The Retro-PES Corner

@Madmac79: It'll feel more like a playoff round of the NBA with all those matches vs. Benfica than actual football! One on hand it can be tiring to meet the same team but on the other this is the stuff that creates those fierce rivalries - even if it's just in your head while you're playing.
You're absolutely right, that ecosystem you spoke of becomes even more alive as you spend more seasons on your save as the CPU teams have to deal with aging and retiring players, transfers in and out...I checked Bayern and their whole starting-11 is comprised of players over 30! They have no more than 5/6 players under the age of 30 in their roster. This is really interesting, because different teams really do have different approaches on managing their rosters.

So far so good, we won the D1 Cup round vs Benfica (lost on the first leg 3-2, then won 2-0 at home). Up next is the WEFA Championships against them too, the NBA Playoff continues!

Is it just me or does early 2000s aesthetic just brilliant?

It's actually 17 years since Windows XP released and its work-of-art-like aesthetic makes it remind me of PES 3's highlights theme to be honest...

I know exactly what you mean @Rayemou , pal, the early 2000s were a golden era for gaming, the best RTS and football games ever made were released back then and the PES 3 opening theme video and brillinat manga-style music could well be a part of the Windows XP look and feel.

PES 3 (Playstation 2) Master League (800 pts salary cap save) Season Four in Division 1 round-up:

No excuses and no other ifs, buts or maybes, just was not good enough, have lost second Cup Final in two seasons with a crushing 1 - 4 loss in the prestigious (and my favourite) Masters' Cup Final to Hanseaton, (Hamburger SV).

Finished mid-table in the league and the defense is like a sieve, nothing stops a good COM attack it seems, need to completely re-think the formation, tactics, additional players from square one.
:CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Playstation 2 (Hardware) census.

If not too much trouble, can everyone who is playing Retro-PES editions on a physical Playstation 2 reply to this post. Going to start a sub-group chat maybe for all things Playsatation 2 and PES related.

Thanks. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

@WhoAteMeDinner Time for Big Sam, Mr Dinner. For just a few million he'll keep you up in D1. As long as you're not playing in an indoors stadium cos that roof will play hell with those high balls. :D

@rsl1 And that's a hell of first entry! :) Good old Peter Withe.

I know, I was both amazed and over the moon when it went in. I love that it just starts to dip as it goes in.
I can't decide which angle I like best so I left all 3 in lol.

I have just edited my first couple of matches and will try and upload them tomorrow, pretty happy with the highlights tbh

So,after a day of thinking Pes 13 or 12,both great in their own way, life took the decision for me.
TV went bye bye...
Ain't life great sometimes:)

@rockstrongo , That blows man, I thinks PES ML extended campaigns have fried a couple of my tellies in the past too. A 4K screen does seem a tad over the top for a 480i NTSC 60 Hz resolution on the old Playstation 2 I agree. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

@WhoAteMeDinner Time for Big Sam, Mr Dinner. For just a few million he'll keep you up in D1. As long as you're not playing in an indoors stadium cos that roof will play hell with those high balls. :D

@mattmid , matters buddy, Big Sam left last season as I could not afford the "full Big Sam experience" any longer, those millions on his retinue of coaches, physios, diet experts, pro-zone button tappers finally came to a head, quite literally, when Macco nutted one of the diet experts.
:SS:SS:SS

@rockstrongo , That blows man, I thinks PES ML extended campaigns have fried a couple of my tellies in the past too. A 4K screen does seem a tad over the top for a 480i NTSC 60 Hz resolution on the old Playstation 2 I agree. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:
Ha ha,yeah,over top properly. :)
Just installed the whole shebang,PS3/Xbox/ATV/box,sometimes I wish I had the old mum and dad TV on wheels

Ok so I had to restart my WE9LE master league for a couple of reasons.

Firstly I wanted to give recording and editing some videos a go and I hadn't figured out how to record videos when I first installed WE9LE.

Secondly @Madmac79 made a comment about the 1974 patch that made me realise that I had made a mistake when I added my classic Forest team. Basically he mentioned one of the things that he liked in the patch was that the global stats had been lowered for the teams which made them play more like older style teams. I basically added the 1978-79 team from another classic patch like for like and they were way better than a lot of the other British teams.
Because I had already started my ML and couldn't find an editor to lower the stats I sadly had to abandon the one that I described in my earlier post and start another. I have now lowered the stats to a level that is similar to the other British teams so it should be a lot more competitive (and harder)

Finally I realised that I could edit the teams in my starting D2 division so that they were all British teams. I had to include Rangers, Celtic and Shamrock Rovers (more on them shortly) to fill the slots but I now only have British teams in D1 & D2 which is a bit more realistic.

I still only have 22 players in my squad so will need to strengthen my squad mid season if possible and I am even more worried about Martin O'Neill as he was already tiring around the hour mark before I lowered his stats so he will be huffing and puffing even quicker now lol.

So I have now started my much fairer/even ML season and will endeavour to produce highlights for each match in turn.
I have saved footage from each match so far but don't have them all edited yet. The Peter Withe goal that I posted earlier in this thread is a match from the D2 cup from later in this ML for example.

With that in mind, I have edited highlight packages for the first few matches of the season and they are below.

I just need to explain a couple of things re the highlights. I have tried to make them look as good as possible without spending hours on the editing so I have created a very short 70's themed intro that I use with each package and tried to keep info like half time, substitutions as uniform as possible for continuity.
I experimented a bit with the cuts between highlights as I am not sure which I prefer yet.

The major thing is that you don't hear any actual sounds from the match as I didn't realise that Nvidia either lets you record everything or nothing sound wise. you can't switch off the microphone independently (or at least I can't see how to do so yet) so you either get no sounds at all or you get the match sounds plus my wife moaning about the ineptitude of the contestants on the Crystal Maze last night.

What I have done to compensate is add a different 70's track to each of the highlights so far to keep with the theme of the patch. Hopefully it's not too annoying...

First match of the season was at home against Cardiff City.
It was a disappointing 0-0 but was not shirt of chances. The first half was pretty uneventful so there aren't many highlights but in the second half both teams could have taken the lead with some better finishing. Cardiff even hot the bar early on in the second half but both sides kept a clean sheet.
If I was better at finishing I would have won the game but my shooting, especially from free kicks is pretty bad.

Here are the highlights:

Second match of the season was an away game against Celtic 9although I have the order wrong in the highlights as it says Nottingham Forest v Celtic not Celtic v Nottingham Forest).
Celtic hit the bar from a free kick early on but Peter Shilton in goal kept a second clean sheet in a row as Forest won 2-0 thanks to 2 first half set piece goals. Garry Birtles on 8 minutes with a beautiful, cross goal header that had the keeper grasping at air. Celtic again got the best out of Shilton as he made a tremendous double save but he stayed resolute and marshalled his goal well throughout.
A peach of a volley from Birtles (again) on 34 minutes from a Robertson corner put the Reds 2-0 up and it stayed that way into the break despite Celtic hitting the bar again in the closing seconds of the first half.
Both sides had half chances in the second half but didn't really make anything of them before Celtic were given what could quite possible be the softest penalty ever seen in English football. Barely any contact, player moving away from goal, not even sure if it is in the box of not but the referee (clearly a Derby fan) gives it regardless.
Jimmy Johnstone fluffs his lines big time and puts it low and wide as Shilton looks on thankfully as he hasn't even bothered to move!
A few more chances for Forest after that as Celtic see their hopes of getting back into the game slipping away. Including a great effort from Archie Gemmill from outside the box which brings the best out of the Celtic 'keeper.
Nothing comes of the chances and the whistle blows with Forest taking all 3 points which makes 4 points from the opening 6 available. Not a bad start really.

Here are the highlights:

Sitting 3rd in the table (although it's only 2 games in and there's only 8 teams in the league) but even so, it could be worse at this stage.

Next up is Shamrock Rovers at home.

The games are definitely much more competitive now that I have sorted out the stats so it was worth abandoning and restarting the ML I had already started.

Guys, I've started playing PES 5 again and damn, despite being technically very very old, it feels good.
I'm also considering doing some fantasy/custom kits for it (in the WE9 format so they can be used both for PES 5 and PES 6):

IWwbdDR.png

1Mo5yhv.png

GazpMQ7.png

OLeZ4RN.png

This is Senegal for example. I know they kinda look like teamwear, I'll maybe try to do something unique for the biggest national teams like Germany, France, Argentina... I'm still trying to create a 100% fake/fantasy PES 5 ML so also having fantasy kits could help. :)

@rsl1 Great stuff :) Only one complaint as we should be watching in black and white those kits would have clashed :LOL:

Haha, the 10 second intro is black and white but I thought the whole lot might be too much. I toyed with some sepia settings but it was a bit much.
The rest is in glorious 70's technicolour lol

WTF?? Zamenhof and Ivarov just retired halfway through the season! I played like 5-6 matches after the winter break and suddenly poof, retirement announcement from both.
In a way this is the most Zamenhof-like retirement: doesn't even wait for the season to end, doesn't even give a heads-up and cancels his contract.
I wanted to give him a proper farewell but you have to expect Zamenhof to be Zamenhof, and f*ck up my plans. So officially he ends his 9 and a half season with the club with 0 matches played - though eyewitnesses swear he played 10 minutes of a match, many years ago! - a total of 5 training sessions attended in 9 years and leaves with a fat PES Points account to spend the rest of his life god-knows-where. Oh and he somehow convinced Ivarov to go with him.

A citizen of the world. A bon-vivant. Full-time legend, part-time golfer, and ML United keeper according to our club's HR.
I'll never forget the first day I saw him in the locker room, because that was also one of the last times I'd see his face in 9 years.

Ordaz, Gutierrez and others will one day be fortunate enough to tell their grandsons that they once trained with him. Because you know, it's not a privilege to train with the best. Training with Gutierrez? With Jackson? With Stein? Pfff, that's easy, they show up for every single session. It's exhausting, the familiarity. Now to train with Zamenhof? Only a few can say they've ever accomplished that. Because he's rarely ever around.

Played 0 matches in 9 years. Some say he played 10 minutes of a match years ago, but no one can confirm or deny. 5 training sessions attended in 9 years.
But the legend goes beyond football - and thank God for that, otherwise I'd have to stop writing now. He created a language, oh yes he did, called Esperanto...whatever that is. Some call him Dr. Esperanto.
This has raised questions about his actual age.
446px-Zamenhof-1879.jpg
A picture taken in about 1879 raised inevitable questions: is Zamenhof immortal? Is he some kind of a God?
Maybe he's an alien? And if he is, why would he choose to become an ophthalmologist whose dark side is to create obscure languages; and then returning a century later as a mega-niihilistic low-low-low level goalkeeper? Are aliens dumb?

Yeah, laugh all you want. At least there's a day of the calendar to celebrate his legacy, what about you heh?
Zamenhof Day Yeah, in yo face.

But all of this was in his previous iteration, what about Zamenhof the keeper, what has he been doing over the last decade? People all over the world have been reporting Zamenhof-Sightings over the years but it seems the governments have been covering up those occurrences pretty well, as his identity was never officially revealed. Some say they've partied with him in Dubai, some say they played golf with him in Algarve, others saw him meditating in Tibet. Zamenhof-Skeptics deny it all and say he's just a player on a videogame. Partypoopers those skepticals.
The truth? No one quite knows for sure, but his legend will live on forever.
Nowadays skipping a day of work/school or leaving a certain venue or situation much earlier than other people expected is called "pulling a Zamenhof". Yesterday I Zamenhofed a girl who's desperate for those PES Points, fortunately my Shot Accuracy is low and my Top Speed stat is high (she was in love with my Shot Technique and Stamina though). Next time other people ask you where have you been all day because they couldn't reach you, instead of bothering with explaining everything, you can just say you Zamenhofed and lost track of time.
And now, I'll Zamenhof the hell out of here.

Zamenhof's career highlights

Goodbye legend, you'll be missed.

I thought they usually announce the retirement halfway through then go at the end of the season?

@miguelfcp Fascinating. I have some theories on our friend.

1) Zamenhof as a perpetual ? Pes in the same universe of Warhammer40K!?

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no stats relevance".

2) My already mentioned Pes is inside MGS simulations/universe theory.

So, Zamenhof as a camouflaged Big Boss? Legendary hero/criminal/mercenary state founder-leader 6 days a week, sitting in a football team bench the weekend just to chill? This would explain why he's nowhere to be found during the week. And why nobody really dares to contradict him.

3) Maybe there is some horrifying secret behind it. The fact he "retired" Ivarov too, makes me think he might be an alien as you said, kidnapping the poor russian guy for experiments; or some sort of lovecraftian, crazy cultist ready to sacrifice our beloved goalkeeper to his dark deities.

We'll only maybe know by playing more defaults MLs, I guess.

i-want-to-believe_a-G-8756872-0.jpg

@Titch: I've had players retiring only on the very last match of the season, with 5 matches to go, and now with 20-something matches before the end. Usually they announce it early on, by the second-half of the season and retire much later, but Zamenhof and Ivarov retired just 5-6 weeks after the announcement, never seen anything like that before.

@mattmid: Zamenhof forced to play every game? I think the game would glitch, the disk would break and the PS2 itself would brick. You can't Un-Zamenhof Zamenhof.

@Madmac79: I like every option, but I think I'll go with option 3. There's definitely something weird and very dark about Zamenhof, just the fact that he's been alive for 150 years should scare the crap out of everyone.

Back
Top Bottom