The Retro-PES Corner

I might have just purchased this on eBay 😁.
I had no intention of collecting the Korean PS2 games after WE10LE but it looks like just started! I’ll create an ISO for it when it arrives.
I put a cheeky bid in for one on eBay but it was declined so we probably went for the same one! If it is the same seller they seem to have most of the other Korean games you may be after. Might be worth messaging them for a bulk buy price for all of them!

I put a cheeky bid in for one on eBay but it was declined so we probably went for the same one! If it is the same seller they seem to have most of the other Korean games you may be after. Might be worth messaging them for a bulk buy price for all of them!
I’m not going near the ones he lists for around £300! Odd that 2011 was so much cheaper 🤷🏻‍♂️. I won’t be looking to buy another anytime soon or I’ll be kicked out of the house 😄.

A question…

Do any of you play PES on a PS3? I‘m talking about early PES and a PS3 that has been ’modified’ to play PS2 games ;)

If so, does it play well? Is it easy getting the option files, patches, and ISO’s to work on it?

A question…

Do any of you play PES on a PS3? I‘m talking about early PES and a PS3 that has been ’modified’ to play PS2 games ;)

If so, does it play well? Is it easy getting the option files, patches, and ISO’s to work on it?

I made the move from a PS2 with FreeMCBoot to a jailbroken PS3 and I'd recommend it.

There's not a huge amount in it. Compatibility isn't 100% and it also seems to hate FMV, so you'll find yourself bashing buttons so it skips the PES intros! But it plays almost every PES/WE eventually, patched or otherwise.

File transfers are easier although you encounter a new file type: PSV.

The main benefit I see of the PS3 is the ease with which you can also play PS1 games and 16-bit games via RetroArch.

If you're looking to record footage it's a ball ache as you need an HDMI splitter.

Not sure what your budget is but if you're in a position to I'd say stretch to an Xbox Series S.

Think that's everything. Feel free to DM me!

I made the move from a PS2 with FreeMCBoot to a jailbroken PS3 and I'd recommend it.

There's not a huge amount in it. Compatibility isn't 100% and it also seems to hate FMV, so you'll find yourself bashing buttons so it skips the PES intros! But it plays almost every PES/WE eventually, patched or otherwise.

File transfers are easier although you encounter a new file type: PSV.

The main benefit I see of the PS3 is the ease with which you can also play PS1 games and 16-bit games via RetroArch.

If you're looking to record footage it's a ball ache as you need an HDMI splitter.

Not sure what your budget is but if you're in a position to I'd say stretch to an Xbox Series S.

Think that's everything. Feel free to DM me!

Thanks for the info Flipper!

So can i just transfer over my PES2008 ISO file over and it will work? :D

At the moment I use a GameCapture thingy that plugs into the back of my PS2 and into the TV with a hardrive connected to record it.

I will take a look at the Xbox Series S too.

My main thing is for it to play PES ISO’s with Option Files. Also having cordless controls would be good. :)

Thanks for the info Flipper!

So can i just transfer over my PES2008 ISO file over and it will work? :D

At the moment I use a GameCapture thingy that plugs into the back of my PS2 and into the TV with a hardrive connected to record it.

I will take a look at the Xbox Series S too.

My main thing is for it to play PES ISO’s with Option Files. Also having cordless controls would be good. :)

Oh yeah. You can just load any ISO, onto the PS3's hard drive or removal storage. Option files you just need to plug in your USB and transfer onto a virtual memory card, of which you can create loads.

Should also add an obvious benefit of the PS3 over PS2: you can play PS3 games!

If you're going to do it, I'd recommend going for the full custom firmware (CFW) over PS3HEN. If that doesn't make sense now it will further down the line!

Series S is way faster, way more reliable, and you can get the graphical enhancements. It's ace.

Oh yeah. You can just load any ISO, onto the PS3's hard drive or removal storage. Option files you just need to plug in your USB and transfer onto a virtual memory card, of which you can create loads.

If you're going to do it, I'd recommend going for the full custom firmware (CFW) over PS3HEN. If that doesn't make sense now it will further down the line!

Series S is way faster, way more reliable, and you can get the graphical enhancements. It's ace.
I also recommend the Series S. A very powerful machine for emulation and it is really cheap these days if go for a 2nd hand one.

I also recommend the Series S. A very powerful machine for emulation and it is really cheap these days if go for a 2nd hand one.

Thanks guys, @Flipper the Priest when you say graphical enhancements, would PES2008 look much better on it?

Sorry, i probably wouldn't do much more with it other than play retro PES so that is quite important to me. Thanks

@geeeeee here is a 2008 clip I uploaded on Twitter a little while ago. The capture quality is limited to 1080p (plus whatever twitter compressed it to) but this is running at 2k or possibly 4k resolution on my Series S Console. Hopefully you can still see that there are graphical improvements applied.

https://x.com/pes_dna/status/1574199540172963840?s=46&t=G2l0QmN6J4SO65-o8ElkuQ

Thank you so much for this, that looks really good! Just to confirm, that is the PS2 version being played on Xbox?

Thanks @Shales I have only ever owned PlayStations before so Xbox is completely new to me and I want to make sure before I part with my hard earned cash ;)

I was the same - an ardent PlayStation guy. I'd barely touched an Xbox before, let alone owned one! The set up was straightforward (thanks to a combo of YouTube nerds and our own @Shales) and it's easy to take to the controller as the layout of buttons is the same.

Question for all of those who have experience using GameGraphicStudio to edit the 0_text file in pes 6: after editing the file once, my computer does not read the changes made if I replace it with another 0_text file (for example one from a patch without kitserver), and the game keeps looking the same.
Is there any way of fixing it, and being able to successfully inserting another 0_text file after having edited the original file through GGS?

I was struggling to sleep today, and I didn't have class or work thankfully, so I snuck out of the room, where my PS4 is, without waking up my missus who was sleeping soundly, and went into the kitchen, and then the living room to chill a bit, and the PS3 was in the living room, so I figured "Eh... why not?" and played some PES2012 on it, it was my main football video game for 3 years afterall, and I kept playing it long after getting PES2015 and even after getting a PS4, so it's special to me, surely something has made it stay with me after all of these years... and I remembered exactly what it was in just a couple of matches on it.

I'm actually kind of frustrated to be honest.

I started it up and was immediately greeted by an OST I adore, though to be fair those have stayed decent over the years... and a UI that looked elegant, just so modern and sleek... why can't they do this anymore? Anyways, I went ahead an played a couple of friendly matches, on a couple of accounts, the first one had an OF for Brazilian clubs, I played with my dear Coritiba F.C. there and the decent squad we had in 2012, since I never updated the OF because our club got worse squads over the years anyways, and then on another account with my dear Konami club, Hjorwesland B.K. (Burger King?) and both were... superb.

It made me realize how little progress we've actually made.

Here is when PES' movement started feeling 360º for me, even if it isn't objectively according to some things I've read before, it feels like it and that's good enough for me, this is also when they introduced FUMA settings, and they feel great here... then I realized how there were consistent fouls for both sides because both the played and CPU missed tackles and the referee was well programmed for collisions, and then I saw lots of variety in plays and passes in FUMA, and then I appreciated the pace even on 0 speed, and then how I couldn't just pressure to get the ball back and had to jockey and time my tackles...

PES2012 still holds up as a simulation just like the PS2 classics.

I think the PES2011/2012/2013 trilogy doesn't get enough credit, I hold them in pretty much the same regard as the good old PS1 and PS2 classics in many ways. During my session I was surprised when I picked mediocre teams and the football was just... downright ugly at times, and that's how it should be in this kind of match! I actually appreciated it, because I love the beautiful game enough to love it even when it's far from being beautiful. I see beauty in the missed pass, the shot that took a dumb reflection and went in, possession constantly changing in the middle of the park after mistakes from both sides nonstop...

In a way I wish they had kept this foundation instead of scrapping it after just 3 years.

I was struggling to sleep today, and I didn't have class or work thankfully, so I snuck out of the room, where my PS4 is, without waking up my missus who was sleeping soundly, and went into the kitchen, and then the living room to chill a bit, and the PS3 was in the living room, so I figured "Eh... why not?" and played some PES2012 on it, it was my main football video game for 3 years afterall, and I kept playing it long after getting PES2015 and even after getting a PS4, so it's special to me, surely something has made it stay with me after all of these years... and I remembered exactly what it was in just a couple of matches on it.

I started it up and was immediately greeted by an OST I adore, though to be fair those have stayed decent over the years... and a UI that looked elegant, just so modern and sleek... why can't they do this anymore? Anyways, I went ahead an played a couple of friendly matches, on a couple of accounts, the first one had an OF for Brazilian clubs, I played with my dear Coritiba F.C. there and the decent squad we had in 2012, since I never updated the OF because our club got worse squads over the years anyways, and then on another account with my dear Konami club, Hjorwesland B.K. (Burger King?) and both were... superb.

Here is when PES' movement started feeling 360º for me, even if it isn't objectively according to some things I've read before, it feels like it and that's good enough for me, this is also when they introduced FUMA settings, and they feel great here... then I realized how there were consistent fouls for both sides because both the played and CPU missed tackles and the referee was well programmed for collisions, and then I saw lots of variety in plays and passes in FUMA, and then I appreciated the pace even on 0 speed, and then how I couldn't just pressure to get the ball back and had to jockey and time my tackles...

I think the PES2011/2012/2013 trilogy doesn't get enough credit, I hold them in pretty much the same regard as the good old PS1 and PS2 classics in many ways. During my session I was surprised when I picked mediocre teams and the football was just... downright ugly at times, and that's how it should be in this kind of match! I actually appreciated it, because I love the beautiful game enough to love it even when it's far from being beautiful. I see beauty in the missed pass, the shot that took a dumb reflection and went in, possession constantly changing in the middle of the park after mistakes from both sides nonstop...

In a way I wish they had kept this foundation instead of scrapping it after just 3 years.

I go through this a lot - constant reminders of the lack of progress, or even regression!

Nice compilation of ISS Deluxe goals against Lvl 5 goalkeeping! I've always struggled to score a variety of goals in ISS Deluxe (many of my goals look the same, off rebounds), so seeing this compilation is actually pretty cool! :TU:

Nice compilation. One of my biggest criticisms of the ISS/KCEO titles is the number of goals that come from rebounds. It's nice to be reminded that there's more to it than that!

Last edited:
Has there ever been an iso made for J.League Winning Eleven 10 - Europa League 06-07 with a patch (much like the WE9 LE one in this forum)?

Or any other PS2 Japan region games?

(I'd use the search function but I'm not convinced I'm using it properly)

My sentiments exactly. Every once in a while I fire up 2012 on my computer, and it still plays great. I don't know why people didn't like it as much back in the day, and now they say 2013 was one of the pinnacles of the series (BTW, unpopular opinion, but I prefer 5 and 2012 over 6 and 2013, though it's simply because of the team selections).
But I digress. 2012 is a phenomenal game in pretty much every sense; the graphics engine is crisp and refined (my only gripe is the crowd not wearing the teams' shirts like they would do for 2013), it plays really smooth, and there's quite a lot of entertaining features like the Stadium Editor and the Club Boss mode; plus they reached their peak with the Football Life structure, especially on Become a Legend which actually incorporates the international competitions. And I've had extra fun with it since I learned how to manipulate the files to have more "Rest of World" teams and finished up my Option File (thank God for shirt textures!) to make the game the way I like it.
I understand Konami wanting to showcase the Fox Engine, but they shouldn't have rushed 2014 out the door like they did. In fact they should've let Hideo Kojima do his work with it first; you can tell how crude it was not only by how the players were in the uncanny valley, but also for the number of sacrifices they made to make it work (like doing away with the rain, for example). The 2010-13 engine was perfect as it was, there was no need to change it up, at least not so soon.

Didnt play it when it came out, moved from PES 11 straight into PES 13.
But i discovered it a few years ago, and its a brilliant game, unmodded/unpatched it beats PES 13s gameplay for sure, and still holds up vs a patched one.
Thta trio of games from that era is so good
Like you said too bad they didnt build on the, or for that matter the game after PES 14 which i really like

My sentiments exactly. Every once in a while I fire up 2012 on my computer, and it still plays great. I don't know why people didn't like it as much back in the day, and now they say 2013 was one of the pinnacles of the series (BTW, unpopular opinion, but I prefer 5 and 2012 over 6 and 2013, though it's simply because of the team selections).
But I digress. 2012 is a phenomenal game in pretty much every sense; the graphics engine is crisp and refined (my only gripe is the crowd not wearing the teams' shirts like they would do for 2013), it plays really smooth, and there's quite a lot of entertaining features like the Stadium Editor and the Club Boss mode; plus they reached their peak with the Football Life structure, especially on Become a Legend which actually incorporates the international competitions. And I've had extra fun with it since I learned how to manipulate the files to have more "Rest of World" teams and finished up my Option File (thank God for shirt textures!) to make the game the way I like it.
I understand Konami wanting to showcase the Fox Engine, but they shouldn't have rushed 2014 out the door like they did. In fact they should've let Hideo Kojima do his work with it first; you can tell how crude it was not only by how the players were in the uncanny valley, but also for the number of sacrifices they made to make it work (like doing away with the rain, for example). The 2010-13 engine was perfect as it was, there was no need to change it up, at least not so soon.
I join your thoughts. I have looked into the 2010-2013 period for the first time in recent months.
At the time of publication I completely ignored them, and today I wonder why.
I think at the time I had a sort of preconception, convinced that Konami wasn't really evolving the game.
Now, approaching these titles calmly, I realize that they offer much more than what they offered us in the next generation.
A fantastic color palette, well-recreated atmosphere, simulation-oriented gameplay, with a highly developed CPU, without crazy scripts.

Luckily it's never too late to discover a video game.

A fantastic color palette

PES 2010 has, IMO, the most beautiful color palette in the entire series!! Such a gorgeous game. I attach a World Cup Match I played not too long ago. :TU:

The only issue I have with PES 2012 is the training in Master League, I find it a bit confusing as to where/when to assign points for continuous growth.. When I figure it out, I will definitely play an ML on it, as I love the combination play it features (kind of a mix of 2011 and 2013).

Back
Top Bottom