• I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
Aft
Slow is too slow, but it means you can appreciate every little touch, every subtle thing your player does to the ball (i.e. "Active Touch") to keep possession and keep moving in the direction you're asking them to.

It is insane. The way you can beat a man with a dribble, sometimes with no need to use the right stick even (i.e. the "trick stick").

Agreed. I play on slow, but bump the acceleration and sprint speed to around 54-55. There are a lot of aspects and improvements over FIFA 18 that I appreciate, but players having more inertia (thereby making LS dribbling more effective) is what takes the cake for me personally. Skilled players do a lot more contextual touches now (a bit like PES) when dribbling. Little chops and touches to readjust their body positioning and what not. I find myself pausing the match and hitting replay quite often. Vast improvement over its predecessor in that regard.

I've been playing on full manual with Dynamic camera (all the way zoomed out) and Legendary difficulty. Adjusted the CPU first touch, pass, and shot error a tad as well. Now, you sacrifice a lot of vision when you play with such a camera, but it makes it so much more engaging at that range. There's more of a tangible feeling when you slip past a defender or go in for a challenge. You should try that camera if only for a match or two

I'm going to be close to my local GAME store next Tuesday afternoon. I'll be keeping tabs on what the day one patch does. Might have to pay a visit.

Edit ...or maybe not...just seen it releases on Friday. thought it was Tues. balls.

Last edited:
I've been playing on full manual with Dynamic camera (all the way zoomed out) and Legendary difficulty. Adjusted the CPU first touch, pass, and shot error a tad as well. Now, you sacrifice a lot of vision when you play with such a camera, but it makes it so much more engaging at that range. There's more of a tangible feeling when you slip past a defender or go in for a challenge. You should try that camera if only for a match or two

My favourite camera, and a good speed test for the game, as when a fifa game is too fast it's very tiring to use. I think the demo is a bit too fast for me to play on this cam.

The best thing is actually what many would see as a bad thing, not seeing more of the pitch, as it forces you to play a more realistic passing game and dribbling is more fun as you can see what's going on. I do wish the zoom options offered more variety though. If I could zoom out a bit more, just by 10%-15% it would be perfect.

Last edited:
Please man.. don't do this to me.. if even you will end up like this, I'll HAVE to get it :LOL:!

:LOL: Yeh i was really holding off. So proud having not bought PES from day one for the first time in years. I was going to hold off of FIFA too but some of the comments are very positive and it has tipped me over the edge. Damn these one-click purchases on Amazon :P

Don’t worry i will not abandon Retro PES. I have put too much time and effort into editing to not do a ML. :)

Sorry for the slight :OT:
So FIFA FIFA FIFA! There you go back on track now :PP

After playing the full Xbox release this evening (well, the 10 hour EA Access trial), I'm so close to just burning up the 10 hours in a couple of days.

I said a little while ago that I hadn't had a "wow" moment in football gaming this generation - that the last one I had was probably FIFA 07 or 08, where the "arena" was first introduced, and for the first time in football gaming history as far as I was concerned, you could feel how free the ball was (and the physics were incredible for the time). For the first time I felt I could "feel" the kick of the ball and compare it to real-life.

Tonight, playing as Liverpool against a friend who was playing as PSG, on slow (which is too slow - but can be rectified with sliders, which will increase fatigue too, which is a happy situation)... I had my first PS4/XB1 generation "wow" moment.

Slow is too slow, but it means you can appreciate every little touch, every subtle thing your player does to the ball (i.e. "Active Touch") to keep possession and keep moving in the direction you're asking them to.

It is insane. The way you can beat a man with a dribble, sometimes with no need to use the right stick even (i.e. the "trick stick").

Now, we played against the AI, on semi-assisted settings, on Professional, and got pumped 4-3 as Man City versus Bournemouth, who played such perfect football that, honestly, I'm worried about the AI. (This coming from a guy who found Legendary a bit easy on the demo.)

But I haven't had chance to play solo against the AI yet - perhaps it was a one-off.

Seriously, though. I thought PES was great on the ball this year. This game... Jesus Christ. It's incredible.

(Ball physics are weird, though, I must admit. Depending on the situation. Lots of strange deflections that speed up the ball when they should be taking speed OFF the ball.)

You just captured one of my biggest issues with the demo: there's loads of wonderful touches and the left stick dribbling was the most effective of either game that I've experienced, but the animation speed was too fast to really enjoy and appreciate all the touches and animations.

Sounds like - maybe? - this is better in the full release version. If so, I could understand all the praise the game is getting.

Yeah I agree. The animations doesn't feel jointed and fluid. It feels like it skips some frames or something. Really annoying knowing how fluid the PES dribbling animation is.

Oh guys. I am absolutely loving this. I'm not the type to gush, but wow.

Look at this human mistake from the AI - it looks so natural. The variety in goals and in the AI (lots of mistakes by poor teams) is fantastic.

Followed up by this lovely little cross and a diving header. Watch the keeper hit the ball with the back of his hand.

Finally, this crazy little moment in the box, with deflections, a good save, and then a great save. All so natural.

Knowing FIFA, this won't last and something will spoil it. But right now... I'm absolutely loving this.

Look at this human mistake from the AI - it looks so natural. The variety in goals and in the AI (lots of mistakes by poor teams) is fantastic.

Followed up by this lovely little cross and a diving header. Watch the keeper hit the ball with the back of his hand.

Finally, this crazy little moment in the box, with deflections, a good save, and then a great save. All so natural.

Knowing FIFA, this won't last and something will spoil it. But right now... I'm absolutely loving this.

Awesome Chris, great to hear you're enjoying it. (Though all I see with that first goal is the weird pausing of the CPU fullback leaving Mane the easy chance lol.)

So if I remember right, you weren't enjoying the demo. How is this different for you?

As someone who didn't really enjoy the demo (but liked the beta), your experience is super encouraging.

So if I remember right, you weren't enjoying the demo. How is this different for you?

As someone who didn't really enjoy the demo (but liked the beta), your experience is super encouraging.
Firstly, putting the game on "slow" just makes the game shine (and whacking sprint speed up to 60 so that catch-up is eliminated). Certain things in "normal" speed look sped-up and unexplainable, but in "slow" you realise exactly why the ball is reacting a certain way, and it makes sense.

Secondly, I've watched a lot of Champions League football over the last few days, and some of what I've seen is so well replicated in FIFA. Particularly with the less-great sides... Goalmouth scrambles where every player is trying to get to the ball - it's just so completely unformularic. But the long range goals, too. It's uncanny.

It's made me realise how PES is just, get the ball, run, pass the ball, run, pass the ball, shoot. Whereas FIFA is, beat a man, have three decent passing options, hold a man off, hit a pass that deflects, try and get to the loose ball, hit a scuffed shot, look at the clock, change the tactics for the last 20 minutes and stop pressing to keep energy for those last few runs (I keep burning out Salah). It's complete.

The game feels more refined from the demo, yet not massively different. I think the biggest difference is just switching to "slow" - and also, on semi controls, Professional isn't too easy for me at the minute.

On World Class and Legendary you get the silly tiki-taka, once a game in my experience. Even at League Two level (when I play as Tranmere). That will get to be too much to cope with, I'm sure. But it's seemingly not as prevalent as the demo at the minute, for me.

My only other complaints are the overpowered headers and the ball physics in certain situations (when a shot or clearance deflects off someone, it seems to increase the speed quite a bit, and it's weird - and the ball does seem to refuse to go out of play on long passes). But they are so massively outweighed by the overall gameplay, in my opinion. (So far.)

Yeah I agree. The animations doesn't feel jointed and fluid. It feels like it skips some frames or something. Really annoying knowing how fluid the PES dribbling animation is.

you can see this roboticness in post #1509 above. yet chris seems to looks past this and is focussed on enjoying whats happening in the game. this is a good sign for me.

There is something about the demo that allowed me to put aside the robotic animations that I hadn't been able to do with past Fifa demos. Like you play the game and you are treated with some decent cut scenes/atmosphere which make up for any minor flaws you come across in pitch animations.

its the same with PES 2013 and sensi soccer - the graphics weren't great but the gameplay was good so it is remembered fondly.

F19 could be the best footy game to date?

i know ps4 doesnt have EA access - is that why its so expensive on PS4? if F19 is the business then I'd be prepared to go for PS4 version just cos the controller feels better to me for footy games.

Yeah it's not a game breaking issue for me like the AI was for PES 2019. Honestly after playing the demo a bit, that and CPU passing accuracy are the only issues I have personally felt. Watching @Chris Davies videos, it does seem like passing stats are now accounted for CPU which will make the lower league teams sloppier and scrappier which I personally enjoy. I am more hopeful for FIFA 19 than PES 2019 and will make a career mode patch and maybe gameplay patch to maybe fix the dribbling animation and slower things down. Would also like to tone down the build up speed from CPU and introduce more long passes. I know @paulv2k4 have been working on FIFA gameplay patches since 2011 for PC and I have always enjoyed it. With gameplay already better than FIFA 19, it would be pretty good this year.

After playing the full Xbox release this evening (well, the 10 hour EA Access trial), I'm so close to just burning up the 10 hours in a couple of days.

I said a little while ago that I hadn't had a "wow" moment in football gaming this generation - that the last one I had was probably FIFA 07 or 08, where the "arena" was first introduced, and for the first time in football gaming history as far as I was concerned, you could feel how free the ball was (and the physics were incredible for the time). For the first time I felt I could "feel" the kick of the ball and compare it to real-life.

Tonight, playing as Liverpool against a friend who was playing as PSG, on slow (which is too slow - but can be rectified with sliders, which will increase fatigue too, which is a happy situation)... I had my first PS4/XB1 generation "wow" moment.

Now, we played against the AI, on semi-assisted settings, on Professional, and got pumped 4-3 as Man City versus Bournemouth, who played such perfect football that, honestly, I'm worried about the AI. (This coming from a guy who found Legendary a bit easy on the demo.)

But I haven't had chance to play solo against the AI yet - perhaps it was a one-off.

Seriously, though. I thought PES was great on the ball this year. This game... Jesus Christ. It's incredible.

(Ball physics are weird, though, I must admit. Depending on the situation. Lots of strange deflections that speed up the ball when they should be taking speed OFF the ball.)
so your saying that they made slow setting actually noticeable finally.

Excellent i am so pleased you like it Chris. Now i cannot wait until next Friday. Regarding the potential updates that may ruin it. Is it possible for me to prevent that? I am on PS4. If I just turn off the wifi connection or leave the fuse out :P

I really don’t want updates to ruin it.

I don't really like fifa this year but if I did is wait until Xmas as you know it's going to get patches to obvilllion like last year .

The commentary acknowledging the keeper getting a hand to Mané's header is great; makes it sound so natural.

Excellent i am so pleased you like it Chris. Now i cannot wait until next Friday. Regarding the potential updates that may ruin it. Is it possible for me to prevent that? I am on PS4. If I just turn off the wifi connection or leave the fuse out :P

I really don’t want updates to ruin it.

I'm considering just shutting of the WiFi myself. Patches ruined the game last year. Should do the trick!

I'm considering just shutting of the WiFi myself. Patches ruined the game last year. Should do the trick!

Yeh i very rarely play online so that won’t affect me but my only concern is the transfer update in Feb.

Hopefully they won’t ruin it though. It seems they have changed the way stats work to be more effective regarding smaller teams so why would they undo that work they have done? That would be crazy surely?

Couldn't agree more. It's a very good game, more so when you slow it down a little and play with sliders. The guys who play on Professional on manual-everything will get a hell of a lot out of this game, if it's not too easy eventually.

My only concern is that those "moments" of tiki-taka are still there, even with League Two teams, when you play on World Class difficulty or above. I will keep fighting for EA to acknowledge that on Twitter - I'm getting nowhere so far - but I have to admit that I can overlook it when everything else is so good. (For the time-being, anyway.)

It still feels like FIFA - and that's not to everyone's taste. But I do often think that a lot of PES fans want a PES game, and not a football game that does things differently. Those guys will never be happy with anything else.

But. Time will tell if FIFA lasts. Not looking forward to the day one patch (which will be needed to fix a few silly bugs, like the tactics resetting from one half to the next)... I've got a horrible feeling about it.
Its not true at all becuasue its depend of football matches. When you look for example Premier League matches you will see a lot football like fast passing, running and fighting to the ball. Pass, pass trough, pass and shoot. For example in Pes all depend on you, how you play. If want play slow with deep tatcics you can, if you want play fast you can,If you want play skill you can too. Its depend with who you play and how you play. In my opinion Pes looks like modern football and you have to make devision fast. Like a football players in real life. Its not football like 80’s. World Cup 2018 showed modern football. It was fast passing,pressing and fighting.

Its not true at all becuasue its depend of football matches. When you look for example Premier League matches you will see a lot football like fast passing, running and fighting to the ball. Pass, pass trough, pass and shoot. For example in Pes all depend on you, how you play. If want play slow with deep tatcics you can, if you want play fast you can,If you want play skill you can too. Its depend with who you play and how you play. In my opinion Pes looks like modern football and you have to make devision fast. Like a football players in real life. Its not football like 80’s. World Cup 2018 showed modern football. It was fast passing,pressing and fighting.
PES looks nothing like modern football though....teams don’t get to the wing and low cross everytime I watch a Premier League match.

Thanks Chris

I see you mention fonts in a previous post can’t find it

I suppose you can’t tell if Sky Bet team font changes for Prem League without testing?

Reason I ask is because you said font is same in premier league and champions league

My favourite camera, and a good speed test for the game, as when a fifa game is too fast it's very tiring to use. I think the demo is a bit too fast for me to play on this cam.

The best thing is actually what many would see as a bad thing, not seeing more of the pitch, as it forces you to play a more realistic passing game and dribbling is more fun as you can see what's going on. I do wish the zoom options offered more variety though. If I could zoom out a bit more, just by 10%-15% it would be perfect.

Dynamic camera all the way! It gives so much detail! Really loving that camera since FIFA 08.

Back
Top Bottom