The Retro-PES Corner

[
Yeah that's the guy, I was watching some gameplay of GP4 and was very impressed with how it looked and the quality of the AI. I wasn't really into F1 at the time so didn't play it myself, but it seems to be held in very high regard with a cult following on other forums/communities pretty similar to people like us appreciating retro PES.

Found this interview with Geoff Crammond from 2014 - quite interesting how the man behind such a classic and well regarded game answers the questions about the AI, other modern simulators etc, mirrors a lot of what we've been saying here about football games really;
http://virtualr.net/upload/jim-c-geoff-crammond-interview.pdf

Especially when asked about the excellent AI in GP4;

image.png

Yeah it was a great game. I had the Amiga versions. Interesting interview. I can imagine how difficult AI must be, I'm sure that's why they take the scripting route now along with targeting human v human online.

Well recently , I downloaded a new patch.
Pes 6 Phoenix 2013/14 World Cup
I downloaded the 2013/14 one because it was the first season I was introduced to football, and also first football game I ever played. Fifa 14.
So that season and it's games is really close to me.
So I thought that Pes 6 gameplay and that season would be amazing.
I played some kick off matches and then started a ML with Barcelona. Regular difficulty.
So far,
my record is:
WLWLDW
and then lose to Celta Vigo 2-1 because I virtually missed almost all chances I got.
And in the game before that I changed my formation and positions in the attack and midifield that made a huge change and I won 2-0 in that game against Villareal. This was the team:

unknown.png

Next game in the Division 1 Cup against Real Madrid (after Celta Vigo game because last few messages might confuse others) , FCB 3-0 RM . I was very nervous before this game because I was very inconsistent in the league and I was not that good (and still not that good either).
Xavi goal
Neymar Goal
Iniesta goal (Xavi assisted this)
So Xavi MOTM.
That's it so far.
Next game is against Valencia in the league I think.
But I am having so much fun I can't explain in words although when I lost those matches in the league I felt disappointed but I knew I could not blame anyone else except me for losing them.

I want to start a ML with the original season in PES6, with the original ML players (Minanda, Castolo, etc), but having mods such as some nice stadiums or faces, what patch would you guys recommend? To be honest I'm clueless, the furthest I've gotten is using Sany installers for the World Cup/Euro patches and moving the zoom setting :LMAO:
Would love to hear your recommendations!

EDIT: To be honest any season under 2009 is good for me, just the sense of something older but not that old

I think many patches from that era are long gone my suggestion would be:

1.) wait for OG Season by Fabri (supposed to come out soon I believe)
2.) for best looking patch the earliest Phoenix Patch you can find, I guess 11/12 installer should be somewhere in Sany's thread.

Perhaps there's some other older patches in there, but if you don't mind starting in 2011/12 then Phoenix is your patch! ๐Ÿ‘ Unless there's 10/11 version, I'm not really sure.

But I am having so much fun I can't explain in words although when I lost those matches in the league I felt disappointed but I knew I could not blame anyone else except me for losing them.

You can tell the difference can't you? It's not us being biased or being old ass boomers clinging to the ancient ways. It is legit a better goddamn video game, isn't it?

You can tell the difference can't you? It's not us being biased or being old ass boomers clinging to the ancient ways. It is legit a better goddamn video game, isn't it?

Yeah I can definitely feel the weight to the ball and that your tactics and editing roles and formations actually matter. Before I used to think Pes was bad (as a 10 year old Fifa boy) now I played Pes this year and changed my mind. I thought retro pes were meh but now playing them I have completely changed my mind.
I learned this:
Never Judge anything before trying it / researching about it.
The gameplay is my favourite thing (I think that's the favourite for everyone)
Small changes to my formation made a world of difference in how I played and I can actually play how I wanted to.

I loved F1 GP on the Amiga, it was a cut above the majority of games on the platform and there was nothing to come close to it in the racing game genre.

I've been hard at it in my PES 5 ML with Sampdoria. I left the last update in 2007, my third season and second in the top division. I ended up about fourth that season, not winning anything but having scored more goals and garnered a few more points. Next year, 2008, I spent loads- I already had Mancini from the previous year (he finished 2007 with 16 in the league), now I added Vialli, Gullit and Platt. Surely, with a team that at last could be compared in overall quality to some of the biggest in the world, I could challenge for the title? Well, things didn't quite go as planned. Consistency in the league was a problem, and injuries too; Vialli and Gullit (particularly the Dutchman) are prone to injury, and Vialli spent almost the entire second half of the season on the doctor's table. Gullit was in and out of the squad with shorter injuries. I finished well though, and won the European Cup/CL against Man Utd in the final, scoring a pleasing amount with a variety of players. AC Milan won the league by a few points ahead of Inter, I think. I do recall that the other leagues were all astonishingly close, I think they were all won on goal difference.

In 2009 I again failed to win the title, despite adding Cerezo (a Brazilian defensive midfielder who was at Samp in the late 80s/early 90s in real life) who proved to be a fantastic purchase- when he isn't playing his part in attacks, he is winning the ball back in defence- as well as a 17 year old Huylens (he had retired in 2008, I think) and a young Pagliuca. To accomodate Cerezo I changed from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2, with a DMF behind two CMFs (Platt and Cerezo) and two SMFs (Gullit and Ximilez), Mancini as SS behind Vialli. I added a few imaginative attacking directions for various players to move in, and it seemed to work great. I won my first six league games, but hit a bad run and out of the next six games won only twice. I recovered a little and ended the first half of 2009 by beating Juve, the league leaders. However my inconsistency never left me and I dropped more points in unexpected defeats, and to boot I was knocked out of the European Cup in the quarters by Newcastle (who have Eusebio) and out of the D1 cup by eventual winners Inter. I finished third in the league with a strong finish, just a point behind AC Milan who in turn were a few behind Juve. Chelsea won the CL, English D1 cup and Premier League! Inter won the Uefa Cup. Top scorer in the league was Ibrahimovic (I think this was the first year it wasn't Del Piero), with Vialli one behind on 15. Mancini got 12, Platt and Cerezo 7 each (most of the Brazilian's were pens). Among the other notable scorers was Valeny with 4! I have him coming straight forward with an attacking arrow, and he often seems to turn up in attack with a late run which is great. Ordaz got a few in the league, but more in the cups. Castolo has barely scored in his few league appearances in the last couple of seasons, but gets the occasional cup goal. I often employ him as an SMF late in games, one of his natural positions. Burchet doesn't get much playing time in this new formation because he doesn't fit, but I occasionally bring him on or rarer still start him as a winger if I have too many tired midfielders.

I had no spare room for new players, so cannot add Mijhalovic to the squad for extra 90s Samp flavour, so contented myself with training over the summer (I like to mix a bit of speed/stamina for a couple of weeks, then teamwork, then a couple of weeks on skills that each player is good at e.g. dribbling for Ximilez, with 'full rest' in between each two weeks of training). My first game of 2010 was against Lazio, a side that only escaped relegation on the last day of the 2009 season. I played well, but they were using a 4-5-1 formation and I was always getting the ball nicked off my foot when about to shoot, a lot of bodies at the back. Then they put a good low cross in, and Pandev leaped at it, stabbing it in from a couple of yards to beat me 1-0. I did quite well in Europe, thrashing Rangers 4-0 thanks to a dominant first half, though Cerezo missed a penalty (I selected him as penalty taker when I bought him in 2009 because I had been so bad with Vialli et al, thought I'd give him a try). My opening goal was amusing; Vialli smashing the ball at goal from a sharp angle, it comes back off a defender; he makes a bad pass back towards Iouga, and it is intercepted. The defender then turns and smashes it against Iouga, and it bounces in from ten yards!

I then played decently against lowly Siena in the league, only for them to astound me and the rest of Serie A by winning 3-0. They were clinical in their finishing, unlike me. Despite struggling in terms of league placing most of the time since Chiesa retired a few years back, they have a striker called Volpato who has been near the top of the charts in recent years, and he was one of the scorers (interestingly Parma also had a high scorer last year, Ewerthon, and like Lazio they were only saved from relegation on the last day of 2009). Not exactly the start I had hoped for, losing my first two games to some of the weakest sides in the league, knowing that the likes of AC and Juve will drop few points through the year.

My next Euro fixture was against Inter, but Cerezo missed TWO penalties this time, and Adriano stormed in two second half goals. However, I have won my following four league games and the next three Euro fixtures, so things seem back on track. Vialli already has 6 goals in the league, and I am playing quite well most games. AC Milan are currently top, Juve having lost to both them and Inter in the last two games, and I am third behind Roma. I play AC next, which could be a critical game in deciding the championship given that AC probably won't lose many matches.

Gullit has already been injured once, but is coming back to his peak (both he and Vialli were in a mid-career dip on their development graph when I bought them) and I am causing defenders problems with him. I still use Minanda often, either as a stand in for Mancini or as a replacement for either Platt or Cerezo in midfield, though I set him as an AMF and if replacing Cerezo I reduce his defensive attitude to low. He fits in well in this formation, with plenty of passing options around him. At 39 years of age though, I expect him to retire this year or next.

Oh, I forgot to mention- I sold Macco to Benfica years ago, I think it was at the end of the first season. Benfica are doing steadily better each year, and I've been checking on the Welshman's stats. He has been scoring a pleasing amount in the league, and last year I think he got 6! Not bad for a winger, and it makes me feel better about having sold him to a team that was still in the second division at the time.

Last edited:
So here's my current starting-11 and some of our boys' stats. Check out Joy Raisun and Soi Nan, our surprisingly decent Chinese footballers. I now realized I forgot to mention I had another LB, Abruzzese (one of the cheapest players in the game, has evolved nicely) and that I bought Zaccardo on this last winter transfer period - which was not the brightest decision considering Coco is doing really well as RB, plus we have the likes of Diana, Paro and sometimes even Gambino as backups. I do like his "game" as a defensive-minded SB with high defense and very nice mental stats, but boy did I inflate his value as I spent almost 10000 on his acquisition. His former team Palermo thanked me a lot; the ultimate irony is, "Palerma" (dangerously close to the club's name) means "dumb" in Portuguese. A cosmic joke. Anyway, Zaccardo might get more playing time if Mascherano can't adapt to the CB position...

Happy new year everyone. While I was doing research for an OF of mine, I came across a player I had recently forgotten.

@miguelfcp I check again your wonderkids lists. How could you skip the "next Pele"??? :D :)

*I don't even make spoiler or hints, just Google "next Pele" and you get the man!!! Just in case someone missed the media madness promotion in the mid 2000~2010. :)

Last edited:
. How could you skip the "next Pele"??

Are you talking about [HIDE]Freddy Adu[/HIDE].
I heard that he was very over hyped [HIDE]and he actually barely played any professional football[/HIDE]
But he [HIDE]made a lot of money back then with the commercials and I think I heard that Nike or Coca-Cola (could be wrong with company name) got Pele , the man himself in a commercial with him. Media over hype ruined a potential football star[/HIDE]

Are you talking about [Hidden content].
I heard that he was very over hyped [Hidden content]
But he [Hidden content]
Correct, was hyped to the sky, for some reason, by Nike,Puma, Pepsi, DC United MLS and Pele himself, as the Next "US American" Pele. He move to Benfica and ended up being loaned every 6 months here and there. I checked Transfermarkt, he made a carreer break two times the last 3 years and now he started again playing for a Swedish team of unknown divison, ร–sterlen FF ! Division 1 , third level in the Swedish football league system and consists of 32 Swedish football teams.

Apart from comercial reasons, it was very strange, cause there were other players labeled as "Next Pele" like Robinho, Nimlar, Pato, Keirrison or Kerlon, Neymar latter, but none was so directly promoted by Pele as Freddy Adu.

At least after Neymar and Messi they stopped the next Pele/Maradona stupidity.

@shareq01 to give you a bit of taste of that era ADU-hype, he was included in PES , as a free agent, or unlockable secret player, while he was still only in DC United and not in a in-game club or USA men's NT.

Apart from comercial reasons, it was very strange, cause there were other players labeled as "Next Pele" like Robinho, Nimlar, Pato, Keirrison or Kerlon, Neymar latter, but none was so directly promoted by Pele as Freddy Adu.

It is the US , they have a lot of money, they could spend millions of dollars on a third division random 18 year old and over hype a guy who is just trying to play football and have a normal career and doesn't want to be next Pele etc. Yet the media will do it just to profit off in return of the hype.

It is the US , they have a lot of money, they could spend millions of dollars on a third division random 18 year old and over hype a guy who is just trying to play football and have a normal career and doesn't want to be next Pele etc. Yet the media will do it just to profit off in return of the hype.
Just to be fair on him. He was given a professional contract in DC United, MLS, since his 14yo. He was the youngest player in MLS that achieved this. It is a mystery if it was 100% marketing firework, or had the skill as a teenager, but could not carry over as an adult player, like many player wasted-wonderkids suffer.

And that epoch, social media, like Youtube and other video streaming services were very infant to non-existent, so we in Europe could not watch him with our eyes to judge, his carreer in MLS. We were just watching him through TV comercials and reading about him by newspapers and internet news sites/blogs/forums.

I mean he was the last mystery-players from overseas. Today, when you hear about a player, you just google him and have a decently analytic result about his carreer, stats, videos, at least for those playing in the domestic leagues.

I mean in current day, 2021, you can't keep a Freedy Adu trick for more than some months, at best, before everyone see his "true" value.

and as barebone and simple as it is, it's just pure fucken fun!

Now that you mention it, I actually realize how barebones the Master League mode in these games are:
- Matches
- Signing / Selling Players
- Formations / Strategy
These 3 things is all I can remember currently off the top of my head, there could be 2 or 3 more things, but even then, that's a very barebones mode isn't it?
But yet, I completely forgot about that; why? Because the gameplay is so good and immerses you in it so well that you don't even care that the game lacks depth and features.

I mean in current day, 2021, you can't keep a Freedy Adu trick for more than some months, at best, before everyone see his "true" value.
I agree, it was just a marketing ploy by the media since they knew most people wouldn't even be actually seeing him play.

It is a mystery if it was 100% marketing firework, or had the skill as a teenager, but could not carry over as an adult player, like many player wasted-wonderkids suffer.
I think the case could be that he had the skill as a teenager, but it was blown out of proportion by the media and it was all too much for him to absorb, resulting in a failed career.

A recent one that springs to mind was a young guy at Arsenal, Gedion Zalalem that was hyped and fought over by USA and Germany as to who he would pick to play for as he was born in Germany to Ethiopian parents and moved to USA when he was about 9. Now 23, he played 2 league cup games for Arsenal and has since been let go by Sporting Kansas and New York City. The highlight of his career appears to be 21 games on loan at Rangers when they were in the Scottish Championship on there way back up the leagues.

A recent one that springs to mind was a young guy at Arsenal, Gedion Zalalem that was hyped and fought over by USA and Germany as to who he would pick to play for as he was born in Germany to Ethiopian parents and moved to USA when he was about 9. Now 23, he played 2 league cup games for Arsenal and has since been let go by Sporting Kansas and New York City. The highlight of his career appears to be 21 games on loan at Rangers when they were in the Scottish Championship on there way back up the leagues.
Yeah ,had a great ML in PES2015 with him. Gnabry and Zelalem had both suffered from the stats transition PES 2014 to 2015. They were both Arsenal msyterious wonderkids that went from 80+ and 70+ Overall stats, to mid 60's overall in PES 2015.

In real life they went invert directions though. Zelalem hardly plays in MLS, while Gnabry is 1st team player in Bayern! Nice memories! :)

@slamsoze: Honestly though I haven't published all of the striker wonderkids of PES5, I forgot him completely. Apparently he was also unlockable on the PES4 shop - can you/anyone else confirm it? -; if this is true, I'll save him for my next series, as I have a PES4 and PES6 Wonderkids series ready to boot.

I remember the incredible hype around him, the Portuguese media went absolutely nuts with his arrival. I didn't think he (or others choosing for him...) chose the right club anyway, and I don't say this as a supporter of a rival club: Benfica was undergoing a turbulent period at the time (one league title conquered in about fifteen years, a tragedy considering Benfica is Portugal's footballing powerhouse) and Adu's timing was pretty horrible too, considering the team finishes 4th in that season (another tragedy), with three different managers each failing to impress. Talent is always important but people often underestimate how much of a gamechanger timing is. Had he joined the same exact club two or three years later, probably we would now be talking about one of the best players in the world...

Back up the leagues? You mean up the leagues. They died and are an entirely new club*. I can't remember much of his time up here as he was in the second tier. Baffling place to send a promising player - there are part-time teams in the Scottish Championship. Although he did play in the (glorious) Hibs cup final. Don't think I'll ever be happier at a non-Aberdeen goal. Also worth it to hear from the Hibs fans what I consider to be the most emotive anthem I can think of.

*Only really works when there's a bluenose around to get offended!

-----

Happy New Year to the Corner and its inhabitants.

Last edited:
@slamsoze: Honestly though I haven't published all of the striker wonderkids of PES5, I forgot him completely. Apparently he was also unlockable on the PES4 shop - can you/anyone else confirm it? -; if this is true, I'll save him for my next series, as I have a PES4 and PES6 Wonderkids series ready to boot.

I remember the incredible hype around him, the Portuguese media went absolutely nuts with his arrival. I didn't think he (or others choosing for him...) chose the right club anyway, and I don't say this as a supporter of a rival club: Benfica was undergoing a turbulent period at the time (one league title conquered in about fifteen years, a tragedy considering Benfica is Portugal's footballing powerhouse) and Adu's timing was pretty horrible too, considering the team finishes 4th in that season (another tragedy), with three different managers each failing to impress. Talent is always important but people often underestimate how much of a gamechanger timing is. Had he joined the same exact club two or three years later, probably we would now be talking about one of the best players in the world...
I think he was, i remember him being unlockable that days, and always wondering what's the deal with this guy. I had also a promo-CD, came as a give-away acompaning a sportsnewspaper or a sports magazine, you could call that CD-DVDs , the youtube of that time, usally including comercial videos around the globe. There was a video of him and Pele doing flip-flops and other tricks. :P

EDIT: This video.

As for his real life carreer, i also believe Benfica was a false move that years. But when in 2010 he came to play to Greece for ARIS Salonika, he had come along with another US player, CF Eddie Johnson on January of 2010. And while everyone expected Adu to overperform Johnson, the second was the one that played better and helped the team, or left better impressions.
Adu had 5 apps/1 goal/1 assist while Eddie Johnson had 12 apps/ 2 goals/ 1 assist, but 4 apps/ 3 goals in that year play-offs. And this was the reason he earned his ''RETURN" ton English football, end of loan basically, but Fulham wanted to try him by re-loaning him to a British club.

On the other hand Adu had 4 apps but only 1 assist in play-offs, so returned in Benfica on December of 2010, but went for another unwanted loan to Rizespor.

Last edited:
@Early PES footy fan

my man this is one hell of a journey, have u got any pics too? always love to see the squads in-game but honestly this sounds so good, and with classic players too? especially since you're buying back players who actually played at Sampdoria, wow this is such a good idea!

Juventus ML with Platini and Boniek back at it again is stuck in my head now!! ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks for taking the time to write this story, I am shocked how you can still squeeze something out of Default Team players in 2009, that's respectable too, if a bit masochistic.

Macco I think is one of 2-3 defaults that actually have some future, can grow to low 80s IIRC.

Hope you can finally conquer Serie A soon! it will happen baby i know it i just do ๐Ÿ‘

Freddy Adu saga ay no I remember the man, last time I heard of him he was adventuring in Finland (2015 now that I'm reading about him). Would be fun to buy him in ML to be honest!

These 3 things is all I can remember currently off the top of my head, there could be 2 or 3 more things, but even then, that's a very barebones mode isn't it?

Somewhere in the stats menu there's total goals and assist ranking that keeps track of top goal scorers and assist kings throughout the entire game. Really hits hard after few seasons when you see top players with 100+ goals, makes for a funny goal to get your players to the top of the chart.

My record was with a youngster from my home team (recreated in PES5 on PS2), ~240 goals after 12 seasons. Really puts things in perspective, sometimes you will see some interesting names, I guess in the Phoenix you're playing or a year before Kevin Grosskreutz (remember that one??) would be top 3 goal scorer all the time.

Managed to get a few interesting player to the top of that chart. Alex Kokorin, Kiessling, Park-Chu Young, sitting on top of the world ๐Ÿ‘

I just scored a pretty good goal (imo) with Fabregas, is there any way to share it here directly or do I have to upload it to youtube?

I'm pretty impressed with how ISS Pro 98 looks in this RetroArch Beetle PSX emulator - PS1 games have always seemed too blocky/jagged for me when played on modern displays in emulators, with enhancements making the 3D models look super clean but out of place, with textures and UI overly blurred/smoothened, whereas here when supersampled with a CRT shader, I think maintains the original art style while bringing the image quality and detail up so it looks good in HD.

ISS-PRO-Evolution-2-Europe-201229-232407.png
Wow this looks ace.
Which settings are you using? I'm trying to load ISS PRO 98 with RetroArch, but it doesn't look half as good as this (even with a filter adding scanlines to simulate that good old CRT feeling).

Thanks in advance if you want to share them!

Back
Top Bottom