The Retro-PES Corner

@mattmid: Ivarov's retirement is also a big deal - a classic ML default! -, but sadly it won't have the same impact it'd otherwise have for he's sharing the moment with the one and only, Zamenhof.
Remember when I played him 10 minutes or so on a match a few seasons ago? Turns out the game didn't recognize it so officially he still has 0 apps for our club in 9 years :D

@WhoAteMeDinner: Oh man, don't say that, now I miss Espimas...just as I'll miss Zamenhof...

@Special4988: Ah damn it, I didn't realized had I spoiled one of the most important facts of my upcoming half-of-season review!!!
We are a couple of matches away from the winter break and yes, we are 1st! I don't think I've ever arrived to the winter break as 1st of the D1, so this is uncharted territory. Also it's beginning to look like we'll get to the elimination rounds of the WEFA Championships for the first time in our history!

I think Ivarov is 38 right now on my save. Zamenhof is 40, so is Ceciu. So far no player has stood around after 40; Iouga, Espimas and now Zamenhof and Ceciu have been the only ones reaching this respectable age, as far as I remember (I think Minanda as a 39 year-old).

Some experimenting in my ML
Haven't really like the difficulty level so far
So.
Real Betis 2 v 2 Villarreal
Superstar manual.
Felt good, better than TP and manual

Stade Rennais 3-1 Betis.
Top player PA1
Big difference in how team reacts Vs manual,much quicker.
Lost due to two sending offs.

Replayed the 2nd game
Rennes 2-2 Betis
Superstar PA1
Superstar still feels better than TP.
Much more errors from the CPU.

So I guess I'll be playing SS and PA1.
PA 1 feels really good in this game,and players reacts faster,not losing the ball constantly.

Some experimenting in my ML
Haven't really like the difficulty level so far
So.
Real Betis 2 v 2 Villarreal
Superstar manual.
Felt good, better than TP and manual

Stade Rennais 3-1 Betis.
Top player PA1
Big difference in how team reacts Vs manual,much quicker.
Lost due to two sending offs.

Replayed the 2nd game
Rennes 2-2 Betis
Superstar PA1
Superstar still feels better than TP.
Much more errors from the CPU.

So I guess I'll be playing SS and PA1.
PA 1 feels really good in this game,and players reacts faster,not losing the ball constantly.

TP PA1 in PES 12 feels really good in exhibition.
The passing has a nice balance and feel to it.
Have not tested Master League yet.
Probably going to start an ML this week in Serie A, perhaps Inter/Fiorentina, just don't know if I've the patience or time to do the original players. Going to keep the 2011/12 rosters in play also.

I finally got everything sorted and started my WE9LE ML.
I was spoilt for choice as to which patch to go with thanks to @Sany023 excellent thread and installers.

I decided on the 1974 patch as it has a bit more continuity than the other classic patches that include multiple versions of teams for different eras and also a mix of players from the 50s right up to the 00's.

The 1974 patch has teams from that era only and as far as I can tell they don't have any duplicate teams.
The only change I made was to remove Leicester (sorry Foxes) and manually add Forest from 1978 from another classic patch I have installed. So technically now my patch is 1970's not just 1974 I guess...

It took me a while to manually add Forest, even with the OF editor and transferring any players that were already in the game to the team such as Shilton, Burns. Francis etc etc.
I have also recreated the kits & added the City Ground (although it is slightly inaccurate as the 'new' Trent End was built in 1995 but it is better than no City Ground) and added the other English stadiums that I could find for PES5.

With all that done, I was ready to go...

I started on 5 stars and 15 minute matches as I wasn't sure if I could handle 6 yet.
I only have 22 players in my squad so I will have to make some signings at some point. I am going to make sure that I don't add any superstars like Maradonna etc as I want to keep it competitive and (somewhat) realistic within the already slightly unrealistic setup I have.

First game was against Banik Ostrava and ended up 0-0 despite me hitting the post with an Archie Gemmill free kick and John Robertson missing a first half penalty. I had some decent half chances but my finishing left a lot to be desired.
All in all a good game & a learning experience as when I went to make some substitutions I realised that I am probably a good CM & SM short in my squad if I want to have some impact subs. Some players seemed to flag around the 70 minute mark (I'm looking at you Martin O'Neill) and I could do with a string option from the bench...

The negotiations period starts in a few weeks so I will be scouting for good midfield and winger talent in the meantime.

Second game against Panathanaikos didn't start well. They beat my offside trap and went 1-0 ahead inside 15 minutes.
Oh no I thought, if my woeful finishing from the last game continues I will be in trouble.
I got a bit of luck on 24 minutes as the ball was cleared by their defender but hit another of their players and it bounced gleefully back into the box and fell to £1 million man Trevor Francis who isn't going to miss from 8 yards out with that price tag on his head. Smashed it into the top corner s the hapless GK looked on... 1-1 game on.

It was still 1-1 at half time but I was much more positive about the second half. AT least I found the back of the net, albeit with a fortunate bounce but I will take it.

Second half kicks off and I am starting to play the ball around nicely. Archie Gemmill is trying his best to put us ahead but a combination of wayward shooting and dogged defending keeps the score level.
A nice passing move around the 55 minute mark led to the ball being at Garry Birtles feet just inside the 18 yard box. A little jink to his right and he placed the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net for 2-1 and I nearly woke up the household as it was 11:45pm by this time and everybody was in bed. Now to see the game out wihout conceding another...

Some players are getting a bit tired now so I bring Tony Woodcock on (he's from my hometown) in place of the cardio plagued O'Neill and swap out Frank Clark for Colin Barrett to keep things fresh.

Around the 70 minute mark it seems like Panathanaikos are starting to push forward more in search of an equaliser.
I defend resolutely against the Greek onslaught and will look for the counter opportunity if it arises.

Just before 80 minutes, Woodcock gets the ball on a counter attack, sends it forward to Francis. I get excited as I realise it's a 2 on 1 chance (not had one of those in modern PES in a long time if ever). Francis runs with it a bit, the poor, lonely defender attempts to close him down, he plays an inch perfect forward pass that Birtles runs onto and hits first time to the 'keepers right and into the back of the net... 3-1, just over 10 minutes left, that 's it in the bag surely?
I held out for the rest of the game and tried to keep the ball as much as possible, game management I think they would call it these days?

All in all very happy with that performance and of course the 3 points. 4 points from 6 isn't a bad start but we'll see what is to come. John McGovern got injured towards the end of the game so he may not be available for the next match?

Loving the ML so far, wanted to play one more game but it was gone midnight and I had to be up at 6:30 for work so will have to wait for another day.

@rsl1 And another one is hooked and here for good :D Great write up :) Did you speak to them in a Cloughie voice at half time? Come on young man I expect better. Football the way it's meant to be played :)

@Red_Star_Belgrade , comrade, below is the link for the 240 page online pdf PES 5 guide. Almost identical manual as for PES 6 game I have found, great depth of information.

https://mega.nz/#F!318wnYbB!o56aH0A5_qlAAhbjpJM0VA
I was spoilt for choice as to which patch to go with thanks to @Sany023 excellent thread and installers.

I decided on the 1974 patch as it has a bit more continuity than the other classic patches that include multiple versions of teams for different eras and also a mix of players from the 50s right up to the 00's.

The 1974 patch has teams from that era only and as far as I can tell they don't have any duplicate teams.
The only change I made was to remove Leicester (sorry Foxes) and manually add Forest from 1978 from another classic patch I have installed. So technically now my patch is 1970's not just 1974 I guess...

It took me a while to manually add Forest, even with the OF editor and transferring any players that were already in the game to the team such as Shilton, Burns. Francis etc etc.
I have also recreated the kits & added the City Ground (although it is slightly inaccurate as the 'new' Trent End was built in 1995 but it is better than no City Ground) and added the other English stadiums that I could find for PES5.

I started on 5 stars and 15 minute matches as I wasn't sure if I could handle 6 yet.
I only have 22 players in my squad so I will have to make some signings at some point. I am going to make sure that I don't add any superstars like Maradonna etc as I want to keep it competitive and (somewhat) realistic within the already slightly unrealistic setup I have.

First game was against Banik Ostrava and ended up 0-0 despite me hitting the post with an Archie Gemmill free kick and John Robertson missing a first half penalty. I had some decent half chances but my finishing left a lot to be desired.
All in all a good game & a learning experience as when I went to make some substitutions I realised that I am probably a good CM & SM short in my squad if I want to have some impact subs. Some players seemed to flag around the 70 minute mark (I'm looking at you Martin O'Neill) and I could do with a string option from the bench...

The negotiations period starts in a few weeks so I will be scouting for good midfield and winger talent in the meantime.

Second game against Panathanaikos didn't start well. They beat my offside trap and went 1-0 ahead inside 15 minutes.
Oh no I thought, if my woeful finishing from the last game continues I will be in trouble.
I got a bit of luck on 24 minutes as the ball was cleared by their defender but hit another of their players and it bounced gleefully back into the box and fell to £1 million man Trevor Francis who isn't going to miss from 8 yards out with that price tag on his head. Smashed it into the top corner s the hapless GK looked on... 1-1 game on.

It was still 1-1 at half time but I was much more positive about the second half. AT least I found the back of the net, albeit with a fortunate bounce but I will take it.

Second half kicks off and I am starting to play the ball around nicely. Archie Gemmill is trying his best to put us ahead but a combination of wayward shooting and dogged defending keeps the score level.
A nice passing move around the 55 minute mark led to the ball being at Garry Birtles feet just inside the 18 yard box. A little jink to his right and he placed the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net for 2-1 and I nearly woke up the household as it was 11:45pm by this time and everybody was in bed. Now to see the game out wihout conceding another...

Some players are getting a bit tired now so I bring Tony Woodcock on (he's from my hometown) in place of the cardio plagued O'Neill and swap out Frank Clark for Colin Barrett to keep things fresh.

Around the 70 minute mark it seems like Panathanaikos are starting to push forward more in search of an equaliser.
I defend resolutely against the Greek onslaught and will look for the counter opportunity if it arises.

Just before 80 minutes, Woodcock gets the ball on a counter attack, sends it forward to Francis. I get excited as I realise it's a 2 on 1 chance (not had one of those in modern PES in a long time if ever). Francis runs with it a bit, the poor, lonely defender attempts to close him down, he plays an inch perfect forward pass that Birtles runs onto and hits first time to the 'keepers right and into the back of the net... 3-1, just over 10 minutes left, that 's it in the bag surely?
I held out for the rest of the game and tried to keep the ball as much as possible, game management I think they would call it these days?

All in all very happy with that performance and of course the 3 points. 4 points from 6 isn't a bad start but we'll see what is to come. John McGovern got injured towards the end of the game so he may not be available for the next match?

Loving the ML so far, wanted to play one more game but it was gone midnight and I had to be up at 6:30 for work so will have to wait for another day.

Would love to see videos of this man if possible!

@rsl1 And another one is hooked and here for good :D Great write up :) Did you speak to them in a Cloughie voice at half time? Come on young man I expect better. Football the way it's meant to be played :)
Yes I had that old ISS/PES feeling from back in the PS1/Ps2 days for sure. Best thing is, even though I am away next week, it is on my laptop I can take it with me and havea few cheeky games in the evening :)

Ha I should deffo employ the Cloughie voice for sure. Especially for O'Neill if he doesn't pull his socks up - the slacker

Didn't realise there was a 1974 patch!
Sounds good.
Yes I found it by accident as I downloaded pretty much all of the WE9LE patches/installers that sounded interesting or I didn't have a clue what they were so I could try them out. I have found that a lot of the patches/installers just tend to have the name and no description which is fine if it is something like EPL 16/17 or Russian League patch etc. But if it is the developers name, a teams name or just something like 74 for example I tend to install it and see what it is.
The 74 patch was a pleasant surprise as it even has my hated rivals Derby in it. Looking forward to getting promoted and facing them.
The 74 patch is in the Sany thread, I will have a quick look for the link now.
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-6-global-patches-full-installers-by-sany.67651/page-27
Halfway down the page is the link and in fairness quite a good indication of what is in it.

Would love to see videos of this man if possible!

I am not sure of the best way to record videos from the PC? I am used to the lazy/easy PS4 option of just pressing share lol. What is the best way to capture the screen as videos would be good fun to edit etc.

Right now I'm in the 2nd season of my PES3 ML save. The team is much stronger than last season, so we will definitely try to get promoted this season. We've brought in two free transfers (during the off season) and a bunch of Asian players (they are cheap salary and transfer points wise)+a midfielder from Cameroon called Boye. We've also signed 3 Growth players so I can mould them into the kind of player that I want.

What do you guys think about the Growth players in PES3 ML Mode? Do you even use them? I think it's really fun to assign points to these players stats. For example:

As said before, I've signed 3 Growth players who will have a development like:

-1 goalkeeper (Spanish player called Boya) - All the points will go to the needed goalkeeper stats (reaction, jumping, goalkeeper skill etc.).
-1 central defender (Welsh player called Stanley) - As he is 1 meter and 90 centrimetres long he will be a defensive tank (defending, heading, strength etc.).
-1 offensive midfielder (Russian player whose name I forgot) - He will be the Iniesta of my team (all passing stats will be boosted, technique, attacking).

But of course it doesn't end there, because I'll also need to keep an eye on the mental aspect (teamwork, consistency etc.) and things like stamina.

I have a random question, but do you know where/how or if I can change the referee kits in WE9LE?
I couldn't see a folder for referees in kitserver but I may have been looking in the wrong place or it may be possible I have to add one somewhere?
The refs have 3 variations of Adidas kits at the moment but I am not sure if they are the default ones or not?

I basically want to remove/swap out the red one as it clashes with my home kit and I almost passed to the ref several times last night lol.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Russ

TP PA1 in PES 12 feels really good in exhibition.
The passing has a nice balance and feel to it.
Have not tested Master League yet.
Probably going to start an ML this week in Serie A, perhaps Inter/Fiorentina, just don't know if I've the patience or time to do the original players. Going to keep the 2011/12 rosters in play also.
Cool,nope haven't played with the original players in ages.
I'm gonna try PA 1 on 12 as well.
I usually play manual,but these games are really good on PA 1
Good luck

Right now I'm in the 2nd season of my PES3 ML save. The team is much stronger than last season, so we will definitely try to get promoted this season. We've brought in two free transfers (during the off season) and a bunch of Asian players (they are cheap salary and transfer points wise)+a midfielder from Cameroon called Boye. We've also signed 3 Growth players so I can mould them into the kind of player that I want.

What do you guys think about the Growth players in PES3 ML Mode? Do you even use them? I think it's really fun to assign points to these players stats. For example:

As said before, I've signed 3 Growth players who will have a development like:

-1 goalkeeper (Spanish player called Boya) - All the points will go to the needed goalkeeper stats (reaction, jumping, goalkeeper skill etc.).
-1 central defender (Welsh player called Stanley) - As he is 1 meter and 90 centrimetres long he will be a defensive tank (defending, heading, strength etc.).
-1 offensive midfielder (Russian player whose name I forgot) - He will be the Iniesta of my team (all passing stats will be boosted, technique, attacking).

But of course it doesn't end there, because I'll also need to keep an eye on the mental aspect (teamwork, consistency etc.) and things like stamina.
I like the fact you can decide where to put the stats. Makes you think carefully about where to put them as once they are on you can't change your mind.

Man this takes me back!
Grew up in the 70s,and we actually had live games every Saturday from 1969 here in sweden.
Remember the muddy pitches,long haired skinny players,packed stadiums etc

I moved away from PL football nowadays,doesn't interest me,but back in 70-80-90s I really loved first division (and lower) football.
Still watch the FA cup every year when the the championship and PL teams gets going Vs lower and non league,hoping for an upset!
Great write up mate.

@rsl1 I'm not sure where the ref kits are in we9le or indeed if anyone made any (I'm thinking the pes5 one's may work if there are any? Although whether the .bin number is the same I have no idea) If you ask that question in here https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/request-thread-request-any-file-made-for-pes6-here.61654/ you might get an answer.

Just a quick thought, I've never really checked if this is the case or not but are you using a kitserver kit for Nottm Forest? If so in the config file in each of your kits is the radar.color, if you change that it changes your radar colour in game and I've always assumed the game must look at those before choosing the ref's kit. Are your radar players in red or not? If not, perhaps that's why and you could change that in the config file of the home kit in kitserver.

If it's not a kitserver kit then I think you'll have to change the supporter's colours as changing that changes the radar colour. So if it's not a kitserver kit try changing that. Are the supporter colours in we9le, can't recall that off the top of my head, they are in pes6. It's in the edit team when you go to edit the strip.

@rsl1 I'm not sure where the ref kits are in we9le or indeed if anyone made any (I'm thinking the pes5 one's may work if there are any? Although whether the .bin number is the same I have no idea) If you ask that question in here https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/request-thread-request-any-file-made-for-pes6-here.61654/ you might get an answer.

Just a quick thought, I've never really checked if this is the case or not but are you using a kitserver kit for Nottm Forest? If so in the config file in each of your kits is the radar.color, if you change that it changes your radar colour in game and I've always assumed the game must look at those before choosing the ref's kit. Are your radar players in red or not? If not, perhaps that's why and you could change that in the config file of the home kit in kitserver.

If it's not a kitserver kit then I think you'll have to change the supporter's colours as changing that changes the radar colour. So if it's not a kitserver kit try changing that. Are the supporter colours in we9le, can't recall that off the top of my head, they are in pes6. It's in the edit team when you go to edit the strip.

You could be right there as I haven't changed the radar dot colours yet. The patch just had the most basic stuff filled in on the config.txt files for kits and doesn't include the radar colours. I will have a look at one of the other patches later and copy some of the radar code form there and paste it in.

It is on my list of things to do tonight.
The list currently is edit ref kits (might not be needed now), edit radar dots as it's hard to see when they are all grey lol, try and edit some textures on the city ground for older adboards and stand sponsors etc that would have been around in the 70s rather than Capital one, Century FM etc.
That last one might take me a bit longer as it isn't necessary for playing and I want to play some more tonight for sure.

Thanks for the tip, I will try it tonight for sure.

Does somebody know who made that 1974 patch?

Just tried it and it's a magnificent work. I checked Lazio's roster (1974 is the year we won the title, moreover) and even if there is some excusable small imperfection, it's so incredibly detailed and well done I had my mouth open in wonder. If that's the level of care of all the patch (other than Lazio and some other exceptions like famous teams/players I'm not really super familiar with that period, since I was born in the middle 80's), the guy who made it must be some next level football lover.
The fact he also created all the players with way lower global stats than the norm seems to kinda simulate the slower football of those times. Really nice touch.

Thanks to @rsl1 that shared such a gem. Would really love to know if whoever did 1974 also did other patches like this one. It's one of those unique cases in which I'd pay for a single season patch between 80-90 this polished.

Does somebody know who made that 1974 patch?

Just tried it and it's a magnificent work. I checked Lazio's roster (1974 is the year we won the title, moreover) and even if there is some excusable small imperfection, it's so incredibly detailed and well done I had my mouth open in wonder. If that's the level of care of all the patch (other than Lazio and some other exceptions like famous teams/players I'm not really super familiar with that period, since I was born in the middle 80's), the guy who made it must be some next level football lover.
The fact he also created all the players with way lower global stats than the norm seems to kinda simulate the slower football of those times. Really nice touch.

Thanks to @rsl1 that shared such a gem. Would really love to know if whoever did 1974 also did other patches like this one. It's one of those unique cases in which I'd pay for a single season patch between 80-90 this polished.

It's awesome isn't it.
It's a fantastic setup for a retro ML season for sure.

I would love it if there was a similar patch for 80's and mid 90's as that would be awesome but I couldn't find one after some quick searching yesterday.

I am more than happy with the 1974 one for the time being though, its great.

@rsl1: Awesome stuff right there! I'm don't know much about the retro-database scene on retro-PES PC but I've tried a wonderful classic patch for PES08 PSP and it's addictive in so many ways. First, it's an encyclopedia of football, you get to know or remember teams/players from many eras of the past; and it's also an experience that you just don't get on any modern football game - even if you can acquire a couple of legends in myClub/UT these days, it's nowhere near the level of depth that you get with classic patches like these who have an entire and complete World of retro at your disposal.

Guys I'm trying to cheer myself up after the news that Zamenhof is retiring this season, using music to do the trick.
4:11 - FOUQUE you I won't do what you tell me!!!

No Hamsun of Mine - Genesis

Wake me up before you Dodo - WHAM

Stein Alive - Bee Gees

Iouga leave your hat on - Joe Cocker
Not even music is safe from the ML Defaults fever.

This 1974 OF patch for PC PES gamers is making me a touch envious. But I was so disappointed many years back by the gameplay and pace differences between the PC and Playstation 2 versions of games, that even the prospect of moustaches, sideburns, big hair and actual tackles do not tempt me to run out and get a copy of PES 2018.

:SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

Last edited:
Finally getting really good games on Pes 13 again.
Since I started playing Superstar it's really enjoyable.
Tough as hell though,just won Vs Levante with 1-0.
Less cheaty than TP,more errors involved,but tough,really tough!
Shots 4(2)-5(3)
It's going to be fun playing Barca on this level...

Finally getting really good games on Pes 13 again.
Since I started playing Superstar it's really enjoyable.
Tough as hell though,just won Vs Levante with 1-0.
Less cheaty than TP,more errors involved,but tough,really tough!
Shots 4(2)-5(3)
It's going to be fun playing Barca on this level...

I played Barca last night on TP in PES 12
Messi was like superhuman beating like 4-5 men at a time
I still have not figured out how to defend properly in this iteration

Keeper Bugs: Worst one so far is in PES 3 a while back, one of my players struck a hard shot and the COM goalkeeper saved easily. He dropped the ball to his feet and then staggered about in the box with the ball trapped between his legs, like a zombie.

Can't see this online anywhere, has anybody had this horrible glitch ? :Y1:Y1:Y1
I've had that (something very similar) in PES3 sometimes when the GK passes to a DF.

Back
Top Bottom