WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/25/07)

Not got my copy of OPM today, maybe arrive tommorrow.

Also OPM is a very good source for scores, they gave negativeish reviews to Heavenly Sword (7/10) and Lair (6/10) so deffo no conflict of interest.

well lair got 4 everywhere else.....their score is always a +1 or +2 compared to the independent mags.

Yes true, some magazines are too depended to game-makers. Some of them are even sposored by big game-makers like EA. In that case you cannot expect objectivity...

In general the american ones on line (ign, gamespot) are clearly MS/EA biased. Dunno about eurogamer or the french mag who gave it a 7. I am interested in eurogamer, since historically has been pro evo biased.

I don't really buy paper mags anymore as on line you find more better faster news.

But my feeling is this year fifa will score a bit better than pes, something like 8.5 vs 8.0

You are talking about 2 different simulation levels.

There is a Strategic/Tactics level of the simulation and a on-field simulation that involves physics and control.

Two different world.

I totally agree dejavu. But the way players take spaces and defend is about your choice.
I'm a PES fan and this year FIFA looks "visually" to a real simulation football. That's the reason why I'm gonna take both this year.
I love PES for its total control. I can perform what I want in it and give the tempo. (as a Player of foot ball)
FIFA on the other hand is this year a very good solution for single player gaming (as a Foot Ball FAN on TV in general).

That's my two visions of those games

I totally agree dejavu. But the way players take spaces and defend is about your choice.
I'm a PES fan and this year FIFA looks "visually" to a real simulation football. That's the reason why I'm gonna take both this year.
I love PES for its total control. I can perform what I want in it and give the tempo. (as a Player of foot ball)
FIFA on the other hand is this year a very good solution for single player gaming (as a Foot Ball FAN on TV in general).

That's my two visions of those games

Funny i totally see it the other way around: pes being a one player game this year, fifa being a collective football. Did you play the 360 demo versions or you are talking about old fifa/pes???

Funny i totally see it the other way around: pes being a one player game this year, fifa being a collective football. Did you play the 360 demo versions or you are talking about old fifa/pes???

Yes old ones...
I just have a PC for the moment and tried both on PC.
I'm gonna buy a 360 for FIFA08 (and buy a FIFA since FIFA99).
I'm reading all review and watching all videos...And that's the reason why I speak about a "visual" aspect.
PES cannot be a single player game because of its poor ML and few championships. I prefer playing it on 1vs1 or 2vs2 with my friends or online.
I really don't what value has FIFA08 this year in multiplayer games...but the old FIFAs were very poor

And sorry for my bad English

I can't wait for the final game! The top players that actually use tricks ex. C. Ronaldo actually do tricks! It's like real life! Konami really should fix that stepover animation though, it looks so dull there is barely any body movement.

Yeah, the stepover animation is crap. The player just sort of floats. There is no body reaction when he puts his feet down, as in normal life.

Thanks Trance_Allstar ;)

No problem. :)

Hi guys or girls if there are any, :8):
could anyone care to explain how do i set my shots off the ground in the demo cus every shot im doing goes low.
peace

I find you just need to give them more power. Don't be afraid to use the top 50% of the gauge that were unusable for the most part in PES6. ;)

In my opinion I think it is a good thing. I can definitely use 80% of my shot power and easily keep the ball very low. It is when you start approaching maximum effort that the ball tends to stray more wildly.

However, this approach also makes the need for a height gauge or some way to control the initial ball "takeoff angle" even more nein real life it is possible to put more foot under the ball and give it a higher trajectory incase you want to sort of chip the goalkeper, but in a fashion where it is more like a weak high shot rather than a chip or lob. THis nuance is gone since KONAMI doesn't give us enough trajectory control. It's the way it's always been, but that doesn't make it good... ;)

Nice video Trance, but they all confirmed the arcadish nature of the game. Too much space everywhere, too easy to go on the wing, and what are all those wingers doing without any defense.

In the CPU attacking video there are more forwards than defenders which very unrealistic. 2 men free on the right side of the box 2 metres from each other, wtf?????

They made a fun arcadish game, but if you want a football simulation this year the way to go is another for sure. fun vs simulation i always go for simulation, more rewarding in a long term.

P.S.
It would also be about time to get rid of that annoying scripting that the keeper deflections goes right into the head/foot of un unmarked forward. half the gols on line are like that, the other half from cutbacks.

I hear ya, I thought the same thing when I viewed them myself. Admittedly football tactics if the one thing that is really lost on me, so I suppose that aspect won't bring me down as much as a tactics afficionado.

However, I just sub in Ronnie and Adriano for each match and then go. Idon't adjust man marking or defensive nature of the players, so they just do what they want. If I was playing ML with my own team I would create 3 separate formations that differ quite alot in defensive and attacking nature, and select them when appropriate. So if you put effort into it, the tactics side can be managable I suppose.

As for physics and such, I don't agree that it is more arcade per se. Most things are the same, but passing is slightly less acurate than before I reckon, which means you might need to be a bit more careful where you play the ball, although this change is fairly little. R2 dribbling also has more control than before, so more control = less arcade for me atleast.

But I would like a 10% decrease in the pace of the game. Not too much, but just that little slowdown where everything feels slightly more relaxed and less "hyper", which there is a tendency of sometimes.
Obviously, we are playing with Brazil and Ronaldinho etc here, so it's not going to get much faster.
I'll reserve final judgment for the final game and playing a game of "poor-team" soccer to see the other end of the spectrum (which can be even more telling sometimes, which those who in PES6 tried to get the default ML team to hit goal with their shots probably know... :)).

This is looking better and better. Thanks for your (as usual!) great contribution to this thread Trance_Allstar. I really can't wait to buy the full version now!

No problems mate. :)
I too am excited. I was a bit bummed when I first played it, but being a slight graphics whore (not the graphics themselves, but the way they make the game feel warmer and more natural, it "feels" like you are playing football on a hot summer day), I was able to bump it up to High details (low resolution) and it looks very nice actually.

Not sure how old this Demo is, but there could be things changed or altered if it is a month or 2 old.
I remember playng a Beta of PES5 on the Xbox (PES4 also had a leacked Beta I believe) and Demo's in the past have been pretty accurate, yet they felt slightly different to the finished game. It would seem KONAMI work right up till the end with correcting and adjusting.
If anything I can't wait to dive on someone online. I like how, if you succeed, there is no real sign or symbol of your player diving. So if you pull it off, you leave the opponent wondering "did he just dive, or was it the defender that actually did that?". :)

Well i will certainly buy FIFA this year (as a matter of fact i've just been searching it in Brussels but i can't find it).
As a PES-fan and far from a hardcore gamer (i've just broken 2 taboos in a couple of words...)i will still buy PES2008. I hope that it will be better on PS3 because i seem to remember that it was primarily devloped for that platform...so just wait and see till it's out on PS3 (the full game i mean).
But meanwhile i will be playing FIFA with the licenses, the boots, balls and haircuts (never important to me, but still a nice bonus), the realistic manager mode...well i think a couple of bright people at Konami must begin to realise that it's getting harder and harder to like PES and the stubborn mentality behind it.
I do agree with charlievolano that as customers we have a right to have some quality for our hard earned money.

Animations just spoil everything good about PES 2008. They are so unrealistic and jerky. However I'll buy the game just to play ml as I'm a huge fan of it and of course for battles vs my mates in online and offline.

Gameplay is good and quite fun to play as always it is with pes, but those awkward animations make it look 100 times worse.

In general the american ones on line (ign, gamespot) are clearly MS/EA biased. Dunno about eurogamer or the french mag who gave it a 7. I am interested in eurogamer, since historically has been pro evo biased.

I don't really buy paper mags anymore as on line you find more better faster news.

But my feeling is this year fifa will score a bit better than pes, something like 8.5 vs 8.0

thats bullshit about gamespot and ign. they give ea and ms bad reviews all the time...

IGN can't be biased towards EA when they've given FIFA a terrible review, slating the dates when the cup ties are played in manager mode, despite the fact that I've played the game and they all happen on the right days... Someone said they even mentioned extra features in San Andreas that weren't there in the final game. I don't trust very many review sites anyway, in-fact the only time I trust a review is when I agree with it - which renders the whole review process useless really.

No idea about this stadium ??

stadiumaa5.jpg

thats bullshit about gamespot and ign. they give ea and ms bad reviews all the time...

I might be wrong, but I thought gamespot was owned by CNET which is affiliated to MS?? And that IGN is now owned by Fox (which isn't U.S. biased at all........)

Yes the gave EA bad scores (all well deserved), but in general i have the feeling MS is treated preferentially there in terms of space/attitude.

And Jack, i think that review was made by IGN uk or something like that, in general those country based review are crap and not credible at all. But in general when it comes to football i find the american reviews pretty funky and i don't trust them too much. I would rather see what eurogamer thinks.

Last edited:

Personaly im waiting for OPM's review, pretty much every game they have reviewed so far has been on the money. And although they are official playstation they are not afraid to point out the PS3s flaws unlike other mags like PSW, who seem very fanboyish.

Personaly im waiting for OPM's review, pretty much every game they have reviewed so far has been on the money. And although they are official playstation they are not afraid to point out the PS3s flaws unlike other mags like PSW, who seem very fanboyish.

Love the avatar mate :)

Potential bad news guys. I just got off the phone to our Konami contact, looks like no PSN demo tomorrow.

Its not confirmed so I cant post on the blog yet, but it looks like Sony are only putting up a movie file of the game.

WTF?!

Do they want this game to fail! Jokes jokes the pc demo was great, still they seem to be making it obvious (given the pc version was a direct 360 port) sony aint their priority at the moment

Do they want this game to fail! Jokes jokes the pc demo was great, still they seem to be making it obvious (given the pc version was a direct 360 port) sony aint their priority at the moment

Wouldn't you rather see the full game at this stage; I mean what is the demo? Earlier build of the game packed into 1gb or so, with bugs and limited teams.

Wait for the full game I say.

Last edited:

No idea about this stadium ??

stadiumaa5.jpg

The shade shape reminds me of some arena from the World Cup in Germany, I remember watching a Brazil game where the shade made the stadium feel very closed off. I am probably way off but that is all I can say really.

As for the Winning Eleven videos, they are as fast as PES2008 PC Demo. COuld use a real slowdown in my opinion. The players look like they're on acid. :)

Potential bad news guys. I just got off the phone to our Konami contact, looks like no PSN demo tomorrow.

Its not confirmed so I cant post on the blog yet, but it looks like Sony are only putting up a movie file of the game.

WTF?!

thanks for the news anyway, i am often critical but you are surely the man when it comes to news.

WTF?!

ิvery bad news
wtf psn

thanks for the news anyway, i am often critical but you are surely the man when it comes to news.

No probs mate, just wish I was bringing good news rather than bad.

Something interesting to note: Just been msning a friend who works for a magazine in Europe and he's received all reviewable copies of the game. After playing PC, X360 and PS3 versions he told me the PS3 version is slower paced than the other two.

I'll try to get him to elaborate soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom