PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Been asked for my views on Master League/Offline gaming with PES, due to be posed on various PES fansites - long post but read below if you wish.

Master League.

Having been a die-hard PES fan for over 15 years now, I have seen the franchise, and more specifically, the Master League mode, change drastically over those years, and culminate at a point, where, here in 2018, the mode is merely a shadow of its former colossal self.
For anyone over the age of 25-30, mention ‘PES’ to any male into video games, and he would immediately respond with ‘Master League !!!’ with a glint in his eye and a smile broader than Castolo’s forehead.
ML mode gave Pro Evolution Soccer its cult status, it gave you the freedom and creativity to imagine up your own fantasy football world, forge make-believe relationships with each of your players, take a team of no-hopers such as Dodo, Castolo, Hamsun, Ivarov, Ximelez and company to the dizzy heights of world football, it was Championship manager meets match of the day, and it took over countless hours, days, weeks and months of every year until you had achieved that elusive back to back treble, hoisted that shiny WEFA cup above your captains head, and watched your players ceremoniously awarded their winners medals on pitch to the backdrop of a high tempo, joyous Japanese trance soundtrack.
It was beautiful, it was the beautiful game at it’s finest.

Sadly, those memories are a thing of the past. Times change, life moves on, nothing lasts forever, and the business model which Konami seems to be aligning themselves with, doesn’t cater well for the offline players who prefer simulation and realism over instant gratification gaming.
The recent boom in online gaming, streaming, and e-sports has brought big money into the industry, you have gamers who stream for hours and hours on end each day, produce content that is saturated throughout social media, all the while, serving as a PR machine for the developers and brands, in this case Konami, so of course it makes sense to align themselves with this growing trend, they are a business after all, they will focus more on the game modes that they can monetize and that provides additional revenue over and above the initial sale, they are maximising their profit potential, safe and sound business acumen.

What this means for the offline gamer in today’s age though is that we get the second pickings, our beloved Master League is now an afterthought, limited resources are put into developing the mode, as in Konami’s eyes, it serves them no revenue purpose.

That’s the background, so why is there widespread disappointment and frustration within the offline PES community? Purely & Simply it’s because we are served up a mode year after year, that is pretty much an unfinished product, the basic elements do not function correctly, or are missing, the features that are there, are bare bones and a token gesture, and much of the old Master League mode that made the game such a cult figure with fans, has been removed for no justifiable reason.
PES 2010 arguably had the best, most feature rich ML mode of any PES game, ever, it had in-depth individual player training, team training, full control over finances, hiring and development of club facilities and staff, such as doctors, physio’s, assistant manages, all of whom had an impact on how your club was run.
Do you decide to invest heavily in a 3 star physio so that you can prevent as many injuries and help injured players recover quicker? Or use that money to boost youth team facilities in order to generate better player potential, with the ability to nurture into a future talent, or sell on for a decent fee?
Under perform and you may lose your contract with various sponsors who have set criteria, again affecting the bank balance and your ability to invest in facilities or sign new players.

You had player interactions, Shimizu moaning because at the ripe old age of sixteen, after being promoted from the youth team but yet to make his debut, he demanded the no. 10 shirt, do you give him it or say no and risk his affection level going down and thus risk him choosing to let his contract run down.
There was stuff to do off the pitch, it made you feel like you was existing in a fantasy football world, and everything you did then mattered on the pitch.
Lose games, reduced attendances, lower gate receipts, less transfer money, or even the dreaded game over if you failed to adequately balance the books every September, you was the manager, you ran the club, you played the games, your decisions mattered, you earned every second of the success you achieved.

Couple all that with in-depth player stats, such as when the player joined, his rating when he joined, how he has developed over his tenure with your club, how many goals, assists, Yellow & Red cards, how much profit he generated when selling him on, it all added up to a wonderfully engaging mode, that captivated your imagination and made you want to be playing, every second of the day.
Queue PES 2019, and more than 10 years later and the mode has been left to stagnate and rot beyond recognition.
Transfers are broken, teams sell half their squads and end up only having two subs, with goalkeepers playing up front, release fees are ridiculously low, making the entire reason for release fees null and void and pointless.
Transfers between teams see the likes of Aguero at West Brom, and Messi at Stoke, extremely unrealistic, despite the fact we was assured by certain Konami figures on Twitter that this had all been fixed. Fixed? It’s more broken than ever.
Couple the above with the fact that the offline AI is the worst we have ever seen in a PES game, repetitive over use of low cross into the box, from the wing, throw in a first time back heel, and first time shot, every single attack, it becomes monotonous, yes you can track runners and prevent the goal 70% of the time, but the monotony is in knowing what the CPU is going to do every single time, every single match, where is the variation or intelligence?
PES 19 feels beautiful when we have the ball at our feet, but absolutely horrid when we don’t.

Player celebrations are generic and scoring a 90th minute winner in an FA Cup match against a team from the division above is as rinse & repeat as scoring the 5th in a 5-0 win over the bottom side.
I could go on, but ultimately what ML fans want, is realism.

The newly licensed ICC pre-season cup is again unrealistic and pointless. Only the ‘Champions’ or top teams from each league compete in this tournament, hence the name, you don’t get invited if you are Stoke, or Brentford, or MK Dons, so as most people start a ML campaign with the default players at a lowly club in the English Championship or equivalent lower league division, you are then immediately pitted against the likes of PSG, Boca Jnrs, Lyon, etc.
Competing in this tournament should be something you have to earn, work towards, instead you should have a month’s period whereby you can arrange pre-season friendlies against clubs of your choice, and the bigger the club, the more gate receipts, TV rights money and merchandise sales you pull in, boosting the coffers for your pre-season transfer dealings, it used to be this way, why did it get removed? For what logical reason?

This is a recurring theme throughout the last 5 years or more with PES, why have you suddenly removed features the fans loved?
Sponsorships.
Hiring Staff.
Finance Control.
Pre-season friendlies.
Varying attendances based on results.
Stadium Editor.
In-Depth Stats
A decent AI ……..

Konami stated they have a 3 year plan for Master League, PES 19 should have been year one of that 3 year plan, so we couldn’t expect the world, but at least start on a solid footing, instead the mode is hollow, stale and totally lacks immersion.

If Konami want to stand by their word and reinvigorate Master League then they need to go down the simulation and realism route, as this is what fans want.
Reinstate the features that we once loved so much, give us back stadium editor so we don’t have to play as Burton Albion in a 70,000 euro bowl stadium, add in a match day experience broadcast package, actually CARE about the mode that kept the series alive and gave it the reputation it has.
We was here playing ML, supporting the series and building the brand way before any of this MyClub streaming stuff came about, but to us, it feels as if Konami have ditched the long-term loyal fans in favour of the ones they can use to market their game and make money from.

There are two key, fundamental values in life that should be adhered to, Loyalty and integrity.
Neither of these are evident when it comes to Konami these days.

Photo shopping screenshots posted on Twitter to ‘correct’ the fact that their own official screenshot showed Liverpool having sold Mané, Firminho and Salah all in the same season, then senior figures tweeting assuring us that transfers in PES 19 were not like this and were realistic, and that Master League was a breath of fresh air?

We, as Offline players, are constantly being sold a complete bag of lies, given an unfinished product, then ignored when we constructively feedback.
Things have to change, seriously change, and soon, otherwise Konami will lose a large portion of their user base, and any reputation that they once had will also be gone.

giphy.gif

What the fuck, after yesterday's patch the AI is not just spamming low crosses, but actually doing other shit. I'm pretty sure it's not placebo because I've played the crap outta this game and I had 4 straight games where the attacking AI was varied.

Did the game decide to be a bit different yesterday?

I tried an experiment

I created a player in edit mode with all 99 stats...so i've got 108 as Overall

After that i put the player into team(Leverkusen)and start a New ML

i went to transfert mode and i asked for that guy that i created

Ok the price at the beginning was 70 million € with 20% chances to get him

So finally to buy the player the price was 164 million € with 15 million as a wage

So the thing is that to get real price you must to work with the stats,but it's gonna be a big mess especially with the old players

Is a real shame to see De Bruyne bought for 50 milion € with 91 as Overall

This guy gets it.

Stop tweeting. Stop playing. Stop being on their radar.

You think daniel still doesn't check this forum - i bet he does and he's loving that despite a broken game the 2019 forum is still active.

My torrent of my posts is basically verging on an "au revoir".

And sorry if you feel if you think I'm telling you to do something you don't want to. Lets just say I was in a state f high addiction; I (kinda) broke loose and now I'm giving you my thoughts.

I think its important for some of you to know that someone is thinking like this. Because, in all honesty, if I was a lurker and I'd have read my own posts being typed by someone else I would have been 3 years better off with my time and a bit richer too.

PS Daniel - liars never prosper

His trolling on WENB was ridiculous

Another over-expectation that seems so simple to get fixed but it will never get fixed in this ocean of messy bugs.It is present since 2016 when TeamSpirit was introduced.
I give an example,let’s assume you take a player on loan in August and you play him in starting XI in every game through season,so he gets affection to your play style and the TS raises.I you buy him in November you must wait until 1st January when transfer window opens to get the transfer finalized.In 1st January the player is yours and still in your game plan but the TS goes down as he joined the team for the first time!

This game feels so limited in the matter of goal scoring. A well placed shot its unstoppable no matter the goalkeeper is on the line. In real life, sometimes goalkeepers dont get near the ball on long shots. But I dont feel this. Sometimes I feel that you will never going to score, no matter where you are aiming even in mid range shots. Shots are this scripted since PES 2014. Its frustrating and unrewarding.

Last edited:
What the fuck, after yesterday's patch the AI is not just spamming low crosses, but actually doing other shit. I'm pretty sure it's not placebo because I've played the crap outta this game and I had 4 straight games where the attacking AI was varied.

Did the game decide to be a bit different yesterday?

I have certainly seen the AI do other things, high crosses, for example, pre patch. You may have just been lucky with it for a few games in a row.

I am getting old and forgetful, but apart from the 'green zone' bug which was in... Well, one of the games, have they actually fixed an obvious AI error? I feel like the Keepers being glued to the line has been around for a few games now.

Well, its been two weeks and they've not even mentioned the master league or A.I issues so its safe to say, its never going to be fixed.

Also, as for people going on about the FIFA demo, if you all expect that to be perfect, you are in for a surprise. The BETA got hammered and branded the worst FIFA ever. But, most people who play FIFA don't give a shit about the gameplay and only care about real names so why would they bother??
Its going to be FIFA 18. 2.0 :)

oh rly ? :D most of reviews are very positive

No, he's saying that in eSports tournaments there's no point in having fantasy teams because football clubs with an eSports division like Schalke want to see their real players on the virtual pitch. This is why players will have the same stats in the eFootball.Pro league.

No, he's saying that in eSports tournaments there's no point in having fantasy teams because football clubs with an eSports division like Schalke want to see their real players on the virtual pitch. This is why players will have the same stats in the eFootball.Pro league.
Ah, thanks for that - that makes more sense...

As an eSports team though, you want to win, surely - if I started a Tranmere Rovers eSports team and had to use Tranmere players against Dortmund's players or something... It'd be a bit pointless (unless it was 100% manual and the players were merely visual representations, but no eSports player ever is going to use manual)...

Well, its been two weeks and they've not even mentioned the master league or A.I issues so its safe to say, its never going to be fixed.

Also, as for people going on about the FIFA demo, if you all expect that to be perfect, you are in for a surprise. The BETA got hammered and branded the worst FIFA ever. But, most people who play FIFA don't give a shit about the gameplay and only care about real names so why would they bother??
Its going to be FIFA 18. 2.0 :)

I tried the Demo of Fifa today and I was surprised, i liked it. If course there is a difference to PES, but for me the best fifa Demo i played so far.
If final game will be the same it will be my first buy of Fifa since.... a lot of years...

I have certainly seen the AI do other things, high crosses, for example, pre patch. You may have just been lucky with it for a few games in a row.
Bummer, I had a lot of fun with those couple of games. I'll play it tonight and will probably be back to low-cross spamming.

Anyone finding playing pes on pass assist boring and scripted.come and give full manual team play ago.you won't regret it.theres no words to describe it playing in a team of like minded players.the nearest thing to playing a football sim.all the scripted feeling gone. never feel cheated.
If interested get in contact.theres not long till this league starts.we play most nights from 21:00

I tried the Demo of Fifa today and I was surprised, i liked it. If course there is a difference to PES, but for me the best fifa Demo i played so far.
If final game will be the same it will be my first buy of Fifa since.... a lot of years...
I tried it to .. to me same fifa to be honest... hope since we're in a PES forum I am safe to say that:).

The game compared to PES feels so cartoonish in a way , animation, players models seem always awkward to me. Game play wise, I'd say i just like PES approach to the game. What I always do is in order for me to appreciate PES, despite its flaws, I force myself to try fifa. I then realize thank god we have PES as a better simulation of football, at least on the pitch.

Ah, thanks for that - that makes more sense...

As an eSports team though, you want to win, surely - if I started a Tranmere Rovers eSports team and had to use Tranmere players against Dortmund's players or something... It'd be a bit pointless (unless it was 100% manual and the players were merely visual representations, but no eSports player ever is going to use manual)...
As I said, all players will apparently have the same stats there so there's no difference between Tranmere and Dortmund.

I joined Celtic in one of my test BAL saves. Made me debut against Shakhtar in the Europa League.

I have 2 clips I'd like to show you.

In this first one, look at the positioning of the defenders when the attacker receives the ball in the box. Why are they pushed that far back? This is why low crosses and backheels are so damn effective. The defenders just back off from attackers in the area.

And then after receiving the ball on the box with acres of space he, of course, passes it.

I started noticing this animation last night but this was the worst example of it happening. I put the camera of the right back. Watch as he goes into an animation and jogs up field as the ball is played into left winger. We didn't score on this possession but we got a quality chance and frankly I'd be livid had it happened to me.

But hey at least the free kicks are pretty right?

Played all night yesterday against a mate. The game is awesome when playing human vs human offline. Really, it was great fun. Great goals, crazy shit, penalties, great misses, unbelievable saves by the GK or bloopers.

But above all that, I was able to control the matches like back in the day. My skills are much higher than his. Still, the past few years he could keep up with me. Before that, way back in the ps2 era, I always destroyed him.

In PES 2019, he has no chance like back then. In 15 minutes matches he gets 3 or 4 shots. I get like 20 shots on target. He just cant spam the pass button no more and he has no other gameplan. In previous games, PA1 was way more easy than now. Noooo, I'm not saying it's like manual (I am not Daniel), but it is less assisted in 19. And yes, fatigue does matter. He never subs in PES. After two games he started to sub.....

I’m not going to talk fifa but if this was on pes the gameplay would have been so much better. Konami please bring back mass system. Just do it. I’m sick of players just running into each other easily.

As my mate cant come round every time I play PES (as human v human is great) Ive just sold this on Ebay.

I play against mates regularly. So for me it's good enough. But I played a match against AI and maybe just luck, but it was pretty fun and less low crosses. But maybe it's the team I played against (Roma)

The Pesdb.net Pes 2019 database is up and running for anyone who wants to find out agent combinations for players they want, personally I only use it for white, bronze & sometimes silver level players who you can level up over time to a decent standard, if you want to get gold level scouts/agents then it will cost you a feckin fortune in GP when you hit the auction house ;)

Absolutely! I don´t know why this is so hard for some people to understand. They can´t criticise the game.
They have to promote it, that´s their job.
This is where I disagree. Promote all you want, but don't lie. You promote and emphasize the stuff that you have, not stuff you don't. This is in fact unethical and misleading.

They're quite lucky they don't receive big backlash like other games do over the smallest things. Friggin Spiderman got backlash over a puddle of water fgs, lol. And PES PR gets away with a lot of shit.

Guys is it me or AI scoring from low crossess got even worse after today`s patch? I know they didn`t mention any gameplay changes but... I concede 2-3 goals every match from low crosses, before that I can block them, now attackers become left alone from defenders to score. Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom