The Retro-PES Corner

For people using emulators to play older PES games, apparently rom sites are being taken down :(

Since buying a new telly yesterday I needed to test out a game on my Xbox one,and I gave my trusty old Pes 17 a go.
6 seasons on it,then a restart and now I'm on my 3rd ML season.
Always had a soft spot for this game.
Good defending being one,and also quite physical,always get freekicks,which was a shock when playing 18.

Anyway Juventus att home with my Milan
Turned out to be a real fun game,won it 3-2,had control all the way up til the 80th minute when .Pogba (the good player from Juve,wonder what happened to him?) decided to score twice,two good goals,one being aa freekick.
Felt good playing a "modern" retro game again,and will play it every now and then

Question for anyone on a PES 2013 ML: Are you doing anything to avoid the rapid over-development of players in ML?

I remember it only taking a few seasons to have youths at 90+ rated. Do you use a rule to avoid this or even have player development switched off?

Cheers.

Question for anyone on a PES 2013 ML: Are you doing anything to avoid the rapid over-development of players in ML?

I remember it only taking a few seasons to have youths at 90+ rated. Do you use a rule to avoid this or even have player development switched off?

Cheers.

Every thing I hear from evo peeps here about recent PES games makes me even more relieved to have not bought a PES edition after PES 2010 and that was a :TD::TD::TD:.

And btw what on earth is MyClub ? Keep seeing it mentioned in posts. Is it a way to extract cash from suckers by any chance ?

Konami.....:NONO::NONO::NONO:

PES 3 Playstation 2 ML Update (800 pts salary cap save):

Top of table after eight games, six wins and two losses and into round two of the Division 1 Cup. What I love most about this game is the infinite dynamic nature of the gameplay. Totally unpredicatable and free flowing.

For some strange reason, my squad Lombardia (Inter), which has not changed almost at all since last season and a mid-table mediocre run and terrible Cup final loss, is now flying. Just won a league game 6 - 0 (at five star difficulty as always) and should have scored a few more.

And the realism is superb as several of the top performing players are already heavily fatigued after just a third of the season, the DMFs and SBs who do most of the running are all shattered, and no artificial condition regulation bolloxology either in this wonderful game.

I've found a way for not having stuttering at all playing PCSX2:

You need to download Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner depending on your gfx card. I've tried with Nvidia Inspector, there's also two or three others programs like this.
> The program MUST have a "Fps limiter" included in, it's the only thing that matters.

I've tried with some games: PES1, WE5FE (italian translation, didn't found an english one), PES2, WE6FE (english translated), WE2007JL (english translated), WE9 (english translated).
Most of the games which are PS2 exclusive, i didn't give a try yet for every games.

So you pick and choose the PCSX2 program that would be on the list (at least on Nvidia Panel) or add it, and choose a frame limitation, PAL game on 50.2, NTSC games on 60.7 (there's no others choice than 59.7 or 60.7, it's an estimation). If the game is PAL, set it to 50.2, if it's NTSC 60.7.

-Now, on PCSX2, open the "Core GS parameters", and disable the framelimiter: it's used from benchmark.
-But there's another issue with PES games: most of the shadows dissapears if you don't enable a HW hack.
You should go to the plugin video setting, "Enable HW hack" > "Configure hack" and enable "Alpha".

-There's others issues in some games: for example there's clipping on the hair's player makes polygons disappears... There's ways to fix it, but i don't know how i've made it...
Not sure about how to fix it, but it didn't work for WE6FE, as an example. No clipping at all in WE2007JL and J-League WE 2010, most "recent" games. But i need to retry it.

-Another thing related to emulation: input delay > there's some way to make it less pronouced, you should try parameters in the pad plugin, V-Sync etc.
PES1 have a slightly input delay, but it's less pronouced on WE5FE, and practically not an issue for most recent games (WE9, JL-WE2007, JL-WE10 etc.)

If you'e got an issue, there's always a way to try everything on PCSX2, even try to change the BIOS... Emulation isn't perfect, but very well playable.

Also, it's only for trying that i've downloaded some games on website: i will only play with the ones i've got like PES1, WE5FE, PES2, WE9. There's not really piracy talk here: but it's all about resolving issues on Emulator, if you don't own a PS2 anymore.
For the moment, i'm more in the PES1/PES2 and WE5FE, and WE9... Didn't have others games not anymore or in the past > only if you remember WE9 Asia Championship including many teams from Asia + both J-League 1/2, some europeans. ML was very fun to play with it.

Every thing I hear from evo peeps here about recent PES games makes me even more relieved to have not bought a PES edition after PES 2010 and that was a :TD::TD::TD:.

And btw what on earth is MyClub ? Keep seeing it mentioned in posts. Is it a way to extract cash from suckers by any chance ?

Konami.....:NONO::NONO::NONO:

lol there still are a few good iterations of PES 6 post golden era in PES 12 & 13, which were somewhat overlooked due to for many not reaching the standards of PES 5&6

PES 2010 with the double forward/forward feint was killing me in term of realism.
I didn't like PES 2008 to 2010 that much. Prefers 2011/12/13 by far.
Fifa side, i've liked the 10 with 360 degree, but there was a but with goalkeeper and lobs...

Fixed on Fifa 11, perhaps my favorite Fifa of that time...
But playing it now, with those precalculated Celebrations with all the players having the same height but different faces, and some many others things like players models and proportions, makes the game not very aged as well as PES 11 in my opinion, even if it was only 16 directionnals vs 32 for Fifa.

I've found a way for not having stuttering at all playing PCSX2:

You need to download Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner depending on your gfx card. I've tried with Nvidia Inspector, there's also two or three others programs like this.
> The program MUST have a "Fps limiter" included in, it's the only thing that matters.

I've tried with some games: PES1, WE5FE (italian translation, didn't found an english one), PES2, WE6FE (english translated), WE2007JL (english translated), WE9 (english translated).
Most of the games which are PS2 exclusive, i didn't give a try yet for every games.

So you pick and choose the PCSX2 program that would be on the list (at least on Nvidia Panel) or add it, and choose a frame limitation, PAL game on 50.2, NTSC games on 60.7 (there's no others choice than 59.7 or 60.7, it's an estimation). If the game is PAL, set it to 50.2, if it's NTSC 60.7.

-Now, on PCSX2, open the "Core GS parameters", and disable the framelimiter: it's used from benchmark.
-But there's another issue with PES games: most of the shadows dissapears if you don't enable a HW hack.
You should go to the plugin video setting, "Enable HW hack" > "Configure hack" and enable "Alpha".

-There's others issues in some games: for example there's clipping on the hair's player makes polygons disappears... There's ways to fix it, but i don't know how i've made it...
Not sure about how to fix it, but it didn't work for WE6FE, as an example. No clipping at all in WE2007JL and J-League WE 2010, most "recent" games. But i need to retry it.

-Another thing related to emulation: input delay > there's some way to make it less pronouced, you should try parameters in the pad plugin, V-Sync etc.
PES1 have a slightly input delay, but it's less pronouced on WE5FE, and practically not an issue for most recent games (WE9, JL-WE2007, JL-WE10 etc.)

If you'e got an issue, there's always a way to try everything on PCSX2, even try to change the BIOS... Emulation isn't perfect, but very well playable.

Also, it's only for trying that i've downloaded some games on website: i will only play with the ones i've got like PES1, WE5FE, PES2, WE9. There's not really piracy talk here: but it's all about resolving issues on Emulator, if you don't own a PS2 anymore.
For the moment, i'm more in the PES1/PES2 and WE5FE, and WE9... Didn't have others games not anymore or in the past > only if you remember WE9 Asia Championship including many teams from Asia + both J-League 1/2, some europeans. ML was very fun to play with it.

Interesting things. If you find again the way to fix clipping on the player's hair, tell us, it's the only problem i have with PES 2008-2014 ps2.

I never tried WE2007JL and WE9Jap, how did these version compare to PES 5 and 6 ?

Cheers.
I'm not really signing youth players,as a house rule,just like Ive done on all Pes games.
I've always had house rules in PES,trying not to explore flaws, glitches,or just keeping it realistic.
Like not signing players from countries that normally won't play in Serie A for instance.

@rockstrongo After replaying a bit pretty much all the "next gen" titles, I still think 2017 is the best among them. Challenging but not frustrating, heavily influenceable with tactics, solid cpu defending and most of all very physical. It still lacks most of the old games fundamentals, but that's the only one I played several ML seasons with and I gladly revisit it when I want something more modern.

I know that many would harshly disagree, but after all I don't think I've seen real consensus on any "next gen" game.. I mean, there isn't a PES3 or PES5 in this era that can make everybody objectively agree, so in the end from 14 onwards it comes to which flaws and styles you can subjectively swallow best.

@rockstrongo After replaying a bit pretty much all the "next gen" titles, I still think 2017 is the best among them. Challenging but not frustrating, heavily influenceable with tactics, solid cpu defending and most of all very physical. It still lacks most of the old games fundamentals, but that's the only one I played several ML seasons with and I gladly revisit it when I want something more modern.

I know that many would harshly disagree, but after all I don't think I've seen real consensus on any "next gen" game.. I mean, there isn't a PES3 or PES5 in this era that can make everybody objectively agree, so in the end from 14 onwards it comes to which flaws and styles you can subjectively swallow best.
Very true,it's all down to which flaws you can tolerate.
Also,I'm quite ok with playing a modern and an older game at the same time,gives me a lot of insight on how the games work.
For instance,I haven't played 17 in a long time,but coming from 12/13 I played my 17 different than I used to do.
Calmer,less frantic up and down,felt refreshing.
Plus I've realised that I need to mix my ML's between different games,otherwise I just see the flaws after "nerding in" on them.
The only thing keeping me from not playing Pes 12-13-14 right now is the god awful PS3 controller,it's a nightmare compared to my cosy xb1 controller.
Even gave my FIFA titles a go last night

Interesting things. If you find again the way to fix clipping on the player's hair, tell us, it's the only problem i have with PES 2008-2014 ps2.

I never tried WE2007JL and WE9Jap, how did these version compare to PES 5 and 6 ?

The WE2007JL have no national teams, but J1-J2 league and all championship from Europe with roster up to date in comparison to PES 6 and some few others teams.
There isn't Bundesliga but Bayern and Dortmund.

WE9JAP have the roster from the end of 2003-04 season, and we've played it a long time ago in a league with few buddy one day a week (great times). The game is perhaps the most challenging or defensive PES ever.

When PES 5 cames out at the time, i remember that some guys from the old french forum i was member of, was complaining about PES 5 being an offensive (the most harcore players even says "arcade") version of WE9 jap: more direct play, less cutting line etc.
Here, i always readed that PES5 was the best PES from that era, but for me it's clearly WE9 jap PS2 version.

Hair clipping is very ennoying, i don't have those 2008-2014 PS2 version... On PES2/WE6 it's very pronounced. If somoene find a solution, a hack of whatever, it would be nice to share.

For the moment i only play PES1 and WE5FE, and there's some on them too, but not alwas, and it doesn't make a big problem and still very playable.
But PES/WE5FE are very challenging too, i really like the "chess-football" game style. You've got less freedom and practically no space, controls are hard to master, but it's a totally different game representation, "unique" in the way you play it i would say.
Always been a big fan of that game.

Last edited:
The WE2007JL have no national teams, but J1-J2 league and all championship from Europe with roster up to date in comparison to PES 6 and some few others teams.
There isn't Bundesliga but Bayern and Dortmund.

WE9JAP have the roster from the end of 2003-04 season, and we've played it a long time ago in a league with few buddy one day a week (great times). The game is perhaps the most challenging or defensive PES ever.

When PES 5 cames out at the time, i remember that some guys from the old french forum i was member of, was complaining about PES 5 being an offensive (the most harcore players even says "arcade") version of WE9 jap: more direct play, less cutting line etc.
Here, i always readed that PES5 was the best PES from that era, but for me it's clearly WE9 jap PS2 version.

Hair clipping is very ennoying, i don't have those 2008-2014 PS2 version... On PES2/WE6 it's very pronounced. If somoene find a solution, a hack of whatever, it would be nice to share.

For the moment i only play PES1 and WE5FE, and there's some on them too, but not alwas, and it doesn't make a big problem and still very playable.
But PES/WE5FE are very challenging too, i really like the "chess-football" game style. You've got less freedom and practically no space, controls are hard to master, but it's a totally different game representation, "unique" in the way you play it i would say.
Always been a big fan of that game.

Are there any differences between WE9JAP and WE9 J-League ? Or is it the same game ?
PES5/WE9I/WE9LE were great games, but the cpu become harmless in attack after getting used to them, is it the same for WE9JAP ?

I see what you mean about "chess-football". I think it applies also to PES 3 in a way, even though it was a more free game than PES 1, the space was still limited compared to the further iterations on PS2.

WE9 J-league Asia Championship (JLW9AC) was out after PES 5 that's the only difference i know... But exactly the same gameplay as PES5, with licence for some asian teams. No licence for europeans clubs, they're all under fake names.
Here's the right order, i've just checked, i was confused about

-Winning eleven 9 jap (out 5 month before PES5 > different gameplay, National teams and Europe teams, no J-League)
-PES 5
-J-league Winning eleven 9 : Asia championship > out on 17/11/05 (two month after PES 5 > same gameplay)
-PES 6
-J-league winning eleven 10 + europa league 06-07 (out 1 month after PES 6 on europe > same gameplay)
-J-league winning eleven 2007 : club championship (out 2 august 2007, 7 month after PES 6 > updated roster and different gameplay)
-PES 2008

As you can see, when there's mentionned "J-league", well, J-league is in, otherwise not. It's the pre-version of PES. It's like a spin-off version.

There's also american version of PES 3,4,5,6, but they've got exactly the same rosters and gameplay.
Only the name was changed to Winning Eleven, like Winning Eleven 2007 is exactly the same as PES 6 for america.

Last edited:

As you can see, there's a "fantasista" mode. It was the first version from Become a Legend, was out even before Be a pro from Fifa, inspired by "Libero Grande" game.

:!:!:!

Sorry, same question as at the weekend, who is still playing Retro-PES games on a physical Playstation 2 ?

Would like to gather a list of players to discuss unique Playstation 2 gameplay elements.

As you can see, there's a "fantasista" mode. It was the first version from Become a Legend, was out even before Be a pro from Fifa, inspired by "Libero Grande" game.

Fascinating video for me, @vialli82 , as the game menus at the start are actually much more in the theme of PES 5 and PES 6. And even the on the pitch graphics are different to PES 3 (European Playstation 2). But happily one look at the gameplay itself is pure PES 3, the ball flies through the air at speed and darts about on the deck like a marble on glass.

PES 3 is the only game that truly captures the dynamic nature of the the football itself.
:BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF:

It's "the last" PES 6 version, if you play it a bit, it give more a feeling of a "between" PES 5 and PES 6, or should i could say the best of both world.

Even if they created PES 2008 on ps2, the gameplay is slightly different than this one, i've tried both on PS2.
For me, PES 2008 is the maximum level pushing of what they could do with a PS2 version, not talking about faces etc. but ball physics, flow, mastered gameplay and fixes to old bugs.

PES 2008 to PES 2014 if i remember well shares the same gameplay, and it was another teams who were in charge of that version, while the others was on PS360 version.

To rectify:
J-League W9 Asia championship is an AFC based WE9, but not only. It's one of the most different WE to play in terms of rosters and game structure, if you want to made a Master League. The main issue is all links from patches are down, even translation patchs :((

It features:
Part 1 (Asia)
-Licenced 1st and 2nd Division for J-league, but also Korea both divisions licenced too!
-Teams from Asia : AFC clubs, but not only. It features teams that could have been qualified for AFC in the game, from premilinary stage. Don't know if they're semi licenced, no logo or kits with fakes players names.

Part 2 (Europe)
-Europe A teams : 3 teams from bundesliga, 3 teams from Ligue 1, 4 teams from Premier league, 5 teams for Serie A.
Only all serie A teams, Arsenal and Chelsa are licenced.
-Europe B teams: 3 teams from Eredivisie, 3 teams from spain, Sparta praha, both unlicenced (real stats/fake names and face to correct)
The others are Galatasaray, Celtic, Rangers, D. Kiev, Porto, all licenced.

Part 4 (South America)
4 unlicenced teams appears unlicenced on it 2 brasilian teams, 2 argentina (of course River Plate and Boca Jr.
There's no WE united or PES united to edit.
But i correct what i've said later, this version also features ALL National teams

The structure is different from the "J-League 2007 Club edition" or even "Winning Eleven 10 : JL Edition", which feature clubs only and full leagues and sames clubs that you can get in PES 6... So same club structure, but with perhaps 4 or 5 others euro club in more.

Anyone here buying PES 19?
I'm not,for the first time in a long time.
Skipped Pes 14 for various reasons (waiting for next gen)
Not sure if I'm getting FIFA 19 either,played 3-4 games yesterday and got bored out of my mind after the last one,tried FIFA 17 again and it feels better.
So I guess no new games this season
Pes 19 because of no D2

Anyone here buying PES 19?
From first reviews seems that ML has the same issues with last year.This combined with an embargo “essence” I have this year leads to “possibly” NOT. I will only buy IF:
1) The gameplay is really awesome as it is described in the demo hype
2)Guys I respect from here confirm that there are physics in-game
3)The AI tries to simulate real football and not become an Arcade coin op platform game
4)The game stays decent after first updates and dlc
5)If they make true some of their promises.I don’t really believe they will even add anything via dlc as they are promising.Just fake promises.
All the above must run simultaneously to make me buy the game.If I want a no-collisions highlights machine I still have PES2018 which is pretty the same with extra content 4 2nd divisions for prom/releg inML. ;)

I downloaded the demo about a week or so ago on steam, haven't touched it yet. I think that tells me it's unlikely! I will play the demo at some point and if the gameplay is great then I might pick it up when it's on sale (Got pes17 for £10 on sale) at some point. But I doubt it somehow. Certainly won't be shelling out £50 for it or whatever it is this year.

Enjoying the retro pes's far too much anyway :) Konami and EA desperately need a competitor.

I won't get Pes 2019. A good number of reasons to not do so.

First of all it just isn't targeted to me as a single player customer. The care for the offline experience is embarassing, as we already know with the lack of ML novelties and the removal of two second divisions.

But even looking just at the field, while there are some improvements from 18, I just don't see/feel anything worth the buy. First touch error is somehow even duller and absent than last year, goalkeepers are horribly glued to their goaline, IA isn't really nothing to write home about (at least from what I'm seeing in full game streams) and more important than all, stats aren't still nearly as relevant as they should be.

Konami doesn't care at all for our feedback so the only way to be heard is to not buy the game. And even if not buy the game won't still change stuff about their decisions, at least I'll have the personal satisfaction of not gifting my money to a company that doesn't hold my tastes as important as others.

There are literally thousands and thousands of hours in the old games, I don't get why I should settle for something expressely focused on an experience completely different from the one I'm searching.

Konami and EA desperately need a competitor.
Oh yes, Matt. This above all. I truly feel the need for somebody else concept of football to come out.
We say it every year - and every year there's nothing. But I get it.

FIFA will always have all the major licenses, so that's the "casual" football fan sold. PES has a really dedicated fanbase who love PES-style gameplay (not just football), so that's a big chunk of people who will always buy PES (anything else "just isn't PES"). So you'd have to rely on a third group, hardcore nerds (that's us, let's face it) who don't care so much about licenses and have an open-enough mind to buy another game. There's not many of us.

However, 2K have just picked up The Golf Club - a (sort-of) indie golf game. Maybe they're expanding their portfolio...

Konami doesn't care at all for our feedback so the only way to be heard is to not buy the game. And even if not buy the game won't still change stuff about their decisions, at least I'll have the personal satisfaction of not gifting my money to a company that doesn't hold my tastes as important as others.

@Madmac79 Honestly, the main guys from Konami Japan have never read a single post from this forum. So this is not the right place to give feedback since developers and producers don't "hang-out" here.

Back
Top Bottom