The Retro-PES Corner

Title frenzy #2 - WEFA Championships final

2LVyRIU.jpg

After our Masters Cup win last season, ML United conquers the WEFA Championships trophy for the first time ever in its history.
Galatasaray dominated the first 20 minutes, scored the 0-1 early on - and could've scored many more on those 20 min. period - but suddenly, Gutierrez happened. He singlehandedly carried us to a win that looked absolutely unlikely given our exhibition on the first half. Gutierrez scored an hattrick, then Sousa confirmed the 4-1 win for us.

2 league fixtures to be played:
ML United 64 pts
Galatasaray 62 pts

Fixtures to be played: vs. Nancy and vs. River Plate.

D1 Cup - check
WEFA Championships - check
D1 League - ???

@rockstrongo , bro, I strongly advise you hunt down some official Sony Playstation 2 controllers and the reason is simple as the matters dude pointed out, the old tosh knock-off controllers have analogue sticks that snap like rotten wood and the Playstation 2 controllers can survive a nuclear (or scandinavian :shiver:) winter if you have a couple in use and switch between them and clean them of dust and stuff.

I have three, a blue one, a black one and a silver one and all still work still after ten years or more of PES playing later.
:SAL::SAL::SAL:

@rockstrongo , bro, I strongly advise you hunt down some official Sony Playstation 2 controllers and the reason is simple as the matters dude pointed out, the old tosh knock-off controllers have analogue sticks that snap like rotten wood and the Playstation 2 controllers can survive a nuclear (or scandinavian :shiver:) winter if you have a couple in use and switch between them and clean them of dust and stuff.

I have three, a blue one, a black one and a silver one and all still work still after ten years or more of PES playing later.
:SAL::SAL::SAL:
It's gonna be my priority mate,get a proper slim PS2 and original controllers for sure.
I'm wheeling and dealing a few guys right now for their stuff.
Hopefully I'm set in a few days
Cheers mate
(I only have rain in my winters nowadays southern Sweden like living in a haze nov-march)

It's gonna be my priority mate,get a proper slim PS2 and original controllers for sure.
I'm wheeling and dealing a few guys right now for their stuff.
Hopefully I'm set in a few days
Cheers mate
(I only have rain in my winters nowadays southern Sweden like living in a haze nov-march)

Jesus man, global warming is scary sh_t. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

@WhoAteMeDinner Big Sam swears by them, although with his the long pass button does tend to wear out rather quickly :)

@mattmid , and the :l1: button too as Big Sam likes those big lads that are not the most mobile and you need to hit them direct on the forehead with the cross.

As for your post last page about Premier League clubs stockpiling or as I call it warehousing (as they may disappear without a trace). It has gotten completely out of hand. The likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs just scoop up every talented young player as a blocking move to stop any other club getting them. Half the time, they have zero interest in developing these young players and loan them out to League 1 and League 2 sides season after season.

Premier League murdered football in 1992. :RANT::RANT::RANT:

@miguelfcp congrats on the WEFA victory man :APPLAUD:! Must have felt special after all this seasons.

And now with the D1 League ending. Just curious, what you'll gonna do if you indeed win it all now? Do you have other goals, or you'll just start something different anew?

That must be when they film all those detective series, I've yet to see the sun in any of them :LOL:

@WhoAteMeDinner Yep, you have Chelsea having something like 30 players out on loan every season, it's a complete joke. The thing is these players they loan out to Lge 1 and 2 is exactly where the end up as they are no better than the young lads that have come through there. They're coming on loan, playing with similar age player's who've already played 50-100 pro games and they've either never played anything but under 23 games or a handful of games from a previous loan. They need to limit the amount of player's a team can have at any age group.

@miguelfcp Congratulations! What an achievement! Two games away from the Treble! If Zamenhof's still there and you have it sewn up late on he has to have his moment doesn't he? It's was fate all along :)

@Madmac79: Thanks Mad, it definitely did, particularly for our default crowd. I had never won any major competition with them in my history of playing PES...
I thought of that too, if I win the league I'll have won every possible trophy on ML (D1, D2, D1/2 Cup, Masters Cup and Championships). Typically I'd finish the save but this time...I don't know, even if I win it all I think I'll continue. 9 seasons in you'd think one would be losing interest on the save but the more I play the more I love this journey. Even though I definitely have more ideas for more ML saves, I'm hooked on this one for now.

@miguelfcp , or El Hefe del PES, from now on. To win the treble, D 1 Cup, WEFA Cup and League title with the default players is astounding. No matter how long you have persevered with player development, it is not like any of these fictional journeymen ever turn into Roberto Baggio or Adriano. They are limited in the extreme early and only become "meh" standard after several seasons.

Chapeau mate. :WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP:

Ha ha yes,very true,except this year where may-august have been Sahara like

Morrissey was right, we are buggered, wildfires inside the Arctic Circle. We are in the end times, repent, repent.

:PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:

A world war
Was announced
Days ago
But they didn't know
The lazy sunbathers
The lazy sunbathers
The sun burns through
To the planet's core
And it isn't enough
They want more

@WhoAteMeDinner: Thanks mate! A few defaults become interesting players, such as Ordaz or Hamsun, while Gutierrez and El Moubarki are one step ahead of any other, both could play for any top team in the ML World. Those 2 I'd say are world class by now, and my newgen CB Jackson too.

I would do it if he was around, but he never is! Zamenhof learnt the Art of Zamenhofing with the samurai, and uses those ninja skills to evade anything more than just collecting his (generous) paycheck. Still waiting for the day when he finally commits seppuku and retires, though given he's The Zamenhof, creator of the verb to zamenhof, I bet we won't even notice it.

Picking up my controller for my PS3 tomorrow,so in the meantime I'll throw a smashing goal your way on my Pes 17 ML.
A strong "Goal of the week" candidate.
Not impressive you say?
Beg to differ,it's a smashing own goal by Roussillon of AC Milan.
"Don't worry lads I got this..."

I feel like we should go beyond "sim" and "arcade" to define this games, honestly. Fact is that there isn't a single football title in all history you can call a 100% sim attempt, so it just comes down to what simulative elements you personally consider the most important. Could be tactics, environment, players characterization and so on. But they are so many sides in the sports to reproduce and we all have our tastes.
Completely arcade to me it's Virtua Striker, or one of those random coin ops with super shoots and the such. It's out of place with Pes and even with the last ten years Fifa (like it or not).Even if I consider the same ISS as a lighter title than any Pes, it still has considerably deep component to be just boxed as "arcade".

p.s. of course I'm just talking about games in which you actually control the players, or else you could make a good argument of Football Manager and similar games being full simulations.

Exactly!

Another thing I love about the N64 versions is how game-play is not interrupted with cut scenes in free-kick, throw-in and foul situations. The only cut scenes are when the referee warns or books a player. One thing I dislike about modern PES is the excessive cut scenes before free kicks. The CPU actually commits fouls and weather is dynamic.

There is also a fantastic organic sequence that happens from time to time after a player is fouled near the opposition goal: the camera travels and shifts angle as two players line-up (one of the picks and places the ball) to take the kick.

Check out the following video (I suck at playing with the keyboard, I'm The Netherlands):

- Notice the pace of the game
- Notice the dynamic weather and how it stops raining after Italy's second goal
- Notice the pre free kick sequence at 3:32 (Seedorf)
- A lot of other nice details

One thing I dislike about modern PES is the excessive cut scenes before free kicks

Some nice things in there. The only modern PES I have (17) these cut scenes/replays drive me mad. They take so long, you can't instantly get out of them like in the older one's and they are after every single foul no matter how minor it might have been. It's almost a relief there's not many fouls. A minor foul, whirling pes 17 logo, ref wanders up to player, pulls out card, over the top acting from the player as if he's never seen a yellow card before in his life, another whirring logo, a replay of the tap on the ankles. Oh and now we can get back to the game.

@rockstrongo Quality finish! :LOL:

@WhoAteMeDinner Morrissey may well be right, but he really needs to cheer up. :D

- Notice the pace of the game
- Notice the dynamic weather and how it stops raining after Italy's second goal
- Notice the pre free kick sequence at 3:32 (Seedorf)
- A lot of other nice details
Indeed those N64 games were a joy to play. I loved ISS 64 to the extent that I chose 'Kleimann' as my first username here, due to him being in both the original SNES game(s) and then in ISS 64, and played ISS 98 beyond any sensible limit. Damn I miss those days... :CRY:

@fmicablues7 , pal, do you have a Playstation 2 as well and play Retro-PES on it ?

I do have a PS2, but i don't play any game on it because it looks really sh**** on my modern TV, even with the component cables. I saw there are some hdmi converters for PS2, i don't know if it is worth it. Btw, the guys playing on PS2, do you play on a cathode-ray tube screen or on a modern tv?

I do have a PS2, but i don't play any game on it because it looks really sh**** on my modern TV, even with the component cables. I saw there are some hdmi converters for PS2, i don't know if it is worth it. Btw, the guys playing on PS2, do you play on a cathode-ray tube screen or on a modern tv?

I would really love if you could bring yourself to hook up the three component cables of your Playstation 2 to your HD television and give the likes of PES 2 and PES 3 especially a go on it. I have a Panasonic Viera TV that is only about five years old and PES 3 plays and looks great in SD format 480i NTSC 60 Hz mode, all flatscreen LED / LCD modern televisions will support this mode.
Getting long winded now, apologies, but the reason for the NTSC mode is important as it means faster and sharper screen response to controller inputs and the ball movement is also more refined.
And finally, set the flatscreen television to game mode, most of the makes have that screen option and the dreaded LCD / LED ball movement lag or stagger will be removed.

@fmicablues7 , give it a try and you will see that losing HD resolution is a good exchange for the superb and immediate gameplay of the Playstation 2. Remember PES was designed for Playstation consoles.

Playing PES 6 2018 patch Man Utd master league with match mode players, can't quite match the hardcore element of playing with default mode players, but definitely an enjoyable mode, love the focus on player development, always looking to sign the young guns even though I'm playing as Man U. However theres something about playing patched PES 6 with all stadiums, clive tyldsley commentating and hd turfs etc that takes away from the character of the original version. If any of these older versions had 360 passing and movement i would never consider newer iterations

@loco continuous gameplay was indeed an incredible feature. To this day I think nobody else ever re introduct it on that degree.. it was so immersive to play with basically no black screen between actions.

Iss had a lot of great ideas, for example I remember crosses and long balls to be super free (felt almost manual), the automatic ball shielding (concept still unparalleled to me), the weather significantly impacting players and field. There was also the motivation level but I've never understood how much it truly influenced games.

I think as a saga it would have had much more success if there was some modality with team clubs, also the fact N64 had less success than Psx contributed to it being way less popular than Iss Pro.

@loco continuous gameplay was indeed an incredible feature. To this day I think nobody else ever re introduct it on that degree.. it was so immersive to play with basically no black screen between actions.

Iss had a lot of great ideas, for example I remember crosses and long balls to be super free (felt almost manual), the automatic ball shielding (concept still unparalleled to me), the weather significantly impacting players and field. There was also the motivation level but I've never understood how much it truly influenced games.

I think as a saga it would have had much more success if there was some modality with team clubs, also the fact N64 had less success than Psx contributed to it being way less popular than Iss Pro.

Indeed, modern PES games do have motivation but have never experienced the full effect of them during matches. Another thing I really like about these N64 games is how the stadium lighting is actually pretty spot on for every stadium for both day and night, and you feel you're actually playing at Olympiastadion Munchen or De Kuip for example.

(...) If any of these older versions had 360 passing and movement i would never consider newer iterations
Exodus 20:1-17
And God spoke all these words, saying:
“I am the Lord-of-retro-PES your God, who brought you out of the land of Japan, out of the house of slavery to the disappointing modern football games into the light of retro-PES.
- Thou shalt accept about the 8-direction movement of retro-PES games. If God had wanted football games to have 360-movement he would've call it "real-life", not "PES".

God's words to Moses, not mine!

Back
Top Bottom