The Retro-PES Corner

unknown.png

Heh. Sorry to any Malaga fan happening to browse this thread.
Also, Alexis Sanchez 6 goals in 5 games ever since I moved him to CF. I knew that sometimes changing position can have a impact, but seriously, what is this? Did I activate prime Pele mode in him?

unknown.png

Also this was my team, as you can see I rotated many players. And I managed to get a better result now compared to when I played them first time in the league (with stronger team) so this proves how much getting my formation and positions correct matters.

unknown.png

Heh. Sorry to any Malaga fan happening to browse this thread.
Also, Alexis Sanchez 6 goals in 5 games ever since I moved him to CF. I knew that sometimes changing position can have a impact, but seriously, what is this? Did I activate prime Pele mode in him?

unknown.png

Also this was my team, as you can see I rotated many players. And I managed to get a better result now compared to when I played them first time in the league (with stronger team) so this proves how much getting my formation and positions correct matters.
Agree. I've played multiple World Cups/Euros and I sometimes left the best players in a less important position or even out of the starting line-up, just because it didn't fit the formation (example: Chile in 1998. Left Zamorano out and Salas as a lone striker, ended up winning against Brazil in the round of 16 and getting into the semifinal)

Also guys, may I ask, what's a reasonable amount of points to start a ML? Considering I've never played one ahahah

default team wage is about 7-8k? so if you start with default team than I suppose 10k if you're new, if ur good at the game then minimal amount is nice speedbump to delay u a little bit

Agree. I've played multiple World Cups/Euros and I sometimes left the best players in a less important position or even out of the starting line-up, just because it didn't fit the formation (example: Chile in 1998. Left Zamorano out and Salas as a lone striker, ended up winning against Brazil in the round of 16 and getting into the semifinal)

I played him as a RW and Messi CF and Neymar LW
And he made so little impact (he was almost like Griezmann in real life nowadays) , that I was thinking of selling him. Then I decide to change some stuff and boom, everything works so well.
Also, Neymar before couldn't play well either at LW maybe because Messi wasn't at his best neither was Sanchez so Neymar had to pull us to wins in the first 3-4 games. But he wasn't that great either, and that is why my first 2 goals of the season came from Iniesta, 3rd was from Neymar, and 4th was from Messi (I remember this stuff for some reason). But now Neymar is playing pretty good too, cutting inside, shooting, assisting ; what I wanted him to do.

Also, any tips on how to take better penalties? I've got 2 penalties so far and I've missed both. 😕
I think I chose 15000-20000 Points or around that

I played him as a RW and Messi CF and Neymar LW
And he made so little impact (he was almost like Griezmann in real life nowadays) , that I was thinking of selling him. Then I decide to change some stuff and boom, everything works so well.
Also, Neymar before couldn't play well either at LW maybe because Messi wasn't at his best neither was Sanchez so Neymar had to pull us to wins in the first 3-4 games. But he wasn't that great either, and that is why my first 2 goals of the season came from Iniesta, 3rd was from Neymar, and 4th was from Messi (I remember this stuff for some reason). But now Neymar is playing pretty good too, cutting inside, shooting, assisting ; what I wanted him to do.

Also, any tips on how to take better penalties? I've got 2 penalties so far and I've missed both. 😕
I think I chose 15000-20000 Points or around that
While keeping your formation the same, try to just convert your WF's to SS's. I did this change since PES5 that SS was introduced, cause WF's tend to stay a lot to the sides, plus they are covering the other Siders, SB's or SMF's, when they overlap. SS's even in the sides are more prolific, as when you attack from one side the other SS on the opposite side, cuts inside the Penalty box.

The best TIP for PK's is aim low center!!! :P :P :P, sounds cheap but you have 33,3% success rate, plus you exclude the goal kick factor!!! :D

Also a SPECIAL bonus 90's arcade oldfart trick: Before you decide your final aim, tilt the stick, or the pad, in all directions, or play it like piano if you play on keyboard (special reference 2 my friend @Flipper the Priest here :D :PIRATE:) and once you want to aim, keep down for low center PK and ssssshūto? or sssssshutō? :P !!! :D :) :) (this is a retro hocus-pocus that de-spells the CPU reading-input habbit) :P

Last edited:
@shareq01 Also if you check from PES2008 and afterwards Barcelona's default formation, ( that IRL Barcelona had an all-around-fluid-flexible attacking trio with Sanchez-Villa-Messi ) , their default formation attack line was either SS-CF-SS or SS-SS-SS. I assume KONAMI realised after the community that SS in the wing cuts better inside than the WF!!! :P

BAsically the first years it was Henry-ETo-Ronaldinho or something else, from 2011 and after, it was the short men rotating trio of Sanchez-Villa-Messi, but there was always SS-CF/SS-SS.

Went with the Phoenix Patch 2010/11, went the same way @shareq01 took, the season I was introduced to football (I know, I'm young too hahahah)

ordaz 1-0.jpg

Decided to go with AC Siena, started the Division 2 (Serie B). Castolo crosses it, Ordaz with the header, 1-0 win for us :DANCE:
Had a lot of fun, the gameplay seems so fluid! Minanda has no stamina at all (substituted at half-time) and Huylens seems like a pretty decent backup striker. Lets see if I can get promoted first try!

@shareq01 Also if you check from PES2008 and afterwards Barcelona's default formation, ( that IRL Barcelona had an all-around-fluid-flexible attacking trio with Sanchez-Villa-Messi ) , their default formation attack line was either SS-CF-SS or SS-SS-SS. I assume KONAMI realised after the community that SS in the wing cuts better inside than the WF!!!
Oh,
While keeping your formation the same, try to just convert your WF's to SS's. I did this change since PES5 that SS was introduced, cause WF's tend to stay a lot to the sides, plus they are covering the other Siders, SB's or SMF's, when they overlap. SS's even in the sides are more prolific, as when you attack from one side the other SS on the opposite side, cuts inside the Penalty box.

I have played with them Neymar and Sanchez as SS in Kick-Off some times, but they barely provide any Width, so that's why I turned them into WF because I like my wingers to be more near the sidelines to stretch the backline and then try and get the ball to Xavi / Iniesta to look for a killer pass or shoot. I do this every now and then since it kind of works but not all the time.

Sounds like you activated his Arsenal mode. Whatever you do, don't activate his Man Utd mode :D

I'll be sure not to 😂

Oh,

I have played with them Neymar and Sanchez as SS in Kick-Off some times, but they barely provide any Width, so that's why I turned them into WF because I like my wingers to be more near the sidelines to stretch the backline and then try and get the ball to Xavi / Iniesta to look for a killer pass or shoot. I do this every now and then since it kind of works but not all the time.

I'll be sure not to 😂
Yeah i know. Just try to place them as wide as possible the SS position allows . Also you can put them Individual Attacking arrows to move diagonally outisde and give you the width you need.

It will be like a lottery, some times they will move as the arrows dictate, and some times as the SS position box dictates. But as long as i used it, the AI movement let me down very rare.

Also if you check this video of mine with some crappy goal on 03:20 goal, my Left SS whom i control, starts and move in wide position and while the action is inside the area, the Right SS comes inside from wide, near the final line, while my CF is outpositioned in the left edge of the small box.

Last edited:
Wow this looks ace.
Which settings are you using? I'm trying to load ISS PRO 98 with RetroArch, but it doesn't look half as good as this (even with a filter adding scanlines to simulate that good old CRT feeling).

Thanks in advance if you want to share them!
I basically just opened it and cranked up most of the settings a bit, so maybe it's not optimal and I might have forgotten some stuff :P. Here's generally what I did anyway (assuming you have it all set up first with BIOS etc.);

Setting > Input > Hotkeys > Set something to access the RetroArch menu ingame like L3+R3
Run the game > Click L3+R3 > Options > Choose "Hardware (Vulkan)" renderer, this enables some more options after a restart.
Go back to the previous menu and restart the game.

The main settings I think might have helped are
Internal Resolution - 8x
Adaptive Smoothing - On
Supersampling - On
Multi-Sampled Anti Aliasing - 8x
PGXP Operation Mode - Memory Only
PGXP Primitive Culling - On
CPU Dynarec - Max Performance

CRT Shader was by going to
Shaders > Load Shader Preset > shaders_slang > crt > crt-easymode.slangp

As I say though I tweaked loads of stuff, pretty much turning on anything that said it would improve the visuals/performance. I put it in training mode and kept changing stuff checking it didn't break anything :D. I think the main things to achieve this look are the supersampling + CRT shader, supersampling is only available on the Vulkan renderer. One issue I haven't managed to fix though is that the intro video stutters, but all menus/gameplay seem to work fine.

Last edited:
I may have missed the Freddy Adu conversation (it’s early here in western US) but if anyone is interested, I highly recommend American Prodigy, which is a very recent (the last episode came out this week) podcast series on Freddy and it talks about his entire career, what went wrong, etc. It’s really interesting and reminds you how mental it was - and diabolical - to make a 14-year old the face of your league and savior for your sport. But we are so desperate for an American superstar footballer we’ll go to great lengths to overhype anyone.

Edit, link here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/american-prodigy-freddy-adu/id1534964872

@miguelfcp He says that leaving Benfica was the biggest mistake in his career. The club was really going through a wild time and he was unhappy with his playing time there, then went out on a series of loans that didn’t do him any favors.

I used to work in football here and knew Freddy a bit. He was very good when he was a teenager, but never seemed to improve and others caught up to him. He didn’t “barely play professional football,” he actually played a lot, just never for many clubs people heard of or cared about.

Last edited:
I may have missed the Freddy Adu conversation (it’s early here in western US) but if anyone is interested, I highly recommend American Prodigy, which is a very recent (the last episode came out this week) podcast series on Freddy and it talks about his entire career, what went wrong, etc. It’s really interesting and reminds you how mental it was - and diabolical - to make a 14-year old the face of your league and savior for your sport. But we are so desperate for an American superstar footballer we’ll go to great lengths to overhype anyone.

That makes me curious. Is Pulisic under the same kind of pressure now?

@slamsoze: If I recall it properly, Eddie Johnson was also a very promising young player on a retro-PES game, probably circa PES6. Aris Salonika's management was playing too much retro-PES at that point...sounds like Brazilian team Coritiba in 2017, when they joined Anderson and the mighty Baumjohann on the same roster, two classic PES5 wonderkids. That particular experience was so successful that the team ended up relegated...

-
After my absence I've been reading the thread and your story is really interesting @shareq01. A very young guy who grew up with modern football games but who has found more enjoyment on games released almost before he was born. It is easy for us old farts to adore these retro titles because we lived on that era and realized how much more impressive the PES series particularly was back then compared to how decadent it is now; seeing younger folks like you and @ryudek playing these classics gives me hope for the future of retro-PES. One day the old farts will be gone and someone will have to carry this torch...

-
Thanks to @Flipper the Priest's suggestion and tireless help (@geeeeee himself had first told me about this a while ago), I have...ahem...unlocked the full potential of my PS2. On the glorious debut of its now enlightened version, I had a session that is only partially relevant for our retro-PES "temple", comprised of Football Kingdom and PES1. I had played the former using the emulator but its performance was horrible compared to how smooth it is supposed to run; as for the latter, shockingly, I had never played it. My first-ever PS2 game was PES2 and, frankly, probably the reason I didn't get PES1 was because I was still completely immersed in my beloved ISS Pro Evo, which I remember dominated most of my time dedicated to the PS1 - my PS1 was more of a ISS PE Machine than anything else really. Only very recently, thanks to @Meazza84's wonderful videos, I witnessed how interesting the game looked - even in our retro-PES circle, this game is rarely if ever mentioned - and made me want to play it. So I went for an Iberian derby, me of course as Portugal vs. Spain. So far I played just this match but I loved it, even if I lost 1-4 (at halftime, Spain had 11 shots to Portugal's...0). It is to early to give an informed opinion; yet so far, what I like the most about it is the pace, which seems significantly slower than PES2 - similar to that of ISS PE, which is a great thing. All I could think about while I was playing was how the hell were these magicians able to create something so brilliant 20 goddamn years ago. It's astonishing. This is the first PS2 PES of the golden era I can say for sure that nostalgia doesn't influence my judgement at all, for I played this for the first time in almost 2021; I just jumped in on the action and was immediately hooked, sold on the game. That's the magic of retro-PES right here.

As for Football Kingdom, you will excuse my off-topic, but I had to mention it too for I had a magnificent session with it, playing it for the first time without that horrible lag of the emulator. It's indeed frenetic, arcade-ish action - the perfect palate cleanser for a guy who has been playing nonstop the gritty PES5 for a long while now -, it's buggy (though impressive for that which could have been the inaugural iteration of a series...) but some things are jaw-droppingly impressive, the player animations and ball physics coming to mind. Curiously, it is the kind of game that would, in a matter of years, be easily able to capture the attention of the modern football gaming fun (at the expense of PES and FIFA) because it is, first and foremost, and borrowing @Saint Angelo's perspective, really fun, sprinkled with some realism here and there.

@breezy: Big Portuguese clubs spent more than a decade spending millions each season on foreign talent, bringing in dozens every year - one of the reasons why they're all technically bankrupt nowadays. Naturally only few of those talents clinched a role on their rosters, while the rest was typically loaned out in ridiculous deals such as Adu being sent to Belenenses. Even if he were the Next Pelé, what would he be able to do in a mid-table Portuguese side playing alongside mediocre talent?

Great to read you played and enjoyed PES 1. I'm getting the hang of it only now, the logic of the game evaded me for a long time, probably the most difficult PES I've ever played, along with PES 3.

That makes me curious. Is Pulisic under the same kind of pressure now?

No, not close. Pulisic is hyped, sure, but he’s not under the same kind of pressure to save the sport here - the sport is fine, it’s just nice now to have a potentially-great player. Pulisic’s situation was a bit different - he had a EU passport and a stronger family situation (his dad is a coach) and was able to go overseas early and get out of the spotlight of expectations and grow.

Hey retro people. Dropping this here, maybe anyone of you know the answer? This is in WE9. I thought it's due to my kitserver being old, but the same happens with the latest version as well.

Tinker said:
Oh does anyone know why I always get Winter setting when playing the tournament, after selecting Summer in kitserver? Very annoying.

Edit, link here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/american-prodigy-freddy-adu/id1534964872

@miguelfcp He says that leaving Benfica was the biggest mistake in his career. The club was really going through a wild time and he was unhappy with his playing time there, then went out on a series of loans that didn’t do him any favors.

I used to work in football here and knew Freddy a bit. He was very good when he was a teenager, but never seemed to improve and others caught up to him. He didn’t “barely play professional football,” he actually played a lot, just never for many clubs people heard of or cared about.
Interesting post. I will check this podcast latter. You know dude, jokes aside, I had big love for Freddy Adu, both cause of Pes, left footed wonder kid, and because I assumed he was more a victim of marketing, pushing him to become something that he never meant to become.

For example, one of my favorite US players, who could be used better to promote US soccer, was Landon Donovan, who was a pure Soccer product, and was good player, MF-FW, pacey, technical gifted, all around player. Reading his Stats, he clinched in WC2006 but shined and was A USA NY leader in the regional competitions of American continent. I mean him, Bocanegra, Bradley, Dempsey, should get the lights to promote MLS.

I basically just opened it and cranked up most of the settings a bit, so maybe it's not optimal and I might have forgotten some stuff :P.
I think the main things to achieve this look are the supersampling + CRT shader, supersampling is only available on the Vulkan renderer.
Thank you pal, getting there. I mean, the quality isn't as good as the one you showed here, but it's already worlds apart from how it looked before your advice.
Thanks! 🙏

Oh, interesting

Guys, (and especially @MadbaLL ) if you know, please tell me which is the best PES 5 (WE 9, or WE9LE) patch for Season 2005/06? I would like to play a mini Serie A season.

Guys, (and especially @MadbaLL ) if you know, please tell me which is the best PES 5 (WE 9, or WE9LE) patch for Season 2005/06? I would like to play a mini Serie A season.
I recommend you to get Fabri55's original season patch if you want to play Master League or (maybe) UCL. But, if you just want the vanilla version (only licensing the clubs without "replacing" any existing clubs), you can get FLS Patch or Geezer's WE9LE Patch.

For we9le I suggest also geezers original season or the version 2006-2007 of geezer, edited by an editor named Nemanja Something.Sry forgot the name.

Well, what a first season. Started the first round of matches with 2 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats. I really lacked a good midfielder and an AMF, so Minanda could be his backup and also to take out Iouga and move Dodo to DMF. I also needed a good keeper desperately. Spent my points in M. Yamada, a young japanese AMF, T. Sousa, an also young CMF and, finally, bought Ciprian Tatarusanu for the goalkeeper position.

lineup.jpg

It worked pretty well, getting us 3 wins, 2 draws and a defeat. On the last fixture we had chances to go up, being 3rd and Lecce 2nd just a point above us. If we win against Cesena, who is second from bottom, we would only need a draw or defeat from Lecce to go up. We go into half-time losing 2-0 with two headers of Cesena's striker, completely hopeless. In 20 minutes we manage to draw with Castolo and Huylens, who had just been subbed in, scoring. We end up drawing at the Stadio Dino Manuzzi, and the news come: Lecce lost, but Bari, who were 4th, win and get promoted :CRY:

We didn't get promotion first try, but I think it was a good first season. We got some wins by so little, that I think Serie A teams would've destroyed us if we had gone up. Had a lot of fun! Specially adding the stadium for each team, adds to realism. Now, time to sign some players.

Here's how the table looked after the competition ended:

leaguet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom