Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
Shit like that ruins it for me. It's essentially cheating. I'm rewarded when maybe I shouldn't have been. Are you guys noticing issues like this in the full release?
The only thing that stands out for me that's similar, is the first goal I conceded in that Napoli game (which I didn't manage to record). Hamsik hit a low shot and my keeper could easily have stuck a hand out to save it - but he just watched it go in. I could make an excuse and say it was hit really hard - but it was inches away from him.

Also, the chip goal I scored, where the keeper seemingly dives out of the way of my shot - I know from the situation and from the "feel" that the game is trying to represent the keeper having to choose a direction and getting it totally wrong. I absolutely love that. I think that's pretty amazing, rather than the keeper just diving the right way. But the animation makes it look like he's taken a bung, sadly.

I've also seen final-third tiki-taka from a League Two team, on Legendary, a few times now. But it's been a couple of seconds and then it's stopped.

I think you might have issues because you play on the highest difficulties - I did too in FIFA 18 but I'm struggling on Legendary in 19, on semi settings (which I'm only using so I can play on Professional, to try and get the best balance out of the AI).

As soon as you're on World Class or Legendary, the passing gets a bit fast and a bit perfect. When you select "slow" speed it doesn't look horrendous, but it's still pretty obvious that it's too perfect.

so this is available now on ea early access?
It is.

Hi Chris,

How do you feel about the variety of build up play in the.middle and especially the final third (your teamate ai in other words)?
I think this is a difficult one to answer - if you look at the videos I've uploaded, are you seeing the same things?

What I found in that last game (against Napoli), is that I was trying to spam the ball to the wingers and then just run away, but I couldn't. The wingers were marked too tightly (I don't think the AI was specifically marking them, but their formation positioned their wing-backs perfectly to block any passes to them).

I realised later on (as I score the goals) that I had to build through the middle, wait for the wingers to beat their markers and run inside, and then pass the ball to them. Otherwise I was wasting my time.

So in my eyes, my teammates are doing things I've not seen them do before - or more accurately, that they've not HAD to do before, and if I try and spam the way I used to, I don't have any luck.

All of that is with semi passing though, and I'm pretty terrible, so. I'd say, in all honesty, take a look at the videos and see what you think.

Last edited:
The only thing that stands out for me that's similar, is the first goal I conceded in that Napoli game (which I didn't manage to record). Hamsik hit a low shot and my keeper could easily have stuck a hand out to save it - but he just watched it go in. I could make an excuse and say it was hit really hard - but it was inches away from him.

Also, the chip goal I scored, where the keeper seemingly dives out of the way of my shot - I know from the situation and from the "feel" that the game is trying to represent the keeper having to choose a direction and getting it totally wrong. I absolutely love that. I think that's pretty amazing, rather than the keeper just diving the right way. But the animation makes it look like he's taken a bung, sadly.

I've also seen final-third tiki-taka from a League Two team, on Legendary, a few times now. But it's been a couple of seconds and then it's stopped.

I think you might have issues because you play on the highest difficulties - I did too in FIFA 18 but I'm struggling on Legendary in 19, on semi settings (which I'm only using so I can play on Professional, to try and get the best balance out of the AI).

As soon as you're on World Class or Legendary, the passing gets a bit fast and a bit perfect. When you select "slow" speed it doesn't look horrendous, but it's still pretty obvious that it's too perfect.

It is.

I think this is a difficult one to answer - if you look at the videos I've uploaded, are you seeing the same things?

What I found in that last game (against Napoli), is that I was trying to spam the ball to the wingers and then just run away, but I couldn't. The wingers were marked too tightly (I don't think the AI was specifically marking them, but their formation positioned their wing-backs perfectly to block any passes to them).

I realised later on (as I score the goals) that I had to build through the middle, wait for the wingers to beat their markers and run inside, and then pass the ball to them. Otherwise I was wasting my time.

So in my eyes, my teammates are doing things I've not seen them do before - or more accurately, that they've not HAD to do before, and if I try and spam the way I used to, I don't have any luck.

All of that is with semi passing though, and I'm pretty terrible, so. I'd say, in all honesty, take a look at the videos and see what you think.

Yes, I see your point, thanks for description, much apprecaited. Tbh, I find it hard to decide from the videos because often the feeling of variety isn't there in videos, but may be in play.
Although...I noticed in that Liverpool one (they're in purple) that after you swept the ball out wide to salah, the Liverpool players were bunched in close proximity in a really organic way, much as teams contract and expand in attack, that looked new for sure.

But that's great that the old ways arent working.
I've always had a suspicion that if I was a little more patient with fifa, that more options and more interesting runs from my team mates would reveal themselves. I'll definitely give it a go and try the wait and see approach.

EA deserve a good amount of credit for investing in the ai as they have, in the face of market demands. I hold out hope that they have an AI rabbit in the hat for the ps5 that will truly blow us all away, a bit like that arena moment in fifa 08 with ronaldinho which I too experienced at the time!
I wonder where we'd be if the fifa 08 principles had been enshrined in law at ea and all subsequent games built with that philosophy...

Are you guys testing the game against small teams? How do they play? Is the CPU capable with them, or in general, to park the bus efficiently?

EA deserve a good amount of credit for investing in the ai as they have, in the face of market demands. I hold out hope that they have an AI rabbit in the hat for the ps5 that will truly blow us all away, a bit like that arena moment in fifa 08 with ronaldinho which I too experienced at the time!
As I say, that "wow" I felt then, I felt again for the first time since when I started my first Early Access FIFA 19 game with a friend on the slow setting (default sliders), and watching how the likes of Salah would control the ball, giving it little touches to maneuver around an opponent exactly as I wanted.

I think what probably helped is that I was playing against a friend, so we were slowing the game down a bit and looking at this stuff, as opposed to playing the AI on a high difficulty level and trying too hard (pressure spamming and trying to force passes). But it was truly a "holy shit" moment.

Which I really wasn't expecting after playing the demo.

I wonder where we'd be if the fifa 08 principles had been enshrined in law at ea and all subsequent games built with that philosophy...
Yeah, I'm still not entirely comfortable with the guys currently steering the ship. David Rutter (producer) and Gary Paterson (gameplay producer) did an amazing job at putting FIFA on the simulation path - I'd like to know what happened to them. Apparently Rutter is one of the higher-ups now - but I don't feel we're getting the benefit of that.

(From what I can remember, he was a Career Mode supporter too.)

Are you guys testing the game against small teams? How do they play? Is the CPU capable with them, or in general, to park the bus efficiently?
See below...

I think it all depends on difficulty level. On Professional, I think the difference is pretty huge. On World Class and above, passing accuracy starts to increase and it's not great (but sliders will help).

They certainly make more mistakes, though. Bad crosses, bad backpasses that give you a 1-on-1 with the keeper. It's better than it's ever been in terms of team individuality.

The most recent example I can give you is playing a J-League team this morning. Sagan Tosu. League Two-level team, but they had Torres up-front. Passing accuracy (on World Class) was pretty high - 89% - and I was disappointed. I wouldn't say they were doing tiki-taka by any means, but they weren't hitting poor passes. Or amazing passes - just a lot of sensible, good passes.

But when it came to shooting... They were terrible. Couldn't hit the target. Until it was Torres shooting. Then, you were in grave danger. (He ended up scoring a half-volley to tie the game.)

Custom tactics clearly work when setting them for CPU teams, yes. They still make short passes when they're on, but hit long passes when someone makes a run (when you set them to play "long ball").

But again, the higher difficulties force the AI to play with higher accuracy, which overrides the tactics a little bit, which can result in the game looking a bit silly at times (with a sprinkling of tiki-taka in the final third). But, again, it's a lot better than it was.

As I say, that "wow" I felt then, I felt again for the first time since when I started my first Early Access FIFA 19 game with a friend on the slow setting (default sliders), and watching how the likes of Salah would control the ball, giving it little touches to maneuver around an opponent exactly as I wanted.

I think what probably helped is that I was playing against a friend, so we were slowing the game down a bit and looking at this stuff, as opposed to playing the AI on a high difficulty level and trying too hard (pressure spamming and trying to force passes). But it was truly a "holy shit" moment.

Which I really wasn't expecting after playing the demo.

Yeah, I'm still not entirely comfortable with the guys currently steering the ship. David Rutter (producer) and Gary Paterson (gameplay producer) did an amazing job at putting FIFA on the simulation path - I'd like to know what happened to them. Apparently Rutter is one of the higher-ups now - but I don't feel we're getting the benefit of that.

(From what I can remember, he was a Career Mode supporter too.)

See below...

Great. I hope it will stay consistent through the patches.

How do you feel in terms of teams going all out defence?

Going back to those vids, the only real downer I have is how the keeper dived with such gusto when I did the chip with Firmino. If the goalkeeper's animation was totally different - less of a pounce and more of a "start moving in that direction, realise you've gone the wrong way and just stop", it would have been a really authentic-looking goal, I think. But as it is, it looks a bit crazy.

I'm just happy to see you can score a goal like that. I haven't played much FIFA in previous years but wasn't it before like almost impossible to dink the keeper? That kind of humanism is what I always missed from PES. The Firmino dribbling in the build up looked surprisingly sharp as well.

My worry with FIFA is that there are too many buttons to master, my aging brain could barely handle it in previous years and now they've added all kinds of new combos and fake shots, it feels like playing street fighter.

How do you feel in terms of teams going all out defence?
In that Napoli game, once they'd scored, they put four defenders and two CMs all the way back, basically forming a six-man defence.

I think that's pretty good considering they were away and they needed the points - but, what I have to say was weird, was that when I was in defence they seemed deeper, and the midfield started moving out (towards me) as I started moving towards them, rather than retreating.

I only noticed it a couple of times - but it seemed weird to me to go deep when I was deep, and come forward (to press) when I came forward. They just seemed determined to press the middle three.

But then, their defending worked perfectly. As I've said, I couldn't get the ball to the wingers, without moving forward enough through the centre of midfield for them to have time to run away from their marker and inside, into space.

My worry with FIFA is that there are too many buttons to master, my aging brain could barely handle it in previous years and now they've added all kinds of new combos and fake shots, it feels like playing street fighter.
A fake shot is really powerful now, and it's just the shoot button followed by the pass button - the same as PES.

There are a ton of tricks - and if you play online, I dare say you need to learn a few of them in order to stand a chance. But offline, I'm dribbling with simple left-stick adjustments, and some simple "hold right stick in the direction you want to shift the ball away to" stuff. That's it.

@Chris Davies @Matt10 or anyone else who's playing the full release version, I'd love to hear your thoughts on animations, momentum, footplanting, and realistic physics.

An issue I had in the demo, but I don't remember having in the beta, was that I was seeing too many instances of unrealistic animations that would defy the laws of physics and realistic movement. Didn't happen too often, but it happened enough to ruin immersion for me, plus it seemed to happen in critical moments.

Here's an example from the demo. Aguero scores a great goal but it looked a little odd. In replay it showed that he took a touch with his right foot then shot with his right foot, all in one motion without footplanting first.

Shit like that ruins it for me. It's essentially cheating. I'm rewarded when maybe I shouldn't have been. Are you guys noticing issues like this in the full release?

I'm a stickler for these animations too. In 18, it happened all the time, the legs would bisect eachother to "cheat" the animation to result in an outcome. In 19, I'm not seeing these as much.

Here was a fantastic goal that I conceded against the CPU. I loved so much about this, but especially a side footed, slotted finish. The jump after and celebration, with the crowd ecstatic, amazing. In-game the camera is shaking like crazy as well.

so this is available now on ea early access? Also @Matt10 any sliders yet my man! I tend to buy both games and play both, and usually give up on both at some point, but do enjoy both, :)

Working on them. Feeling good. Bout to stream shortly. Will update here when I can.

Nah, they want everyone to be able to play it, there's even an option to play using 2 buttons, one for all passes one for shooting. You'd be fine without using ANY obscure button combination. It's mostly there for their competitive online I reckon. I've been playing on the highest difficulties and for shooting all I use is the shoot button alone, and then there's the familiar chip shot and the finesse modifier which goes for accuracy and not power. Apart from that you don't need any of the fancier stuff to play against the AI.

This grew on me very quickly. The gameplay will never be as fun as the other game for me, but there's a lot more to this that makes it the better game to invest time in.

The tactics actually work, and add so much more to a career mode that is otherwise disappointingly untouched. They save the day to some extent.

And to see the AI run at defenders and even throwing in stepovers is a breath of fresh air.

Is anyone seeing a lot of bicycle/scissor kicks at random spots? The game I played had it occur for the forwards, but also RB, CBs. A bit strange.
The Eurogamer review brought this up, which makes me hope they'll realise how crazy it is.

I see at least one per game!

Two more quick clips from tonight - plus two quick Ultimate Team clips.

First one, I decided to try and do a better chip than the Firmino one from earlier:

Second one (the score has reset because the game felt ridiculously fast and I quit to try a few things to slow it down) - PSG with a nice little move leading to a headed goal:

And here's the Ultimate Team crap...

Two more quick clips from tonight - plus two quick Ultimate Team clips.

First one, I decided to try and do a better chip than the Firmino one from earlier:

Second one (the score has reset because the game felt ridiculously fast and I quit to try a few things to slow it down) - PSG with a nice little move leading to a headed goal:

And here's the Ultimate Team crap...

Sooo.... why are those last two videos crap?

No reset, as far as I know. You're playing a full release - it will be patched, but nothing will be reset, as far as I know (I'm sure it wasn't last year).

In Ultimate Team there aren't any filters, as far as I'm aware. It's nowhere near as bad as myClub but still bad (you'll sometimes come up against 11 superstars in FUT - you'll ALWAYS come up against 11 superstars in myClub). Everyone plays on the default settings, which means fully-assisted everything.

However, in Online Seasons (where you pick a real team and play with them, going up and down the divisions - no transfers or anything like that), you can filter matches, based on control method (so you only play manual players), and/or team rating.

so what i'm thinking is this - I don't have FIFA on PS4 - if I get 19 it'll be on PS4 BUT it has to be a game i'll play regularly , online and offline at a casual pace. (no grinding thank you very much...been there done that)

now this is what holds me back because PES 18 still has the upper hand here :
the beauty of MyClub is you can play offline with your team to develop them and then take them online. every game has a reward element be it team spirit or player level.

from what i remember of FUT 15, there is no player development nor and team chemistry progression [still the same in F19?]. from what chris says it also sounds like i won't be able to take my FUT team online for a FULL MANUAL match up. [this isn't confirmed so i will be watching for more info here]

its so close to a day 1 purchase but in my eyes - for the way i want to play my footy games - PES 18 still trumps this.

I have pre ordered Fifa and i also have played it on the PC early access,i am an online only player but the game just feels shit online.It seems to be faster than the beta was in FUT with the ball bouncing around between players like pinball.I think they need to rework it and come with something new now.Problem is,is they won't tamper with something that they are milking loads of money from

PES animations are far superior and the gameplay is also,its just everything else in PES is shit.I only get Fifa because i love FUT(not in a spending money way).MyClub is just rank.Its a free to play mode and Konami treat it that way with the grind.At least with FUT you can make some coins quickly by playing.MyClub is basically a mobile phone free to play game with the grind.I hate to say it but i feel Konami are greedier that way than EA are!

Shooting is broken in Fifa 19,players seem to do side of the foot shots a lot instead of blasting it,its a step down from Fifa 18 in the shooting department imo,i thought Fifa 18 shooting was great.Its like EA change stuff for the sake of changing things to justify another year of it.

When all this lootbox rubbish stops which is hopefully soon then maybe we can see some real innovation for our football games,its stagnant atm

Last edited:
@Chris Davies just seen you closed the demo impression thread. you probs already know but just in case - there is no early access (or EA access) available on PS4 so might've been worth keeping the thread open - maybe even til the demo goes offline?

but you know what works best for the forum. just a suggestion.

I have pre ordered Fifa and i also have played it on the PC early access,i am an online only player but the game just feels shit online.It seems to be faster than the beta was in FUT with the ball bouncing around between players like pinball.I think they need to rework it and come with something new now.Problem is,is they won't tamper with something that they are milking loads of money from

PES animations are far superior and the gameplay is also,its just everything else in PES is shit.I only get Fifa because i love FUT(not in a spending money way).MyClub is just rank.Its a free to play mode and Konami treat it that way with the grind.At least with FUT you can make some coins quickly by playing.MyClub is basically a mobile phone free to play game with the grind.I hate to say it but i feel Konami are greedier that way than EA are!

Shooting is broken in Fifa 19,players seem to do side of the foot shots a lot instead of blasting it,its a step down from Fifa 18 in the shooting department imo,i thought Fifa 18 shooting was great.Its like EA change stuff for the sake of changing things to justify another year of it.

When all this lootbox rubbish stops which is hopefully soon then maybe we can see some real innovation for our football games,its stagnant atm

you preordered and then you expect real innovation?

o-kay

Back
Top Bottom