The Retro-PES Corner

18 lacks physicality and fouls, except in derby games. AI is also not perfect but more varied, even if quite frankly unfair. In my opinion anyway it makes for a better game of football than 19, at least in sp.

Thanks for the reply mate - I completely forgot about the AI in 2019 and lack of fouls in 2018.

I remember enjoying both a lot more than 2020 and 2021 though. I didn’t realise but I own PES 2019 on PS Store so will download it and try it until postman delivers 2018.

I own a PS3 yes! I’d have to dust it off. Never tried PES 2017 on that generation of consoles!
Me neither (pes 17 on old old gen) but bought it dirt cheap and it's great..

I did enjoy a season or so on 19 , but that was on league mode where the TS is removed.
I usually play that mode if the ML is horrible ,works pretty good.
Plus 19 looks pretty damn good .
I played as SPAL in the Serie A and had pretty fun.

playing a friendly psv vs sporting here on 2015 pc with default OF and i think i noticed the main issue with the response, and its the konami stats, for most the lower ranked teams, some of the values are very low

after observing guardado and on the other side switching to carrillo, they have the dribbling and ball control stats reversed, one has over 80 below 80 and otherwise, so the value for instant smooth response is ball control, all the other values in this case do not matter because for example maher has both values in low 80's and other speed related values 70's and is still super responsive

in conclusion there is a need for a global stat edit raise for the value ball control to up the base game responsiveness, this in addition to window mode results in pretty much what i would expect from a game that is still based somewhat on mass/inertia

ps checked with sidebacks 74 and one below 70 yes definately the case, its good one need only one stat to worry about, so you can still have a slow player, but a responsive one (ps say an old #10 that lost running speed), because other stats are left alone

pps this even overrided the night play time slower response

ok found editor that can do this (PES 2015 StatsUpdater) and applied +20 the following:
min. to be changed to 68, max. to be changed to 74 (ones that get applied), for players in range from 40 to 68
like this i leave the 80+ players as they are which are fine to control and keep the differences, but raise the low level players but not too much, bit of a mind game how this works but the editor has min/max and range values they work together, played max 2* rated teams and it works

high explosive power stat and low ball control stat results in slow response, not as slow as both down but still slow, this proves the point, the other way around also the explosive has an impact but not the initial response but after that, since the issue is not so much the slow animations themselves but the triggering of them i think its best to leave this stat alone

Last edited:
I'd take 18 in a heartbeat mate.
I played a season or so on 19 ,but the AI is weird in it ,just goes down the wing ,low cross to a striker who (regardless of how tightly marked) taps it in top shelf.

18 has little to no fouls ,and the heel passes (especially on harder difficulty = above top player) but has a brilliant AI ,who dribbles ,takes shots out of the blue.
I always return and play my old ML save every now and then.

Do you still have a PS3/Xbox 360?
If,get PES 17 for it ,I think it's better than PS4/XB1 version ,stripped down ,but gameplay very good ,a bit slower.

And thanks for the vote of confidence mate💚
Out of the games u mentioned, 17 is the most well rounded game, however the ai suffers from variety in ML and cpu cheating galore.., i am currenly enjoying pes 2021 but only cup competitions or league, no ML, darn no....no way im playing ML anymore in 2021

Following the announcement of the rebranding "e-footbal"l, I saw a few memes reminiscing about Old School Master League. So I ended up playing a lot of ISSPE2 (PS1) last week and now I've also picked up PES's first PS2 outing, which has now led me to rediscovering about editing and modding.

Following the announcement of the rebranding "e-footbal"l, I saw a few memes reminiscing about Old School Master League. So I ended up playing a lot of ISSPE2 (PS1) last week and now I've also picked up PES's first PS2 outing, which has now led me to rediscovering about editing and modding.
Why are u stuck in the 80s? U like it like i do?

There aren't many better games to get back on the horse with.

Believe it or not, managed to make the semi finals of the world cup with lebanon, vs italy in the semis it was too much my left back could handle, federico chiesa doing the damage from.the right wing with his trickery and blistering pace, but nontheless, playing with a 60s team.and making the semi finals lol
Difficulty: superstar
Basic shooting
1 bar passing

playing 2015 on speed 1 fixes the slow ball speed and player off the ball movement, additionally to the response on the ball i mentioned in earlier posts, adding more camera view angle it gets slower and smooths out some of the erratic animations added by increased game speed, trying to find a balance here

zoomed out cam seems to be preferable since the cam move/pan is so bad atleast like that it happens less, the height i still have trouble with, why did they remove so when you hit the ball to the other side the cam goes there too? how stupid is this

Since modern football games are approaching the grave I thought I'd share a random retro thought anyone remember these two game

Striker on the snes where you could edit all the kits had loads of different layers and the gameplay was actually pretty good

strikerfoul.gif

Fever pitch on the saga megadrive where you travelled the world by continent and had to purchase players with specific skill sets and the final game was against a team in an all black kit of basically super hero players

Fever_Pitch_Soccer.png

Since modern football games are approaching the grave I thought I'd share a random retro thought anyone remember these two game

Striker on the snes where you could edit all the kits had loads of different layers and the gameplay was actually pretty good

strikerfoul.gif

Fever pitch on the saga megadrive where you travelled the world by continent and had to purchase players with specific skill sets and the final game was against a team in an all black kit of basically super hero players

Fever_Pitch_Soccer.png
You hit me now. Soccer but for Gameboy, was my first proper "simulation" game in my life. It was "similar" but inferior of course to SNES version.

But well polished, had most of the football rules implemented, I can't even remember how many hours and quartets of AA batteries I've spent on this!!!oh a blast from past.

I will give a try to its SNES iteration, looks decent!

Also seems it has some more "recent" descendats like Striker 96 and UEFA Striker for Dreamcast.

GB version

Wait the SNES version has indoor mode??? FIFA 97 hold my beer!!!!! :)

Well checked this company, Rage software, I recall a lot good titls by them, and seems they dismissed after bankruptcy.

According to wikipedia, the reason was the high production costs in contrast to sales. One of the main high cost title was David Beckham Soccer.. Oh crap!

strikerfoul.gif

Fever_Pitch_Soccer.png
My best friend still claims striker is the greatest football game ever 🙌🙌 I'd argue that microprose soccer with the banana kicks was the king of my childhood

I thought Striker was pretty good when we first bought it (for our Amiga); rather nice graphics, high speed, lots of curl you could put on the ball. In two player mode it was good fun for quite some time, but it got put to one side once I bought Sensi. I tried it again a number of years ago through emulation, and it just felt too fast (I have the same problem with Sensi, which I was brilliant at back in the 90s!) and I had forgotten how effective dribbling was versus passing. Back in the day, it didn't really matter that passing wasn't the forte of the game; with two players it was good fun bending wild shots and passes across the pitch. It had a good feel, with satisfying speed of the players but with relative floatiness for the ball, which worked somehow. But having become conditioned to modern football games, the early 90s pinball-esque arcade style is too much for my 40 year old brain to compute in real time!

I better stop now before I start going on about my favourite 90s football games...maybe in another part of the forum :))

Does anyone have a link to a English patched version of WE8LE?

The one linked by @fmicablues7 on pg.132 always crashes pcsx2 when starting a cup.

I've been working on something lately; patching a clean, original ISO; importing kits and badges from another patch; and creating an option file to correct some of the names that have been translated incorrectly. Should be finished tomorrow! Although I'm worried now that it'll crash... I shall test it and keep you posted. It's my next ML save.

I've been working on something lately; patching a clean, original ISO; importing kits and badges from another patch; and creating an option file to correct some of the names that have been translated incorrectly. Should be finished tomorrow! Although I'm worried now that it'll crash... I shall test it and keep you posted. It's my next ML save.

That is great to hear Flipper :) hopefully it won’t crash on you,

With a bit of help from @Chicoper1978 and from the discussions we had too, I have been experimenting with editing the iso for 2008. It’s a bit of a game changer because it means i am not limited to the 60 emblems so i will include all the teams that i want in my new option file. Also i like that i can change the league logos and backgrounds etc.

Next thing to try will be kits and faces. :)

I've been working on something lately; patching a clean, original ISO; importing kits and badges from another patch; and creating an option file to correct some of the names that have been translated incorrectly. Should be finished tomorrow!
Did you finally manage to rebuild the ISO then? That's great news, man!
As said earlier, if you need a particular kit from the PES4 era (which are the ones compatible with WE8LE as far as I can see) feel free to ask. I've been collecting PES3 to PES6 kits for some time now (@piospi, I haven't given up!) and you might find some of them useful.

I dare say that PS2 games editing deserves its own thread. ;)

Hi @mattmid, was it you or Migs that made the condition arrows invisible?

I am thinking of doing the same as that will also make things a bit more realistic when picking players.

@*aLe a PS2 editing thread has been mentioned before. That sounds like a plan ;)

Yeah that was me. I don't know what file it would be on for PES 2008, probably similar I expect. It's been a while now since I did it but I think it was the one that has various stuff on it like the player cursor and positions, or if not that one then very close to it file number wise. I can try to find it if you need to know.

Oh awesome! Look forward to it. Not sure if it was pcsx2 or the ISO, but I tried it on several versions of the emulator and it would always crash when loading into the first match of the cup.

Any cup in particular? I just tried the International Cup with no crash so fingers crossed!

Did you finally manage to rebuild the ISO then? That's great news, man!
As said earlier, if you need a particular kit from the PES4 era (which are the ones compatible with WE8LE as far as I can see) feel free to ask. I've been collecting PES3 to PES6 kits for some time now (@piospi, I haven't given up!) and you might find some of them useful.

I dare say that PS2 games editing deserves its own thread. ;)

Not after the flag-removing efforts, no. It still won't work. So just persevering with the flags, unfortunately. :-/

Kits and badges are good, but I'm looking for a Tango ball. The balls in the game suck. Unpopular opinion but I hate the Roteiro!

I agree that there's a need for a PS2 editing thread, at least. Mentioned it in this thread and the the editing section. It's a lost art.

Yeah that was me. I don't know what file it would be on for PES 2008, probably similar I expect. It's been a while now since I did it but I think it was the one that has various stuff on it like the player cursor and positions, or if not that one then very close to it file number wise. I can try to find it if you need to know.
I have found where it is but just not sure how to edit it. Like you said it has various stuff on it whereas the logos and emblems are just one item.

I'm trying on that too! I've done inserting player into the database (I got the HEX of the player from no option file needed) and it works!! But it's hard to relink the appearance since I don't know anything about the location of the appearance (also the preset face and the hairstyle are different with the PES6 and WE10. But still I don't know how to relink the kits (not the importing, it needs something like Waterloo's tool)

I have found where it is but just not sure how to edit it. Like you said it has various stuff on it whereas the logos and emblems are just one item.

You have to make it all transparent. I'm no graphic expert by any means, I just got the black 'transparent' colour with the tool to get a colour and then 'painted' over the arrows and then saved. I expect there's better ways but it worked!

PES3/WE7 heads: is there any difference between the WE7I (US) and the WE7I (J) versions? The release dates for the PS2 versions were only two days apart.
Yes. I’m sure the J version is a lot further ahead despite the minor release date difference. The easy example is the Cristiano Ronaldo face. I’m sure he is still generic in the US version. He was added to the J version. Based on that alone, I’d say the gameplay in the US version isn’t as refined as the J.

I have played them both but never spent too much time on the US version as the J has always been the WE7PES3 pinnacle. IMO.

PES3/WE7 heads: is there any difference between the WE7I (US) and the WE7I (J) versions? The release dates for the PS2 versions were only two days apart.

Don't have much advance on what @Shales said, other than to flag up arguably minor differences but ones that really elevate the Japanese version for me: the ability for the keeper to drop the ball and for that ball to be an Adidas Tricolore.

I'd have the Japanese version as a true, refined revision of WE7, and the US version as PES3 by a different name. If I had 15 minutes to live, I'd tell my family I love them, and play the Japanese version of Winning Eleven 7 International. It's my numero uno.

As I often gush, we're in such a fortunate position now - through emulation - that you don't have to take anyone's word for it. Get yourself to CD Romance, download 'em both and let the good times roll!

You have to make it all transparent. I'm no graphic expert by any means, I just got the black 'transparent' colour with the tool to get a colour and then 'painted' over the arrows and then saved. I expect there's better ways but it worked!

:LOL: I haven't got a clue about how the graphics work. I can’t really figure out ‘layers’ in photo shop and the amount of times i have to look up the word ‘opacity’ to work out how to make a logo transparent. :LOL:

When i think i have worked it out with one logo, i try exactly the same steps for another one and it ends up having a white background instead of a transparent one. :(

I guess with the ‘arrows’ i have to save the image and open it up in photoshop?

Then. as you say, paint over it with black ‘transparent’ paint (that sounds confusing straight away for me :LOL: )

On the idea of a PS2 editing thread, i would love to start it and update the first post with links etc. But i don’t really have the time to manage it and keep it up to date.

20210804_231532.jpg

So I've gone through every team now. Jamaica and Saudi Arabia threw some curve balls. There are probably way more that are wrong but I didn't look as intently as I might've - what I don't know can't hurt me!

It's rough as fuck, but I can share the ISO and option file. If somebody could help me refine it and fix some of the errors I'm all ears, especially if they can show me, an idiot, how!

On the idea of a PS2 editing thread, i would love to start it and update the first post with links etc. But i don’t really have the time to manage it and keep it up to date.

Snap. :-(

Back
Top Bottom