcing vsync off results in tearing that is alright for some people, but capping the fps the result is also not good (below/above etc does not matter), the only option that effectively reduces input response time is pre rendered frames/render ahead/flip size queue, depending on driver version put to 1, maybe try 0 if good cpu, or in newer nvidia drivers to "on" or "ultra" or i think they even have something newer but not for my card/driver

so this out of the way ill test the gameplay now, default speed feels almost too slow for me, maybe its the cam settings

ps just doing this all btw because the 2008 ML is a bit ridiculous atm, half the goals either end are from corner kicks, and i miss every 1.25 penalty or so no joking, very rough around the edges, the com team results are weird as well, lots of low scoring games, meanwhile its circus festival matches whenever i play :LOL: need a break for now from this

Last edited:

Me? 100% yes.
I love questions like these, it's fun to see everyone's approach to things and how they like to play.

Answering the question, how I take crucial penalties in PES depends on 2 key factors, and both are relative to the specific title that I'm playing:
1. How comfortable I feel with the penalty system.
2. What are the types of shots that I recognize as most efficient.

In PES2010/PES2011 I struggled when taking penalties, they were too sensible, and the camera when taking one during the match was awkward, at least in shootouts it was behind the player, but the sensitivity was still there, in these games I'd just tap the button to shoot and hope that the keeper would dive to either the left or the right.

PES2012/PES2013 fixed the camera issue and also added a power bar, but while I could take penalties with more ease in them, I felt that they'd still go wide sometimes, and when they didn't the goalkeeper seemed to have a good chance of catching them, so here I'd also go for the middle, but with the bar filled up just over the halfway point, it's very efficient because the goalkeeper usually dives to one side or the other, and when he does stay in the middle it still has a good chance of going in because the shot usually doesn't stay 100% centered, it goes a little bit to the left or right.

PES2015 had that aiming cursor that was introduced in the previous title, and has been a staple in every FOX Engine PES, here I felt very comfortable aiming for the sides because of this cursor, so I stopped taking them in the middle. With time I also realized that if I placed the cursor at the top corner and tapped the shoot button, while also holding the bumpers so it's a chip, it'd usually go in, so that's how I took them here.

PES2018 was still the same system, but my method seemed to be less efficient since the goalkeepers could now dive pretty high with some terrible animations, it's like they actually fly, either way I had to take them differently, so I finally started taking penalties how I like them the most in real life, low to the sides and with full power! It's very satisfying and also efficient, especially when it's close to the post.

I've also downloaded PES2021 Lite and had a couple of shootouts at myClub against the CPU, here my method is the same method I had in FIFA19, just do whatever comes to mind at the time of taking the penalty because the goalkeeper will probably save it anyway regardless of how I shoot it, it feels somewhat robotic at times, so now I don't really have a method.

update

i actually had to go back to the real world with working back to normal and life fully opening back up again, with the demise of pes as we know it i intend to finish off this patch now before the new season starts as my final love letter to the history of football and the history of pes 6 in this case, hopefully Sany can do an installer then for everyone

cheers guys

Last edited:
using one of nesa's gameplay .exe's for 2015 and it feels a bit slower in speed, more smooth and responsive.
still on the edge of playable id say, i think i had 2014 a bit better in the end fully modded n more responsive, but i like the general gameplay better on 15 and will keep playing friendlies for now.
cam is hard to get right, there is not enough movement on to the far side so one ends up increasing the height value to get somewhat decent depth perception, but the higher you go the less "connected" and responsive it feels, and i never liked that too far out tv look anyway, really hard for me.
this and stadia = gameplay affection in full force on this title, really enjoy some of the goals and action, refreshing and different from 2008 which indeed feels like a more shiny and awkward best-of ps2 engine carry-over with all the down and upsides and then some

Looking for a bit of advice as I've been out of the PES scene since the glory days... Which retro PES games (5 to 2013) would still support online play against a friend with season 21/22 overhaul mods?

Last edited:
using one of nesa's gameplay .exe's for 2015 and it feels a bit slower in speed, more smooth and responsive.
still on the edge of playable id say, i think i had 2014 a bit better in the end fully modded n more responsive, but i like the general gameplay better on 15 and will keep playing friendlies for now.
cam is hard to get right, there is not enough movement on to the far side so one ends up increasing the height value to get somewhat decent depth perception, but the higher you go the less "connected" and responsive it feels, and i never liked that too far out tv look anyway, really hard for me.
this and stadia = gameplay affection in full force on this title, really enjoy some of the goals and action, refreshing and different from 2008 which indeed feels like a more shiny and awkward best-of ps2 engine carry-over with all the down and upsides and then some
If you are a fan of the old BROACASTING camera, (Playstation 2 era) i suggest PITCH SIDE with settings 0-3-0. just play with the height value to adjust ..I also want to watch action closer, to feel the weight of the animations and of my actions/mevements, but keep an eye on the rest area of the field possible.

Oh i meant that patch that is in my post. Its a youtube video, click to watch it.
I did mate - patch looks dodgy to me.

edit: let me clarify what I mean. There are so many YouTube videos offering patches. But when you follow the links, your PC gets infected with two million trojans.

I would stick to evo web for your patches, they are community approved :)

alright i dont feel i will start a ML on 15, just cant get the right setup going, its eye vs hand, visual smoothness vs response, borked engine/code, nothing you can do with that mess, from reading on 16 it got a bit better but some still felt better response on console version, red flag avoid at all cost :R1

maybe give 2013 a respin and do a full jenkey gameplay edit on it, but i feel that wont erase the core issues i had with it
back to 2008 ml aka missed penalties and headers from corners, atleast its playable

update

i actually had to go back to the real world with working back to normal and life fully opening back up again, with the demise of pes as we know it i intend to finish off this patch now before the new season starts as my final love letter to the history of football and the history of pes 6 in this case, hopefully Sany can do an installer then for everyone

cheers guys

Looks amazing, I also saw your other gameplay videos on Youtube like mid 90s Newcastle vs Arsenal, I look forward to the release of this patch that looks like some real quality work! I am always happy to see classic patches

Looks amazing, I also saw your other gameplay videos on Youtube like mid 90s Newcastle vs Arsenal, I look forward to the release of this patch that looks like some real quality work! I am always happy to see classic patches
wow i love the way u edited the stadium banners and stuff, looks as authentic as it can be.. amazing stuff

alright i dont feel i will start a ML on 15, just cant get the right setup going, its eye vs hand, visual smoothness vs response

updated the one post above with new settings, window mode is surprisingly responsive, i think i forgot to force the in-game vsync off when i tried it first time, anyway only now its enjoyable and one can concentrate on the game and not getting frustrated with slow response or tearing, had a couple good matches in a row

i think the desktop windows manager (dwm) on w10 uses a way of handling the queue/render ahead differently than usually done on directx in the past

2015 is the worst

for me 12,13 and 14 are worse, overall, did not play 16/17/19

@rockstrongo

I’m on a PES binge at the moment. Just bought a few older titles from eBay (PS4). Which is better in your opinion, PES 2018 or 19? I always value your opinion as I agree with your best/worst PES games a lot of the time :)

@rockstrongo

I’m on a PES binge at the moment. Just bought a few older titles from eBay (PS4). Which is better in your opinion, PES 2018 or 19? I always value your opinion as I agree with your best/worst PES games a lot of the time :)
I'd take 18 in a heartbeat mate.
I played a season or so on 19 ,but the AI is weird in it ,just goes down the wing ,low cross to a striker who (regardless of how tightly marked) taps it in top shelf.

18 has little to no fouls ,and the heel passes (especially on harder difficulty = above top player) but has a brilliant AI ,who dribbles ,takes shots out of the blue.
I always return and play my old ML save every now and then.

Do you still have a PS3/Xbox 360?
If,get PES 17 for it ,I think it's better than PS4/XB1 version ,stripped down ,but gameplay very good ,a bit slower.

And thanks for the vote of confidence mate💚

I'd take 18 in a heartbeat mate.
I played a season or so on 19 ,but the AI is weird in it ,just goes down the wing ,low cross to a striker who (regardless of how tightly marked) taps it in top shelf.

18 has little to no fouls ,and the heel passes (especially on harder difficulty = above top player) but has a brilliant AI ,who dribbles ,takes shots out of the blue.
I always return and play my old ML save every now and then.

Do you still have a PS3/Xbox 360?
If,get PES 17 for it ,I think it's better than PS4/XB1 version ,stripped down ,but gameplay very good ,a bit slower.

And thanks for the vote of confidence mate💚
Thanks for the reply mate - I completely forgot about the AI in 2019 and lack of fouls in 2018.

I remember enjoying both a lot more than 2020 and 2021 though. I didn’t realise but I own PES 2019 on PS Store so will download it and try it until postman delivers 2018.

I own a PS3 yes! I’d have to dust it off. Never tried PES 2017 on that generation of consoles!

Back
Top Bottom