eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Well , i recived game few hours ago and i still on 1.00 and must to admit that i am worried about AI and way they play. What i mean ?

-they leave too much space on pitch. I rly feel free when i play against top AI teams, no pressure at all.
-Another issue is that they can only create very few goal oportunity when it comes to AI top teams .

I will test more today and i will see.....

Download the update. AI is far better on that. It's night and day difference.

I've said this many times. Judge the game yourself.

Again, this is a very good game of PES. I'm just getting fed up with seeing the same issues yet again with a PES game. The atmosphere, the bugs, the serious lack of crowd chants, the awful AI in Master League...it's not good enough.

BUT this is MY opinion, you need to play it for yourself.

The awful AI in Master League. Explain?

Started an EPL with Leicester. First game at home vs Liverpool 0-3. 20mins, Superstar. Liverpool had in total 14 shots. All stats were great. 5 fouls each. I feel that when we all get familiar with the dribbling the amount of fouls will be even higher. Managed to get 3 fouls with Gray by just pushing in R3.
I love the cpu AI attacking variation. Liverpool where so unpredictable with Salah giving trouble all the time.
Only minor complaint so far is that sometimes cpu players fail to get in position for the loose ball but it's not that bad and I guess it's an easy fix for the devs.
Again the cpu AI imo is one of the best I've seen in a football videogame.
My ps4 digital version is 1.01.01. This is the same for everyone. Devs released the patch notes for this version some days ago and these notes are spot on like the accuracy of fouls.

The awful AI in Master League. Explain?
As in, the script kicking in on Master League games but not exhibition games. Really annoys me. Some of the stuff that happens feels pre-determined, like I'm supposed to lose the match no matter what tactics I try, how i play etc.

This post on Reddit sums up the AI in PES 2020 Master League better than I can:

I want to start out by saying the gameplay in exhibition is on par with the demo exhibition gameplay. If you only play that mode you will get a similar experience to the demo which is enjoyable.

Master League and I'm guessing the same will be in my club is where things start to get sketchy. Playing as PSG vs Monaco I notice straight away a lot of catch up bugs from the AI and delayed shooting /final passes in the final 3rd. I managed to get Mbappe clean through only for Jemerson with 77 acc 78 speed to ghost and tackle my Mbappe. I was hugely disappointed especially after Bhatti saying the AI had been changed this year and hinted at stat boosting being removed.

I continued to play another 6 games still on superstar and while the AI are not as bad on the ball in terms of predictability you can tell they are being stat boosted and on several occasions my defender would be unresponsive or just run straight past the ball helping the AI to get a chance. The worst part is when getting into the final 3rd players passes have this slight delay giving the AI a chance to tackle and when shooting there is also a delay in some circumstances. What really tipped me over the edge was playing vs Kobenhavn and them matching all my players speed via the flanks and knocking it around like barca

Konami have really dropped the ball again with the AI it is just not the same as exhibition AI and just feels cheap. Possibly an algorithm that is used in my club to keep you wanting better players but the gameplay is 100% not consistent again this year while in ML.

If some of you are on the fence and found the last few years ML frustrating to play due to the scripting /momentum thing then I'd highly recommend you skip because unfortunately it's the same old rubbish in the ML department (gameplay wise)

I hoped things would be different after Adam Bhatti said during the e3 showcase that the stats issue had been fixed but unfortunately he's a big problem with the game.

This part:

Konami have really dropped the ball again with the AI it is just not the same as exhibition AI and just feels cheap. Possibly an algorithm that is used in my club to keep you wanting better players but the gameplay is 100% not consistent again this year while in ML.

Sums it up and it's why I can't see me playing ML for long. It's so frustrating because my issue with the other game is that it's way too easy in Career. Then it's the polar opposite in PES. I want a challnge, I don't expect to win every game. I'm happy IF I know I'm playing bad or that I'm using a bad team and have to give it time. But I'm using Spurs who have some very good players and when I face opponents like Crystal Palace their defenders turn into prime Baresi and Maldini. It's just not realistic, it's BS.

Last edited:
As in, the script kicking in on Master League games but not exhibition games. Really annoys me. Some of the stuff that happens feels pre-determined, like I'm supposed to lose the match no matter what tactics I try, how i play etc.

This post on Reddit sums up the AI in PES 2020 Master League better than I can:
It comes across as a cheap ass way to cover up poor AI. What happened to the Adaptive AI that Konami had? What was it called again Team Vision 2.0 ?

Great example of breaking the line and creating space in the 6 yard box..

Likarku creates it all and it’s only a bad soft header at the end.

Updated version pa0..Superstar.

Your video illustrates very well a problem I have with the game an it was already in the demo and the two past years editions. It was introduced by the end of 17 lifecycle.

Ok, lukaku run creates space for its teammates. Fair enough. But why the defender is running backward, following him, letting him 2 metres free of space, and only moves up when he reaches the penalty spot? I think even in a Sunday league the defender would have tried to play lukaku off side at some point. Here the defender only cares about lukaku but has no awareness of its teammates positioning and of the ball/ball carrier positioning.

This really put me off the experience.

Last edited:
Started an EPL with Leicester. First game at home vs Liverpool 0-3. 20mins, Superstar. Liverpool had in total 14 shots. All stats were great. 5 fouls each. I feel that when we all get familiar with the dribbling the amount of fouls will be even higher. Managed to get 3 fouls with Gray by just pushing in R3.
I love the cpu AI attacking variation. Liverpool where so unpredictable with Salah giving trouble all the time.
Only minor complaint so far is that sometimes cpu players fail to get in position for the loose ball but it's not that bad and I guess it's an easy fix for the devs.
Again the cpu AI imo is one of the best I've seen in a football videogame.
My ps4 digital version is 1.01.01. This is the same for everyone. Devs released the patch notes for this version some days ago and these notes are spot on like the accuracy of fouls.
what does R3 do? does it flick the ball?

Can admins make separate MyClub section? Would make things alot easier around here.
For using this forsaken word on our sacred grounds:
- You shall be stoned to death and your remains shall be spread around across all high mountains of the world for vultures to feast on them and mountain goats to poop on them..

Nah, im messing. :LOL: :LOL:
I agree that we should have offline and online threads. It was mentioned good few times now.

Just to say on PS4 you can assign any stadium to any team regardless of region by changing a single byte hex wise in the .ted files then importing them I did this on pes 2017/18/19 so you can assign a brazilian stadium to Barnsley for example

posted for pes 2017 a while back

This isn't possible with the current editor for PES 2020 right? when I click on stadium nothing is loaded

they dumbed down the game once again. the brilliant physicality from the demo is gone...

we are back at zero fouls again, you can just rush into your opponents like before.

giphy.gif

I gave up on PES2019 master league becuase of the blatent scripting, it happened right from the start of the ML career in PES2019. I started a PES2020 career (after patch version) with Inter Milan, 8 games in I have not experienced any blatently obvious scripting, the games I have lost have been because I made genuine mistakes and not because my defenders behaved suddenly started behaving weirdly or the opposition went into god mode.

Fouls - maybe it is the way that I am playing, while it is not a huge amount of fouls I do get 3 or 4 AI fouls per game (12 minute matches) and I give away a good few as well.

This isn't possible with the current editor for PES 2020 right? when I click on stadium nothing is loaded

Its nothing to do with the in game editor except for assigning your stadium edits then exporting the .ted file and then putting it on your PC Using tool decrypting it, hex editing simply 2 bytes, encrypting it then importing it back sounds complicated but it's a piece of cake to do

Tackling definitely is disappointing that’s for sure, it’s back to cater for a two year old pressing the x button, they nearly had it in the demo

Just started the game again and there's a pop-up with patch notes for data pack 1.01/Patch 1.01.01:

Updates and addition:
-Updated face models
-Updated strips
-Additional boot models
-Additional ball designs

Gameplay adjustments:
-Fixed an issue that occasionally caused player stamina to drain quicker than intended when using Teammate Controls or the Dynamic One-Two pass in Online matches.
-Fixed an issue that occasionally caused both sticks to become unresponsive when using Skill Controls at the same time as Finesse Dribble
-Adjust the foul system to increase its accuracy
-Improved the responsiveness of Finesse Dribble controls when trapping the ball
-Adjusted the interaction between player and ball when executing a Kick Feint while trapping

After that there is also a full description of everything that is being released this week. No further data pack beyond the one that has already been out, only the live update for transfers on thursday.

I was playing the demo on PA0 professional difficulty (like you do if I remember right) at 11:30 last night,then started my full version at 12,I can't see or feel much difference at all.
Obviously it plays a bit differen on 20 min than 5,I like the CPU a lot more on full game and 20 min than a passive 5 min CPU.
You shouldn't be alarmed (unless live update or a patch fucks it up)

CPU is very varied in dribbling/shooting/passing
Then again how it plays on TP/SS,no clue,couldn't care less either since those difficulties are what they are
Give me a shout when you've played it pal

I guess I won't be playing before tomorrow.
I played the demo with 20 min already and I was so fine with it.

But you're right, mate.
I need to make my own experience (we all do of course), because according to @DigitalByDesign the update doesn't seem to be that bad no more, even we have 2397 posts about it being so bad!
:LOL::LOL:

This place is crazy!
And I love it :DD

But I'm using [B said:
Spurs who have some very good players and when I face opponents like Crystal Palace[/B] their defenders turn into prime Baresi and Maldini. It's just not realistic, it's BS.

Is this the same Spurs that recently lost at home to a poor Newcastle team? ;-)

Just started the game again and there's a pop-up with patch notes for data pack 1.01/Patch 1.01.01:

Updates and addition:
-Updated face models
-Updated strips
-Additional boot models
-Additional ball designs

Gameplay adjustments:
-Fixed an issue that occasionally caused player stamina to drain quicker than intended when using Teammate Controls or the Dynamic One-Two pass in Online matches.
-Fixed an issue that occasionally caused both sticks to become unresponsive when using Skill Controls at the same time as Finesse Dribble
-Adjust the foul system to increase its accuracy
-Improved the responsiveness of Finesse Dribble controls when trapping the ball
-Adjusted the interaction between player and ball when executing a Kick Feint while trapping

After that there is also a full description of everything that is being released this week. No further data pack beyond the one that has already been out, only the live update for transfers on thursday.

Really Konami?

Its nothing to do with the in game editor except for assigning your stadium edits then exporting the .ted file and then putting it on your PC Using tool decrypting it, hex editing simply 2 bytes, encrypting it then importing it back sounds complicated but it's a piece of cake to do

I'm ok until the decrypting, I don't understand the "hex editing simply 2 bytes". Do I have to use the SmcCutcheon excel editor? 'cause in there the stadiums editor is locked.

Edit: nothing I have understand how to do it

Really Konami?

VAR just in... Not clear and obvious... Carry on... ;)

Obviously I'm kidding. There's a serious lack of fouls now.

Also, decided to put myClub on for a laugh - less than 12hrs after the servers have gone live and somebody's already got this team (on the left)... Even my team (on the right) has got superstars before I've kicked a sodding ball.

qItZiM3.jpg

Look at his bench, FFS!

I mean, A) how are you supposed to compete, and B) how is it fun? You've got a title-winning team already, what's left but to play matches? If that's all you want to do, why not just play as Brazil in random matchmaking games?

Not blaming him, obviously - it's how the mode is made. I'm just saying, what a completely boring mode. Nothing to work towards and/or aim for over time.

(PAGE 1/2)
Here are my first impressions (very long read, go to the verdicts unless you're on the John or have too much time):

I should note that i played the demo for about 50 hours because i was addicted to the gameplay. However i should also tell you that i'm not a footy expert wether in real life nor when it comes to games. All i can tell you is wether i enjoyed what i played so far and why i think that is. I am sure there are many people in this sub who can analyse the game alot preciser and perhaps i'm just imagining stuff - but again: I'll tell what i felt while playing so far.

OVERALL VERDICT: i am really enjoying it so far. However, new games usually are more fun because they're "novelty" and our brain is drawn to novelty :WOOT:. I feel like the game keeps the good elements from the demo, but i couldn't say 100% certain that nothing has been changed in that regard.

I am playing Version 1.02 ("digital version") with Boca Juniors, PA0, a mix of regular manual and advanced throughballs and advanced shooting.
I usually start Master Leagues at the very bottom and work my way up, however the grind was simply not worth it for me in the last two years (mostly because of the AI). I wasted a lot of time the last two years and that's why I said to myself i'd play one Master League with a decent team right away to see how the game is and wether it'd be worth to grind with a low team.

So first of all, i don't think the game feels too different from the demo...then again i don't realy trust my own judgment because as I said i'm no expert on footy games. But when i started passing the ball around, i didn't think "WTF that is nothing like what i played?!" ... not at all... it feels familiar, however i didn't play the demo for a week before the final release and i didn't boot it up now to compare it either.

1) Player ID: A weird thing is - and i had that in the demo as well - that at first it took me a while to feel the differences of different players. Boca Junior has mostly players with an overall of about 75-79 with the exceptions of Pavon and C.Tevez. After playing around 10-12 games (12 min) i can now clearly tell when one of these better players is on the ball. Tevez has a good first touch and can shoot pretty good from distance (i'll get to the shooting later) and i love it. Pavon on the other hand is agile, yet he gets shrugged off the ball too easily for my liking - something that i'm not sure might be different from the demo (apparently physics/collision system had a rework, hence why the lack of fouls now) and i was worried that it's the same with what i felt in PES 19 happend all the time: Whenever my winger would get barely touched the ball would end up with the opponent one way or another (that's just my memory though) - in the demo and in the final game now too i still feel like the defender might stick a foot in which leads to a temporary loss of the ball, however the good thing is that i might still recover the ball and that adds to the unpredictibility.
Anyways there is another player in my squad called S.Villa and his physical stats are nearly identical to pavons, yet i felt like he would use a lot more of the contextual shielding and thus allow me to utilise him differently and i really enjoyed that...maybe i'm just making that stuff up in my mind because technically it shouldn't be too different based on stats...perhaps i just need more time / bigger sample size).
Verdict: I still do feel the player individuality but i couldn't say if it has been toned down from the demo. I've only played with Boca so far, whereas in the demo I played mostly with bayern (and thiago and gnabry would be so nice to controll and i hope they still feel the same...but i'll stick to boca for now so i won't be able to tell).

2) AI: Apparently some people dislike it, but for me it's just miles ahead of pes 18 and 19 which were both good games that i only coulnd't enjoy because of the AI.
The AI in PES 2020 is what i personally want and expect of a footy game: Stats should matter (aka the video I think Chris (?) made last year where he proved that stats didn't matter at all) teams should play differently as in not every match should feel the same or simply put - teams should play accordingly to their set tactics - wether that reflects how they play in real life or not is not too important to me personally as long as there is variety.
My verdict here is mostly based on the demo for a soemwhat absurd reason (not really that important just go to the verdict if you like) : After my first two games yesterday i had to restart a Master League because Tevez left the club which i didn't notice as i skipped through everything non-match related (as i said i'm only doing this ML-run to figure out for myself whether the game is solid longterm) and when i restarted the master league i forgot to change the difficulty which i noticed during the loading screen of the first game and i said to myself: "I'll change it after this game" - but then the game starts and the AI plays what i thought was not great but not bad either - so i though the game carried "top player" over into my new safe file but after 7 more games i found out that it was on regular all the time..lol..which i relieved me because i felt like it was fun but i had too much space on the pitch.
Verdict: Judging from the demo and the handfull games on both regular and top player so far i'm fairly confident: I I do feel like stats matter (but i didn't prove it by altering stats or anything like that). Playing against lower teams feels as it should: They panic in the defense and often do very bad passes and other stuff.
The attacking AI on Top player so far wasn't too challenging - but to be fair, i didn't yet play against any of the stronger sides...but as i'm writing this i'm in the middle of a 2. leg cup game (I won the first leg) - it's a semifinal game and the oppoent team has 3 stars only but the flow of the match is so different than any other game i had before: They're dominating the game whereas i'm only defending in my penalty box...and i really like that, they don't play barcelona style of football...they're simply pressin hard and work patiently around the box...This also shows that the AI seems to adapt - they switch up tactis fairly often and adjust level off attack/defense when it makes sense.
Generally good i didn't really spot any patterns - didn't in the demo nor did i now - apart perhaps from the occasional long (high) throughball attempt which usually just goes straight to my defender. Overall there was good variety in the demo and i think there is variety in the full game now as well...either way it's miles ahead of pes 18 and certainly 19...so far i didn't really notice scripting but i'll still have to make up my mind about it, reason being a suspicion of me when it comes to the loosenes of the ball - which brings me to the next point.

3) Randomness/Unpredictibility
The Freedom on the pitch was so important to me in the Demo. Has it been toned down? perhaps...do i feel like everything is on rails? No.
I can't say too much about first touches yet but i can speak a bit about deflections...whereas in the demo the deflections seemed to go just anywhere, in the final game i felt some suspicioussnes creeping up in regards to the ball usually deflecting into my feet or the opponents feet or at least towards where players were running instead of just anywhere...and as a result I asked myself if this has been changed because of A) to make the game less random and thus more predictable for onlinematches and B) for scripting-purposes....however i think that there might be (at least partially) a different explination: I feelt that the ball in the demo felt more loose because it took AI (both my teammates and AI) longer to react to it and the patch seems to have improved the awareness - at a cost of what we feel as reduced unpredictibility.
But nonetheless i still see a good amount of pretty random deflections, the Ball physics for me feel very good and i didn't think it was really any different from the demo - overall i don't feel like the game is on rails.
Verdict
: So i guess what i'm saying i feel like this particular aspect (Instances of randomness) perhaps had a rework but imo kept the essence of the demo at the same time: the game feels definitely more free than 18 and 19 (probably also more than 17 but memories are too old) and that is already a good thing in itself.
Again please keep in mind that even though i played the demo for 50 hours - I'm not an expert and perhaps some of you notice right away that stuff changed for the worse...all i can say is that i had fun with this aspect of the game in the demo and so far i had a similiar experience in the final game.

(more to come in page 2/2)

(Page 2/2)

4) Passing and Shooting

First of all i'd like to say that i don't feel that PA0 feels remarkebly different (if at all) from the demo...i only play PA0 and i'm sure if something was off i'd notice it...but again i'm sure there are more experienced people on this sub. I really enjoy just passing the ball around and playing throughballs down the wing (which btw i use :x: for in 90% of the time) feels butter smooth. Don't feel like it's more fixated/on rails, but i guess more time will be needed to make a final judgment - for now all i can say is that i felt like i had freedom of passsing in the demo and the same goes for the full game.

Now shooting...i seem to be one of the only ones who has no problem with shooting in PES...reasons for that might be that 1) I'm only on board since pes 16 (and therefore haven't experienced the "golden era of PES") and 2) i never felt goals in Fifa to be even nearly as satisfying asin PES - which might be for another reason entirely : I have to work for goals in PES, both when playing PA1 but even more as a manual player. When playing PA1 (which i started pes with) i would often know in advance that this next througball will land in front of the striker who will be throug 1v1 against a keeper. I still had to work for the goal, yet the tension wasn't really there. Playing manual (passing) however nothing is guaranteed...once you play it long enough it becomes a lot easier yes, but you still have to be focused nonetheless. Sorry i didn't mean to start a war between PA0 and PA1.
I use advanced shooting and i really like that...it's almost a "minigame" in front of goal (though not a realistic one considering you have to aim backwards with your stick in order to shoot it low) which adds some tension.
Now the other things with shooting are variety and "ooomph!" - the variety is ok, however it could definitely be improved upon in the future...now about the "feeling"/ the "ooomph": I think it has to do a lot with which player takes the shot...Many players don't have an incredible shot and i understand that this might translate into less satisfactions when shooting/scoring, i really do...but on the other hand there are players who have insane shots - such as lukaku...also Tevez in my team has a decent strike and i scored from distance once with him already and that ball wasn't "floaty" at all. On top of that there is a good amount of missed shots and they often make you feel like "daaamn, that would have been a belter if only it would have been a bit lower".
Verdict: So far i'm happy with shooting but I seem to have different taste than many others.

5)Fouls
Not too happy with it...I feel like you can just press/spam X without a lot of negative repercussion... I felt the demo made you more cautious in the defending which i really liked...yes the collision sysem had to be reworked but now it's just a lot more casual...not a gamebreaker for me as I play PES for the feeling on the ball, yet it's a missed chance and perhaps just shows how online gaming caters towards a playstyle that ensures instant gratification (learning how to tackle properly takes time --> delayed gratification combined with shorter attention spans of this generation whill steer developers toward the system that delievers more instant gratification in order to keep the masses play and ensure revenue income.....at least i like to think that this is what's going on in the industry/our brains...perhaps i'm just salty :SNACK:)
Number of fouls received varies very strongly...some games i don't get fouled once, other games 5-6 times...
Verdict: I can live with it for now but hope to see improve both the penalty for lazy-defending as well as the number of fouls received or at least ensure that there are no games with zero fouls.

If you made it till here, thanks for reading it. I'll keep playing the entire day and update my thoughts tonight.

I'm ok until the decrypting, I don't understand the "hex editing simply 2 bytes". Do I have to use the SmcCutcheon excel editor? 'cause in there the stadiums editor is locked.

Edit: nothing I have understand how to do it

No need to use his editor unless he has changed something because changing stadium didn't work with his tool you have to do it manually yourself I posted a guide for pes 2017 a few posts ago sadly the example image has gone but it's simple just choose konami stadium in game export it and look for 1D in hex at the top and change it to a South American ID sorry I don't know all its new codes but export a South American team and check their stadium code

Sorry if off topic

Back
Top Bottom