The Retro-PES Corner

Those games are on my wish list. My fist game was ISS Pro 98/WE 3 and I never experienced ISS titles on SNES. I recently tried to play ISS vanilla on an emulator and I realized it had little in common with Iss Pro Evo. I was really frustrated because I didn't know how to do anything in it so I gave up. I would love to make a tournament on my youtube channel playing all of those games but I'm going to need a tutorial or something.

I also tried ISS 64 on an emulator and it struck me that you can only score after a rebound. I didn't like the gameplay, what's the point of getting in 1vs1 chances with the goalie if he is always going to save it?
Tried also to capture some ISS videos, but for some reason, my SNES emulator drops dramatically the FPS when i capture and it has no sound, i must figure out why.

As for the games at general, and now i will come back 100% serious, unfortunatelly they are pure 90's games, meaning that they lack the variety you would like in scoring goals, the most ways to score a goal, are 2-3 exploits, except for the rebounds. I would say that from ISS98 and onwards , you can score some different type of goals, and those are long range goals, except for rebound/header, that are the way to score in old games.

The long range in ISS98 , was run diagonally with the ball, then cut again diagonally-straight and shoot from distance. I remember this cause it included somewhere goal distance messurement in meters, and i was trying to break my own record!!! :P

They are very limited in this section, if i must speak serious. ISS 98 and 2000 are taking the extra step. Also yes they are nothing similar to ISS pro Evo. ISS pro EVo is a more serious game. The pure ISS series, is more an experimental spin-off.

Maybe the only way to play a meaningful game of ISS 64 is to play in the third level of difficulty against a human opponent. If you both learn how to defend well maybe it could be interesting, with the beatable goalies.

Maybe the only way to play a meaningful game of ISS 64 is to play in the third level of difficulty against a human opponent. If you both learn how to defend well maybe it could be interesting, with the beatable goalies.
If you really willing to play ISS on N64, i would suggest to go for ISS98, better than ISS64. It is a litle bit more "refined". ISS64 is more a throwback for those who played SNES. ISS98 i think is more "mature".
ISS2000 is even better graphic and content wise, but it seems to have an issue with shooting, something with "adaptive" button pushing, which i don't know how it works, since the N64 buttons are not adaptive AFAIK. It is more like your shoots will hit the sky for no reason.

Would love to watch some videos of yours with such games, as i lack the hardware to make these games-recording functional.

Last edited:
Tried also to capture some ISS videos, but for some reason, my SNES emulator drops dramatically the FPS when i capture and it has no sound, i must figure out why.

As for the games at general, and now i will come back 100% serious, unfortunatelly they are pure 90's games, meaning that they lack the variety you would like in scoring goals, the most ways to score a goal, are 2-3 exploits, except for the rebounds. I would say that from ISS98 and onwards , you can score some different type of goals, and those are long range goals, except for rebound/header, that are the way to score in old games.

The long range in ISS98 , was run diagonally with the ball, then cut again diagonally-straight and shoot from distance. I remember this cause it included somewhere goal distance messurement in meters, and i was trying to break my own record!!! :P

They are very limited in this section, if i must speak serious. ISS 98 and 2000 are taking the extra step. Also yes they are nothing similar to ISS pro Evo. ISS pro EVo is a more serious game. The pure ISS series, is more an experimental spin-off.

Nice, must try the long shot as you described it once. I occasionally play a World Cup on Iss 98 as I love the atmosphere and I could use some other way to score indeed :D .

By the way it strikes me that this games were so innovative, unique and polished on a lot of things, then they get lost on something relatively simple as keeper balance. They already had a functional one at the lower difficult level, they would have just need to copy paste it on the higher ones.. but whatever, they are still classics in my book.

However, this reflection lead me to think that indeed Kcet series had surely less bells and whistles, but was so rock solid on goal scoring variety. One of the things in Psx saga that kept me coming back for more was for sure that every kind of goal was possible and yet, of course, not always granted.. things like nutmegging the keeper, or scoring from the goal line, or from a corner.. in theory it was all there if the sum of the events aligned.

It's a sensation that most newer titles completely lost to me.

Nice, must try the long shot as you described it once. I occasionally play a World Cup on Iss 98 as I love the atmosphere and I could use some other way to score indeed :D .

By the way it strikes me that this games were so innovative, unique and polished on a lot of things, then they get lost on something relatively simple as keeper balance. They already had a functional one at the lower difficult level, they would have just need to copy paste it on the higher ones.. but whatever, they are still classics in my book.

However, this reflection lead me to think that indeed Kcet series had surely less bells and whistles, but was so rock solid on goal scoring variety. One of the things in Psx saga that kept me coming back for more was for sure that every kind of goal was possible and yet, of course, not always granted.. things like nutmegging the keeper, or scoring from the goal line, or from a corner.. in theory it was all there if the sum of the events aligned.

It's a sensation that most newer titles completely lost to me.
Yes basically try to change direction as you run before shoot. OTher philosophy is like in this video below, check after 10:29.

Also being somewhere between @Saint Angelo and @Flipper the Priest suggested, i am trying some PES 2 ML, in my pcsx2 emulator. I have my butt kicked with a variation of the ML "originals", like Espinas, Castello and Miranda. I love the 3-tier divisions structure. Shamme that KONAMI never bought it back.

Does anyone know what difficulty does it play in PES 2 ML. Is it taken straight from exhibition settings? Cause as far as i ve seen, there was only an option for ML difficulty, which i set to Hard, but i assume affects PES points aquired per match and negotiations. There was nowhere in ML settings the classic difficulty option with the 5 stars slider.

Or does the match difficulty goes packed with ML difficulty, meaning Hard ML=5 stars?

Yes basically try to change direction as you run before shoot. OTher philosophy is like in this video below, check after 10:29.

I played A LOT of ISSes 64 and 98 and I could swear I only ever scored from four or 44 yards out. Rebounds and headers from corners, or thunderbolts after running perpendicular to the sideline and unleashing one into the far corner. Last I played it was a couple of years ago I thought it hadn't aged well. I'd abandoned the N64 by the time 2000 came out, but my interest is piqued by is career mode. I think that made only the European version, could be wrong.

Also being somewhere between @Saint Angelo and @Flipper the Priest suggested, i am trying some PES 2 ML, in my pcsx2 emulator. I have my butt kicked with a variation of the ML "originals", like Espinas, Castello and Miranda. I love the 3-tier divisions structure. Shamme that KONAMI never bought it back.

Does anyone know what difficulty does it play in PES 2 ML. Is it taken straight from exhibition settings? Cause as far as i ve seen, there was only an option for ML difficulty, which i set to Hard, but i assume affects PES points aquired per match and negotiations. There was nowhere in ML settings the classic difficulty option with the 5 stars slider.

Or does the match difficulty goes packed with ML difficulty, meaning Hard ML=5 stars?

I feel I should be able to answer your query given I played a PES2 ML earlier this year! But it escapes me. @miguelfcp - you played one too did you not? We had a PES2 love-in.

I'd forgotten about the three tiers as well - big fan of that.

I played A LOT of ISSes 64 and 98 and I could swear I only ever scored from four or 44 yards out. Rebounds and headers from corners, or thunderbolts after running perpendicular to the sideline and unleashing one into the far corner. Last I played it was a couple of years ago I thought it hadn't aged well. I'd abandoned the N64 by the time 2000 came out, but my interest is piqued by is career mode. I think that made only the European version, could be wrong.

I feel I should be able to answer your query given I played a PES2 ML earlier this year! But it escapes me. @miguelfcp - you played one too did you not? We had a PES2 love-in.

I'd forgotten about the three tiers as well - big fan of that.
Yes correct about career mode in 2000. It was the precursor of BAL, but with more RPG elements, like had a date meter, that counted how good you went with your girlfriend, or with your friends, or trust meter IIRC with your coach. Had different staff not present inthe current BAL modes of PES and FIFA.

As for the PES 2 ML difficulty. Ther is on option when you start the ML, with EASY,NORMAL,HARD,EXTREME and on option inside ML options with EASy,NORMAL,HARD.

While in Exhibition it is like the 3rd picture, with 5-stars.

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_215511.jpg
    IMG_20201227_215511.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201227_215218.jpg
    IMG_20201227_215218.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201227_215013.jpg
    IMG_20201227_215013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
@Saint Angelo hey dude i saw you restored the ML defaults in a PES 3 pach, that were edited byt the patch maker. I downloaded the OF editor you shared in previous post and it works, but how is it suppose to function? It does not have neither revert to default nor player ID import. Must i edit them one by one?

what u mean my man

it's basically edited option file. PES 3 World Patch is based on Wendetta where default team is 30 people instead of 23. I changed first 23 to original defaults and remaining 7 to some unoriginal names so that they won't stand out.

I basically opened World Patch OF in one editor, vanilla OF in another, and copied all the values one by one. Was a very boring evening when I was doing that!

Unless I misunderstand the question - what the issue my man 🐑 it's just the updated OF so u swap OFs and that should be it. I was editing everything manually

hopefully this helps! 🐑

I basically opened World Patch OF in one editor, vanilla OF in another, and copied all the values one by one. Was a very boring evening when I was doing that!
That's what i did mean. If there is a way to avoid copy values one-by-one. Seems there is not.. :(

In this video I tried to illustrate all the 9 retro PES games I played so far (WE 3, 4, 2000 and PES 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). I also wanted to include goalscorers from as many nations as possible (I managed to include players from 24 different nations).

Special thanks to the great @MafiaMurderBag who inspired me to record and upload tournaments, @FootballerPOMAH whose goal compilations I wanted to imitate, and @miguelfcp for creating this special little corner.

From my most exciting game of the season to the least. Still had some goals though.

That Auxerre team had so much going for it. Boumsong, Cisse, Mexes and PlayStation 2 as your sponsor. I have that shirt actually. I'd probably have to grease myself up to fit in it these days!

Avoided a disaster too:

I had totally forgotten about contracts, 13 of which were due to expire. If they'd all buggered off I'm not sure what I would've done. The whole thing is about them!

unknown.png

Started a Master League in PES 3, with Schalke 04 , first game I drew 1-1 to Fulham , second game a pretty huge win over RC Lens. I am playing on 3/4 stars as I'm pretty new to the game but It'll be fun I hope. Will keep updating here on the save. Also, Barota is 🔥

Last edited:
unknown.png

Started a Master League in PES 3, with Schalke 04 , first game I drew 1-1 to Fulham , second game a pretty huge win over RC Lens. I am playing on 2/3 stars as I'm pretty new to the game but It'll be fun I hope. Will keep updating here on the save. Also, Barota is 🔥
Happy for you, that you enjoy those games. May I ask you as an interview out of curiosity, since I read your post that you play for 1st time those games. Back in the days you did play FIFA 04-05-06-07 or you were just too young and didn't play footy games.

Happy for you, that you enjoy those games. May I ask you as an interview out of curiosity, since I read your post that you play for 1st time those games. Back in the days you did play FIFA 04-05-06-07 or you were just too young and didn't play footy games.

Nope. I'm only 14 so I'm playing footy games since 2014, first one was Fifa 14, then Fifa 15-20 (skipped 19) . And then quit fifa altogether at the start of the year. I'm very very new to these retro games and all. And I'm only 10 months or so into the Pes series itself. I just saw a Pes 5 video of Cam and joined Evo-web just around 2 months ago. So yeah, didn't play a game until I was 9, compared to other people who I think play their first football games when they are 6 or 7 I guess.

Nope. I'm only 14 so I'm playing footy games since 2014, first one was Fifa 14, then Fifa 15-20 (skipped 19) . And then quit fifa altogether at the start of the year. I'm very very new to these retro games and all. And I'm only 10 months or so into the Pes series itself. I just saw a Pes 5 video of Cam and joined Evo-web just around 2 months ago. So yeah, didn't play a game until I was 9, compared to other people who I think play their first football games when they are 6 or 7 I guess.
No I think 9 is OK. IMHO 6-7 is too kid to even understand the basics of football, recalling by myself.

I really admire people like you, being young in the current Era, and instead of pick Frontinte or something similar, they choose some quality games from a year, even before their birthday.

And impresses me that, on top of this you like it. This means it worths.

Sometimes I feel much inferior, I was born in 1986, and probably most football games before my birthday and for the next 12 years, up to around 1998, fifa 98, ISS98 or Virtual Striker, are mostly unplayable in today's standards and fzr far from a proper simulation.

I really admire people like you, being young in the current Era, and instead of pick Frontinte or something similar, they choose some quality games from a year, even before their birthday.

And impresses me that, on top of this you like it. This means it worths.

Sometimes I feel much inferior, I was born in 1986, and probably most football games before my birthday and for the next 12 years, up to around 1998, fifa 98, ISS98 or Virtual Striker, are mostly unplayable in today's standards and fzr far from a proper simulation.

I actually don't like battle royals that much, I played Pubg for a few months back in 2019 for a few months but I just stopped playing it because it kind of got boring after some time. I really only have played a few other games other then Football games , a few racing games, and a little bit of Call Of Duty with my cousin. Barely anything else other than that. The main thing I like about these older games is that the graphics stand so well for the time, like for example I think generally people would not expect the graphics to be how they are in these older games. When I first played Pes 6 I was expecting the graphics to be something from like 90s for some reason but now my whole paradigm (thought pattern) on the graphics and older games has changed.

On the games of the 90s that you said like Fifa 98, I once played it, I think 2-3 years ago, I didn't even know how to pass the ball in the game 😂 . But yeah I'm coming from Fifa which gameplay was not good for me since FIFA 16, and I only played career mode which had 0 changes that were big or useful to me so I just stopped playing it that much, and then watching this video finished it for me with fifa:

@shareq01 Amazing! Wish you happy playtime. You're my nephew's age, he plays old PES games with me whenever we have the opportunity but it was me who taught him to play. You, on the other hand, taught yourself. :)

I'm playing football games for quite some time, but adapting to older Pes and current Pes is actually much harder than I thought. I bet if I play any of the older people here in these game I will lose 10-0 minimum lol
I am still quite ok at the game, but nowadays I have holidays for the winter, So I think in this time I could improve better.
Also the AI is much harder in older games.

Last edited:
Bravo. The observation about the graphics that still stand so well can only be made by a man of good taste. Great to have you on the forum. I would love to read your reaction to playing PlayStation1 Winning Eleven games. I think if you learn to play one of those you can play any PES easily because they contain the meat and potatoes of the subsequent titles. They are nothing like Fifa 98 and ISS 98, they are legit simulations of football.

Last edited:
Aye, welcome aboard @shareq01. Your age makes me sad - I'm old enough to be your dad - but, hey, retro PES doesn't discriminate.

Interesting to read your views. As much as I'd encourage any football fan to try golden era PES I'll concede it's easier for those who lived through that age to accept its flaws.

Glad you're enjoying it and PES3 is the perfect entry point as it's as good as it gets in my humble. And I've played - to varying degrees - every PES there is!

Would also recommend trying the PS1 versions - they aren't the easiest on the eye but the gameplay is magnificent.

I would love to read your reaction to playing PlayStation1 Winning Eleven games. I think if you learn to play one of those you can play any PES easily. They are nothing like Fifa 98 and ISS 98, they are legit simulations of football.
Which one are they? Since Pes 3 and above are PS2 games I think

Which one are they? Since Pes 3 and above are PS2 games I think

The first legit game of the series that came to be known as PES (and my favorite football game ever) is ISS Pro 98 (Winning Eleven 3 in Japan) for PS1. Then you have Iss Pro Evolution and ISS Pro Evolution 2 also for PlayStation 1.

Back
Top Bottom