Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
PES looks nothing like modern football though....teams don’t get to the wing and low cross everytime I watch a Premier League match.

It's your opinion. In in my opinion modern football is different than football 80's like i see in FIFA 19. Most of you play with CPU. I play online typical skill matches with people who want play football. Our view of game is totally different. Maybe you have right that FIFA offline is better, i don't know becasue i play with CPU in 80's and 90's. It was 25-30 years ago.

Last edited:
It's your opinion. In in my opinion modern football is different than football 80's like i see in FIFA 19. Most of you play with CPU. I play online typical skill matches with people who want play football. Our view of game is totally different. Maybe you have right that FIFA offline is better, i don't know becasue i play with CPU in 80's and 90's. It was 25-30 years ago.

From what I've read so far on the forum I conclude that :

PES 19 is the best game for couch PvP
Fifa 19 is the best for online PvP and offline

As you touched upon, whichever game you prefer probably sits with which of these modes you prefer.

Just switched from broadcast to dynamic camera and loving it. It's a different game because your able to see the little things that improve your angles and distances to improve your defending and dribbling. i can time my long balls down the wing better. the tiki-taka doesn't seem as hard to keep up with either. looks great too.

here is an example, i wouldn't have been able to stop Bale like this, kick the ball of him winning the goal kick, on another camera.

Last edited:
From what I've read so far on the forum I conclude that :

PES 19 is the best game for couch PvP
Fifa 19 is the best for online PvP and offline
I would have agreed up until last night, when I played the FIFA early access version with a friend.

I think it just depends on what you're looking for. To me PES is on rails and much more basic in its representation - and I'm not saying that in an insulting way, because ball physics etc. are undoubtedly better. But to me, most games of PES - even with two human players - you're only focusing on one element (the passing) and attributes don't really come into it. The pattern of every game is heavily passing-based, and you don't have to think about physical battles, or being off-balance when you shoot (all shots are perfectly struck), or anything else.

FIFA does so much more. It doesn't necessarily do it right, depending on your viewpoint - some people might think the physical battles happen too often, and I'd say ball physics are 80% good and 20% strange (the ball slowing down so quickly on a long ground pass, deflections seemingly speeding up the ball - yet sometimes you'll see a save and think it was amazing).

But when I look at the (real-life) Champions League goals, how quick the passing is, how the ball deflects between packs of players sometimes - I don't see that in PES. Nothing like it.

Against a friend last night, the way players like Salah took 8+ touches of the ball within seconds, to control the ball and move in the direction you want him to (and guiding it around the opponent)... It blew me away.

We had the best games of football either of us have had in years.

If I had to give a "the best game for X situation" analysis, like you have, I'd say...

If you love PES, you want to play a PES-feeling game. That will only ever be PES. I honestly think FIFA represents more of football (even though it has faults) - even the tactical battles, now. But. If you don't like the "jelly-legs" feel of FIFA... You will never like FIFA.

(And that's fair enough. You can get a great game out of PES with friends. PES is a good-feeling game, especially on-the-ball. This year's feels very PESsy.)

But if you can like FIFA... Wow, is this one good.

Have to say though (creating a separate post from the above because it's a different topic)...

I'm a little concerned with difficulty levels. I feel quite lucky that, on Professional, with semi-passing, I'm not finding it too easy and I'm seeing some pretty great end-of-match stats.

I put Ultimate Team on this morning - I was interested to see how it plays online, but I had to play a game against the AI first, so I didn't get to play online in the end!

I put the difficulty level up to World Class, and I ended with 74% pass completion, while the opposition (a J-League team), with the same overall rating as my team, ended with 89% pass completion, and it didn't feel great, I've got to say. They passed really well (although they were terrible at crossing), with a fair few first-time passes.

Bizarrely though, my experience on Professional with two human players against the CPU was entirely different to when I played on my own - and when I say "entirely"... With a friend, as Man City, Bournemouth scored four goals against us. On my own, I'm barely conceding.

I've got two theories - either A) the game said "Professional" but it was actually Legendary (my default setting), because this game is very buggy... Or, B) the AI is ruthless at taking advantage of space (my friend brings out defenders all the time, he's a pain in the arse).

Have to say though (creating a separate post from the above because it's a different topic)...

I'm a little concerned with difficulty levels. I feel quite lucky that, on Professional, with semi-passing, I'm not finding it too easy and I'm seeing some pretty great end-of-match stats.

I put Ultimate Team on this morning - I was interested to see how it plays online, but I had to play a game against the AI first, so I didn't get to play online in the end!

I put the difficulty level up to World Class, and I ended with 74% pass completion, while the opposition (a J-League team), with the same overall rating as my team, ended with 89% pass completion, and it didn't feel great, I've got to say. They passed really well (although they were terrible at crossing).

Bizarrely though, my experience on Professional with two human players against the CPU was entirely different to when I played on my own - and when I say "entirely"... With a friend, as Man City, Bournemouth scored four goals against us. On my own, I'm barely conceding.

I've got two theories - either A) the game said "Professional" but it was actually Legendary (my default setting), because there's a ton of bugs at the minute... Or, B) the AI is ruthless at taking advantage of space (my friend brings out defenders all the time, he's a fucking pain in the arse to play with).

I'm playing on a World Class and the pass competition from the CPU has been as low as 75% and pretty varied so World Class is working fine, I haven't seen poor teams post high numbers.

What I would like to see is big teams keep the ball more and their possession % be higher than mine. Interestingly though, when you don't switch players as much and let the AI help you, the CPU slows down and keeps the ball.

kind of debating the EA early access as its a good way to answer my questions hands on BUT..

if you have early access and can go online, i assume everything like FUT purchases will get reset on release day?

also any comment on online matchmaking filters?

kind of debating the EA early access as its a good way to answer my questions hands on BUT..

if you have early access and can go online, i assume everything like FUT purchases will get reset on release day?
No reset, as far as I know. You're playing a full release - it will be patched, but nothing will be reset, as far as I know (I'm sure it wasn't last year).

For £4, for a month's access (plus 10% off the full game if you buy it on the Xbox), I mean. It's a pretty good deal. Worst case scenario is that you spend £4 finding out you don't like the game, and you end up saving yourself £50... Because if you don't like this, you won't like the full game.

also any comment on online matchmaking filters?
In Ultimate Team there aren't any filters, as far as I'm aware. It's nowhere near as bad as myClub but still bad (you'll sometimes come up against 11 superstars in FUT - you'll ALWAYS come up against 11 superstars in myClub). Everyone plays on the default settings, which means fully-assisted everything.

However, in Online Seasons (where you pick a real team and play with them, going up and down the divisions - no transfers or anything like that), you can filter matches, based on control method (so you only play manual players), and/or team rating.

But. I couldn't find an online game using a manual filter in FIFA 18 to save my life. I tried for 30 minutes at a time, over the course of a couple of weeks, and I literally didn't find one game (on PS4). But then others have said they managed it.

Chris' post is encouraging. I don't know much about how FIFA's sliders work, but as long as I can make the game slower and tone down some things like shot Power I will be a happy man
You can select the game speed of "slow", without touching the sliders. Suddenly, the game is TOO slow (guys like Salah can't get past a defender). Which means upping the speed/acceleration slider(s), which results in more fatigue to your players, which is a huge bonus IMO (I don't think players tire enough by default).

My only worry is that a patch ups the speed of the game, which will affect all speed modes. Sliders will still help, but the current scenario is great. I'd hate to lose that fatigue benefit.

There are tons of sliders - top speed, acceleration, pass error, pass speed, shot error, shot speed, line positioning, run frequency and more - which exist for you and the AI separately.

They don't fix everything - like the weird ball physics on occasion (you can't stop the ball slowing down too quickly on long passes, or the way deflections can speed up the ball - not without making general passes and shots too slow, anyway). Also, some sliders affect more than one thing - increasing pass error introduces crossing error, for example, so the AI suddenly starts hitting too many crosses out of play (which they do quite a bit by default, now).

But. You get the best out of the game with them - and they make a great game even better. They're the best thing about FIFA, IMO.

Has anyone tried an English League 2 match yet? Do any teams consistently play longball? Are the games much more scrappy with much less ping-pong by cpu? Is there a clear difference in how each of the lower league teams plays or does every match feel broadly similar? Do custom tactics clearly work when set on cpu teams?

Has anyone tried an English League 2 match yet? Do any teams consistently play longball? Are the games much more scrappy with much less ping-pong by cpu? Is there a clear difference in how each of the lower league teams plays or does every match feel broadly similar? Do custom tactics clearly work when set on cpu teams?
I think it all depends on difficulty level. On Professional, I think the difference is pretty huge. On World Class and above, passing accuracy starts to increase and it's not great (but sliders will help).

They certainly make more mistakes, though. Bad crosses, bad backpasses that give you a 1-on-1 with the keeper. It's better than it's ever been in terms of team individuality.

The most recent example I can give you is playing a J-League team this morning. Sagan Tosu. League Two-level team, but they had Torres up-front. Passing accuracy (on World Class) was pretty high - 89% - and I was disappointed. I wouldn't say they were doing tiki-taka by any means, but they weren't hitting poor passes. Or amazing passes - just a lot of sensible, good passes.

But when it came to shooting... They were terrible. Couldn't hit the target. Until it was Torres shooting. Then, you were in grave danger. (He ended up scoring a half-volley to tie the game.)

Custom tactics clearly work when setting them for CPU teams, yes. They still make short passes when they're on, but hit long passes when someone makes a run (when you set them to play "long ball").

But again, the higher difficulties force the AI to play with higher accuracy, which overrides the tactics a little bit, which can result in the game looking a bit silly at times (with a sprinkling of tiki-taka in the final third). But, again, it's a lot better than it was.

Yeah I agree. The animations doesn't feel jointed and fluid. It feels like it skips some frames or something. Really annoying knowing how fluid the PES dribbling animation is.

You'll be happy to hear that reducing marking under 50 (I'm on 40 currently) helps the magnetic defending that has plagued the last couple years. Total freedom in feel of players. There is no grinding threshold, anything can happen. Such a relief. I'd say 40 is the lowest, so I'll be testing other values. From there, it's a matter of getting the lines to allow for it to work all together.

I keep going on about it, but I just love the dribbling this year. You really notice the difference when you're controlling the likes of Hazard and Salah (as you should). Being able to create space for myself just by slowing down or making slight movements hasn't felt this good in FIFA since who knows when.

The models and movement can be a bit wonky at times, but the atmosphere and presentation certainly doesn't hurt. It's always nice when I don't cock up a goal scoring chance on manual as Firmino did very well to drift to the back post. Love the way the keeper reacts as well.

Get in.

Last edited:
Dynamic camera all the way! It gives so much detail! Really loving that camera since FIFA 08.

It's also my favorite camera but it should allow us to zoom out a little further In last editions couldn't used it because the game gets even faster. It's better this year on slow?

@Chris Davies very encouraging your thoughts about fifa 19. But what about 1vs1 (mostly online, and offline too) and not only against vs CPU?
As I said in an earlier post:

[...]I played the FIFA early access version with a friend. [1v1]

I think it just depends on what you're looking for. To me PES is on rails and much more basic in its representation - and I'm not saying that in an insulting way, because ball physics etc. are undoubtedly better. But to me, most games of PES - even with two human players - you're only focusing on one element (the passing) and attributes don't really come into it. The pattern of every game is heavily passing-based, and you don't have to think about physical battles, or being off-balance when you shoot (all shots are perfectly struck), or anything else.

FIFA does so much more. It doesn't necessarily do it right, depending on your viewpoint - some people might think the physical battles happen too often, and I'd say ball physics are 80% good and 20% strange (the ball slowing down so quickly on a long ground pass, deflections seemingly speeding up the ball - yet sometimes you'll see a save and think it was amazing).

But when I look at the (real-life) Champions League goals, how quick the passing is, how the ball deflects between packs of players sometimes - I don't see that in PES. Nothing like it.

Against a friend last night, the way players like Salah took 8+ touches of the ball within seconds, to control the ball and move in the direction you want him to (and guiding it around the opponent)... It blew me away.

We had the best games of football either of us have had in years.

If I had to give a "the best game for X situation" analysis, like you have, I'd say...

If you love PES, you want to play a PES-feeling game. That will only ever be PES. I honestly think FIFA represents more of football (even though it has faults) - even the tactical battles, now. But. If you don't like the "jelly-legs" feel of FIFA... You will never like FIFA.

(And that's fair enough. You can get a great game out of PES with friends. PES is a good-feeling game, especially on-the-ball. This year's feels very PESsy.)

But if you can like FIFA... Wow, is this one good.

Some more videos. All of the below is on Professional AI, semi controls for me.

Champions League. Liverpool (me) versus Napoli (AI). Early doors, we're 1-0 down. A vicious low shot from Hamsik that the keeper should have saved. I grind and I grind, but I'm getting nowhere. It stays at 1-0. Until the 70th minute.

I'm trying to spam the wings as soon as I get the ball, given the talent Liverpool have there. But I'm getting nowhere - they're getting marked out of the game. So I go through the middle.

At which point, Mané cuts inside. (Lightbulb moment, wait until they run away from their marker and cut inside before passing to them, Chris, you idiot.)

Love the way the keeper goes for it with one hand, then swings the other hand.

I'm celebrating, it's 1-1, I'll take a point in all honesty.
Then, this. (I think the goal looks really lifelike.)

2-1 down. Annoyed. I switch to all-out attack.
Through-ball. I go for the dink. (Bit weird from the goalkeeper...)

2-2. Final minutes. I'm not switching from attack.
I'm going for it. The Napoli defence switches off. Then.

Absolutely love the side-foot, stroked finish.

Final whistle blows, it's all over. Four goals in 20 minutes.
From 1-0 down to 3-2 winners. I'll take that, thanks.

BONUS VIDEO: This is what I mean by the ball seemingly speeding up on certain deflections - if you smashed the ball off someone, fair enough, it might deflect up like this, but it accelerates into the sky and looks absolutely mental...

Some more videos. All of the below is on Professional AI, semi controls for me.

Champions League. Liverpool (me) versus Napoli (AI). Early doors, we're 1-0 down. A vicious low shot from Hamsik that the keeper should have saved. I grind and I grind, but it stays like this until the 70th minute.

I'm trying to spam the wings, given the talent I've got there. But I'm getting nowhere - they're getting marked out of the game. So I go through the middle.

At which point, Mané cuts inside.

Love the way the keeper goes for it with one hand, then swings the other hand.

I'm celebrating, it's 1-1, I'll take a point in all honesty.
Then, this. (I think the goal looks really lifelike.)

2-1 down. Annoyed. I switch to all-out attack.
Through-ball. I go for the dink. (Bit weird from the goalkeeper...)

2-2. Final minutes. I'm not switching from attack.
I'm going for it. The Napoli defence switches off. Then.

Absolutely love the side-foot, stroked finish.

Final whistle blows, it's all over. Four goals in 20 minutes.
From 1-0 down to 3-2 winners. I'll take that, thanks.

BONUS VIDEO: This is what I mean by the ball seemingly speeding up on certain deflections - if you smashed the ball off someone, fair enough, it might deflect up like this, but it accelerates into the sky and looks absolutely mental...

This is what it's all about though. These kind of posts is what we SHOULD be having every single day. It's not blind, it's not fanboyism (Chris is the last person I could think of in that aspect), it's just showing off how much fun, and realistic, the game looks.

Bravo, it must be said. A fantastic, solid, base of a football game.

This is what it's all about though. These kind of posts is what we SHOULD be having every single day. It's not blind, it's not fanboyism (Chris is the last person I could think of in that aspect), it's just showing off how much fun, and realistic, the game looks.

Bravo, it must be said. A fantastic, solid, base of a football game.
Cheers, Matt. Perhaps this is the year I should start a channel or something for my Tranmere Career Mode save... Although actually, I'm planning on doing that with my 74-year-old dad, which would mean a lot of swearing and some truly awful gameplay.

Going back to those vids, the only real downer I have is how the keeper dived with such gusto when I did the chip with Firmino. If the goalkeeper's animation was totally different - less of a pounce and more of a "start moving in that direction, realise you've gone the wrong way and just stop", it would have been a really authentic-looking goal, I think. But as it is, it looks a bit crazy.

Still felt great to fool the keeper, though. Even if it wasn't represented very well!

Having the time of my life with it at the minute. "Slow" speed, 64 sprint speed (otherwise it's just not possible to burst away from people), 34 run frequency, and a handful of others I forget = a much better experience than the demo.

I'll try and upload some videos of online play tonight. (I may well hate it. :D)

I scored a great goal yesterday in my Human v Human game with my mate.
He was City and 1-0 up. I couldnt seem to get through so I took off Costa and put on Mandžukić and started put in high balls. Final minute I sling in a cross and Mandžukić gets his head to it around about the penalty spot but it goes straight up in the air. Ederson comes, and pauses for a slight second, then decides he might be able to get it. Wrong! Mandžukić gets his head to it first and it bobbles into an empty net.
Games ends 1-1.

Hi Chris. Don't know if you already wrote about it earlier.

But which settings are you playing on? Personally also playing with friends, so normally I don't want to change my settings too much.

For example.. Manual passing meaning simple passes for me all the time. I simply don't make long passes if it's to hard. So in that regard I'm feeling that the game is getting less varied.

Cheers, Matt. Perhaps this is the year I should start a channel or something for my Tranmere Career Mode save... Although actually, I'm planning on doing that with my 74-year-old dad, which would mean a lot of swearing and some truly awful gameplay.

Going back to those vids, the only real downer I have is how the keeper dived with such gusto when I did the chip with Firmino. If the goalkeeper's animation was totally different - less of a pounce and more of a "start moving in that direction, realise you've gone the wrong way and just stop", it would have been a really authentic-looking goal, I think. But as it is, it looks a bit crazy.

Still felt great to fool the keeper, though. Even if it wasn't represented very well!

Having the time of my life with it at the minute. "Slow" speed, 64 sprint speed (otherwise it's just not possible to burst away from people), 34 run frequency, and a handful of others I forget = a much better experience than the demo.

I'll try and upload some videos of online play tonight. (I may well hate it. :D)

I would watch it, and promote it. However, it must be off-camera, none of these screen recording software crap.

Yeah, the keeper is legacy code from FIFA 17. They used to dive underneath the flight of the ball. This can be solved with increasing GK Ability. I imagine with Pro level there is much more "wiggle" room to adjust this value in favor of the CPU.

You're in-line with the speed increase for the user, I bumped it slightly to 51 for the user and the catch-up was much less evident. Also with the run frequency. It's high as always, so 1-20 values are what I've been working with. Problem with going too low is if you don't pay attention to pass error, the CPU will go into tiki-taka galore.

I've also bumped pass speed up slightly. Can't get over the sluggish ball feel, so 52 is a good spot for me right now. Don't want to go too high (like I did a bit in my stream) because you lose that heavy feel of the ball.

Can't wait to dive into more matches later.

But which settings are you playing on? Personally also playing with friends, so normally I don't want to change my settings too much.
In the post above, I say at the start that I'm playing on Professional with "semi controls". That's semi passing, semi crossing and semi shooting. Through-balls and lobs are on assisted, because there's no "semi" option for these two.

I'm struggling - 78% pass accuracy or so, while my opponent is between 80%-90% in my experience. But it feels pretty great when things come off - particularly the shooting. You see so much variation.

@Chris Davies @Matt10 or anyone else who's playing the full release version, I'd love to hear your thoughts on animations, momentum, footplanting, and realistic physics.

An issue I had in the demo, but I don't remember having in the beta, was that I was seeing too many instances of unrealistic animations that would defy the laws of physics and realistic movement. Didn't happen too often, but it happened enough to ruin immersion for me, plus it seemed to happen in critical moments.

Here's an example from the demo. Aguero scores a great goal but it looked a little odd. In replay it showed that he took a touch with his right foot then shot with his right foot, all in one motion without footplanting first.

Shit like that ruins it for me. It's essentially cheating. I'm rewarded when maybe I shouldn't have been. Are you guys noticing issues like this in the full release?

Hi Chris,

How do you feel about the variety of build up play in the.middle and especially the final third (your teamate ai in other words)?
As much as I've enjoyed fifa on and off since fifa 16, that nagging feeling of going through similar patterns of play no matter how hard I try to improvise and mix it up, has always been there. Although I saw some great variety in shots and crosses in the demo, I still felt like the moves that got me there were familiar.

Not trying up kill your buzz in any way. Simply, having been surprised and disappointed by how pes 2019 has succumbed to a lack of ai routines for both cpu and your own team, it would be great to hear if fifa has managed to expand its own...

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom