PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I've just saw someone on Twitter say that if Celtic park isn't in PES 2019 by the end of the month, he's suing Konami. LOL....

Also, since people are mentioning PES 5/6, one thing I preferred about them was when you wanted a player for a certain position, you had to examine the stats. So when I wanted a centre back, i'd look for heading, tackling, positioning, ect... Now, all you do is get a 80+ gold player and your happy.

This game just made me rage so hard online. Why the F do defenders take a stupid touch when you ask them to clear the ball leading to CHEAP ass goals?

After conceding goals to the damn low cross, I think that's the next most common way that I concede. Does my head in. Also happens to me at the other end when players take a touch instead of a first time shot.

This game just made me rage so hard online. Why the F do defenders take a stupid touch when you ask them to clear the ball leading to CHEAP ass goals?

It's often the same when you want a first time pass or shot. The dawdling, dithering unresponsivness started in PES 14 and we're now into the 6th Fox game. It will never change while this engine is in use.

In a game where, out-of-the-box, you'd potentially have Dynamo Kiev etc in your English top division...

I've already said I'm not arguing that ML is better in the latest versions, or has more details than previously, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting I meant this.
I don’t acuse you about anything my friend.Your comparison is more complicated.Yes in total numbers new pes has more content than pes ML it is obvious.But in quality content and taking in mind what staff is removed every year for no reason it is too close.I would expect more off pitch details from a 2019 game back in 2007.
Furthermore I was who called that pes 6 content became poor,aged and limited for me after 7 years playing pes6ML.For me pes2011 ML had the most complete ML package in terms of team management,finances,training etc.If you compare 2011 to 2019,except for gameplay obviously and more Leagues the content of 2011 wins hands down.

Even pes13! Passing on pes13, especially manual passing, was incredible! I felt like I had complete freedom on the pitch!
Yes, we had "magic" boots, which I thought were ridiculous. But did I go online, set up Tweeter account, went to facebook or youtube and hammered Konami for changing PES into Elder Scrolls with stat boosting shoes?
No, I didnt. Why? Because, IMHO, on the pitch, pes13 was fucking amazing.
This year tho, I did all of the above. And I will continue my campaign until I see AI patched. Because, lets face it, gameplay on the pitch is the only thing that makes us play this game. Outside of that PES is shambles.
And if they cant get right the only thing that make us buy it, then well... good luck!

I wonder where all this praise about PES2013 comes from. To me it was one of the most messed up PES games until the end of its lifecycle and make me dodge towards FIFA in the end:

1) AI dumbness was on its peak, as passes went between legs of defenders from a 20m distance. The attention to loose balls and possible interceptions was absolutely flawed, and you could say about every fifth pass was just ignored by the CPU defenders, which made it calculable to play on this principle.

2) May be a minor thing in comparison, but there were no high deflections in this game. I never saw a ball bouncing up in the air after a blocked shot or something, all deflected balls didn´t move more than 2 meters from the ground.

I would take a strong CPU preference for wing play over this every day.

The Low cross spam issue is definitely there, the AI makes a low cross in the most ilogical of situations, definitely needs patching, and I was one of the ones who was seeing the AI attack the exact same way every single time, every game, Get ball to win, level with box, - low cross - shot.
Some people see this and others don't, its a strange one, but I have been fiddling about and come up with a workaround.

Low cross overuse still needs patching but using the below has improved the quality of my matches tenfold.

The video is in 3 sections.

Section 1:
I amend my team formation setup and tactics, by pushing the defensive line as far back as it will go, and pushing my fullbacks right out to the touchlines.
Also move the LMF and RMF positions out to the touchlines, to give my team shape a lot more width.

Next I change the tactics to play with the deepest possible defensive line, and compactness set at midway, then use the ‘Hug the touchline’ strategy.

This effectively makes my team keep its width and the fullbacks and wide midfielders stay wide, as they always have a tendency to move infield usually.
This negates the space out on the wings.

Section 2:
A clip of a game using the new tactics in Blimp mode so you can see the overall more wide shape of the team.

Section 3:
This is a full match, using the new tactics, I lost 3-2 but was a great game and whilst the COM team did attack down the wings, which is natural, it was nowhere near as much, resulted in a much better quality game.

Summary:
I believe the AI is coded to always play into areas where there is more space available, my fullbacks and wide midfielders tended to drift inside centrally when not on the ball, leaving big gaps down the wings for the AI to exploit.
This is a common thing in all of PES, that players drift inside.
By reducing the space available they now seem to look to attack other areas, have seen more play through the middle since using this tactic.

They will attack the wings when possible, and there are still instances when they over use the low cross, even when it makes no sense to do so, and this needs patching still but I tested these tactics in 2 games on Professional, and 2 on Top Player, and its held up well, quality of matches have been superb.

By using the ‘Hug the Touchline’ strategy to keep your players pinned out wide, you can also flick it off, to bring players infield more, and flick it back on when needed, so is quite flexible.

Low cross is definitely an issue, I haven't seen the AI do one aerial cross, they attack in the same pattern every time. So frustrating as the AI is pretty solid in defence. Needs patching ASAP, has there been any acknowledgment from Konami?

Low cross is definitely an issue, I haven't seen the AI do one aerial cross, they attack in the same pattern every time. So frustrating as the AI is pretty solid in defence. Needs patching ASAP, has there been any acknowledgment from Konami?
No therw wasnt. And there wont be. If they patch it, they'll do it hush hush. They never admit AI is broken.

For the moment, I dont so as much adjustments as you, @xPJRx .
I play Deep Defensive Line and using my side MF's to mark their wingers. As a result my MF's are pulling back, which leaves me side FB's to cover spaces at the back of the wings. It prevents a lot of crossing.
I dont like to make my team out of shape. Maybe its my OCD. I like to have my team in shape and ready to attack. If I change all the positions and manually drag whole team fully back I feel like I was attacking with some quasimodo team.

I believe the AI is coded to always play into areas where there is more space available, my fullbacks and wide midfielders tended to drift inside centrally when not on the ball, leaving big gaps down the wings for the AI to exploit.

Yes, i came to the same conclusions. After i am trained by PES2018 to use player switching all the time to prevent strikers escaping, i manually block the sidelines and force the CPU to find other ways on goal, what is working quite fine when doing it consequently.

The more visible flaw is the CPU striker refusing to shoot in good positions, but still enough to keep me losing on legendary regularly.

@Emroth Attacking isn't a problem, I use counter attack so my team pushes forward quickly when I get possession, I'm scoring most matches, and creating chances isn't an issue.

Yesterday I gave this game a couple of hours.
Went to the training ground and tried to get the hang of advanced shooting.
My feelings for this are mixed.
On one side, I really like performing those low hard shots. And actually they are quite easy, at least when you have space and time to load up the power bar und push the stick back.
The problem I have is, though...I would ALWAYS perform those low shots, which I don´t want to.
You can pull back the stick to the max, it will always be low, but you can´t push the stick forward to the max, as the shots would go up to the sky and here is the difficulty:
Loading up the power bar and just slightly pushing the stick forward...well...I made it a few times on the training ground.
But in a real match, when you have to be quick and perform direct shots and all that...I just couldn´t do it.

I had one situation where I took a low shot volley on advanced shooting pulling the stick back, but the keeper parried.
It looked awesome but then again I know...I´d always stick to low shots all the time and that´s not what I want.
How do you advanced shooter cracks handle that?

After a couple of hours I gave up and went back to manual shooting. I searched for a workaround for those low shots, as in pushing the throughball or passing button to the max, which works only partly, but you would never get such a hard low shot (stats based, players with a lower kicking power won´t shoot rockets, which is nice) like you will with advanced shooting.
And that´s the problem. For this KONAMI is forcing us into advanced shooting instead of bringing back :square: + :triangle:.
In my desperation I even tried that, hoping it would be in the game by mistake, but unfortunately it´s not.
Just tapping the shoot button on manual works inside the box for low shots but not outside the box.
Shots are not coming that hard.

Then I played myclub, as I haven´t started an ML yet.
Myclub is.....can´t say.....kind of a strange mode really.

I can´t win those offline challenges where you have to beat the AI 3 times. First game is on regular (or beginner or whatever the lowest difficulty is named in english) which of course is no problem.
But I frigging can´t win the second game on advanced...no matter what. Only made it one time as I made a draw and won the penalty shootout. But then professional, I got bashed 0:4.
Guess the teamspirit comes into play here, as in other modes (league or cup) professional is not that tough.

In that mode I had two really (sry for my words) fucked up situations:
- Manual passing is fine, but sometimes players are not aware that a pass is meant for them.
Yesterday, I had a really extreme moment. Slightly tapped the pass button for the next player to receive. The direction was right, but he wouldn´t take it. No matter what, I couldn´t select that player, even the ball literally touched his feet. My striker instead ran from the front back to the center to receive it, but of course couldn´t get it, as the opponent was there before. Big WTF on that....happened only one time in that extreme way.

- Next situation: AI passes the ball to the winger, who runs on the right side towards my goal. I was selecting the closest player who already made a run back to cover him. The opponent center striker ran along and wanted to get in position. The player I selected ran coser to the wing attacker, but I saw the center forward and pushed the stick up, as I wanted to cover him. It didn´t work as my player was locked like on rails and still ran closer to the wing attacker, even I pushed the stick in another direction. Of course he performed a cross and the center striker - who wasn´t covered - scored. WTF??

After that I was quite pissed and played a CL tournament (pesworld OF) where the AI and the whole gameplay felt much better, as there is no teamspirit. I think that´s the damn problem...teamspirit is a cool feature but it seems to be so bad implemented.

EDIT:
What I totally forgot to mention: myclub online is quite cool as there are really more manual players than in the past! Almost found someone every time I looked for an opponent and these matches were amazing!
No kick rush spamming, but nice decent football!

Last edited:
Had one of those games last night were the AI spammed the wings no matter how I set up. Attack after attack ...i just turned it off

After conceding goals to the damn low cross, I think that's the next most common way that I concede. Does my head in. Also happens to me at the other end when players take a touch instead of a first time shot.
Especially annoying if you use advanced shooting to aim low... Your first touch ends up being away from goal and then the shot is a weak effort on the turn.

On one side, I really like performing those low hard shots. And actually they are quite easy, at least when you have space and time to load up the power bar und push the stick back.
The problem I have is, though...I would ALWAYS perform those low shots, which I don´t want to.
You can pull back the stick to the max, it will always be low, but you can´t push the stick forward to the max, as the shots would go up to the sky and here is the difficulty:
Loading up the power bar and just slightly pushing the stick forward...well...I made it a few times on the training ground.
But in a real match, when you have to be quick and perform direct shots and all that...I just couldn´t do it.

I had one situation where I took a low shot volley on advanced shooting pulling the stick back, but the keeper parried.
It looked awesome but then again I know...I´d always stick to low shots all the time and that´s not what I want.

After a couple of hours I gave up and went back to manual shooting. I searched for a workaround for those low shots, as in pushing the throughball or passing button to the max, which works only partly, but you would never get such a hard low shot (stats based, players with a lower kicking power won´t shoot rockets, which is nice) like you will with advanced shooting.
And that´s the problem. For this KONAMI is forcing us into advanced shooting instead of bringing back :square: + :triangle:.
In my desperation I even tried that, hoping it would be in the game by mistake, but unfortunately it´s not.
Just tapping the shoot button on manual works inside the box for low shots but not outside the box.

I can´t win those offline challenges where you have to beat the AI 3 times. First game is on regular (or beginner or whatever the lowest difficulty is named in english) which of course is no problem.
But I frigging can´t win the second game on advanced...no matter what. Only made it one time as I made a draw and won the penalty shootout. But then professional, I got bashed 0:4.
Guess the teamspirit comes into play here, as in other modes (league or cup) professional is not that tough.

- Manual passing is fine, but sometimes players are not aware that a pass is meant for them.
Yesterday, I had a really extreme moment. Slightly tapped the pass button for the next player to receive. The direction was right, but he wouldn´t take it. No matter what, I couldn´t select that player, even the ball literally touched his feet. My striker instead ran from the front back to the center to receive it, but of course couldn´t get it, as the opponent was there before. Big WTF on that....happened only one time in that extreme way.

- Next situation: AI passes the ball to the winger, who runs on the right side towards my goal. I was selecting the closest player who already made a run back to cover him. The opponent center striker ran along and wanted to get in position. The player I selected ran coser to the wing attacker, but I saw the center forward and pushed the stick up, as I wanted to cover him. It didn´t work as my player was locked like on rails and still ran closer to the wing attacker, even I pushed the stick in another direction. Of course he performed a cross and the center striker - who wasn´t covered - scored. WTF??

After that I was quite pissed and played a CL tournament (pesworld OF) where the AI and the whole gameplay felt much better, as there is no teamspirit. I think that´s the damn problem...teamspirit is a cool feature but it seems to be so bad implemented.

EDIT:
What I totally forgot to mention: myclub online is quite cool as there are really more manual players than in the past! Almost found someone every time I looked for an opponent and these matches were amazing!
Manual low cross works pretty well as a hard low shot. L1 + L2 + Double tap circle.

EDIT:
a "like" for putting so much effort into finding stuff and analysing! :)
i really like to read on others opinions and compare them to mine.

@Emroth Attacking isn't a problem, I use counter attack so my team pushes forward quickly when I get possession, I'm scoring most matches, and creating chances isn't an issue.
I used to do the same. But i really like slow build up. It looks cool when you are breaking the defense piece by piece.
Plus, I was learning manual, so couldnt really do quick counter, coz whenever I was trying to do a long manual pass I was killing some bloke in the crowd...:D
And I found it really difficult to build up a nice attack when I had half of my team in a basement.

Huh?

If they already dominate Thai market, do you think they will sell more even more games by including Thai League in PES 2019?

Nah, money move would be to include one of weakest European Leagues, where there is money and new clients to grab, like the Scottish one :).

Late to the party here, I live in Bangkok I'm kinda pumped for the Thai League getting added. I think it's a great move for both parties (Konami and the Thai FA).

If you go to any arcade around here in the shopping malls and supermarkets, they usually have PS2s/PS3s/PS4s setup to play PES on a coin-operated basis and it's really popular. Sometimes I can see they've used Option files and patches on them too. Certainly, the PS2 ones have been patched up judging by the custom backgrounds I see in use. There are modding communities over here because I've seen patches for the Thai League in the last couple of years.

Adding the Thai league will help create global awareness of the league, even if the standard of the players is probably somewhere between UK League 1 (the foreign players) and Conference level (native Thai players).

So yes, I think it is a great bit of fan service from Konami. I don't think FIFA has much of the market over here and putting the Thai league in the game will really help Konami strengthen their position.

My Bangkok team (PORT) are one of the teams that will be added, looking forward to seeing how well researched it is and how many players will get real faces...judging by Buriram team available in the AEC mode....none. I doubt any stadiums will be added, but if they do....Buriram's Thundercastle would be a decent addition. It's the only football stadium in Thailand that is on a par with European Stadiums.

Last edited:
Finally got around to playing a bit of this over the weekend as i picked it up on Friday. The game is gorgeous, can be really exciting and has a lot of potential once they fix that AI issue. Been playing Exhibitions on Superstar and a few online games for now while i adjust.

Really enjoy the little details situations with player collisions can look really believable, even if there is a bit of milking from the players.
EXQaF62.mp4

Here's my first goal on the full game, not a screamer but satisfying as it was on Superstar and i liked the fact he tucked along the floor in the bottom corner rather than a powerful shot in the top corner like a lot videos I've seen pre release seemed to show.
BklgS5L.gif

Last edited:
The Low cross spam issue is definitely there, the AI makes a low cross in the most ilogical of situations, definitely needs patching, and I was one of the ones who was seeing the AI attack the exact same way every single time, every game, Get ball to win, level with box, - low cross - shot.
Some people see this and others don't, its a strange one, but I have been fiddling about and come up with a workaround.

Low cross overuse still needs patching but using the below has improved the quality of my matches tenfold.

The video is in 3 sections.

Section 1:
I amend my team formation setup and tactics, by pushing the defensive line as far back as it will go, and pushing my fullbacks right out to the touchlines.
Also move the LMF and RMF positions out to the touchlines, to give my team shape a lot more width.

Next I change the tactics to play with the deepest possible defensive line, and compactness set at midway, then use the ‘Hug the touchline’ strategy.

This effectively makes my team keep its width and the fullbacks and wide midfielders stay wide, as they always have a tendency to move infield usually.
This negates the space out on the wings.

Section 2:
A clip of a game using the new tactics in Blimp mode so you can see the overall more wide shape of the team.

Section 3:
This is a full match, using the new tactics, I lost 3-2 but was a great game and whilst the COM team did attack down the wings, which is natural, it was nowhere near as much, resulted in a much better quality game.

Summary:
This is a common thing in all of PES, that players drift inside.
By reducing the space available they now seem to look to attack other areas, have seen more play through the middle since using this tactic.

They will attack the wings when possible, and there are still instances when they over use the low cross, even when it makes no sense to do so, and this needs patching still but I tested these tactics in 2 games on Professional, and 2 on Top Player, and its held up well, quality of matches have been superb.

By using the ‘Hug the Touchline’ strategy to keep your players pinned out wide, you can also flick it off, to bring players infield more, and flick it back on when needed, so is quite flexible.

nice post, good read. :)
but why don't you try to set these tactics to fluid formations!?

i will give your advices a try tonight but set it up for "out of possession" ussage!

Im not sure here if you push stick forward forward (➡️) or corner forward (↘️↗️)
You're post wasnt clear enough there. I never push forward forward, always aim at corners. And I had few screamers.
Yes, they tend to miss more often when aiming at top corners, but thats life, right? In real life its also safer to go ground.
But when you are winning or have a momentum and you know there will be a lot of power there, i like to have a crack on goal with a high one.
I really like advanced shooting, more than manual passing.

One of the main reasons is what you mentioned above. I have it quite often, that my players are not in a hurry to get to the ball on manual passing, or the wrong player is switching. Even with manual player switching I have a lot of problems.
And, of course, the last little pass into space is still wrecking my head. Regardless whether I give a tiny little tap with normal pass, through ball, double tap or any other god damn tap, this last short pass into space is always too strong and goes to the other team. I just cant crack it. Dont know how to do those little tap passes on manual. Frustrating AF, as Im wasting a lot of attacks not being able to tap into space.

Anyway, back to advance shooting. The only problem I've had was shots from close range. I had to adjust to always try to go low. When keeper parry the ball and I have a chance to finish it off with another player, if I go top corner, a lot of times Im hitting crossbar or missing the goal. So from close range - go low.

Like before. Nothing new here.
R3 deactivates live update and gives access to OF!

Im gonna delete my Option file and put it all on at once.
Do I put Bundesliga on separate and tick the bottom two boxes?
Ive downloaded them all again but done the Championship in 1024 this time.
Thanks

Im not sure here if you push stick forward forward (➡️) or corner forward (↘️↗️)
You're post wasnt clear enough there. I never push forward forward, always aim at corners. And I had few screamers.
Yes, they tend to miss more often when aiming at top corners, but thats life, right? In real life its also safer to go ground.
But when you are winning or have a momentum and you know there will be a lot of power there, i like to have a crack on goal with a high one.
I really like advanced shooting, more than manual passing.

One of the main reasons is what you mentioned above. I have it quite often, that my players are not in a hurry to get to the ball on manual passing, or the wrong player is switching. Even with manual player switching I have a lot of problems.
And, of course, the last little pass into space is still wrecking my head. Regardless whether I give a tiny little tap with normal pass, through ball, double tap or any other god damn tap, this last short pass into space is always too strong and goes to the other team. I just cant crack it. Dont know how to do those little tap passes on manual. Frustrating AF, as Im wasting a lot of attacks not being able to tap into space.

Anyway, back to advance shooting. The only problem I've had was shots from close range. I had to adjust to always try to go low. When keeper parry the ball and I have a chance to finish it off with another player, if I go top corner, a lot of times Im hitting crossbar or missing the goal. So from close range - go low.

Thx for your reply.
I just watched the PEs 2019 advanced shot tutorial on youtube and I might give it another go.
I think my mistake was: loading up the shooting bar to the maximum and trying to aim with the stick (diagonally in a corner). Now with the full power bar and stick maximum forward diagonally, of course the ball will fly too high.

But if I fill up the shot bar, like half only and aim with the stick full forward diagonally, it shouldn´t get up that high, isn´t it?
At least it was shown like that in those tutorial vids.
I´ll give it another go and check.

Late to the party here, I live in Bangkok I'm kinda pumped for the Thai League getting added. I think it's a great move for both parties (Konami and the Thai FA).

If you go to any arcade around here in the shopping malls and supermarkets, they have usually have PS2s/PS3s/PS4s setup to play PES on a coin-operated basis and it's really popular. Sometimes I can see they've used Option files and patches on them too. Certainly, the PS2 ones have been patched up judging by the custom backgrounds I see in use. There are modding communities over here because I've seen patches for the Thai League in the last couple of years.

Nice post. So people, when you are all saying "OMG Who cares about the Thai league!", remember stuff like this.

Back
Top Bottom