PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Thanks for long explanations about headers. Yesterday I experimented also some things about headers. I came to conclusion that you have to use power of the ball to make successfull header, what I mean, if ball come from left wing and you attack on the right side of the field, you should choose to push up (to meet the ball) and then right with little modification to where ball goes but not bellow straight right direction of analog stick. This was from corners only, like in your case. From regular attacking crosses it`s difficult almost impossible to score. This need fixing!!!

I'm not complaining about open play yet, coz I've yet to deliver anything worthwhile for a strong header. You're right, corner is easier to score, for me it's also easier to place/whip the incoming ball than open play. So many of my open play crosses drift away from my receiving player, rather than meet their stride.

So, I mean, refer to this:

- Have a habit of not even pressing [], if the cross don't look like it's close enough to cross. I think this helps in having clarity of what exactly is a good opportunity or not. There are crosses I don't even jump for, coz it's just 1-2 head space away from where I can humanly possibly jump to. That's what I mean by clarity, know your spacing. Having a habit of not jumping unless it's right, kinda makes you very aware of how far you are actually from the incoming ball.

Kinda aware of my own crosses aren't good for headers. So are we complaining about the crossing? Or the headers? I don't know. I quite like all the errors in crosses to be honest. Haven't really worked on open play crosses much either.

And I remember 18, the crosses weren't really organic. It very easily finds a player. I don't remember it having this level of looseness, and I like the looseness (more organic). So I don't know.

edit: actually I did score from open play, but I felt unclear how I did it. It was among a bunch of players in a crowd and I couldn't see myself

I am curious to see how Thai League (and eventual CSL) will interact with AFC Champions League.

Only Thai champion has a direct spot in group phase. The runner up and the cup champion have to play Play Offs against Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Australian teams.

Same for CSL that only had 2 direct spots and 2 other teams had to play Play Offs this year.

I wonder if they will add play offs and league ranking as in Europe.

So I gotta say, manual headers are pretty easy for me. I think so far I'm having a decently realistic success rate.

But I'm quite picky-choosy on my deliveries into the box. I always pick out someone, if I don't see an opportunity, I don't even pass.

4 situations I'm looking for:
- the guy is tall
- the guy is heavy (weight)
- the guy is wide open
- the guy has good movement/run attacking the space

I'm not even sure if jump stat is important, but anyway it just doesn't cross my mind. Coz I'm just looking at my players in the box, and I think, "oh this guy is tall. This guy looks built." I can't see jump stat from physical appearance so I'll take what I can see. Maybe it does, it's just not intuitive for me to do.

Timing:
- it is not when u make contact with the ball (very very last moment)
- it is not earlier the better
- if u think of it like this...pressing a button, changes the animation. when you press [], your animation starts to change. And it goes.... knees bending -> compression force -> jump force released -> heading/contact with ball

So, what I mean is, you have to reverse engineer the time. You have to imagine the time of contact. So now you think about how early you have to compress your jump. Because that's what [] does, it begins the compression of the jump.

If you press [] too early, you lose momentum of your run/approach. So you have to be good at timing it in reverse, budgeting just enough to jump and meet the ball on your head, not more, not less. You can do more or less, but I imagine it could be floaty, you could be leaving that up to stat to decide, I'm not sure.

So here's 1st half of a game where I made 3 powerful headers, all very threatening (@1:35, 5:15, 6:30), in the same half. The players I made these headers with aren't even great at headers? But context and timing plays out correctly so it's nice enough to create a threat.

The final tip:
- Be choosy about your deliveries into the box. I refuse to pass into the box a lot if I can't pick out my runs. It's not good to be sending hopeful balls into the box. It's almost understandable if those crosses aren't met with good headers. Quality over quantity.
- Watch what's going on in the box. Watch for movement/runs. Not every player in the box wants you to cross to them. If they aren't up to it, don't send them.
- Have a habit of not even pressing [], if the cross don't look like it's close enough to cross. I think this helps in having clarity of what exactly is a good opportunity or not. There are crosses I don't even jump for, coz it's just half 1-2 head space away from where I can humanly possibly jump to. That's what I mean by clarity, know your spacing. Having a habit of not jumping unless it's right, kinda makes you very aware of how far you are actually from the incoming ball.

One more thing..

Power: power is another factor that effects timing. The more power you put into it, the more time it takes to compress the jump. If you go for more power, you need to add this to your reverse budgeting of timing (press [] a bit earlier). Just think of it as, you need to bend your knees more to compress a huge jump, that whole animation is going take more time to unfold. Reverse that in timing and you'll know when to press [] (compress your jump).

It's the same as taking a open shot. More power on [], the leg swing is more radical, animation takes longer to unfold, thus you budget the timing earlier.

Almost 99% of my headers is 10% power (just use in incoming force of the cross instead), I don't want to bother with long animations/large motions and timing them out.

Bonus: Full power X header pass from far post, centering the ball @1:19. Look at that big animation and how early I powered up. Also because I cannot use the original incoming force of the cross in this type of situation, so I gotta generate my own power.
I noticed from the powerful headers is that they're pretty much uncontested.
@1:19, I think it's just a result of being heavily contested. Not sure if a good timing/power can make a lot difference in that situation and angle, if you're trying to shoot.

Do you have same success offline against top player or higher difficulty with equal teams?
Have you tried skill training "volley and headers" and able to replicate the same power and consistency?

I'm just asking because even though I've have scored a decent amount of manual headers, I just doesn't feel it. It always felt like it given to me. There's a few that I'm satisfied, but who knows, maybe it was just given to me.

Sometimes I practice my headers on skill training "volley and headers" so that I can eliminate crossing inaccuracy. I just can't get consistent at it even when using players that are great at headers like CR7.

Last edited:
Guys I think I found strongest weapon about ai obsession for wing attacks. If opponent use this tactic just set under mark settings your wingbacks to mark attacking wing players. This way wingbacks stay very close to wingers and ai simply don`t rush to pass to them and try other ways to attack you. I played with Chelsea against Liverpool who usually spam wings and low crosses with Mane and Salah but I enjoyed 5 games against them and trully saw the beaty of ai variety during attacks. Don`t get me wrong if they found space in your defence they will try to pass to them but this will be around 80% less becouse they were marked all the time which is logical. I saw around 4-5 shots from outside of the box from ai, a lot of mistakes and battles in midfield. Salah scored 2-3 times on counter attack and goals a la Salah with finesse shots and for my surprise they were low shots, something I saw for the first time. I enjoy the game now even more! Just wait for pesuniverse to release bundesleague and to start league mode with some of european teams, if they don`t fix masterleague until then :D all of this was on top player and full manual

And make them just as accurate as they were for CL? :D

I don't think it's possible to make them accurate due to the lack of teams.

But at least do something. Just one spot for Thai league would be ugly, three spots or even two direct spots would be extremely unrealistic xD.

Just started a ML superstar full manual as Wigan. In the international cup I have PSG, Boca and one more quality side. 1st game as against PSG I got 2 shots on target both from 30 yards plus. They were just so dominant. Carvani and Naymar running riot. Ended up 2-0 but could of been 4,5 even 6 . Trying to buy a quicker CF

The more I play this the more I'm thinking what needs fixed first is NOT low cross frequency but the lack of AI dribbling and running with the ball at pace.

I have an awful feeling we'll swap the low cross/pass pass pass CPU attack for high cross/pass pass pass instead.

Make dribblers great again... Konami!!!

Sorry if this has already been answered but how do we unlock legends in my club? Actually enjoying the mode playing coop with my son

I am curious to see how Thai League (and eventual CSL) will interact with AFC Champions League.

Only Thai champion has a direct spot in group phase. The runner up and the cup champion have to play Play Offs against Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Australian teams.

Same for CSL that only had 2 direct spots and 2 other teams had to play Play Offs this year.

I wonder if they will add play offs and league ranking as in Europe.
I asked you this the other day but don't recall seeing an answer.

You keep talking about CSL and this alleged inclusion in the database but I've seen no proof of this. I think you may be the only person I've seen claiming this too.

Do you have any proof?

I asked you this the other day but don't recall seeing an answer.

You keep talking about CSL and this alleged inclusion in the database but I've seen no proof of this. I think you may be the only person I've seen claiming this too.

Do you have any proof?
Think I saw a picture saying CHINA_D1 League in some game files.

Think I saw a picture saying CHINA_D1 League in some game files.
I wouldn't mind seeing it.

I'm not buying that Konami have or are going to get the CSL on board. Given the publicity and given the fact that those files were already there (unlike the newly announced Thai ones) I think it's a red herring. Remember when people say that generic second division on the demo files? Came to nothing.

I'm not buying that Konami have or are going to get the CSL on board. Given the publicity and given the fact that those files were already there (unlike the newly announced Thai ones) I think it's a red herring. Remember when people say that generic second division on the demo files? Came to nothing.
Maybe it was photoshopped. Guess only time will tell.

Different stories.

Generic 2nd Division was always in the text files even after the 2nd Divisions inclusion in PES 2015.

But Chinese and Thai divisions were added in PES 2019 DB. And all CSL teams commentary names are also in the files.

Considering the files and info I got from reliable people, I believe 98% that it will be in the next DLC this month.

You are free to believe otherwise, we will find out soon anyway.

Different stories.

Generic 2nd Division was always in the text files even after the 2nd Divisions inclusion in PES 2015.

But Chinese and Thai divisions were added in PES 2019 DB. And all CSL teams commentary names are also in the files.

Considering the files and info I got from reliable people, I believe 98% that it will be in the next DLC this month.

You are free to believe otherwise, we will find out soon anyway.
Just words though, isn't it?
Show me some proof.

Tried to set every player on 18 with that (the whole team) didn't work
Good to know. Try to not life in the past...! ;)
Can’t complain about fouls in 2019! And IF there aren’t enough, this year you can force it like never before (in a good way).
Try dribbling but not putting the stick to the fullest. Fiddle with it. Move it only a few mm away from center. It will work wonders.
I bet the majority of PES players is moving the stick to the max! We had that topic before. It’s a (nother) waste of control opportunities!
There are so many animations and possibilities “hidden” in controls...! It’s insane. See spooneys videos, see some comments here, look at Twitter....!!!
This game can shine! So I repeat myself like the same flaw videos that been posted here over and over for some time?! :LMAO:
Right now I’m just so happy with this peace of software.
Same time I’m angry about repetitive wing spam and easy box goals by AI!
My major gripes with this!! It needs to be patched for sure.
Otherwise this game will end up as: weekend local matches and a game a week vs. AI, from January, I guess... I fear...

Just saying... might help some others.

I’m off. Having fun with Fulham! :D

Last edited:
FuMa headers are a headache, but I still hope I can manage them.

Isn’t there a way to perform low shots on FuMa? :(

Adv. Through Ball is very nice. I really like them. I am playing a FuMa ML with Leeds United on Pro and it’s very rewarding scoring a goal. Still a shame that FuMa doesn’t have all the animations tho.

Good to know. Try to not life in the past...! ;)
Can’t complain about fouls in 2019! And IF there aren’t enough, this year you can force it like never before (in a good way).
Try dribbling but not putting the stick to the fullest. Fiddle with it. Move it only a few mm away from center. It will work wonders.
I bet the majority of PES players is moving the stick to the max! We had that topic before. It’s a (nother) waste of control opportunities!
There are so many animations and possibilities “hidden” in controls...! It’s insane. See spooneys videos, see some comments here, look at Twitter....!!!
This game can shine! So I repeat myself like the same flaw videos that been posted here over and over for some time?! :LMAO:
Right now I’m just so happy with this peace of software.
Same time I’m angry about repetitive wing spam and easy box goals by AI!
My major gripes with this!! It needs to be patched for sure.
Otherwise this game will end up as: weekend local matches and a game a week vs. AI, from January, I guess... I fear...

Just saying... might help some others.

I’m off. Having fun with Fulham! :D
I agree,Pes 17 was the last game with fouls until Pes 19 (including FIFA 17-18)
Fix the bug with crosses only and it's a kerper

@Matt10

Enjoying the stream. Like your style: organic, what I aim for. Couple of questions if you can spare the time please:

Could you tell me which OF you are using? And what difficulty you’re on?

I'm getting better at headers on Advanced, incorporating super cancel and timing my movements. Had this one yesterday which had plenty of power;

I think we have got into some bad habits over the years in past football games, where to score great headers all you needed to do was hit the cross button, immediately hold the left stick towards the goal and hit the shoot button.

This year you actually still control your player for most of the time the ball is in the air - if you hold the left stick towards the goal too early then you're have no room to attack it. As soon as you strike the cross then focus on the positioning of your player.

Same thing as headers from goal kicks - I love playing against people who don't super cancel or try to better their position and instead just try to hold the direction where they want to head it. You can easily win the challenges or at least disrupt their header even with smaller players.

It's not perfect though, I particularly have trouble with headers when attacking wide free kicks. I'll put it right on a plate for someone 6 yards out and the header will just float to the keeper, even when its a running leap for the animation...

Back
Top Bottom