PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Well the game is out. Time for a new thread!

Let the games begin.

200w.gif

----------------------------------------------------
(Courtesy of @PRO_TOO)

Genral Information:
Manufacturer:
Konami
Developer: Konami
Genre: Sport Game
Max Payer: 1-4 local, 1-x online
Technical Specifications (Resolution/Framerate): 4k/60fps/HDR
Distribution Format: Digital / Retail Disc
Compatible Periphery: none
Price (RRP): 59,99€
Release Date: 30.08.2018
Webseite: https://www.konami.com/wepes/2017/eu/en/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/officialpes?lang=en
----------------------------------------------------
Additional Information:
Trailer:

Option Files:
PES World: https://www.pesworld.co.uk/
PES Universe: https://www.pesuniverse.com/
PES Gaming: http://www.pesgaming.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412

Video Tutorials:
Spoony Pizzas Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDPOmJS4aLG05TvpaFXNvA/videos

Last edited:
Last year = AI constant chipped through-balls

This year = constant passes to wing and low crosses

What's going on?

PES became a huge deal (selling more than FIFA at one point) because, and everyone I spoke to said it, "every match was different" and "every goal was different".

The problem is, I find people are still saying that (even the reviewers), and it just isn't true any more. Same applies to attributes meaning anything (it seems like "player styles" are the only real separator).

It's such a shame.

After 20+ matches with the full release, this is a massive let down to be sure. Sadly, after playing the FIFA beta, it's as if the games have reversed roles in tactics and team play styles. In the full release of PES, can't really say I've noticed teams feeling different to play against, at all.

I just played Basel in a cup match and they played essentially the same as any elite team - really high pass acc cause there's tons of space, lots of first touches in the final third, then scoring from getting to the byline and a low cross for a tap in. I think these types of goals have made up 2/3s of the goals I've seen. And it's funny - it's like even the CPU knows that headers are worthless cause all they try are low crosses too.

It's definitely not all negative - the game gets a lot right. But man, it's so poor in some areas though. For me, the AI - in a number of ways - is the biggest disappointment, especially considering that used to be a strength of the franchise.

Nice to see you so active these days, man.
You must be enjoying this PES.
Thanks. I haven't got the game yet. The removal of Spanish and Italian D2 annoyed me a lot. I do think the gameplay is cool though, still not perfect. I'm still reading other members' feedback though. The game is also cheaper than usual here at au$65 (around US$48), so don't know if I'll bite.

I have the game and I'm happy to answer any questions people may have. About team uniqueness, I've only played a couple matches so far. Rangers vs Aberdeen was pretty non-descript but then I did Arsenal vs Fulham and Fulham were playing it long into Mitrovic at every opportunity. I don't think that's quite how they play in real life but at least it's some variance. :)

Edit: 2 other things I know are on a lot of peoples' minds

1) Goalies are still glued to their lines on 1 on 1s :( This needs to be fixed in the first patch. I have the 1.01 release day update but the first real update needs to address this.

2) Headers are definitely more difficult, but they don't seem to be broken as some alluded to in the demo thread. I can score them fine in training, I think the timing is just trickier in matches.

I have the game and I'm happy to answer any questions people may have. About team uniqueness, I've only played a couple matches so far. Rangers vs Aberdeen was pretty non-descript but then I did Arsenal vs Fulham and Fulham were playing it long into Mitrovic at every opportunity. I don't think that's quite how they play in real life but at least it's some variance. :)

1) Goalies are still glued to their lines on 1 on 1s :( This needs to be fixed in the first patch. I have the 1.01 release day update but the first real update needs to address this.

2) Headers are definitely more difficult, but they don't seem to be broken as some alluded to in the demo thread. I can score them fine in training, I think the timing is just trickier in matches.
So team strategies and tactics do have an effect? It's not all down the wing and short pass to the 6 yard box for a tap in?

So team strategies and tactics do have an effect? It's not all down the wing and short pass to the 6 yard box for a tap in?

I don't think it's as bad as the demo made it seem. I'll have to play a few more matches before I can say for sure, but that Fulham match was encouraging.

Edit: More on this - doing Bordeaux vs Caen now. I set Caen's tactics from a wide 4-4-2 to a narrow 4-4-2 diamond and changed their play focus from Wide to Central. I left their other settings at Counter Attacking and playing Long. They still found their way wide a few times but it felt natural because that's where the space was on the counter.

Then I changed their tactics to Possession and Short play and they played shorter passes through the midfield a lot more. They still played long balls up to their forwards, but I think that's because a) I had them under a lot of pressure and b) their two forwards are big guys.

Btw, all my matches are on Top Player for now.

Last edited:

If you figure out headers, please let me know. I've yet to score a single one. But I'm thinking it's not about being difficult - headers simply never get much power on the ball. I don't think I've seen the CPU score from a header either.

If you figure out headers, please let me know. I've yet to score a single one. But I'm thinking it's not about being difficult - headers simply never get much power on the ball. I don't think I've seen the CPU score from a header either.

I've scored several in Training with no defenders marking :) Just as a sanity check that they are possible. None in a match yet but the teams I've picked haven't had good aerial threats up front. Will try Chelsea next and put Giroud up there!

That repetitive AI pattern towards scoring seems like the big thing this year. At least the AI had the odd shot from outside the box last year, although their approach was still pretty repetitive. Seems like there was an attempt to tone down the lofted through pass spamming and it resulted in this. Remarkably I haven't seen a mention of this in a review - although I don't have the full game yet, just considering the demo and your feedback.

I have scored some headers in the demo though, only the manual ones seem to always go to shit.

After debating all day at work, finally bought the digital version....Why do I do this to myself every year? lmao. I like the demo so this **** better be worth it. lol

Can someone with the game please check if Zaha has that new face that was shown on twitter? I saw him in a video and it looked like his old face.
Pretty shameful to advertise it now if it’s coming “soon” in a data pack.

Can't believe people are buying the digital version of this before more reviews and opinions become available.:CONF:

Guess it's hopeless, but is there some kind of foreign player use limitation in ML?

Like Asian teams usually can't have more than 4 foreigners + 1 foreigner Asian.

Can't believe people are buying the digital version of this before more reviews and opinions become available.:CONF:
You could buy it digitally and then if you don’t like it ring up sony for a refund cos of false advertising, you can say you didn’t know about the removal of division 2 leagues and that’s the reason why you bought it in the first place, you should get refunded or else you can take them to consumer affairs.

That repetitive AI pattern towards scoring seems like the big thing this year. At least the AI had the odd shot from outside the box last year, although their approach was still pretty repetitive. Seems like there was an attempt to tone down the lofted through pass spamming and it resulted in this. Remarkably I haven't seen a mention of this in a review - although I don't have the full game yet, just considering the demo and your feedback.

I have scored some headers in the demo though, only the manual ones seem to always go to shit.

Man that's disappointing. Is it the same on the release build? CPU ignores tactics?

You could buy it digitally and then if you don’t like it ring up sony for a refund cos of false advertising, you can say you didn’t know about the removal of division 2 leagues and that’s the reason why you bought it in the first place, you should get refunded or else you can take them to consumer affairs.
Interesting.

I think there's a 2 hour refund policy on Xbox as well.

Yeah il just end up going to EB games and return it back after 7 days, great policy they have, should be bored of master league by 7 days anyway
Totally forgot about that!

You can even tell them to price match Amazon's $65 (If you want, but since you're returning I don't think it matters).

So I just finished playing 3 games. 2 games in top player (found it too easy) so I bumped it to superstar (Barcelona (AI) vs PSG (me)

Man! What a match that was! Ended 2-2. I was 2-0 down but man, Neymar is a BAD BOY in this game! I just love controlling the guy more than anyone else. I feel like I can do whatever the hell I want with the guy. Pogba is also a joy to use. Yes, there are niggles here and there (AI attack needs to be more varied)

On to the keepers. Of the 3 games I've played, they came out 98% of the time. One good example was Neuer. This dude was almost near the center circle to clean up the mess due to Germany's extreme high line lol.

Minor, but the music in the game is soooo much better than last year's crap lol.

For keepers staying on their line, it must be if they have that sweeper keeper playstyle. I've mainly been playing lower level teams so I doubt they have that trait. They are all planted to their line. I just scored a 1v1 as Basel vs FC Sion and the keeper didn't leave the 6 yard box. Makes those trivially easy.

I had no answer if certain L2 club was in the game but luckily i was able to find out by myself the uniform looks cool and it will be my ML & MyClub team
20180828_204152.jpg

Anyway, this is the Team ive setup so far.. mind you, firmino, romario & mikitarian are only loans but oh well

I loved how the game plays, its even better than the demo imo
Only gripes are the 1vs1 vs keepers and amount of fouls from cpu, hope they can sort it out.. it'd be the best pes ever

Happy gaming my friends!

Hahaha did it actually work? surely there's time frame how long?

You can even tell them to price match Amazon's $65

Whereabout are you man? if you in Melbourne, try rock up to CoG and see if they willing to sell it to you.
Mine got dispatched yesterday (at least in eBay it says so).
CoG had it at $59 like a month ago then increased its price to $69 something.

Back
Top Bottom