The Retro-PES Corner

Yeah to be fair I'm probably thinking of the one's I take down the middle in the shootouts.

Free kicks direct shooting wise were ok in PES but I always found the set piece free kicks of that time mostly awful. Unless it was a free kick out wide level with the area there never seemed to be anyone to aim for, they'd make that initial run then all edge back out and you'd have to wait and hope one of them made another run.

Yeah you're right actually. I only had shooting in mind. Crossing was okay, although oddly so different from corners. But trying to get it 'in the mixer' from deep was a hit and miss (and miss, and miss) affair. Player availability in the box is poor and you rarely get any loft, to stand it up for players to attack. Like this from ISS3:

I was playing around with PES2018 some more and something really funny happened, it's probably not that funny actually, but it gave me a chuckle and it's an interesting thing overall about the game.

I mostly play as the club I support in real life, my local club, and I enjoy playing friendly matches against our local rivals, I love an epic derby every once in a while and it's my 1st choice when deciding what match up to do, so whenever it's time to do some testing to see if the overall experience can be improved, my local rivals are the main victim.

Recently my settings have been Professional difficulty, 10min matches, FUMA controls, -1 Speed and starting the match on -1 Attack/Defence levels.

So, I was doing some editing on my local club, nothing to do with stats, just some player faces, stadium picture, manager picture, kits, and then I also decided to edit the rival setting, it was empty and that's not right, so I selected our rivals for the sake of accuracy really.

After that I did some more friendly matches and suddently I couldn't beat them once, they were much more efficient, scored in every match, and had a compact defense that was difficult getting around and scoring on, I felt puzzled, but decided to shake it off, maybe I'm just not playing well today, my mind must be playing some trick on me. I went for another rematch after losing a few times, because I wanted to beat them at least once, and then in their 1st play of the match they pass the ball incredibly and cross it into the edge of my box, somewhat low, and their player hits a volley perfectly, it hits the post and goes in, at that point I was seriously confused, how did my copy of PES2018 suddently change so much?

Then it came to me, it was that one setting, I felt like an idiot for not realizing sooner and instead thinking that my game was broken somehow, I'm kind of dumb sometimes, but yeah, making the game recognize both clubs as rivals made it so they're much stronger when facing them, on one hand I like this because it's more challenging without being as robotic as Top Player/Superstar/Legend, it feels organic mostly, on the other hand I dislike this because there are moments in which it does get a bit more robotic than I'd like and it also bothers me that a rival setting like this would be the perfect time for more aggressive matches with more slide tackles and fouls, but this doesn't happen, it's a wasted opportunity, I get the same number of fouls that I usually get with PES2018, which is still low.

Then it came to me, it was that one setting, I felt like an idiot for not realizing sooner and instead thinking that my game was broken somehow, I'm kind of dumb sometimes, but yeah, making the game recognize both clubs as rivals made it so they're much stronger when facing them, on one hand I like this because it's more challenging without being as robotic as Top Player/Superstar/Legend, it feels organic mostly, on the other hand I dislike this because there are moments in which it does get a bit more robotic than I'd like and it also bothers me that a rival setting like this would be the perfect time for more aggressive matches with more slide tackles and fouls, but this doesn't happen, it's a wasted opportunity, I get the same number of fouls that I usually get with PES2018, which is still low.

That seems to sum up the Konami path from the older games. What at heart is a decent idea, make derbies a little tougher, more at stake than just the points and then rather than do it with a bit of subtlety such as raising perhaps the mental stats off the other team by a small margin they completely screw it up by making your opponent unbeatable and as you say ignore a chance to make it more feisty with tackles flying in.

Last run I did I still had no idea how to save. I remember watching a tutorial and still failing:P
If you mean to save=control the keeper, I think, I repeat I think you must press :square:with the Lstick/Dpad/arrow key.
And can't recall, due to different camera, if the controls are relative or absolute.

In PES 5 I found that if my goalkeeper stayed in the middle than I would save more penalties and I even felt like I was cheating. But in 2008 the CPU shoots various penalties which is a big plus to me. :)

In PES 5 I found that if my goalkeeper stayed in the middle than I would save more penalties and I even felt like I was cheating. But in 2008 the CPU shoots various penalties which is a big plus to me. :)
I remember in Virtual Striker, can't recall which version, I had a way to read CPU aiming in penalties, I think I was watching where his head was "facing" , and I had a pretty high average of saved PKs when defending.

I didn't work in PKs vs Sega team and in most modern versions, unfortunately :(

If you mean to save=control the keeper, I think, I repeat I think you must press :square:with the Lstick/Dpad/arrow key.
And can't recall, due to different camera, if the controls are relative or absolute.

Yep, I meant controlling the gk. Will try to remember for the next time I'll pick it up.. but I bet I'll just watch my keeper remain in the center of the goal once again :LOL:

Love you guys in this thread. I don’t come onto this forum nearly as much as I should. ❤️

Edit - Also, whilst I was scrolling through about 6 pages to catch up, I noticed a question about WE9LE PS2. I have it so I can probably help you out. Who was it that asked? Sorry, I didn’t catch the name.

Last edited:
I don’t come onto this forum nearly as much as I should. ❤️

You're right. Frankly, I'm disappointed in you.

Edit - Also, whilst I was scrolling through about 6 pages to catch up, I noticed a question about WE9LE PS2. I have it so I can probably help you out. Who was it that asked? Sorry, I didn’t catch the name.

I did the needful. Unless it wasn't @*aLe?

It was me!
Thank you for the offer but as @Flipper the Priest said he has already been kind enough to provide me with what I was looking for.

I don't think I'm missing any 0_text/data_e/data_j from the 2003/2006 era games anymore (apart from that K_League game that seems impossible to find) so it's about time I start extracting the Konami kits from those games.
Some weird and interesting things in typical Konami-style are going to be found in those files, I'm sure.

Friends, after the latest news from konami, I decided to return to the old PES games What existing game (Pes 2020,19,18,17,15) on PS4 is similar in unpredictability and excitement to the versions of Pes2011,13 on PS3? please tell me

Friends, after the latest news from konami, I decided to return to the old PES games What existing game (Pes 2020,19,18,17,15) on PS4 is similar in unpredictability and excitement to the versions of Pes2011,13 on PS3? please tell me
15 and 17 stand out to me, but attributes aren't as meaningful as they are in the older games. 15 is closer to a "sim" feeling, 17 is fast and furious (every game), with aggressive AI, but it's fun.

Does anyone know if there was ever a PES4/WE8 Camera zoom tool made for the PC? Just something I find really nice to have, zooming the wide cam out a bit. It's the only game I can't find one for. Probably the only thing from the newer PES games that I prefer compared to retro, I always feel a bit too close when I do play with the default now.
@MadbaLL Don't know if you'd spotted it.

Good news :)) There is a PES4 camera zoom tool here. Haven't had chance to try it yet though. https://evoweb.uk/threads/★-pes5-we9-le-tools-thread.85189/#post-3732620

15 and 17 stand out to me, but attributes aren't as meaningful as they are in the older games. 15 is closer to a "sim" feeling, 17 is fast and furious (every game), with aggressive AI, but it's fun.
Klashman seemed to be making the tactics settings. If these are applied to PES 2021, will it become more playable? And did you have the opportunity to compare the PS3 and PS4 versions of PES 2015?

Wow didn't absolutely remember this stuff! This is a fantastic thing in ML (Still PES 2011)

Oh, and yes, I picked a random D2 squad (IOCELANSCU or similar), edited with my local club, picked fake name generator and renamed every player in that team with an Italian one, editing ofc also the nationality

Screenshot (141).png

doesnt work
:(

I couldn't get it to work either, I just posted there so hopefully he'll be able to help. I tried a few different values but it stayed on default camera angle in game. It is changing a value in the pes4.exe because each time I load it in the tool the figure is the last one I saved. Or maybe the values are different to the pes 5&6 tool.

Wow didn't absolutely remember this stuff! This is a fantastic thing in ML (Still PES 2011)

Oh, and yes, I picked a random D2 squad (IOCELANSCU or similar), edited with my local club, picked fake name generator and renamed every player in that team with an Italian one, editing ofc also the nationality

View attachment 112929
What name generator do you use? I might use them on my D2 teams in PES 2012.
Although my biggest concern for it right now is how to have all the teams I'm envisioning in the game when there's so few team crest slots to go around (I'd like at least four more, but I used all of them up).

View attachment 112929
Out of context but wow back then the UI really is so beautiful, that trilogy of PES 2011 2012 2013.
Have tried the latter two, but might be interesting to try the first one.

Hi guys,

Because PSD has been down for about 2 weeks now, i wanted to ask does anybody know where else to get the ability stats from?

I normally update my option file everyday by updating the players stats on their birthday so with PSD being down for so long this is putting me behind with my option file. :(

Although my biggest concern for it right now is how to have all the teams I'm envisioning in the game when there's so few team crest slots to go around (I'd like at least four more, but I used all of them up).
I used Fake Name Generator and this site that I think it's specific to Italian
Out of context but wow back then the UI really is so beautiful, that trilogy of PES 2011 2012 2013.
Have tried the latter two, but might be interesting to try the first one.
Yes, I really like the UI of these PES.
Sadly 2011 doesn't have players training in the backgroud as 2013, but it has a news ticker on the main screen

There are many around. In addition to the ones @bazzigoplay297 linked, I'm often resorting to these two (which are not real "generators" but databases):
  • Behind The Name (which has also a tool to generate a character from scratch taking name and surname from the database)
  • Forebears (which is a list of the most common used surnames in every country, and for the biggest countries you could also see the most used surnames in every region).
On top of that, I sometimes use more specific resources if they're available (for example this for Belgian surnames).
While I was building my "100% unlicensed OF" for PES 3 these resources proved vital for me several times.

The absolute joy PES 5 is bringing me right now. Sure, it's showing it's age. But every damn match is so different. I've been awarded 3 penalties in my first 5 matches. Loads of fouls. The CPU fouls me off the ball and you get awarded the free kick. It's the small things, the tiny attention to detail which is now missing in new football games. I've been playing the PS4/PS5 footy games for so long now that I forgot how good and how unique PES 5 was/is. I can't stop playing it. I was up until 2am, sat up in my bed playing Master League on my laptop. My wife laughing at the close-up of Ray Parlour's face and Brooking's anecdotes on commentary.

To this very day, it's a work of art. The best football video game of all time, for me anyway.

Edit: Oh and injuries! I have two saves, one Man Utd and one Roma save. On my Man Utd save, Van Nistelrooy is out for ELEVEN weeks. And Darren Fletcher is injured for 3 weeks.

Why don't we get this in modern PES?! It's crazy!
I used to love pes 6 more. But the original season by fabri is so good. I love this game so much. In my opinion it's still the best footy game around. Every game is different. Pretty much every goal is different. Pes 6 can get a bit repetitive after a while but not pes 5. Also the player AI is so much better you can actually try different formations and players play their position

There are many around. In addition to the ones @bazzigoplay297 linked, I'm often resorting to these two (which are not real "generators" but databases):
  • Behind The Name (which has also a tool to generate a character from scratch taking name and surname from the database)
  • Forebears (which is a list of the most common used surnames in every country, and for the biggest countries you could also see the most used surnames in every region).
On top of that, I sometimes use more specific resources if they're available (for example this for Belgian surnames).
While I was building my "100% unlicensed OF" for PES 3 these resources proved vital for me several times.

I used Behind the Name when renaming regens on PES 2019 and 2020. Pretty impressive site!

Still playing PES 2011, but I'm starting to hate a lot that I can't edit the angle of the cam, I love playing "Wideangle" (traslated with Google, idk if in English is called in another name) also in new games, even if not realistic, but with 0* angle.

Is there a way to edit that with some tool?

Funny thing is that I used to play with this angle 10 years ago, I'm not used anymore it seems

15 and 17 stand out to me

whats with 16? together with 17 the two titles that would be worth checking out here
i played 20 and 18, not impressed, 20 has better weight to it but even more scripting, so im not even interested in 19

watched a bit and both have this player tilting if thats the right wording, it does look weird and unrealistic, center gravity sort of missing, its like this especially receiving passes and changing pace: \ | / tilting all over the place (body stance, angle, posture)
ps its as if someone erased some line of physix code somewhere accidently :LOL::HAND:

ps

watch here, example first time neymar gets the ball after kick-off, first when he goes to he ball, then the take, and after that, all the motions, for me it looks silly like this:
.\
.| (very short amount of time)
./ (not even a thing in real football, does happen very rarely)

Last edited:
I think settled on my football game for the foreseeable future. PES 2017.

Last night I spent a few hours downloading and installing a 2020/21 patch and have all the official stadiums, scoreboards etc but original gameplay. This game is still so much fun.

I remember @rockstrongo saying how much he loves PES 2017 a few weeks (months?) ago and have been meaning to install it so I took the plunge.

Starting a Roma save later. Love all the official chants, really adds to the overall immersion.

I’ve also figured out how to make the old PES games run smoother by changing a few settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

edit: I also risked PES 2021 as its 6 quid over at CD Keys. Installed it, played one match, uninstalled it. What a boring load of arse that game is!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom