PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Any preference on camera angles yet for anyone? I've stuck with the default dynamic wide for now but played 90% of PES 2017 and 2018 with pitchside 2-0-10.

Quick question. Should I apply the live update before or after installing an option file?
Shouldn't make a difference if you're using an OF that doesn't touch transfers.

I know PES U******* have released their Bundesliga file but none of the others affect transfers.

Have Konami even acknowledged the fact that their AI is shit?

I dont like FIFA (i have to suck it up and play it now and then because my son has it... he's 8)... but they do support the game with patches, whether they do alot or not, they are still visible in trying to fix stuff.

I know Konami will dump out the usual 'some gameplay fixes' patch at some point, but will they actually acknowledge that the AI is boring and they need to tweak something under the hood to make it fun?

It winds me up more in the fact that the game is so close to being that much better than FIFA and all before it. But idk, maybe i should just play online now :(

On metacritic Pes 2019 on Ps4 has 80 MC and it's the lowest scoring Pes since Pes 2012. Most of the reviews praise improvements to gameplay but criticize lack of innovation or additions outside gameplay.
I'm quite happy, maybe they will notice something went wrong, i can only hope.

Have Konami even acknowledged the fact that their AI is shit?

I dont like FIFA (i have to suck it up and play it now and then because my son has it... he's 8)... but they do support the game with patches, whether they do alot or not, they are still visible in trying to fix stuff.

I know Konami will dump out the usual 'some gameplay fixes' patch at some point, but will they actually acknowledge that the AI is boring and they need to tweak something under the hood to make it fun?

It winds me up more in the fact that the game is so close to being that much better than FIFA and all before it. But idk, maybe i should just play online now :(
I'm really hoping at the very least that they patch out the incessant low cross spam and CPU not shooting when in great positions.

What bothers me most is that they've clearly done work on defensive A.i & positioning because it's much improved from last year.
The attacking A.i is utter shit though and you have to wonder why?

Say what you want about PES 2018's attacking A.i & chipped through ball spam, I'd honestly take that back in a heartbeat compared to this. At least they would shoot from anywhere & everywhere and do some pretty awesome things at times, they certainly acted more human in their approach play on occasion.

Started a quick ML with Parma last night just to check out the gameplay, top player, manual passing, basic shooting, AI absolutely pounded me into the ground, lost every game, usually in a big way. For high research purposes I jotted down every time the AI scored a low cross goal against something else, when the number was 10-2 I stopped bothering.
Next up, pro difficulty and manual shooting. Because I feel like every opposing keeper has my number, I need intruduce something into my shooting that might throw them off.

Started my ML with QPR last night on Professional, PA0 and basic shooting. Using original QPR squad (as in their real players).

Had a lot of fun playing it. Each game felt different and player individuality shone through even with a team as weak as QPR stats wise. Ai were for the most part great to play against. Although they typically looked for low passes into the box to score their goals, i did see high crosses and long balls too. One shot from outside the box too, but obviously that isn't nearly enough, especially when i had a couple of games where they had no shots on goal at all.

Championship teams spent more time on the ball before passing. I did play Chelsea in a cup and they passed it around without any errors, unless they attempted high passes. They knocked it around quickly, but not overly ping pong like. They went 1-0 up and had a fair few shots that didn't go in. They then sat back a bit to try and defend their lead, but I managed to get an equaliser. Then they went back to full on attack and suddenly they had so much space. The inevitable happened and they fired in a low cross from near the corner flag towards the near corner of the 6-yard box and Morata ran in and beat 3 of my defenders to the ball and poked the ball in. I never felt in control of the situation and it seemed that they were always going to score.
Amazingly the end stats showed my keeper as saving 6 shots. A couple were headers which are not guaranteed to go in unlike normal kicked shots from in the area. Also, Chelsea were trying shots from different areas in the penalty box or going for more awkward shots. Other teams just shoot from comfortable positions in the box.

Of the matches I played last night, here is the goals to (shots on target) ratio:

v Hull 0 (0)
v Aston Villa 2 (2)
v Birmingham 0 (1)
v Birmingham 2 (3)
v Middlesbrough 0 (0)
v Stoke 2 (3) - save from header
v Derby 3 (3)
v Chelsea 2 (8) - 2 saves from headers
v Millwall 0 (0)

Excluding the Chelsea match, the ratios don't make great reading. Admittedly, my goalkeepers are only rated 63 and 67, so I will look at the stats when i get a goalkeeper in the 70's at least. However, I conceded 4 against Lebanon (with 4 shots on target) with 84 rated Pickford in goal for England last night. So no guarantees this will make a difference. As i've said before, its more to do with the ai mostly only shooting when they know they can definitely score. PES 2018 was better in this department as the ai wasn't so ruthless, but 2019, the build up play is more varied.

One final thing to add is regarding goalkeepers and not running out. In my final game against Millwall (they slide tackle a lot btw), their keeper came out with the ball at his feet to the edge of the box towards one corner away from goal and passed it to his defender across the front of the box. I ran in and won the ball off the defender and the goalie started running towards the loose ball, but just before i got to it, he started running back towards the goal rather than closing me down. He was on the penalty spot running back to goal when i lobbed him first time. He could easily have closed me down had he not run back towards goal. Seems like they insist on going back to their goal line no matter what!

Aside from these problems, I did really enjoy the games I played. Definitely has that one more game feel and every match feels different. I scored two headers from corners last night and the ai scored against me with headers, so no problems there from what I can see. Just needs to iron out these issues we've all flagged on here as they are close to making something really special here.

Look at this

This is the huge issue with Pes 2019 offensive CPU.

I would call that an issue if the attacker was just about to enter the penalty area. Its obvious that the defender is about to catch the attacker in this situation. So the options are :
1. Protect the ball from the defender
2. Pass the ball to closest teammate.
3. Run to the goal with the risk of being intercepted.

Well, about likenesses and faces, we've got to wait for a "true" first datapack, made for the current season.
It's only the 31 august, the DLC was released yesterday. Transfers aren't finished, and the time to build an send the Datapack takes more time that a simple live update.
Nothing unusual, and i said that not in a "bad way".

That's the price to pay for having the game ASAP on the marketplace. But we could play one month in advance.

At least they got the name right;))

His likeness will be added and we will sure as shit know about it too.
I do miss the days of Konami having player names as slightly different versions of their real life counterparts.

Naby Keita being Kaby Neita would have been a great throwback to older PES games. And then the entire Dutch team being Oranges001 would be fantastic.

After 25 years of developing the AI in this game, it's utterly pathetic how little they've achieved in delivering a convincing AI opponent. One-dimensional garbage.

And with zero development in so many areas of the rest of the game - tactics identical to last year, editing identical to last year, still exactly the same limited replays, camera angles, etc.

They're clearly banking o a few new licensed leagues as making up for zero development.

I would call that an issue if the attacker was just about to enter the penalty area. Its obvious that the defender is about to catch the attacker in this situation. So the options are :

It also happens when CPU players are a lot nearer the penalty area, this exact movement.

After 25 years of developing the AI in this game, it's utterly pathetic how little they've achieved in delivering a convincing AI opponent. One-dimensional garbage.

And with zero development in so many areas of the rest of the game - tactics identical to last year, editing identical to last year, still exactly the same limited replays, camera angles, etc.

They're clearly banking o a few new licensed leagues as making up for zero development.

Well, not zero, but the strict minimum to not show the same exact gameplay compared to last year.
Also, did you watch how cool the signing player animation is in Myclub? They could have done something like that for Master League, but nope, Myclub brings them money, Master League doesn't.

One last thing: there are two different players in Myclub because one is the normal version and the other is the Team of The Week version. The problem is TOTW version is so boosted you can see a player like Ziyech rated at 96. Yep, it's there with the best player in the game. Besides, these players will stay with these updated stats all year long and are relatively cheap, but can only bought with coins, which means real life money.

They are clearly trying to attract FUT players, even unbalancing things in Myclub and offering cheap OP players, they are desperate for money at this point.

This is not the Konami that brought us the best football games ever, there are just a bunch of greedy managers now, forcing developers to focus just on Myclub, to maximize earnings.

Well, about likenesses and faces, we've got to wait for a "true" first datapack, made for the current season.

That's a lot of faces they need to update. I saw a post saying all these licensed leagues are showing fake generic faces.

Then even the face of partner club like Barca' s Arthur still generic.

I've keep boasting to FIFA folks that PES18 has more real faces than FIFA 18 and i am hopeful that's still be the case for PES2019.

Look at this

This is the huge issue with Pes 2019 offensive CPU.

Really? Protecting the ball when the defenders are a few yards away.
Pass the ball to closest teammate? That's exactly what he did and throw away a better opportunity to score, if he didn't stop dribbling/moving forward.
Risk of being intercepted? Risk just got higher because of the stupid move. After doing that move, 2 defenders are now on him.

Disagree; the attacker is sufficiently in front of the defender and the chances of reaching the box to shoot well enough to score are very high. When he passes it back, there are now two defenders between the man on the ball and the goal, as well as the original attacker now being marked.

Additionally, the game does the same thing when it's even further forward with a very speedy player. It's broken.

I can't image that Adam, Asim or Konami really look at the /r/WEPES sub reddit - which is a huge shame considering the sub has grown from 2k subscribers in 2016 to 11k this year.

It was me; there's a thread on here too. There is no way they can't have seen it, so if no response is forthcoming then it's fairly obvious that nothing will be done about it.

I think it's safe to say CPU AI has only have been tweaked with their "sliders", without really testing it.

Back
Top Bottom