The Retro-PES Corner

@Madmac79
I don't have PES 2018 on PC but in the previous versions on PC i had this problem with settings exe even "as administrator " when i was mixing original files with files from steam compatible patches.Maybe the new .exe or the new .dll files cause the problem.Reinstall was the solution for me.
Yes give it a try you never know, maybe it will touch you.I personally had all the good mood to ignore tge flaws but these last weeks every time i turn on my console i preferred to play other games over 18ML.I tried even fifa17,18,pes 17,every pes from 2~2017 on pc except 08,12,16 and pes 2008(ps2) . Everything attracts me more than a ML 18 campaign unfortunately :(

FC United - Season 3 - Mid-season update

Cup Round 1 against defending Champion Ipswich, 1st leg away, very even game, 43' Espimas can't clear the ball near D, Aydin score a rebound and 75' Nouble score a header 2-0, we keep pushing forward until 85' Ordaz's header make it 2-1 loss.

Next, we play the same fixture in league at Ipswich but they seem to be another team at D5 and play very poorly. We play well and score 4 by Jaric, Hamsun, Huylens and 1 own goal. 1-4 win (Biggest away win ever)

Cup 2nd leg at home, they turn up again and score 2 great goals. Some teams just play for the cup, not league

Can't keep consistency on defense as past 2 seasons, 2 big away loss to Crystal Palace 3-0 & Nottingham Forest 2-0
!TABLE1.JPG
Top Scorer: 2 (Hamsun, Jaric)1 (Ordaz, Huylens, Fouque)
Top Assists: 2 (Macca) 1 (Hamsun, Ximelez)
Top Rating: 6.3 Fouque, 6.2 (Minanda, Dodo, Jaric)

Transfer
In D1, Watford - Gallas 645, Almunia, Bristol City - Guidetti
No com team sign Beckham 531, Harte 541, Puyol 759, Stankovic 771, Di Natale 820
Very Interesting Beckham is cheaper than Harte

Last edited:
It's real joy to read your posts guys. I'm also playing old PES games. Mostly ISS 1&2, but also PES 1&2, and of course, the best one ever PES 3. But I prefer ISS 1&2 because of footballers in game. I'm very nostalgic for late 90's football...

Cup 2nd leg at home, they turn up again and score 2 great goals. Some teams just play for the cup, not league

Not my team !:LOL: 12 cup games played now and not a single win.

That's a great 4-1 win though. Fouque seems to be playing well then. It wasn't until season 4 I really saw much out of him. I really like Jaric and he's very solid at the back, I just wish his ATT stat was higher because he has some great stats to do really well further forward but that ATT stat holds him back.

I could seriously write a book about my games with Heracles.

After the 5-5 in the first half of the season I'd thought it would be a much quieter affiar this time around.

First half they do pretty much nothing going forward and score from two corners. Meanwhile Ordaz puts a penalty over the bar, his second miss of the season against Hercales from the spot! Second half begins and this happens...

At this point I thought how on earth can I beat Hercales when they get away with stuff like this! You'll have to wait for the end of season update to see how it ended up.

@mattmid Fouque is not turn up to Minanda's standard yet but improve steadily. Our Ordaz is same as yours, miss so many chance including 2 pen

But Jaric is my favourite player. He scored 4 freekicks now. It is vital for us (can't score goals). He turn some 0-0 draw to win.

Can I come to your home ground to watch you play against Hercales. Always drama

What is your plan for 2 new youngster? Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my first one..............

@wildwind I wish I could score free kicks as you're right Jaric's stats at them is fantastic unfortunately my stats are bad!

More below but I've just had an incredible second half to the season (mostly not in a good way) I think it's fair to say my 4-3-3 with the midfield 1 behind 2 is not the best option defensively :LOL: But most of all 18yr old first choice keepers are perhaps not a great idea on the whole.

I'm still deciding what to do with the 2 signings. I think after this season it has to be in defence although hopefully the young keeper will have learnt a bit this season (other than picking the ball out of the net which he's now very adept at!)

@miguelfcp How has your young keeper done? Have you had the same problems I've had - although I think your's was even better rated than mine so hopefully not.

Domzale End of Season 7 Update

It's fair to say it was a season of two halves. Both of which had a lot of goals in them. The first half more of mine, the second more of their's. It included a monumental recovery and the mother of all collapses in the same game, a farewell to Minanda and Iouga, not that anyone noticed Iouga go. A brief moment of this might get interesting and a briefer moment of this might get very interesting during the monumental recovery which was swiftly dashed by the collapse and a keeper who had more clean sheets when he was two years old.

It all started, naturally, at Heracles. After going 2-0 down again and missing a penalty again and then seeing Macca hit the post with the rebound cleared by the defender blasting it against his own post as well as seen in the earlier video. I subbed Ordaz as I'd had enough of him in the game and moved Ruskin up to LW, he responded by getting onto a Hamsun through ball and poking a lovely goal over the keeper who had gone to ground. A lovely finish - are you watching Ordaz!? Fouque then blasted one home and we added to more to turn things around for a 4-2 win!

Great I thought, a good start now can we push on. No, of course not, what we'll do is lose our bogey team St Polten 1-0, in the only game we didn't score in all season! I give up with them.

Next up was Altach who were just behind me and always a tricky team to play. I went 1-0 up early and then 2-1 up before throwing it away thanks to some awful keeping and it ended up a 5-2 defeat!

Games like Heracles only come up once a season right? Wrong! The game against AZ had it all. They had drawn with Korona and Altach so here was my chance to go above them , although Altach would also do so if they won. Before long I was 2-0 down and thinking that's that then. But no Fouqe and Macco scored to get it back to 2-2 for HT. Then right at the start of the second half Ordaz made it 3-2 followed by a Hamsun strike for 4-2! Suddenly from 2-0 down we had steamed into a 4-2 lead. Just see it out I thought. Kremer wasn't listening and made a mistake and it was 4-3. Bouyed by that they added another, 4-4. Then another. From 4-2 with 25 minute left I had managed to lose it 5-4. Five goals conceded for the second game in a row. Talk about clutch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Next was "Can we play you every week" Vardar, who if I could then I'd be out of this bloody Division by now. A relative calm in the recent storm saw a fairly comfortable 2-1 victory.

With any promotion hopes hanging by a thread now, I had to beat Poznan and hope Altach and AZ both lost to take it to the last game, where they'd have to both lose again. I did say it was hanging by a thread!

Cue third remarkable game this season. Poznan took the lead early on, then in a remarkable 15 minutes before half time they extended their lead to 3-0 only for me to get 2 back for 3-2 HT. Kremer was asked at half time if he'd mind saving a shot occasionally. Apparently it didn't translate into German too well because be 75 minutes it was 6-2!! Hamsun got a late goal to make it 6-3.

Last game of the season was Korona who I hope to never see in Division 2 again as you'll see by the league table. With nothing on the game for either team with Korona long since crowned Champions it was more of a Testimonial game for retiring Minanda. He made a few incisive passes had a couple of shots both well saved so unfortunately no late goal and then as injury time approached he was subbed off for the final time bringing down the curtain on a fine career to the immortal words of Peter Brackley "He's probably taking him off because he's already been booked!" Right up there with "They think it's all over. It is now."

Minanda.jpg

final table.jpg

Korona were unstoppable, breaking Heerenveen's record points total of 29 by some margin.

I don't know if it's the low mentality of a lot of the players (most are in the 60's) but they just can't seem to perform under pressure. This is four times now they have fallen away in the second half of the season. It wasn't helped by playing an 18yr old keeper and maybe I should have stuck with Ivarov for this season but at least his stats are increasing nicely. He must have cost me at least three games though and even the other goals that went in, there were lots where I thought Ivarov would have saved that.

We conceded 5 on three occasions which is madness. A mixture of the attacking 4-3-3, Kremer, no decent cover for when Liberrman or Jaric are suspended. Stremer's legs have gone, Valeny's good enough defending but a liablity once he gets the ball and Ceciu is worse than Stremer.

At the other end of the pitch we were flying with a record haul of 33 goals, the best attack in the Division. Hamsun is a man mountain and very rarely gets outmuscled off the ball. Macco was on fire all season and Ordaz continues to be frustrating. Stein was like Kante, Dodo was off the pace a bit but not really playing in his best position while Fouque had another decent season.

The other problem was I really had very little choice in selection. Once a suspension or two kicked in I had no options other than Valeny that wouldn't weaken the team considerably.

Div2 Golden Boot Hamsun

Div 2 Assists Leader Macco

Div 2 Player Of The Season N. Nielsen (Lech Poznan)

Domzale Awards

Player Of The Year Macco 8 Goals, 6 Assists

Top Rated Stein 6.8* Hamsun 6.5, Jaric, Fouque, Valeny 6.2, Macco, Ruskin 6.1 (Dodo 5.7)

Scorers Hamsun 13*, Macco 8, Fouque 5, Ordaz, Stein 3, Ruskin 1

Assists Macco 6*, Valeny, Hamsun, Jaric 2 Stein, Dodo, Fouque, Ruskin 1

* Domzale records.

So, another season in Division 2, where we'll be welcoming (?) back GA Eagles and Lokeren with AZ Alkmaar spending a second year in the divison as well. It doesn't look like it's going to be any easier.

With the youngest players now about to reach 26 other than Kremer who'll be 19, it's vital the two newcomers can make an instant impact on the team (Not quite in the way Kremer did hopefully!) It's also vital at least 2 more retire next season. I now have 4 keepers in my 23 as Zamenhof is up for another year in the sun. At least with 2 new additions that should give me 14 worthwhile players to pick from meaning at least I'll have 3 subs who might be able to contribute.

Stremere Ceciu, Ximelez, Huylens (41!), Burchet and Zamenhof please retire next season!

Given that hopefully Stremer and Ceciu could retire and the possibility that Valeny might to o as he is 37 and declining and with Liberrman 29 and whilst commanding in the air he isn't the best defender around really then I must get one CB if not two. I'd like to move Jaric out to CB as Ruskin isn't the best there and his lack of height has cost me more than once on corners and crosses. Jaric has played well there when I've played him.

Formation is going to be a real decision though. I can't have another season like last, but 2 new defenders and hopefully a keeper who is over his inexperience and improving all the time might make a big difference there. Even if it can knock 10 goals off then if the other end can keep scoring like it was that's going to be a big points swing in my favour. Lot of if's there though.

There's so many positives and negatives with it. Macco was a sensation at RW. Ordaz was ordinary at LW and when at CF, it didn't seem to make a difference either way. Hamsun as the focal point is a must so Ordaz has to buck up his ideas or settle for a place on the bench. I'm leaning towards Ruskin at LW with Jaric at LB if I can pick up 1(2?) CB's in the newcomers. Stein was superhuman at the base of the three in midfield but Dodo suffered playing further forward despite doing ok he wasn't himself there at all.

I could opt for a 4-4-2 but then where does Fouque go and Macco at RM wasn't the same Macco as he was at RW.

Oh well, off to scour the newcomers!

@Matt10 great game! I thought you won it with that 10 mile high chip from Ordaz. But they got a good goal.

Is that PES5 or WE9LE?

10 fouls each! And the game did not feel stop/start at all as some would say. That is why i love that game.

All the best in the Play Off final tomorrow! :)

Hold on, i just noticed your funds in ML. That don’t look too great. :P

it's nice playing a game that has the fundamentals of football in it. I never played masterleague before, i'm going to pick PES 3, 5 or WE9.
Which do you think is best for ML?

3 is great because of all the settings you can change but there is no player development which some people prefer.

So, the lottery was today in Zurich and League A is unbelievable strong, and so it Comes my Team and the 2 Divison come to this league.
My Team is Osasuna, also the worst in stats in the whole Leagues.
But man, it will be interesting to see which Team in League A will be the best and which Team in the other Leagues can Profit from that and maybe win the Championsleague or qualify for it the first time in their history.

Every line is a League

PES 3 by far is the best PES of all time. It was the pinnacle of PS 2 console era Winning Eleven / Pro Evo development. Have been "trying" to follow @miguelfcp and @mattmid example of playing default only squad at top difficulty level in PES 6 and it is awful. As @fmicablues7 , and I discussed here above, PES 3 is the perfect game as it has both speed of passing and powerful shooting that all other titles lack. PES 2 was very good, but the ball physics were slow and a bit loose, and later PES titles went back to that slow play.

PES 6 ML Default Squad End of Season Update:

I both suck and blow at the same time, two wins one draw and eleven losses.
Minanda must improve after thirty five, as in this game, he is pants. And even my beloved Espinas and Macco have no edge anymore as anything other than 90 and above speed stats don't make any difference, as all players on the pitch sort of plod along like they are running through jam. Castolo has not scored in two seasons now, (glue factory for him :NONO:) and where the hell is my main man: Kelsen ? :SHOCK: Retired at thirty four ? Ivarov seems to have in his contract that he must drop every cross and parry every shot a striker-friendly three yards in front of him. :MAD:

PES 6, an official :R1:R1:R1.

Does anyone know how the game decides which teams to put in D2? I know it picks from France and Holland and some from other league B but is it stat based or ID based?

@Titch Which version? In PES6 if you unlock everything in the editor you can choose all the teams to go into each league.

@WhoAteMeDinner Funny how we all like different versions isn't it. I've never played 3 so can't comment. I liked 4 and 5 but always found 6 the best. Is 3 quite fast? Maybe because you've come straight from that it is making it seem really slow.

I feel your pain with Castolo. He's still with me as season 7 starts and was looking for a 2yr contract! Got him to agree a 1yr in the end. He played 45 mins last season before I hauled him off at half time in a cup game never to be heard from again.

Macco took a while but he's been superb the last two seasons.

As for Minanda he'd never get in a Big Sam team anyway :D He'd have neck cramps watching the ball fly over his head :LOL:

@mattmid , aww jeez man, you have to play PES 3 on the Playstation 2 somehow. I hear that all the PC versions are somewhat slow compared to early PS 2 versions, but PES 3 had a new game engine that gave (not sure if PC version was the same) the ball very fast and powerful physics, a through ball zings and crosses have real pace on them. But the shots are what make it truly magic, as @fmicablues7 and I have chatted about. A heavy ball or thumper of a shot like a Hasselbaink or a Koeman used to launch at terrified keepers is possible in this game like no other. Any strikers with high shot power stats 85 or above are a threat from thirty yards, if timed with utter precision, and if the likes of Adriano, Rivaldo or Vieri are within forty yards of your goal, tell your keeper to get life insurance. :PRAY:

Oh and @mattmid , any advice on what to do in PES 6 with the default gang ? Should I play the youngsters like Liebermann, Ordaz, Fouque, Ruskin, Giersen and Stein all the time, will their stats develop fast in PES 6 ? In PES 3, promising player development was capped to a certain number of games and young players never got very good.

Can't believe how the sharpness has disappeared from most of the senior default players, all are a shadow of PES 2 and 3 master leagues. :SHAKE:

@WhoAteMeDinner The one's who've really improved for me are Fouque, Ruskin, Macco, Jaric and Hamsun, they've all gone up between 8-12 across the board. Ordaz as well but for someone with 90 sh acc he couldn't hit a barn door for me most of the time. Liberrman, Giersen, Dodo and Stein all went up around 5-6 too. Most of them are still improving a bit too but slower now.

Macco really excelled at RW but didn't really do it for me anywhere else. Hamsun is superb as a target/hold up man up front as his balance improves he can't be shoved off the ball unless it's a defender equally as strong. He's got over 30 goals for me now. Jaric is excellent at CB/LB and even did well at LW for me when I played him there occasionally to cover suspension oh and a spell at DM as well. Fouque took until about the 4th season to get going, and he's still a bit of an enigma, sometimes great, sometimes anonymous.

I'd play the youngsters yeah. I lost anyway with the senior players. I did have an experiment with Lothar in goal but that was horrible, made Ivarov look like David De Gea.

All that said and done I'm still in Div2 after 6 seasons! Although I have had promotion in my own hands with two games to go on two occasions but blown it.

Of the senior players Burchet did ok for a season or two in short bursts, playing RW with his pace but can't last a game. Valeny can do a job just don't try passing it anywhere other than straight at a team mate otherwise it's horrific.

I found the biggest problem midfield early on cos Dodo and Stein were great defensively but Stein can't pass and Dodo took a while to be ok going forward, while Fouque took 3 seasons to do anything. Then again, if you're going the Big Sam route maybe lump it up to Hamsun and play from there.

@mattmid , thanks for the sound advice. As I said before, have played almost all my Pro Evo football on the Playstation 2 and PES 2 and PES 3 most of all. PES 6, PES 2009 (PC) and PES 2010 are the others I have, but only played a couple of master leagues on each and as I said, the default players play totally differently on the slower paced and shorter pass focused games like PES 6 onwards.

In PES 2, for example, you can win lots of games with Burchet, Macco and Castolo, as small pace differences really are clear in the gameplay. With everything slowed down in the later games, all their strengths become average like all other players.

How on earth you and @miguelfcp , have done so well in PES 2008 and later editions with just the default players and some new gens with zilch stats at the outset is beyond me. :CONFUSE:

Chapeau for your skill and amazing perseverance. :SAL::SAL::SAL:

@WhoAteMeDinner I agree. The same stats between games does not show the same results. Like you said a speedy player in PES3 might not be so effective in PES6.

PES 3 by far is the best PES of all time. It was the pinnacle of PS 2 console era Winning Eleven / Pro Evo development. Have been "trying" to follow @miguelfcp and @mattmid example of playing default only squad at top difficulty level in PES 6 and it is awful. As @fmicablues7 , and I discussed here above, PES 3 is the perfect game as it has both speed of passing and powerful shooting that all other titles lack. PES 2 was very good, but the ball physics were slow and a bit loose, and later PES titles went back to that slow play.

PES 6 ML Default Squad End of Season Update:

I both suck and blow at the same time, two wins one draw and eleven losses.
Minanda must improve after thirty five, as in this game, he is pants. And even my beloved Espinas and Macco have no edge anymore as anything other than 90 and above speed stats don't make any difference, as all players on the pitch sort of plod along like they are running through jam. Castolo has not scored in two seasons now, (glue factory for him :NONO:) and where the hell is my main man: Kelsen ? :SHOCK: Retired at thirty four ? Ivarov seems to have in his contract that he must drop every cross and parry every shot a striker-friendly three yards in front of him. :MAD:

PES 6, an official :R1:R1:R1.
i haven't had alot of time playing old PES just started playing 2 years ago. Iv'e played 2,3,4,5,6 and WE9LE. So far i think 3,5, and WE9LE are best.. Just tried 2017 again and after 5 minutes i quite! Konami isn't hiring the right developers, they are making SHIT!

Yeah I've wondered that. Not sure if it is random or it's based on the team, it must be based on the ability of the team you would think otherwise you could start in a Div 2 full of top teams and have no chance.

In my experience playing PES ML from the early years...
The Default players were always difficult to control until their stats started improving and once you acquire enough points to buy better players and their team work improved.

The challenge was to draw enough games and score enough goals so that the team did not go bankrupt.

Once they started improving you could progress up the league and hopefully get promoted and then stay up. Maybe this would take about 3 to 5 seasons.

It’s good to remember that the game wasnt really designed for the different challenges listed at the start of the thread. ‘The Original’ challenge is extremely hard because the Defaults are not great (especially in PES2008) and they don’t really improve enough in time before others start to decline. And then they don’t retire early enough for you to get another player before others start declining. So it can be a vicious circle.

I think it is just good to bare this in mind when comparing different PES’. Yes the Default players are not as good in the later PES’ compared to PES3, but i guess that’s because they are older. If we was playing ML the way it should be played then we would have sold a couple of the them in the first season. ;)

Yeah I've wondered that. Not sure if it is random or it's based on the team, it must be based on the ability of the team you would think otherwise you could start in a Div 2 full of top teams and have no chance.

I thought it was down to the region you picked to play in, Northern, Western, Southern, Eastern, are the later PES titles not structured this way ? :CONF:

@Titch i think the teams are just randomly picked. I start a new ML after i edit each team (to check their salary) and each time the teams are different. Sometimes Barcelona are not in it. Same with Real Madrid.

PS i just noticed you were talking about the DIV 2 teams not the other teams :COAT:

Back
Top Bottom