The Retro-PES Corner

Oh, I just saw them right now, and is there a English version or is it in Japanese only?

There are kind of seven English language PS1 games in the lineage:

1. Goal Storm
  2. International Superstar Soccer Pro
  3. ISS Pro 98
  4. ISS Pro Evolution
  5. ISS Pro Evolution 2
  6. Pro Evolution Soccer
  7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2
The first two are pretty much Konami refining the art. ISS Pro 98 is the first great game.

The last two are really just them squeezing out more life from the PS1 as the PS2 had arrived by that point.

So it's the middle three you're after. ISS Pro Evolution was the first one to feature the Master League.

The Japanese series is slightly different as they had their World Soccer series (which generally follows the English language versions) but the also had the J.League club versions.

You won't need to look hard to find any of them online!

20201229_131037.jpg

The collection grows - shūto!

Nice

There are kind of seven English language PS1 games in the lineage:

1. Goal Storm
  2. International Superstar Soccer Pro
  3. ISS Pro 98
  4. ISS Pro Evolution
  5. ISS Pro Evolution 2
  6. Pro Evolution Soccer
  7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2
The first two are pretty much Konami refining the art. ISS Pro 98 is the first great game.

The last two are really just them squeezing out more life from the PS1 as the PS2 had arrived by that point.

So it's the middle three you're after. ISS Pro Evolution was the first one to feature the Master League.

The Japanese series is slightly different as they had their World Soccer series (which generally follows the English language versions) but the also had the J.League club versions.

You won't need to look hard to find any of them online!
Thanks for the little breakdown, The PS1 versions of PES's history is the area I'm lacking the most expertise in. I've dabbled in and out of them but it's the history/refinements I need enlightening in.

For what it's worth, Once we get to PES 1 & 2 on the PS1, It's sorcery just how sophisticated these were for such primitive hardware. I'd have love to have been an enthusiastic football gaming fan back then, Having totally no clue what good was about to come on the next generation of consoles around the corner in 99/00...

View attachment 75124

The collection grows - shūto!
Now I have played this one! It plays a very modest game but you expect that... The soundtrack on this and the Japanese PS1 titles is magical. Very much of it's time and if not for YouTube, Would be lost to the sands of time!

Crazy to think these are all just Konami's in house musicians, Just whipping up throwaway background music to regional kickabout games.

So after quite some experimenting , I kind of still have no idea how to get the game's (ISS Pro Evo Soccer 2) .exe file and how to run it. I got a .bin file for the game and a PS1 emulator, but honestly, after that, I'm just confused on what to do. Some help would be appreciated 😓

Thanks for the little breakdown, The PS1 versions of PES's history is the area I'm lacking the most expertise in. I've dabbled in and out of them but it's the history/refinements I need enlightening in.

For what it's worth, Once we get to PES 1 & 2 on the PS1, It's sorcery just how sophisticated these were for such primitive hardware. I'd have love to have been an enthusiastic football gaming fan back then, Having totally no clue what good was about to come on the next generation of consoles around the corner in 99/00...

Now I have played this one! It plays a very modest game but you expect that... The soundtrack on this and the Japanese PS1 titles is magical. Very much of it's time and if not for YouTube, Would be lost to the sands of time!

Crazy to think these are all just Konami's in house musicians, Just whipping up throwaway background music to regional kickabout games.

It can be hard to keep track. The European and North American release history is pretty cut and dried in isolation. Once you try to relate them to their Asian counterparts is where it gets tricky, and I've found it's more complicated than many websites suggest. I don't think it gets more complicated than WE7/PES3/WE7I though - they really didn't help themselves with the regional titling.

2001 was a sensational year. ISSPE2 on the PS1 and PES on the PS2 in the same year. We'd just moved house and bought a new telly for the occasion. All that CRT loveliness. 😍

I love the music (audio in general) in the Japanese games. So much funkier. I genuinely prefer it over "real" music.

So after quite some experimenting , I kind of still have no idea how to get the game's (ISS Pro Evo Soccer 2) .exe file and how to run it. I got a .bin file for the game and a PS1 emulator, but honestly, after that, I'm just confused on what to do. Some help would be appreciated 😓

You usually get a BIN or BIN and CUE file which you open. Which emulator are you using and do you have the BIOS?

I just realized I didn't have the BIOS 😂
I downloaded the ePSXe emulator, is that fine? Because it had a more updated version

Beetle PSX in RetroArch seems to be the best option, if you want to try to improve the visuals, I may give it a try later but there's some impressive videos on Youtube of what it can do to PSX games;

Ok, I got it all working now, well, how do I get my controller to work with it? I have a Xbox One controller

Ok, I got it all working now, well, how do I get my controller to work with it? I have a Xbox One controller
The Xbox One controller is compatible with PC, so I think you can plug it via USB or try Bluetooth if you can. After the computer detects it, just set it up inside the program. I'm sure you can google something like 'Xbox One controller settings ePSXe emulator" or something similar and some tutorial will pop-up

Yeah Pes 3 and other games (which I don't have a emulator for) detect it automatically when I plug it in. Hopefully the emulator does it too

You need to set it up on the emulator. Config->GamePads->Port 1->Pad 1

Then you click on the image on the window for every button, after which you press the button on your controller.

I'm not sure if you can use it. I don't know, sorry. Can you use D-pad?
I played a match with it and the funniest thing is (and the most amazing thing too) is that I got 2 shots on target and a goal. Difficulty was Normal. But I gave up after 1 match not knowing how to fix it, now I fixed it haha

I'm pretty impressed with how ISS Pro 98 looks in this RetroArch Beetle PSX emulator - PS1 games have always seemed too blocky/jagged for me when played on modern displays in emulators, with enhancements making the 3D models look super clean but out of place, with textures and UI overly blurred/smoothened, whereas here when supersampled with a CRT shader, I think maintains the original art style while bringing the image quality and detail up so it looks good in HD.

ISS-PRO-Evolution-2-Europe-201229-232407.png

Last edited:
Living in a third world country second-and-a-half world country has its perks. I might have been on an internet/TV quarantine but good-ol'-PS2 was there as the People's Saviour: it marvelously played DVDs of series and movies, providing quality entertainment for the whole family; and naturally, it kept me going with glorious retro-PES gaming too. My Parma ML on PES5 saw even more action this past week as a consequence...I'll tell you the details tomorrow, but Parma is out to conquer the world under a 35-year-old Figo's creative influence, Gattuso's energetic performances and, as usual, Riordan and Pazzini's goals.

In other news, I almost reached my goal of releasing one article per day during the whole month of December: with the idea of a "Retro Christmas" I presented the audience with one retro game/mod each day as a kind of "Christmas gift". Curiously before my forced online quarantine I had already completed and scheduled all future posts until...the 25th, so in a way, Retro Christmas ended when it actually should have ended. Anyway, I did pulverize my previous record with a total of 25 daily articles in a row, so I'm happy. Not entirely retro-PES related, but here it is, the full collection of the 2020 Retro Christmas, hopefully the first of many for I certainly had the time of my life in this particular writing journey. Hope you like(d) it!

https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/?s=christmas

---
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Because I was so late on that, I'll compensate by being early on new year's resolutions, retro-PES-fueled of course:
- play a ML on the J-League PS2 titles
- a PES2 ML
- finally conquer the International Cup with Latvia/China on PES5 after 15 years of trying (but this year is THE year!)
- a ML with the AMADOR mod
- stop buying so many wonderkids on my Parma ML, check into ML Defaults Rehab if the situation worsens

Living in a third world country second-and-a-half world country has its perks. I might have been on an internet/TV quarantine but good-ol'-PS2 was there as the People's Saviour: it marvelously played DVDs of series and movies, providing quality entertainment for the whole family; and naturally, it kept me going with glorious retro-PES gaming too. My Parma ML on PES5 saw even more action this past week as a consequence...I'll tell you the details tomorrow, but Parma is out to conquer the world under a 35-year-old Figo's creative influence, Gattuso's energetic performances and, as usual, Riordan and Pazzini's goals.

In other news, I almost reached my goal of releasing one article per day during the whole month of December: with the idea of a "Retro Christmas" I presented the audience with one retro game/mod each day as a kind of "Christmas gift". Curiously before my forced online quarantine I had already completed and scheduled all future posts until...the 25th, so in a way, Retro Christmas ended when it actually should have ended. Anyway, I did pulverize my previous record with a total of 25 daily articles in a row, so I'm happy. Not entirely retro-PES related, but here it is, the full collection of the 2020 Retro Christmas, hopefully the first of many for I certainly had the time of my life in this particular writing journey. Hope you like(d) it!

https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/?s=christmas

---
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Because I was so late on that, I'll compensate by being early on new year's resolutions, retro-PES-fueled of course:
- play a ML on the J-League PS2 titles
- a PES2 ML
- finally conquer the International Cup with Latvia/China on PES5 after 15 years of trying (but this year is THE year!)
- a ML with the AMADOR mod
- stop buying so many wonderkids on my Parma ML, check into ML Defaults Rehab if the situation worsens

Really good idea, I like that - plan the year ahead! Would save me flapping about struggling to figure out what to play next like a kid in a sweet shop.

Back
Top Bottom