The Retro-PES Corner

So I returned back to PES this week from my FIFA exodus and I was interested in simming some matches between the CPU to see how entertaining it could be, Seeing as some people were asking me in my comments to do so to make it fairer (Even though I got my arse kicked from the CPU just as much).

My justification is that usually, The CPU matches are boring because the AI is dumb as rocks when playing against each other and the game clearly boosts the CPU when you play against it - Which of course leads to the back and forth, The highs and lows and of course, The drama.

Turns out I have been mostly right, I've been simming a few matches this week for some videos and most of the time, I've had to keep restarting them until the AI did something - It must be like being a manager on the side-lines, Powerless as your screaming at a team of 10 year olds who don't understand the nuances of chance creation yet as they execute the least instinctive of decisions!

No matter what difficulty I was simming PES 5 & 6 on, The CPU would predictably hog possession with a single player for too long instead of releasing it, Dribble off the pitch when they have a clear crossing position or just pass into the meat grinder of defenders when they're in the box instead of mercilessly blasting it when they have an opening to shoot. 🙄

Oh the despair.

So my question to you guys, How did you get round this for your own projects? I seem to recall someone mentioning theirs stats you can globally tweak to make the AI a bit more decisive and productive but i cannot find it through searching.

Have you tried setting all players form to red upward arrows before you simulate the match? CPU plays way better that way when I play against it, maybe it could work in CPU vs CPU games as well.

So I returned back to PES this week from my FIFA exodus and I was interested in simming some matches between the CPU to see how entertaining it could be, Seeing as some people were asking me in my comments to do so to make it fairer (Even though I got my arse kicked from the CPU just as much).

My justification is that usually, The CPU matches are boring because the AI is dumb as rocks when playing against each other and the game clearly boosts the CPU when you play against it - Which of course leads to the back and forth, The highs and lows and of course, The drama.

Turns out I have been mostly right, I've been simming a few matches this week for some videos and most of the time, I've had to keep restarting them until the AI did something - It must be like being a manager on the side-lines, Powerless as your screaming at a team of 10 year olds who don't understand the nuances of chance creation yet as they execute the least instinctive of decisions!

No matter what difficulty I was simming PES 5 & 6 on, The CPU would predictably hog possession with a single player for too long instead of releasing it, Dribble off the pitch when they have a clear crossing position or just pass into the meat grinder of defenders when they're in the box instead of mercilessly blasting it when they have an opening to shoot. 🙄

Oh the despair.

So my question to you guys, How did you get round this for your own projects? I seem to recall someone mentioning theirs stats you can globally tweak to make the AI a bit more decisive and productive but i cannot find it through searching.

I used to run a league on PES 6 on another forum with user created teams, players etc. Each match would be done in manager mode, so the players were CPU controlled but tactics, subs etc managed by the user. Definitely had plenty of dramatic matches over the 5 years or so it was running!

At first I did kind of notice what you are mentioning. Too many teams could barely score a goal. To be honest I think PES attributes need to be adjusted for CPU vs CPU compared to player vs CPU. In my league I did the following, however the emphasis was to get more goals overall:

1. Attacking players get better stats. This doesn't mean defenders and goalkeepers are made bad, but I put in some limits like the top defence stat allowed being 75.

2. Teamwork for ALL players set to 99. I didn't research this more but it was a quick fix for what I wanted. Players were now able to carry out tactics a bit more competently, teams could string more than a few passes together.

3. All teams had to play on either normal, attacking or all out attacking mentality.

Obviously some steps are a bit radical, but I think its definitely possible to make CPU vs CPU matches exciting, although leaving tactics and subs to the CPU probably wont help much.

@MafiaMurderBag

We had some great games in the Manager Youth League that I ran on here. One of the things I've really found helpful for the AI is to set Dribbling Speed to 99 across the board. It gets rid of that 'dwelling on the ball' the AI has a habit of doing in that era. All the players in the file were set at that.

A 4-2 game here, got it at a point leading to a goal

If you watch a bit you'll see what I mean about the players not 'dawdling', they get it and get going.

This was all with modestly rated players too as they were of course youth players.

We had quite a few 3's and 4's as well. I think it's also where Juventus first scouted Dejan Kulusevski who was the player of the season :D

Last edited:
What a tournament by Davids!
Love these EURO/World Cup mods for PES6, they feel really close to reality with all those faces, graphics, etc.

I don't remember a CMF so dominant in any PES 6 patch I've played in years. Can literally do anything. Made him a captain for the final because I mean, he deserved it like nobody else 🐑

@PeterC10 Thanks for the tips, I can't believe i didn't think of maxing out team work and the attack mentality!

@Meazza84 That's also a good shout, Once again seems so obvious in hindsight! I usually leave mine on random when i'm playing but of course we want sophisticated AI, Not dopey robots in a sim match!

@mattmid Thanks Matt, Also a great tip. What editor do you use for PES 6 as i think there's a couple, I presume the one you use has global stat editing?

Dear fellas, in the past few weeks I went back on Pes 3 for some of that great archetypal football, with my old guys challenge (only 34 - plus players) ML.

Passed the WEFA group without much struggle, had some problems in the League with a ridiculous streak of draws and some losses here and there. Lost against Chievo with this great goal of Nihat:

loved how I completely fell for that Park fake triangle, while instead of passing back Nihat just turned and bombed the net.
Then this match against my Galatasaray nemesis.. and Rivaldo made me gone crazy as usual, scoring the draw in the last minutes. A nice scramble and two nice plays from the brazilian from the same match:

Then, the WEFA quarter finals against this Inter:

pes3 Inter.jpg
came.. and well, it was kinda mind-blowing. I previously beaten Inter 2-1 in league, struggling a more than little bit, but nothing left me prepared for the savagery with which they played against me.. scoring in the first minute with Crespo, and going 2 -0 with Titov before the 15th minute.

They were super compact with that crazy quality/aggressive midfield, and most of all Materazzi, Cannavaro, Zanetti and Cordob.. ehr Coldona, were impossible to play against, as they contended almost every single ball to my forwards (in particular, Materazzi looked like a cheat lol, I swear he was always there before me, no matter what, I think I won specifically zero headers against him as a Bierhoff in both games combined). Most fascinating thing, however, is that they played a super sharp, fast possession almost tiki-taka resembling like I rarely if ever saw by CPU in Pes 3. Get the ball from them was SUPER hard, especially in the first match. I recorded some small example here:
Don't know if it was cause the algorythm boosted even more the difficulty cause (WEFA) Cup, but was super cool to see despite the loss, which I luckily could contain to that 2-0 only.

Return match was similar, at least in the first half. They closed me and passed the ball around easily.
In the second half, I found courage with this Baggio's flare:

cross from Collins, Bierhoff towers on Cannavaro and perhaps for the first time in the whole 2 matches I was able to get something past Materazzi, finding a wonderful right foot with the Divin Codino which pumped me to no end.
At this point they indeed lost a bit of a confidence and I was able to close them up in their midfield, but unfortunately, despite more than one good chance, I never managed to draw and sadly went out:
pes3 2020-12-24 17-22-45-30.jpg

It burns the double because, well, I wanted to face Bayern since the last season, and would have been nice to win WEFA right after the prior season ML title. But honestly this double match felt nothing short of epic, so I'm glad it went as it went anyway, felt like something out of the old Europeans Champions Cup. Now I'll probably take another pause and then try to win the League with the matches I have left (still a few) and maybe assault again WEFA in the next season. This game is just pure magic and I'll never be tired to say it.

That said, sorry for this river of words and, despite all the fuckery that is going on in this crazy world right now, spend a Merry Christmas my retro friends :BEER:

Last edited:
does anyone here playing pes 2013 notice\test if there's a certain gameplay difference between exe versions 1.00 and later ones, 1.03-04? i've tried swtiching between them a few times, it might still be placebo or a conincidence, but i feel that the initial version has more pronounced midfield play, but it also might have less individual difference between players' supportive movement related to their teamwork stat - they all seem very adept even with a low rating. i can tell from that experience that on 1.03\04, there's always an option to advance in the build-up, there's always someone unmarked, some very obvious open spaces inviting you to go there, the wings are always open, fullback overap is ridiculously overpowered (as in most pes games to an extent, though, in my opinion). i mean, it is still far from perfect in 1.00, ai is still absurdly direct and aggressive, but there might be a difference for the better, in the release day version these passing channels are more strictly protected, you have to think about the next move with some patience. additionally, i feel there's a bit more difference in speed between players
can anyone relate to that?
also, i usually don't mind cpu cheating at all, cause you have to be challenged somehow, but in 2013 there's a thing with CPU scoring free kicks against you every game on superstar, with any average player, sometimes multiple in a game. i can't express how much i hate that since there's literally nothing you can do unlike other CPU tricks you can defend against

Last edited:
Well thanks to @mattmid, @PeterC10 & @Meazza84 suggested tweaks, I simulated a pretty eventual CPU Milan Derby. A lot more unpredictable enthusiasm from the AI.

Wherever you are in the world Retro PES connoisseurs, Have a very safe & Merry Christmas!

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas, Courtesy of the 2 best teams from the historic PES 5 - AC Milan & Internazionale... In the snow! 🎄

Well thanks to @mattmid, @PeterC10 & @Meazza84 suggested tweaks, I simulated a pretty eventual CPU Milan Derby. A lot more unpredictable enthusiasm from the AI.

Wherever you are in the world Retro PES connoisseurs, Have a very safe & Merry Christmas!

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas, Courtesy of the 2 best teams from the historic PES 5 - AC Milan & Internazionale... In the snow! 🎄

Watched it earlier while doing the dishes - a right slobberknocker!

-----

Halfway through the first season of my Originals ML:

20201224_203355.jpg20201224_203359.jpg

Did not expect that at this stage! Picked six seasons as I thought that'd be enough to get me a run at Europe, anticipating at least two years in D2 as I'm rusty, it's five stars and the team is shit - probably worse than the normal defaults. So far, so good!

Thoroughly enjoying learning the new skills as well. As modest as my output may be it's been fun learning about jailbreaking, modding, video capture, video editing etc etc.

-----

And yes, Merry Christmas everyone! It's been a testing year but I hope you all find time to take a breather and enjoy the day. Drink responsibly. 😁

i hope u enjoy the christmas time 🐑 now to respond to it all!!

@Madmac79

we should get more of this honestly that's a hall of fame worthy team!! i loved all the clips, especially the insane posession inter...Lombardia, remember when Lombardia was actually good? I've heard Inter and Milan are slowly getting up again but damn was the last decade horrendous for both

there are so many hidden details in that Werder v Inter line-ups!!

- Karpin and Mostovoi on the opposite teams (both played for Celta Vigo when PES 3 released)
- Davids - Seedorf combo in Inter's midfield, they'd probably buy Zenden and Overmars to complete that midfield but because of Barca Clause no one in Europe can have more than 2 Dutch players (except Barca)
- Mijatović - Bierhoff is like the most 90s pair of strikers I can think of, Backstreet Boys or some shit
- Titov is like one of the best hidden attackers in PES 3 (seriously), another unlikely pair with Crespo
- Baggio nr 1 badboy of PES3 Division 2 - if u cant beat them, join (buy) them. It's like buying Marat Izmailov in PES 5/6.
- German Burgos in the goal!! if Inter had Bonano this would literally be the mirror match of a century

PES 3 transfers are so good, both for players and AI. I still have nightmares about Bergkamp in HSV shirt scoring from most ridiculous angles.

Pls provide more screenshots and info so we can add it to (unofficial) ML Hall of Fame there is nothing about this team I don't love!

@Flipper the Priest

sorry but this is broken, I have not seen a default team this competent in at least 50 years.

Seeing Geovanni my heart stopped for a moment - but it's not the same guy as Giovanni from Olympiakos (Peleponissos), my greatest archenemy in PES 3 Master League!!!

A thoroughly enjoyable show i would recommend to everyone, can't wait to see where the new Juventus goes!

and now things!!!

I was talking with @Meazza84 about little retro PES tourney, after all PES 5 and 6 can be played online. Some of the tournament patches have online files included and should be playable. I think even a 4 players adventure to determine the best team of [insert tournament] would be lots of fun! Let us know if u wanna partake, it would take one afternoon at best.

Hall of Fame is a big idea, do we approach the mods, what would the formula be, how do we curate? I was thinking if there's enough quality post about certain ML here and the team is great we just add it. And HoF is just basically a list of teams with all the posts/updates linked in one place for easy access.

That's what I was thinking about.

Another big thing on me mind - would a retro PES discord be a good idea? Nothing big or official, just a personal server for more instant communication and maybe organizing online games. Not sure myself! just a thought 🐑

very happy with end of the year - this place is constantly growing, i have so much retro pes to watch and read about every day, glad to be home really! this will never get old

2021 will be the best for retro PES yet, mark my word!!

EDIT!!!!!!!!! i forgot again

I found out there's english J-League channel and they have games from 90s in insane quality. Look at it for a moment and let that sink in - it basically looks like PS1 WE/PES

its one and the same

@Saint Angelo glad you liked the recount and the videos mate! Loved all those details you pointed out, looking at the formations it truly feels like some kind of 90's/Early 00's best reunion in fact. Now that you mentioned him, good 'ol Bonano was my keeper of choice back in Psx era, must see where he ended up in my ML, even tho unfortunately I could never buy him due to the nature of this challenge (and I could never betray Burgos at this point anyway.. the guy even wears a cap by default ffs, he's just the embodiment of a retro-keeper if such thing exist.. !). Also had no idea Titov was such a secret powerhouse- with all those players, you never stop to learn things about these retro games. He surely showed what he's worth on the field anyway, lol.

Pes 3 does indeed have a fantastic AI regarding transfers, squad building and whatnot. You end up with so many interesting teams around, shame they completely reworked it in the sequent iterations. This was the Bayern I wanted so much to meet from the prior season, for example:
pes3 2020-12-25 21-18-11-57.jpgpes3 2020-12-25 21-18-24-76.jpg
I haven't checked on them since previous year and I just realized, while taking the screen, they also bought fucking Pelè in the meantime. I'm so damn mad (no pun), would have loved even more to have my butt kicked face them :RANT:. But aside from that I mean, look at the first team and at the bench. Just crazy. Well maybe next season. I hope.

Don't understand how that Hall of Fame works but sure, here is my full roster after 5 seasons (yeah we are a bit on the unproductive side of things this season goals wise):
pes3 2020-12-25 21-27-17-06.jpgpes3 2020-12-25 21-27-23-27.jpg

I'd just like to wish you all a happy christmas, I'm an old timer at this stage still in love with pes6... amazing to think theres been nothing better to play football on IMO since 2006, anyway, you do what you can in life, have a wonderful christmas guys and hopefully a fantastic 2021, BRING BACK SEABASSS ;)
You playon ps3? Doubting to buy ps3 for pes6 or xbox 360.

Being a little bit slowpoke due to Christmas and food and after being pissed off , by self-confesing old PES players, started since ISS Deluxe days, or sometimes (like recently on a sub-reddit), being pissed off by players being "really old", since PES 2009!!!! for example, or the most funny confesion i have seen, a player being old since PES 2018 days!!!! (ok that's pure funny if not a troll) and while settling down again my SNES emulator , started for different reason TBH, i ended up trying to play ISS deluxe. ;)

AND I HAVE TO SAY For one more time.... ISS is the real $hit, the real simulation experince on SNES platform. ISS Deluxe, has more teams, more options, more variation in optimisation, but it lacks the physicality (ok can't say that word for such an old game) , it lacks the solidairty and consistancy that ISS offers. :D

If i can go on exaggeration , and in a clasic KONAMI move, ISS is the more sim-based, while ISS Deluxe is more arcadey and possibly more fun, since most people tend to refer to Deluxe and forget ISS vanilla.!! :) :APPLAUD:

It is like we say, ISS was the PES 5 or 2012 of its time while ISS deluxe was the PES 6 or PES 2013 of its time!! :) :D

I know that all you WE/PES/ISS_pro_evo fans, do not give much attention to those weirdo ISS games, playing your all modern-fancy :P:BLEH::BOP: post-1998 WE/PES/ISS_pro_evo games, but i felt the need to confess my love for ISS (snes) for one more time!!! :P :P

ISS Deluxe 2.jpgISS Deluxe.jpgISS.jpgISS2.jpgISS3.jpg

Being a little bit slowpoke due to Christmas and food and after being pissed off , by self-confesing old PES players, started since ISS Deluxe days, or sometimes (like recently on a sub-reddit), being pissed off by players being "really old", since PES 2009!!!! for example, or the most funny confesion i have seen, a player being old since PES 2018 days!!!! (ok that's pure funny if not a troll) and while settling down again my SNES emulator , started for different reason TBH, i ended up trying to play ISS deluxe. ;)

AND I HAVE TO SAY For one more time.... ISS is the real $hit, the real simulation experince on SNES platform. ISS Deluxe, has more teams, more options, more variation in optimisation, but it lacks the physicality (ok can't say that word for such an old game) , it lacks the solidairty and consistancy that ISS offers. :D

If i can go on exaggeration , and in a clasic KONAMI move, ISS is the more sim-based, while ISS Deluxe is more arcadey and possibly more fun, since most people tend to refer to Deluxe and forget ISS vanilla.!! :) :APPLAUD:

It is like we say, ISS was the PES 5 or 2012 of its time while ISS deluxe was the PES 6 or PES 2013 of its time!! :) :D

I know that all you WE/PES/ISS_pro_evo fans, do not give much attention to those weirdo ISS games, playing your all modern-fancy :P:BLEH::BOP: post-1998 WE/PES/ISS_pro_evo games, but i felt the need to confess my love for ISS (snes) for one more time!!! :P :P

View attachment 74818View attachment 74817View attachment 74819View attachment 74820View attachment 74821

Quite interesting to read mate. I guess I'm on your snob, only play the last twenty years game list :P, cause unfortunately I lost the train for ISS back in the days, and never really replayed it later on except from the odd emulated friendly here and there.. but with my limited knowledge I was super sure Iss and Iss Deluxe were actually the same game lol, probably even cause an old review that said Deluxe had indeed only some more options, teams or whatever but was essentially the same game of the previous ieration.

It's fascinating to hear instead that even in the past there were such tinkerings from a "samey" edition to the other, the same ones that for the good or the worse were heavily present and discussed during all Pes shinier life phase.

Seeing Geovanni my heart stopped for a moment - but it's not the same guy as Giovanni from Olympiakos (Peleponissos), my greatest archenemy in PES 3 Master League!!!

A thoroughly enjoyable show i would recommend to everyone, can't wait to see where the new Juventus goes!

I was talking with @Meazza84 about little retro PES tourney, after all PES 5 and 6 can be played online. Some of the tournament patches have online files included and should be playable. I think even a 4 players adventure to determine the best team of [insert tournament] would be lots of fun! Let us know if u wanna partake, it would take one afternoon at best.

Another big thing on me mind - would a retro PES discord be a good idea? Nothing big or official, just a personal server for more instant communication and maybe organizing online games. Not sure myself! just a thought 🐑

Giovanni and Barbarez are two strikers that haunt me. They always seemed to score against me. Giovanni gets extra credit as he did the business on the PS1 and 2. Big, strong strikers were especially effective in the early days, and those two had pretty good feet too. And you usually faced them early on in your ML journey when you've got Daric and Stromer up against them.

Cheers for the recommendation. I'm really enjoying playing and reporting on it. Seems a bit daft as not many people are watching but I'm mainly doing it for me - that other people are enjoying it too is a lovely wee bonus!

A retro Discord might work. I'm not really au fait with the platform!

Don't understand how that Hall of Fame works but sure, here is my full roster after 5 seasons (yeah we are a bit on the unproductive side of things this season goals wise

Maybe this is how a ML HoF works? When people feel they're ready to call their ML a day, they post a roll with a season by season roundup of their achievements and squad stats? Not sure. My brain's fried. I've been out all day and - surprise surprise - it's very cold at a beach in North East Scotland.

View attachment 74818View attachment 74817View attachment 74819View attachment 74820View attachment 74821

The ISS series is on my hit list. Despite owning a SNES and loving football as a nipper, I didn't own it. It's remiss of me but I was more into the aforementioned Super Soccer! Was big into ISS 64 and 98 on the N64 but other than that my knowledge of that Konami branch is rather scant.

There's still a lot of love for the SNES ISS games out there. I'm sure there are mods and patches, mainly for Brazilian leagues.

Those games are on my wish list. My fist game was ISS Pro 98/WE 3 and I never experienced ISS titles on SNES. I recently tried to play ISS vanilla on an emulator and I realized it had little in common with Iss Pro Evo. I was really frustrated because I didn't know how to do anything in it so I gave up. I would love to make a tournament on my youtube channel playing all of those games but I'm going to need a tutorial or something.

I also tried ISS 64 on an emulator and it struck me that you can only score after a rebound. I didn't like the gameplay, what's the point of getting in 1vs1 chances with the goalie if he is always going to save it?

Quite interesting to read mate. I guess I'm on your snob, only play the last twenty years game list :P, cause unfortunately I lost the train for ISS back in the days, and never really replayed it later on except from the odd emulated friendly here and there.. but with my limited knowledge I was super sure Iss and Iss Deluxe were actually the same game lol, probably even cause an old review that said Deluxe had indeed only some more options, teams or whatever but was essentially the same game of the previous ieration.

It's fascinating to hear instead that even in the past there were such tinkerings from a "samey" edition to the other, the same ones that for the good or the worse were heavily present and discussed during all Pes shinier life phase.
hahahahahhaha...of course i am kidding here mate, i am not snob at all :D :) Just the serious part, i can't stand how everyone tries to establish his creditibilty, based in the fact that he played ISS deluxe,and only this by itslef.

You still played the latter ISS titles, 64/98/2000 though, so you still have my respect!!!! (kidding again, you have my respect either way) :D

As for ISS vs ISS deluxe breakdown, they are not for sure same games, i can confess it just by empiric trial, playing both games b2b, in ISS i can still do some of my game 26~27 years after, on ISS deluxe it seems they added some more "animations". Dont know how to name them differently , since we speak about 2D sprites here, it is like some moves are auto triggered, like in PES2019-2020-2021 for example, when you tilt the stick, but in a more ancient way.

I mean in ISS everyrthing is more binary and simplistic but closer to game logic, which seems consistent. In Deluxe it is more retrospevtive, like some good move you made before, may pay back in the future (next 1-2 seconds) which makes the game feel more "random" (for me), i assume more varied for most people.

Also as an other KONAMI tradition, they removed some staff in Deluxe , like the photographers in the add-boards behind the Goalpost line, who you could hit and drop down when you misskicked a shoot in ISS. In ISS Deluxe they are empty of people, at least in the stadium i picked to play (new feature), the Nigeria stadium, being the biggest stadium in game with 138 yards!! Yes this game has the size of the stadiums playing fields!!!! :) :P

Those games are on my wish list. My fist game was ISS Pro 98/WE 3 and I never experienced ISS titles on SNES. I recently tried to play ISS vanilla on an emulator and I realized it had little in common with Iss Pro Evo. I was really frustrated because I didn't know how to do anything in it so I gave up. I would love to make a tournament on my youtube channel playing all of those games but I'm going to need a tutorial or something.

I also tried ISS 64 on an emulator and it struck me that you can only score after a rebound. I didn't like the gameplay, what's the point of getting in 1vs1 chances with the goalie if he is always going to save it?

Yeah I think that's perhaps the biggest flaw of all those N64 titles, or at least of Iss 64 and 98. The damn keeper at the maximum level is almost unbeatable and you usually need to either score on a rebound or on some lucky once in a blue moon shot. It's really damning as it flattens dramatically the goal variety. Would have been enough for keepers to be as they are in the third level of difficulty.. instead we have those walking walls.

Super shameful as I have nothing but love for how the game is around the field.

Back
Top Bottom