PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

@Matt10

Enjoying the stream. Like your style: organic, what I aim for. Couple of questions if you can spare the time please:

Could you tell me which OF you are using? And what difficulty you’re on?

Thanks, it's quite enjoyable isn't it?

I use Top Player, 20 mins, using Pesuniverse OF. Although I added the bundesliga teams just last night from a OF that was shared on this thread (name escapes me right now).

Still going strong with the stream. Won 1, Lost 1. Double tap to clear, Matt - not hold it, goodness. CPU scored a goal I didn't expect as well considering they could've passed it in.

I'm getting better at headers on Advanced, incorporating super cancel and timing my movements.
I also noticed that on Advanced its more efficient to aim your stick away, just like you do with low shots. There is not much balloon headers then

Thanks, it's quite enjoyable isn't it?

I use Top Player, 20 mins, using Pesuniverse OF. Although I added the bundesliga teams just last night from a OF that was shared on this thread (name escapes me right now).

Still going strong with the stream. Won 1, Lost 1. Double tap to clear, Matt - not hold it, goodness. CPU scored a goal I didn't expect as well considering they could've passed it in.

Is it -1 speed you Play?

I'm getting better at headers on Advanced, incorporating super cancel and timing my movements. Had this one yesterday which had plenty of power;

I think we have got into some bad habits over the years in past football games, where to score great headers all you needed to do was hit the cross button, immediately hold the left stick towards the goal and hit the shoot button.

This year you actually still control your player for most of the time the ball is in the air - if you hold the left stick towards the goal too early then you're have no room to attack it. As soon as you strike the cross then focus on the positioning of your player.

Same thing as headers from goal kicks - I love playing against people who don't super cancel or try to better their position and instead just try to hold the direction where they want to head it. You can easily win the challenges or at least disrupt their header even with smaller players.

It's not perfect though, I particularly have trouble with headers when attacking wide free kicks. I'll put it right on a plate for someone 6 yards out and the header will just float to the keeper, even when its a running leap for the animation...

Nice header there, loved the animation of Vardy backing a little after the contact with the defender, looks very realistic.

watching the stream at the mo while tinkering with my PC settings.

just out of interest

what are the MyCLub game modes i.e. Is vs COM there or not? Is it any good?

SIM is the usual random nonsense with crap teams wining against strong teams?

I also noticed that on Advanced its more efficient to aim your stick away, just like you do with low shots. There is not much balloon headers then
Yeah that's what I did on the one above, aimed low with a bit of power but it still went into the top corner.

There are one or two of the skill training challenges where you have to score headers, I did those for 30 mins or so and definitely saw an improvement in matches.

They could have better tutorials and explanations for this stuff rather than it being complete trial & error. The timing of when to press the shoot button is never indicated anywhere in the game - command list, loading screen hints... Nothing.

I guess it has a certain charm in that spending time experimenting and working on stuff in the training modes gradually improves your "feel" for the game.

If it was so cut and dry that it indicated "press here, release here = perfect header" then it'd be like a generic quick time event that you could perfect with no feeling of using any football instincts.

I don't know, I'm undecided really - so many people think this stuff is broken because it doesn't do what they expect when they treat it the same as other football games, but there is depth if you try to adapt and rethink your approach.

Maybe they need to just have more "tactile" animations, in that your player responds directly and instantly to your inputs, even if it looks ridiculous it would make it obvious you were doing something wrong - if you press shoot too early, you'll jump too early and completely fluff the header or miss the ball. Similar to when you make the wall jump when the opponent is nowhere near striking a free kick, play an animation that looks stupid just to show you're wrong.

Don't just have the player do nothing when you press the button, then produce a poor header for what looks like no reason.

I noticed from the powerful headers is that they're pretty much uncontested.
@1:19, I think it's just a result of being heavily contested. Not sure if a good timing/power can make a lot difference in that situation and angle, if you're trying to shoot.

It wasn't the type of situation that could result from a powerful header shot. I R2ed my pass, so it was floaty, there wasn't any power from the incoming cross that I could have transferred to my header. And you're right, it was heavily contested, floaty crosses usually are in this game. I wonder if this could change, if you have an aerial beast on your team. :THINK:

So I oped for a X pass to center the ball back into the 6 yard box. Was never going to score from that situation anyway.

Do you have same success offline against top player or higher difficulty with equal teams?
Have you tried skill training "volley and headers" and able to replicate the same power and consistency?

I'm just asking because even though I've have scored a decent amount of manual headers, I just doesn't feel it. It always felt like it given to me. There's a few that I'm satisfied, but who knows, maybe it was just given to me.

Sometimes I practice my headers on skill training "volley and headers" so that I can eliminate crossing inaccuracy. I just can't get consistent at it even when using players that are great at headers like CR7.

Just tried the skill training. Is it me, or does everything seem softcore in training setups? Dribbles aren't hard to stop, defenders and keepers easy to beat etc.

So I'm noticing the cross COM makes to me. I can't do much with it, 10% power won't work coz it keeps sending me floaty crosses. I do connect a few headers, and I do score, but they are all soft. Keeper just watches it go into the net (a skill training mode feature, seems like). Not sure what to make of it. It eliminates MY crossing inaccuracies, but replaces it with COM's less than ideal crosses. I played for 5 minutes, waiting for one decent cross, only 1 or 2 were decent. Some landed on my chest or knee height. Not sure how to make headers in this training feature, COM is not exactly delivering good balls either

I don't play offline so I don't know. Playing against AI programming is a bit different from playing against human. Human header clearance has more organic positioning and timing too, so there's more variables. I'm not sure how organic AI defensive tracking is for crosses into the box, like I'd kinda know how to cross into the box against a human, to loosen up the defensive tracking. I'm not sure if COM reacts the same way as human opponents.

Example of this, dribbling. I can dribble humans but I've always been bad at dribbling the COM in offline mode whenever I tried. They just don't read my intentions the same way as a human would. Sending the COM false signals, like a shoulder drop, or telegraphing a pass to pull the defender out of position (with body animation, but without sending the pass), super cancel body gestures....the COM doesn't buy into what I'm selling, so I get the feeling the whole game just doesn't play the same way, actions and reactions.

Last edited:
Konami is also lazy to translate

In the player abilities there is "between the lines" but in italian they translated in the wrong way

Instead of "tra le linee" they translated "tra le line" that don't have any meaning

This is rediculous

Nope i play 0 speed.
Its amazing how really good players can play the ball the way whole game seems to be slower. I was watching Matt or TTB or even Spoony and it just looks...nice! Nice and calm. And then there is me who is trying to play the ball but few bad passes or pressure around my penalty box and im switching to panic mode. :D
I have to play -1.
Normal speed just gives me palpitations, haha!
Ps. They are getting some bollocking on Tweeter from offline players. Its so entertaining! :D

i want to buy this, but im so concerned about the AI approach that I feel id be wasting my money.

i can deal with Master League being a bit crappy, you can over look that stuff as long as you have fun on the pitch... the management side of it (what there is) is more something to play out in your head and enjoy it that way.

i want to buy this, but im so concerned about the AI approach that I feel id be wasting my money
I put it this way - we always get some little bugs that should be fixed. Some of them are, some arent.
But current AI is so broken, that I honestly cant see them leaving it like this.
I know there are people who can look pass that or apply some little "fixes" themselves, but id be very surprised if they didnt fix it in the next few weeks. Its just too obvious this year.
You can hold off for few weeks if you have doubts.
But I tell you - if they dont fix it - they are shooting themselves in the knee.

i want to buy this, but im so concerned about the AI approach that I feel id be wasting my money.

i can deal with Master League being a bit crappy, you can over look that stuff as long as you have fun on the pitch... the management side of it (what there is) is more something to play out in your head and enjoy it that way.

As someone who owns it......leave it a few months.
The AI makes this game unplayable at times, such a shame as so much about this game is spot on.
I can’t overlook mental things in master league like City selling De Bryne to United and Lfc selling Firmino to Southampton.
In someones ML West Ham sold their entire first 11.
It’s broke.

Its amazing how really good players can play the ball the way whole game seems to be slower. I was watching Matt or TTB or even Spoony and it just looks...nice! Nice and calm. And then there is me who is trying to play the ball but few bad passes or pressure around my penalty box and im switching to panic mode. :D
I have to play -1.
Normal speed just gives me palpitations, haha!
Ps. They are getting some bollocking on Tweeter from offline players. Its so entertaining! :D
Then watch these guys videos! It will tell you a lot.
Kinda in the same boat but not that patient sometimes. :)
My personal panic meter raises as soon as I am near the opponents pen area. :D

No. I think i misunderstood. I was talking about "youth academy".
You can choose whether to start with team lineups or default players like years ago. I thought you were asking about youth players. Youth players are the same on each team.

Two weeks was max I had. Still a progress. Last year I had one injury in the whole campaign. Now I already had 4. Most of them few days.

This is one area that has bothered me for YEARS!

You start up a ML with say, a Ligue 2 side and your youth team will be made up of kids from around the world. Totally unrealistic.

Back
Top Bottom