The Retro-PES Corner

Sadly it seems there isn't a modern season patch for PES 5 like there always is for PES 6. It just doesn't have the support and enthusiasm that the latter does in the community.

Besides, I think PES 5 better captures football of its era as opposed to the modern game to be honest.
I’ve tried PES 6 a hundred times and I’ve TRIED to enjoy it. But it just doesn’t happen - it feels like a simplified version of PES 5 to me and is more attack orientated. Plus it’s far too easy.

I’ve tried PES 6 a hundred times and I’ve TRIED to enjoy it. But it just doesn’t happen - it feels like a simplified version of PES 5 to me and is more attack orientated. Plus it’s far too easy.
Yeah it just seems really stiff compared to 5 too.

It didn't feel like it at the time but PES 5 is surprisingly fluid and responsive considering it's limitations in animations and directions of movement.

But the ball physics in PES 5 are far superior to 6. You get some very satisfying ping and spray on passes, the ball bounces and bobbles realistically and you get some real nice hard strikes on this game.

PES 6's ball physics just feel soft & dulled and the passing feels like it's got this friction like it's on some kind of thick rug.

Isn't there an option to make PES 17 PS4 OFs working on PC like newer PES, right?

I can't find any "only OF" for this PES for the original 2016/2017 season, only full patches.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the PTE Patch 5.3 that seems to have end of season rosters and a complete Fake League in Asia ready to be edited. I think I'm satisfied with this situation

Last edited:
Can't help but echo the general sentiment on Pes 5. More than 15 years that I play it and, despite the pauses in between, I still regularly come back to it. I recently started another old guys challenge ML (only 33+ players allowed) and I'm having so much fun. The football feel this title can gift is still unparalleled to me. Can't remember who here did that brilliant comparison, that Pes 3 is like your prestigious european cup, and Pes 5 is your regular sunday grind.. couldn't be more accurate to describe it all.

I also want to underline how keepers for me were the pinnacles of the Ps2, here. Definitely beatable but super solid, they were essential part in the fantastic satisfaction this title gives back when you score. I personally never liked that much how they reworked them from 6 onwards.

Working late nights now trying to get this patch finished and the thing I've noticed the most game testing and tweaking is the ability of the DMs (think Busquets, Javi Martinez etc) to fill in the gaps and cover the defence when necessary. I heard that even fifa 22 now still cant get this right 15 years later after these PS2 games were released, its an absolute shitshow as we would say in Ireland that this still hasnt been addressed or fixed and if youve 100 quid to throw away on these modern games every year then good luck and god bless

Watch the video below to see what I mean

2015's AI is flawed, does not work as a unit, certain trigger zones both on and off the ball, they stand still too often, will need to look some 16 n 17 vids again to compare

ps ye its not really any different, stuff like this is why i do not play ml on new titles

Last edited:
Great to see the love PES 5 is getting here, this game deserves at least the same recognition and praise PES 6 gets (even more than that in my opinion).

I found an Option File on Youtube for PES 5 for 2020 21 season, unfortunately it had some missing teams and players, wrong kits etc so I started to update the squads, all big 5 leagues and most other club teams are done (PSD stats) and just around 15 clubs I still need to update or create since I wanted to have 6 South American clubs too, national teams I made around 15 so far. Then the kits need to be done in editor as the original file included many from 5-15 years ago... I will share when I am finished with the file.

After my so and so experience with PES 2014, I just opened up PES 2013 and played some friendlies with national teams.
I was expecting more tbh I am a bit dissapointed.
I am playing the game as I am sitting on my childhood desk so my nostalgia peaks. Unfortunately that is not to be said about my appetite for the game. Surprisingly graphics and animations look good to me, some faces look much better than PES 2021 tbh. Animations are kind of boring, but when you run the game at -1 speed look tolerable enough (and some like running are better than PES 2021 which is preposterous).
The part that has overhyped me the most was the AI and the Individuality aspect of the "Player ID". What can I say. Game got boring and repetitive after around 7-8 games. They are only capable of counter attacking and that because of the input delay when you switch players. I only concede due to counter attack, literally never saw a well developed attack even by teams such as Spain and Brazil. Strikers are inconceivably stupid. They perform 1vs4 and 1vs5 attacks on a well set defense without any dribbling skills or passing the ball. I see no individuality what so ever when the opposition strikers are playing as if Russell Westbrook is a freaking football player.
The AI dribble the ball more than PES 2021 but just like PES 2021 it is so difficult to perform skill moves. Even when you have a player like Messi, the skill moves are of no use because you lose the ball on the first collision (unlike PES 2014 that has an incredible collision system). Finally the game on Top Player is unplayable with stupid collisions, lazy AI moving according to your button inputs and some casual scripting to seal the deal.

After my so and so experience with PES 2014, I just opened up PES 2013 and played some friendlies with national teams.
I was expecting more tbh I am a bit dissapointed.
I am playing the game as I am sitting on my childhood desk so my nostalgia peaks. Unfortunately that is not to be said about my appetite for the game.

sums up most of my revisits to all the titles since pes3 over the years..

here is my fresh retrospect ranking as of today of the very top of my head in short points, gameplay only, ranked from best to worst with short negative points listed:

1. pes3 corner header goals too often, some of the dribbling to easy
2. pes4 shots are weak and weird, pace a bit too much
3. pes6 ball physix (is a fix gameplay mod), still falls behind due to worse AI than the ones above
4. pes2008 corner headers goals too often, cheated penalties
5. pes5 weak COM attack AI, weak through balls, forced sidesteps, too many fouls, not enough cards, cheated too long put away ball from foot infront of goal
6. pes2011 lack of fouls, open midfield, lack agression, player individuality lacks when controlling player
7. pes2010 COM controlled CB own team lets striker through when both await cross, need to switch to CB manual to fix, no penalties, COM slide tackle glitch no foul
8. pes 2009 ball physix /glued-magnetic, keeper shot parry infront of goal easy tap-ins

from 2012 onwards too many issues to write here and all would be worse in rating starting behind 2009 on rank 9. (not joking :D)
but id say its 18/20 > 14/15 > 12/13, did not play 16/17 and 19, 21 shouldnt be much diffrent to 20 since just an update

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind me being a shill but I made a thread for my history of PES videos just to keep them compiled for new users here who might want to get acquainted with our series fascinating and convoluted history before selling out to eFootball.

My new episode covering the PS3/Xbox 360 era released today is also over there!

https://evoweb.uk/threads/the-history-of-pes-documentary-series.87866/#post-3737706

gave 2013 another go and when looking past the player turns that i do not like its pretty good, but the COM attack AI is too repetitive and does not play well to the set tactics, made barca as progressive tiki-taka as it gets on all 4 presets all the same with positions and it does take effect in how they play but i still end up more on the ball all the time atleast in the low 60's this is boring

midfield play/compactness/aggression against the ball and build up on the ball, this balance with the COM AI i think is not there in some way or another post 2010 id say, starting with 011 (again correct me if im wrong and 16/17/19 have this)

gave 2013 another go and when looking past the player turns that i do not like its pretty good, but the COM attack AI is too repetitive and does not play well to the set tactics, made barca as progressive tiki-taka as it gets on all 4 presets all the same with positions and it does take effect in how they play but i still end up more on the ball all the time atleast in the low 60's this is boring

midfield play/compactness/aggression against the ball and build up on the ball, this balance with the COM AI i think is not there in some way or another post 2010 id say, starting with 011 (again correct me if im wrong and 16/17/19 have this)
Yeah I do think 2012 reflects the realistic nuances and team positioning better than 2013 does, the worst I can say about 2012 is the ninja dribbling from the CPU because of the fact the ball sticks to dribbler's feet but also because of that odd, hold X & release to tackle mechanic.

ninja dribbling from the CPU because of the fact the ball sticks to dribbler's feet but also because of that odd, hold X & release to tackle mechanic.

thats one of the main reasons i never bought 2012 :YES:

ps
we7i behaves differently here for some reason, on pes3 i use d3d8to9 wrapper and then force vsync, doesnt work for we7i, the patch for that is better suited though for ML :(

Last edited:
Hey! I know this is such a shot in the dark, but hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to edit a team in PES2013, with the PESEDIT patch, but all teams are licensed. I gave the old PES2013 Editor a chance but it only shows the teams from the 2. Bundesliga, which is the second division that comes with the patch (I changed it to the italian Serie B). I'm a bit lost from this point :/ If someone remembers doing something similar or remembers any info that can help, I would really appreciate it!

Guys I'm having trouble now with these collars using the 0 kit template with collar on, would anyone know the correct collar number template to use so I don't get these massive collars, the kits with collars off just look wrong as they definitely need the correct collar template

Cheers
IMG_20210809_213809.jpg

Hey! I know this is such a shot in the dark, but hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to edit a team in PES2013, with the PESEDIT patch, but all teams are licensed. I gave the old PES2013 Editor a chance but it only shows the teams from the 2. Bundesliga, which is the second division that comes with the patch (I changed it to the italian Serie B). I'm a bit lost from this point :/ If someone remembers doing something similar or remembers any info that can help, I would really appreciate it!
If I could give you the explanation clearly, PES2013 has the league structure and database separately (could be together, but here in PESEdit, they use something similar through Hex Editing). To activate the Italian Serie B, try backup your already modified edit file and then choose the Italian Serie B in the Pesedit selector (make sure you click the picture). After that, replace the Edit file, with the one that you've modified before.

Retroheads.

Shared this around so might as well do so here. I think it's onside as per the rules and regs...

The WE8LE ISO I've been tinkering with:
All original apart from Fernando's translation and kits and badges from the Reefur patch. And I've tidied up some of the player names to my strict naming conventions!

Option file:
It’s not flawless. I don't know how to fix these things, but if someone wants to do it or teach me how, that'd be ace!:

• ML youth and hidden Japanese players, and licenced stadium names, are still in Japanese. The translation maker obviously couldn’t get to them and neither can I.
  • Player announce names are all over the shop. Think that’s a product of the translation. Major editing to reassign them all and I’m not that fussed so haven’t.
  • Player nationality flags are mixed up for the nations not in the game. Not their actually nationality, just the flag. Can’t fix it with the editor.
  • A couple of league and cup logos must’ve been carried over with the kits and badges I imported. I’ve seen an unwelcome Carling Cup logo at least!
  • Some player name and number colours are off. I remedied most but I can’t change the unlicensed ones. Tried to mod the actual ISO but it crashes at start up.
  • Some player names might still be wrong. I fixed obvious errors and applied my fussy naming convention but others will have slipped through the net.
  • The flags are still on the national team kits. Again, tried to mod the actual ISO but it crashes at start up.
  • Some shop players are still unlocked and therefore unedited. None of it affects gameplay or anything. In my eyes it’s all relatively small cosmetic stuff. I’ll upload both after work and share the link!

Yesterday I played PES 5 with the fantastic Original Season patch and it happened a couple things that I don't remember seeing when I played that game at the time.

I was playing Japan against South Korea and made a long pass into the area, the keeper went forward to catch the ball but Takahara anticipated him and got the ball a second before, causing the Korean keeper to dive and foul the striker. The referee called penalty and sent off easily. Maybe it isn't that rare but I don't think that I've caused a GK to be red-carded, at least not that way.

The other thing was that after a goal kick, Nakamura (a beast in that match) jumped to head the ball, missed the ball completely and laid on the pitch until the referee stopped the match. What I found weird was that nobody was close to him so he didn't make contact with anyone, must have landed badly or pulled something because he grabbed one of his legs. I remember players getting injured but by colliding with opposing players, not by themselves.

Those little things make the game so special and makes me want to keep playing it, besides being a great game that holds up quite well after so many years.

Retroheads.

Shared this around so might as well do so here. I think it's onside as per the rules and regs...

The WE8LE ISO I've been tinkering with:
All original apart from Fernando's translation and kits and badges from the Reefur patch. And I've tidied up some of the player names to my strict naming conventions!

Option file:
It’s not flawless. I don't know how to fix these things, but if someone wants to do it or teach me how, that'd be ace!:

• ML youth and hidden Japanese players, and licenced stadium names, are still in Japanese. The translation maker obviously couldn’t get to them and neither can I.
  • Player announce names are all over the shop. Think that’s a product of the translation. Major editing to reassign them all and I’m not that fussed so haven’t.
  • Player nationality flags are mixed up for the nations not in the game. Not their actually nationality, just the flag. Can’t fix it with the editor.
  • A couple of league and cup logos must’ve been carried over with the kits and badges I imported. I’ve seen an unwelcome Carling Cup logo at least!
  • Some player name and number colours are off. I remedied most but I can’t change the unlicensed ones. Tried to mod the actual ISO but it crashes at start up.
  • Some player names might still be wrong. I fixed obvious errors and applied my fussy naming convention but others will have slipped through the net.
  • The flags are still on the national team kits. Again, tried to mod the actual ISO but it crashes at start up.
  • Some shop players are still unlocked and therefore unedited. None of it affects gameplay or anything. In my eyes it’s all relatively small cosmetic stuff. I’ll upload both after work and share the link!
Thanks so much for all your effort.

It's not even close to your HBFS Twitter standards, but if you're interested, some very hastily recorded highlights of my first ML game with a freshly created Tranmere.

The second highlight is nearly the best individual goal I think I would ever have scored on Winning Eleven. David James can go suck an egg. But I'll take 1-1 (I've included a few angles of their painful equaliser).

finally found a patch that has good team selection for ML, pes3 world patch, beside the wendetta 1.3 we7i but as mentioned has vsync apply issues, so the patch according to the readme is based on 1.0 .exe, i do not encounter the issues the off. konami patch notes state (stutter, fullscreen speed issues) but i wonder what the "gameplay improvements" mean on the first konami patch, what was the conclusion on this, the pes 3 two patches and maybe even the demo, for example i think i noticed a bit more free ball movement on 1.0 compared to 1.3

The other thing was that after a goal kick, Nakamura (a beast in that match) jumped to head the ball, missed the ball completely and laid on the pitch until the referee stopped the match. What I found weird was that nobody was close to him so he didn't make contact with anyone, must have landed badly or pulled something because he grabbed one of his legs. I remember players getting injured but by colliding with opposing players, not by themselves.
That's amazing ,you don't get that in games made 16-17 years later.
Brilliant game ,brilliant patch

Thanks so much for all your effort.

It's not even close to your HBFS Twitter standards, but if you're interested, some very hastily recorded highlights of my first ML game with a freshly created Tranmere.

The second highlight is nearly the best individual goal I think I would ever have scored on Winning Eleven. David James can go suck an egg. But I'll take 1-1 (I've included a few angles of their painful equaliser).

Straight into an ML - nice one. Pompey not dicking about with that finish.

Out of curiosity, how did you configure your league structure?

Straight into an ML - nice one. Pompey not dicking about with that finish.

Out of curiosity, how did you configure your league structure?
I'm incredibly boring. I named league A/B/C/D after the logos that most look like them (so the lion is the EPL for example).

Then, and this is slightly sacrilege... I just renamed and rebadged Cruzeiro to Leicester City, Partizan Belgrade (I think) to Derby County, PES United to Burnley and WE United to Tranmere.

I left the players as they were, except, I turned down all the attributes for the PES/WE United players, because they're stupidly high.

Then I can have a 16-team Prem and an 8-team "EFL" of sorts, with full Germany, Italy and Spain leagues.

It's a bit boring and not very "European Adventurey" but... It's how I've always done it (with Rangers/Celtic thrown in to D2 if I can't make up the numbers for any reason)...

Back
Top Bottom