The Retro-PES Corner

@Titch I'm using my Central Europe leagues option file and I did random at first before adding in some of the better teams that it missed. From memory it completely ignored Belgian teams which were in the Team A,B... slots and Anderlecht were in there which would be one of the stronger sides in the file. Quite a few Dutch teams were in (I overwrote the original Dutch teams with those) There was a mix of Austrian/Albanian/Swiss and Macedonian in what would have been the Premier and French and some Slovenian/Slovakian which were in the Spanish slots.

If we was playing ML the way it should be played then we would have sold a couple of the them in the first season. ;)

At least :DD I think you are right about the retiring, they're not retiring fast enough to get new one's up to speed before your best players get old and decline. I'm just hoping 4/5 will retire together this season coming. At present I really only have 14 players to pick from out of 23 as the others are next to useless. The one good thing though is that some of those that are now 25/26 are much better than the likes of Ximelez/Espimas/Castolo were so maybe we'll get a better level out of them for longer

@geeeeee , very fair point in above post. I can never remember getting promoted out of Division 2 in PES 2 or PES 3 without signing at least a couple of forward players to provide some much needed goals. And that was always in season 2 and 3, as you said, season 1 was all about getting a few draws and avoiding game over negative points territory.

Ahhh, this brings me back now. PES 2 Master League days, Arellano and a little Brasilian striker called Sabilio, who was a bit like Castolo, except that he scored LOADS.........:BAND:

Anyone who can win a game with Castolo in PES6 deserves a medal! He falls over more often than a Premier league footballer.

I think my Div 2 is getting harder each season, Korona got relegated and had a record of 12-2-0 last season to go back up and 28pts was second. I don't know how detailed PES is 'behind the scenes' in the management but it would makes sense that the teams going up are playing twice as many games so getting a lot more points and buying better free agents. Some idiot put Messi etc in the free agents. Rapid Wien have Messi and Pogba. Just like real football, money sadly wins the day. I'm determined to get promoted though. Oh and win a cup game :LOL:[/user]

@Titch i discovered something today regarding salaries. There is one player called Jeremy Sorbon from French team Guingamp who was always at the top end of the salaries. And i noticed that his player popularity is A. So i edited over him with Harry Kane who is always in the middle section of salaries and who’s player popularity is D.

After editing i put them in their correct teams and started a new ML. Harry is now at the top end with a player popularity of A. And Jeremy is in Harry’s old place. So i guess eventually i will edit over some of the players with the more expensive ones. The only problem is my current ‘tester’ ML will now have Jeremy Sorbon playing as a striker for Spurs. I may give my ML a rest until i have completed the file.

Still haven't reached the winter transfer break on my Season 5 of my ML, the first one on the D1...I've done 1/4 of the season, let's put it that way. So far, we're well over anyone's expectations: currently sitting 3rd, just one point away from Bayern who's 2nd - though there's a lot of teams right below us with few point differential -; also just played the first leg of the first round of the D2 Cup and won away from home against Fenerbahçe with the following starting eleven: Fredriksson; Libermann, Baumann, Jackson; Iouga, Ettori, Dodo, Macco, Giersen; Hamsun and Burchet. Used this match to rest most of my usual starting-11 players (only Fredriksson, Baumann and Jackson remained) and still I got away with a 0-2 win.

Fatigue is a b****. We were used to the rhythm of the D2 with few matches per season and lots of weeks without fixtures to be played, now on D1 after 8 matches my starting-11 was on the break of exhaustion.

@geeeeee: Let's just say playing PES with no restrictions is a 2-star difficulty challenge. Many challenges on our Scenario Vault are 3-star and above, a few even get to 6-star difficulty. I think I said this before, but it's a way of spicing the game up and at least for me it has absolutely worked so far.
Regarding the discussion about the Generations mode, if your purpose is to get a roster of players which is objectively as good stats-wise as your competitors in a D1 environment, you'd better be a patient man. That's why I gave that name to the challenge: you might have to wait Generations until your team actually becomes good enough, AND you'll have to really nail it when it comes to choosing your newcomer, because if he turns out to be a bust you've just wasted a "pick".
Yet, I don't think there's a vicious cycle in it. Most people wouldn't know this, including myself because I always ended up selling most of the defaults, but there's potential in this team. Naturally I don't expect Valeny or Zamenhof to evolve into world-class players but give lots of minutes to Jaric, Fouque, Ordaz, Stein, Dodo and a few others over the course of a few years and you'll have a platform of good players to build upon. The thing is, most people don't believe in them so they sell these players and never get to see how good they actually can be. Then, like Matt did, you tell them Ordaz actually becomes a 90 shot-acc. player at 26 or that Jaric reaches the 93 FK. acc./+90 long pass./83 defense at 24 and you just shocked them.

I'm going to show a few players of mine just to provoke @mattmid a bit, because he's playing on PES6 and players like El Moubarki (a RB, which he desperately needs) and Gutierrez were only introduced in PES2008, sadly for him.

Ia7dVErg.jpg
He's not for sale Matt.
A4JOKc4g.jpg
Another default from the 2008 generation, like El Moubarki. Not bad heh?
kfHKay2g.jpg
Also from the 2008 generation, only knows how to defend but does it very well.
uVipcqmg.jpg
Jackson was my first newgen accquired back when Huylens retired. He's 22 I think.

@miguelfcp Some great looking players there! El Moubakari would slot right in. I'll get the paper's signed :D Jackson's stats look like Jaric's, would be great to have two like him. I see what you mean about the fatigue bars, I can see them on the right. Question on that, how far do you let them go before taking them out of the team for a rest? I already thought that fatigue is going to be a real problem in Div 1. My improved players can now pretty much play every game thanks to the breaks and never getting beyond round 1 of the cup but I'm going to be really stretched in Div 1 if/when I get there.

A great start to the season for you then! It will be interesting to see how that fatigue begins to hit. There's players in mine now that decimate the effectiveness of the team if they are missing. I struggle really badly if Hamsun is missing as there's no replacement for him.

Domzale Pre Season Transfers:

I picked up two new signings. A CB and a CF. I decided in the end not to go for two CB's. There was no real stand out player available. There wasn't really two that I thought, yes, I have to sign them and with only Ordaz and Hamsun up front I need another striker to cover/grow into a replacement, or bring on when Ordaz is driving me nuts!

I picked up Herrero, a Spanish CB who can also play RB and DM (although his ATT stat needs a lot of work to be an attacking FB I would think)

His best stats at the moment are
Def 73
Balance 78
Stamina 84 yes!
Speed 74
Response 73
Header 74
Jump 74
Mentaliy 82
Team Work 71
Height 192

A really nice base to start from at 18 and yes, better than Libermann already!

The striker is a Korean named Park Jun-Hyun. There was a slightly better one available but he was too similar to Hamsun and at this stage needing quantity as much as quality in my squad I didn't want to waste a 'pick' with a player who may not be starting much.

Att 76
Balance 71
Stamina 79
Response 86
Agility 89
Shot Acc 75
Shot Tec 75
Header 73
Agg 88
Mentality 94

His speed is only 69, but with acceleration of 79 and that agility/response I think he should be very alert in the box at getting to loose balls and rebounds. Plus that speed will hopefully improve to high 70's anyway.

How is your keeper doing? As you saw mine was, well to be topical, like Karius last night!

He's seems a bit better in pre season so hopefully he'll start to improve for experience now and start to play to his stats.

Has anyone ever created the ML team in another football game?
It seems the love for them goes beyond PES :D

Has anyone ever created the ML team in another football game?
It seems the love for them goes beyond PES :D

I considered it for a bit in some Fifa chapter I enjoyed. But then I realized this was Heresy with the capital H and deleted the thought forever from my mind.

:LOL:
I have considered putting them in Sensible Soccer but who do you leave out?

@geeeeee: No problem man, I jumped in because the discussion about this particular challenge is really interesting in my opinion. It's the first time I've ever done a Generations mode so it's uncharted territory, have no idea about what is my team going to look like in the following seasons or whether we'll win any top-level silverware.
Regarding your question, yes it's PES2008 on the PS2. My controller is not the PS2 dualshock, but I'm 99% sure its cable won't last another month so I'll have to get another one. I have a dualshock but after many years of being stored god knows where it's not working properly...

@mattmid: That's the million dollar question! Ever since I started playing PES I've been really concerned about the fatigue bar, never letting it rise above the mid-way point. The issue now is that only a few players in my squad are good enough for the level of competitiveness of the D1, mainly the starting-11 and just a few bench players, so I'm giving them no rest. Baumann's fatigue level just filled the entire fatigue bar, something that never happened to me in any PES. I decided to finally rest him, fearing if I'd play him he'd get seriously injured, and on the following match after his day of rest his fatigue level was reduced like 80/90%.
Thankfully I just had my first cup match where I could rest most of my first-teamers, I'll find out later this evening how it'll impact their fatigue levels for our next fixture.

And to think I could've clinched promotion in earlier seasons...I'm beginning to believe it's actually a good thing to spend more time in D2 building your core of players, getting a few newcomers to join in, and then finally you're able to become a decent D1 team...currently I have that core but I lack bench depth.

I'm really impressed with Herrero, didn't know him. With a statsheet like that he could be your joker and play just about anywhere on the pitch, what a machine! Regarding your striker Park, I love the fact that he has 94 mentality. Honestly if I'd get a striker for my team now I would choose him too because he looks like that kind of player who'd play wonderfully off the bench. Years ago I bought him for another save of mine but he was horrible, never got the best of him. I guess it's because he's kind of an "Inzaghi": he's a goalscorer but not much else.

Fredriksson is doing fine, another spoiler: we're one of the best defenses in the league right now. If you consider we were almost never among the best defensive records in D2, now with exactly the same squad except for the newcomer goalkeeper we're one of the best in the top division. Numbers don't lie, he's that good. I've also tried to score a few freekicks with him but no luck so far!
I really like the fact that your keeper Kremer has very high response, but he still has to improve on his defense stat. I think if you keep betting on him in a year he'll be more than decent in that regard, and you'll have your keeper for the future.

In PES3 there was no player development, but it was possible to sign youths and build up their stats for a short while. Each player would gain points depending on how well they had played. The great thing was YOU could decide where to put them. Would certainly solve the stamina problem!

I don't remember doing any ML in PES3, was completely unaware of that. Anyway, I can't complain about PES08's development system which is absolutely realistic in my opinion. I spent many seasons giving as much minutes to younger guys and as less minutes possible to the older ones in order to develop a young core of defaults. It worked, I now have that core, now the next step is use it to establish ourselves in D1, wait 1-2 years for the Iougas and Cecius and Espimas and others to retire and bring in more newcomers to strengthen that core.

@miguelfcp Kremer is improving bit by bit on his stats but he's still awful in goal! He doesn't save anything and (spoilers) he's cost me two games already in the first five games of this season. Another 5 goal against in one of them as well. That's three times he's conceded five goals now.

Herrero has been excellent and his stats are racing up each game, he's moving about 20 per game at the moment! He's proving really solid at the back already.

Park is proving very quick to things in and around the box and has hit the ground running. His stats aren't moving that quick but they're moving. I will work on his speed in pre season training over the next couple of seasons I think. Ordaz is where he belongs at the moment, on the bench. He's so frustrating given his stats.

Just don't hit the wall with a Fredriksson free kick!

@mattmid: Hmmm, maybe that's why every free kick he takes flies way over the goal...I'm too scared of a possible counterattack!

Don't lose faith on Kremer. Typically keepers peak later on, so you might have to wait a few years until you see the best of him. That reminds me, Lothar is declining his stats! Obviously the fact that he doesn't get any minutes helps, but you know you're cr*p when you start declining as a 26-year-old football keeper...

Really excited to see how your young players develop, particularly Herrero who definitely catched my eye (will look for him in my database).

FC United - Season 3 - End of season update

1st game at home vs Leeds (they just above us in table).
Karius, are you playing volleyball set up the ball for Morison's head spike?
It hurt so much not to get 3 point at home against team around us. Match rating for Stein 7.5 and Dodo 8 which is highest in this save.
!TABLE.JPG
Top Scorer: 3 Hamsun 2 (Jaric, Huylens)
Top Assists: 2 (Macca, Ximelez)
Top Rating: 6.4 (Dodo, Stein)
Worst Rating: 4.9 Ivarov {Worst in D2}
Promotion: Middlesbrough & Crystal Palace
Relegation: Reading & Blackpool
Transfer: No

@wildwind Ivarov 4.9!! :BLINK: Ouch. At least Dodo and Stein are doing well.

Is Hamsun starting to improve now?

Tough isn't it? Still nobody retired? Season 4 was my first I think or was it 5, yeah 5 I think. Talking of which, @miguelfcp Zamenhof has announced his retirement, although it's not entirely clear what it is he's retiring from!!! Huylens is 41 and hasn't announced retiring this season yet!

PES 3: after a colorless draw in Division 2, and the elimination by Fulham in the D2 cup in the return match in which I tried a super offensive, high in the pitch/offside trap Zeman style 4-3-3 with disastrous results (gonna have to study a better way to make it work, it's just another universe compared with the modern Serie A 4-3-3) it was time for me to face Lisbonera (Benfica), first in the division, and a victory is absolutely needed for me to stay in the playoff train. Not a game for faint hearted and one I'll love to share the story about!

I momentarily dropped any experiment and started with the classic 3-4-1-2 default of the game, I had to renounce some super tired pupils of mine like Vornander and Njorgo, so I put in respectively Stremer and Barota.. worth to note that the spanish classic number nine didn't played the best of the championships until now.

Thanks to Ximelez and Espimas, both in a very good shape, I'm dominating the sides for an aggressive start, but it's indeed Barota that works a beautiful ball on the right side of the area, put it towards the second post for his fellow countryman Ximelez that with a nice header beats the keeper.
The first half finishes with me in total control of the game, but in the beginning of the second the cold shower arrives: set piece for them, cross in and they draw with a nice header.
At this point I need a change, Minanda is dead tired and inspired by some of your posts about him, I look at the bench to find Burchet in a nice orange shape.. so, in him behind the forwards and Njorgo for Iouga as another box-man in a desperate all out formation.
Substitutions couldn't have been better: Njorgo is fighting like a lion as usual but most of all Burchet is truly everywhere in a way that I couldn't have possibly expected and finally score the 2-1 himself with a nice low shot at the right of the keeper!

But soccer (more so Pes) is strange, and when I thought I won, with 15 virtual minutes to go, the same Burchet commit an avoidable foul near the right side of my box.. another set piece and another head goal from them..
But when everything seemed lost, with the strenght of desperation I earned a free kick myself near their area, with only 2 or 3 minutes to go.. and Barota on the second post crowned his beautiful performance with an header that it's worth 3 points! Incredible game like I couldn't remember in a good while!

Now I have 12 points as the second team, Longobarda, and Lisbonera is first with only 14.. only a couple of games to go, it will be an hell of a final in Second Division..

Have a good chunk of stuff to write about Pes 2014 and most of all immortal Pes5 , but I'll save it for a later post as I already wrote enough I think :D .

Looking like I'll have time to stream some more of my ML today. Hope no game over. I need some PES funds!

@Matt10 Pre season saved me in season 1! In fact both the first two seasons I only cleared the salary in pre season.

@Madmac79 Nice write up, sounds like quite a game! Glad you beat then and nice that Burchet could make an impact too. Looks like it's going to be quite a tight finish to the season. Good luck!

Domzale Season 7 Winter Break:

Another eventful half season (is it ever not!? ) that saw yet another 5 goals conceded in a game with Kremer between the sticks.

It all started rather calmly with a 1-0 away win at Vardar who I still wish I could play every week. A Kremer clean sheet to start the season, things were on the up for him. The goal scored by that man Hamsun.

Next it was GA Eagles and I went in at half time 2-0 ahead with Park Jun-Hyun getting his first ever Domzale goal and seemingly very comfortable with them offering little threat. Five minutes into the second half and it's 2-2! We kept knocking at the door though and eventually Hamsun got what turned out to be the winner. A 100% start, it was all going too well, I knew that by now.

A visit to Poznan next and all hell let loose. Kremer decided he wasn't going to save anything no matter how near to him it was and we found ourselves 2-1 down at half time after going ahead. Second half was an end to end affair, we added 2 more but Poznan added 3 more for a 5-3 win.

The PES fixture generator then had a laugh with me by of course arranging St Polten to come after that. I was swiftly 1-0 down and though here we go again. Then a corner richocheted around the box and dropped nicely at the feet of Stein who prodded it home. HT 1-1. We then went 3-1 up in the second half before a late St Polten goal made it 3-2 to make a nervy last 10 minutes. But we held out for the win.

Then came a visit to Alkmaar for what turned out to be a very tight game with neither giving much away, both sides had no more than half chances really and it ended with a 0-0 draw.

After going out to Lokeren in the cup (1-1 , 1-3) having still not won a single leg of cup football in 14 attempts now it was time to play them in the League. They are a very strong side, having been promoted the very first season with 29pts and going straight back up a couple of season ago after getting relegate again with points in the high 20's.
I managed to get 2 men sent off and was roundly beaten 3-0.

Last game was against my old enemies Heracles and I was really pleased to find out they're going to be the last game of the season yet again. I managed to go in at HT 1-0 down before equalising just after the break. I then went ahead 2-1 and grabbed another for 3-1. They got 1 back on 81 minutes and had at least two chances to square it but fortunately one was blocked and the other went over. FT 3-2

halfway.jpg

So, back in the mix again after a couple of uninspiring seasons. Can Domzale finally put two half seasons together in the same year? The way it looks, if I can get another 13pts surely that will be enough this season? However it's all gone pear shaped at least three times before so I'm not predicting anything! Ivarov played the last game and I think I'll be keeping him in for now. I want Kremer to develop but at the moment I can't risk him costing us points. If Ivarov starts making mistakes then he'll come straight back in.

Top Scorers Hamsun 6, Park 4, Macco 2, Stein 1

Top Assists Macco 3, Park 2, Dodo, Fouque 1

Top Ratings Fouque 6.4 Hamsun, Ruskin 6.3 Herrero, Park 6.2, Jaric 6.1

Herrera looks like being an excellent signing as does Park although he has further to go, but he's already claimed Ordaz's spot. He just lacks that bit of pace but has everything else to be successful and has already scored with a couple of tidy finishes.

For the record Messi is now up to 143 goals for Rapid Wien, leaving behind Teodorczyk at Anderlecht who's next on 128. Morata has 101 for Basel and Greizmann 100 for Salzburg

Sane leads the assists with 50 for Basel, with Payet on 48 for Slovan Liberic.

Ronaldo appears to have signed for PSV now.

I've had quite a few bids for Hamsun over the past 3 season's but he's the only player who has received any.

In PES3 there was no player development, but it was possible to sign youths and build up their stats for a short while. Each player would gain points depending on how well they had played. The great thing was YOU could decide where to put them. Would certainly solve the stamina problem!

Yep, train promising players in PES 3 is only active for a portion of a season, just a few games and you only get enough ability points to make a decent player across the stats, or of course just make a road runner who can't pass or shoot. :shiver:

Yep, train promising players in PES 3 is only active for a portion of a season, just a few games and you only get enough ability points to make a decent player across the stats, or of course just make a road runner who can't pass or shoot. :shiver:

See also: Darren Huckerby, Aaron Lennon, Wayne Routledge et al...

Back
Top Bottom