The Retro-PES Corner

I played Barca last night on TP in PES 12
Messi was like superhuman beating like 4-5 men at a time
I still have not figured out how to defend properly in this iteration
Ouch,sounds like a nightmare.
I find defending better than in 13,I'm having all sorts of problems on 13, actually better when on Superstar
Hang in there

@Madmac79 @rsl1 I have thought about doing a few before but stats have always been an issue. I guess if they were roughly how they should be and with a little research I guess there's no harm making them up. Any that need amending will obviously be pointed out so it could be something that's an on going update.
I have access to English teams from 1970 in the form of the Rothmans Football League book so at least the squads are doable. A late 80s OF was one that stuck out for me too.

Refreshing though that players actually run with the ball unlike the current state of one dimensional tika tika PES 19 AI
Yes!
Won't touch that game...
Anyway,since I have horribly tough to find the right balance in 13,just had a game (replayed it 3 times) which,no matter how I set it up,it's 5 passes in a row and a goal (against Xerez,dead last in the league) and I can't defend.
The just run past me,backing off/trying to nick it/tackling doesn't matter.
So I'm giving 13 a break.

Started up my ML on 12,this game Marty...
I must say it's far better than 13,better pace,animations,freekicks, contacts,pretty much everything.

I remember it being very good when playing it in June,but I started playing 13 because of stadiums etc,and yes 13 played good to,but I find 12 to be on another level.
Just had a game Vs Feyenoord in EL,really hard fought,and I could defend:)

Btw,you know Top Player is the toughest difficulty right?
I think you can unlock Super star,but out of the box TP is the toughest.
Hope your ML is going good mate

Right now I'm in the 2nd season of my PES3 ML save. The team is much stronger than last season, so we will definitely try to get promoted this season. We've brought in two free transfers (during the off season) and a bunch of Asian players (they are cheap salary and transfer points wise)+a midfielder from Cameroon called Boye. We've also signed 3 Growth players so I can mould them into the kind of player that I want.

What do you guys think about the Growth players in PES3 ML Mode? Do you even use them? I think it's really fun to assign points to these players stats. For example:

As said before, I've signed 3 Growth players who will have a development like:

-1 goalkeeper (Spanish player called Boya) - All the points will go to the needed goalkeeper stats (reaction, jumping, goalkeeper skill etc.).
-1 central defender (Welsh player called Stanley) - As he is 1 meter and 90 centrimetres long he will be a defensive tank (defending, heading, strength etc.).
-1 offensive midfielder (Russian player whose name I forgot) - He will be the Iniesta of my team (all passing stats will be boosted, technique, attacking).

But of course it doesn't end there, because I'll also need to keep an eye on the mental aspect (teamwork, consistency etc.) and things like stamina.

@daveer91 ,
Training Promising Players in PES 3 seems to have been Konami's initial test of player development stats and they kept it quite limited. Works best for training a keeper, you are right, as the development window is very short, just a season or less.

And best of luck with your PES 3 ML campaign. :D:D:D

ML United - Generations Mode PES08 PS2 - Season 9 Winter break update

W962SNp.jpg

Could this be the year of ML United?

After our unexpected Masters Cup + D1 Cup wins on Season 8, which went down as our most successful season yet, this year it might be the year we conquer the D1 on our 4th season after our promotion from D2.
However, the beginning of this season was all but easy on us. Given we finished 3rd last year, we failed to qualify directly for the WEFA Championships' group stage so we ended up having to play the preliminary group phase of the competition, which means 6 more matches to be played and a stacked calendar of two matches per week from the start. This time though, unlike what happened on previous seasons, we have more depth in our squad. This helped me rotate the players according to fatigue and bad form, whereas previously I had to rely on the same players to play always.

New and improved
Our newcomers Kim Myon U and Delios, both CBs, were inserted immediately onto that rotation and though neither started out brilliantly - far from that, particularly Kim who played more and commited a few game-breaking mistakes - both evolved throughout this first half of the season and are now valuable assets on our team. Kim is already at times a starting-11 player and Delios is coming in often for either Stein or when we need to hold on to a lead, usually replacing either a striker or our AMF and playing him as a DMF.
Kim is solid at the back, though still very slow and with low response. I still trust my back 3 of Jackson, Baumann and Jaric as first choices. Libermann also still has an active role on this defensive rotation, curiously. Possibly the default player who surprised me the most on this save with his quality performances.
As for Delios, I'm beginning to believe he could become the successor of Stein in the future...both are short, mean, angry and reliable, but I don't know if Delios will ever have Stein's amazing stamina (+90, whereas Delios' hasn't even reached 75). Anyway he's a solid backup as of now, and like Kim he's evolving his statsheet at a great pace (+2 points on every stat since the beginning of the season).

United on top
Season 9 of D1 quickly showed it was going to be as unpredictable as it had never been. After the first 5 fixtures, Bayern, Benfica and ML United (1st, 2nd and 3rd placed from last season and the best teams of the league in recent years) were sitting on the bottom half of the table, far away from leaders River Plate (?? one of the worst teams of the league). However, that frenzy was short-lived as the natural balance began to retake control and after 5 wins in a row ML United arrives to the winter break as 1st placed. Benfica and Bayern got back on track but unlike ML United, they did not enter Superteam Mode and their recover was timid, though still enough to enter the battle for the WEFA competitions qualifying places.

What explains Benfica and Bayern's downfall? Well, both teams are beginning to show signs of aging.
Benfica has already lost Juninho and is about to lose Beckham when he retires, also Luisão is too old for his prominent role too. Bayern has a core of players made of Van Buyten, Lúcio, Klose, Toni...wouldn't be surprised if all of them retired this season.
This means the two strongest ML United rivals are showing signs of weakness...it's time to attack! It's now or never, we'll go for that sweet D1 title!

IVjZ16q.jpg
Ordaz has already scored almost twice the number of goals he scored last season...will he prevent Gutierrez from winning his 3rd D1 Top Scorer Award in a row?

Playing with the big boys
As for the WEFA Championships, we were able to win both the first and the second group stages, which means we'll be on the round of 16 for the first time in our history. Next round: vs. Benfica.
We're also on the quarter-finals of the D1 Cup and we'll face...Benfica.

All is going well except for Zamenhof's incoming retirement...

@miguelfcp Great write up. It's good to see how things progress over a 5+ seasons. I am curious of what Bayern Munich will do once they start losing their star players. Will they splash the cash and bring in new stars? Or try to develop their younger players.

I am not sure how good the AI management is in the games over the course of many seasons. I'm still only in season 2.

Yes!
Won't touch that game...
Anyway,since I have horribly tough to find the right balance in 13,just had a game (replayed it 3 times) which,no matter how I set it up,it's 5 passes in a row and a goal (against Xerez,dead last in the league) and I can't defend.
The just run past me,backing off/trying to nick it/tackling doesn't matter.
So I'm giving 13 a break.

Started up my ML on 12,this game Marty...
I must say it's far better than 13,better pace,animations,freekicks, contacts,pretty much everything.

I remember it being very good when playing it in June,but I started playing 13 because of stadiums etc,and yes 13 played good to,but I find 12 to be on another level.
Just had a game Vs Feyenoord in EL,really hard fought,and I could defend:)

Btw,you know Top Player is the toughest difficulty right?
I think you can unlock Super star,but out of the box TP is the toughest.
Hope your ML is going good mate

Thanks man. Getting started this evening. Got to make some Serie A style stadiums for opponents.

Just been playing a copa libertadores with Corinthians, they have Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos. Ronaldo, so powerful yet stamina is crap lol and Roberto Carlos a machine in the wings. Love the individuality represented in this game especially with players like these. Makes it interesting to play with every team because each team is so different.

Agree, the pace of the game is excellent and there's a lot of variety to be had.

There are a few issues but nothing that takes away from a very enjoyable game of football.

You using any patches?

W962SNp.jpg

After our unexpected Masters Cup + D1 Cup wins on Season 8, which went down as our most successful season yet, this year it might be the year we conquer the D1 on our 4th season after our promotion from D2.
However, the beginning of this season was all but easy on us. Given we finished 3rd last year, we failed to qualify directly for the WEFA Championships' group stage so we ended up having to play the preliminary group phase of the competition, which means 6 more matches to be played and a stacked calendar of two matches per week from the start. This time though, unlike what happened on previous seasons, we have more depth in our squad. This helped me rotate the players according to fatigue and bad form, whereas previously I had to rely on the same players to play always.

New and improved
Our newcomers Kim Myon U and Delios, both CBs, were inserted immediately onto that rotation and though neither started out brilliantly - far from that, particularly Kim who played more and commited a few game-breaking mistakes - both evolved throughout this first half of the season and are now valuable assets on our team. Kim is already at times a starting-11 player and Delios is coming in often for either Stein or when we need to hold on to a lead, usually replacing either a striker or our AMF and playing him as a DMF.
Kim is solid at the back, though still very slow and with low response. I still trust my back 3 of Jackson, Baumann and Jaric as first choices. Libermann also still has an active role on this defensive rotation, curiously. Possibly the default player who surprised me the most on this save with his quality performances.
As for Delios, I'm beginning to believe he could become the successor of Stein in the future...both are short, mean, angry and reliable, but I don't know if Delios will ever have Stein's amazing stamina (+90, whereas Delios' hasn't even reached 75). Anyway he's a solid backup as of now, and like Kim he's evolving his statsheet at a great pace (+2 points on every stat since the beginning of the season).

United on top
Season 9 of D1 quickly showed it was going to be as unpredictable as it had never been. After the first 5 fixtures, Bayern, Benfica and ML United (1st, 2nd and 3rd placed from last season and the best teams of the league in recent years) were sitting on the bottom half of the table, far away from leaders River Plate (?? one of the worst teams of the league). However, that frenzy was short-lived as the natural balance began to retake control and after 5 wins in a row ML United arrives to the winter break as 1st placed. Benfica and Bayern got back on track but unlike ML United, they did not enter Superteam Mode and their recover was timid, though still enough to enter the battle for the WEFA competitions qualifying places.

What explains Benfica and Bayern's downfall? Well, both teams are beginning to show signs of aging.
Benfica has already lost Juninho and is about to lose Beckham when he retires, also Luisão is too old for his prominent role too. Bayern has a core of players made of Van Buyten, Lúcio, Klose, Toni...wouldn't be surprised if all of them retired this season.
This means the two strongest ML United rivals are showing signs of weakness...it's time to attack! It's now or never, we'll go for that sweet D1 title!

IVjZ16q.jpg
Ordaz has already scored almost twice the number of goals he scored last season...will he prevent Gutierrez from winning his 3rd D1 Top Scorer Award in a row?

As for the WEFA Championships, we were able to win both the first and the second group stages, which means we'll be on the round of 16 for the first time in our history. Next round: vs. Benfica.

Good stuff. PES08 on the PS2 is a real gem. May I ask what difficulty you are playing on?

W962SNp.jpg

New and improved

United on top

IVjZ16q.jpg

@miguelfcp , mig mate, astounding performance with just the default boys and to have two of your strikers top of the scoring table as well. Keep up the good work, great update too.
:TU::TU::TU:

@miguelfcp This could be the year! Can the ML defaults conquer the lot or are they pushing on too many fronts at once? Only time will tell. Glad to see Ordaz coming to life, what age is he now - must be at least 30 in your save? I think they are doing this as a send off for Zamenhof. Now he doesn't officially have an appearance, what chance his one and only game is a 10 minute cameo in the WEFA Final? What a send off, there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

@miguelfcp This could be the year! Can the ML defaults conquer the lot or are they pushing on too many fronts at once? Only time will tell. Glad to see Ordaz coming to life, what age is he now - must be at least 30 in your save? I think they are doing this as a send off for Zamenhof. Now he doesn't officially have an appearance, what chance his one and only game is a 10 minute cameo in the WEFA Final? What a send off, there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.
upload_2018-8-24_11-39-29.jpeg

You could be right there boy, this season could be the one for the underdogs of PES. The old 800 pts salary cap ML team Lombardia (Inter) in PES 3 has just fought our way to the Masters' Cup final and I too am certain ML United will do the business.

Thanks man. Getting started this evening. Got to make some Serie A style stadiums for opponents.

Just been playing a copa libertadores with Corinthians, they have Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos. Ronaldo, so powerful yet stamina is crap lol and Roberto Carlos a machine in the wings. Love the individuality represented in this game especially with players like these. Makes it interesting to play with every team because each team is so different.

Agree, the pace of the game is excellent and there's a lot of variety to be had.

There are a few issues but nothing that takes away from a very enjoyable game of football.

You using any patches?
Nope,playing it as it is,done some editing and imported a few kits,but no patches

Is it just me or does early 2000s aesthetic just brilliant?

It's actually 17 years since Windows XP released and its work-of-art-like aesthetic makes it remind me of PES 3's highlights theme to be honest...

@Special4988: They have brought Anita, a younger SMF, as a replacement for Ribery in the future (Ribery himself is on his 30s as well); but this was really the only noteworthy transfer move over the last few seasons for Bayern. So far this had been working for them, as they're currently the D1 titleholders, but the clock is indeed ticking and I wonder for how long they'll keep on relying on guys like Klose or Toni who are approaching the age of 40.

On the other hand, and this will show how rich and diverse team management is across all teams of the save, Galatasaray has been excellent over the last few years with their transfer moves, and now have the best CB-duo of the league (Bos and Barth, two fantastic newgens). River Plate is another great example, though unlike Galatasaray they don't fight for or win silverware, they had probably the worst roster of all the teams in the league at the beginning of the save. Over the years they brought in Rosales, Ballack, Hoekstra (great newgen) and more recently regen-Fabio Cannavaro.

@reinelt97: I'm on Top Player, and I think I'm on the hardest ML setting (Very Hard? think so).

@mattmid: So far it's a warm feeling to see us deal with fatigue in a proper way, unlike on previous seasons. The guys we've brought in lately such as Sousa, Matic, more recently Kim and Delios are fitting in and allowing me to rotate a lot. Now I don't necessarily have to choose between competition X or Y, can deal with many at once.
Ordaz is 29, I believe. His wonderful season so far is one more proof of what we discussed here on the Corner earlier: there's player form that goes beyond condition arrows. He has never had such a prolific season and he's stopped evolving his stats, also I didn't change tactics/strategy...not even his shirt number! :D
I wish I could do a proper Zamenhof Send-off such as that! Despite our wonderful season so far his whereabouts have not been disclosed yet...as usual I bet he'll return for the last fixtures of the season to try and celebrate a title with the team.

@WhoAteMeDinner: This is the season of the defaults!
I think you'll be glad to know this: I've found that on PES08 PS2 you can acquire some of the Ancient Defaults on the ML like Dulic, Celnili, Barota, Vornander...

@miguelfcp Basically, idea is to play "against myself". Rules are simple : 18 user teams, home and away games (34 fixtures) always playing as home team. So, 306 pes matches over the next few months.

How is this going @Red_Star_Belgrade ? Started yet?

I'm about to do the same thing myself possibly with more than one league as I'm making a few at the moment. I'm going to start with the Bundesliga over this weekend, see if I can get at least the firt round of fixtures in.

@miguelfcp awesome as always. Sounds like an exciting second half of the season in front of you! Also love the fact that MLs as long as yours turns kinda into a small, evolving ecosystem on their own. You have aging teams (like Bayern) that once dominated and now are feeling the weight of the years; or Galatasaray and River that slowly builded up great teams that resemble nothing the one they started with. And I'm sure that as good as Pes 2008 is on the field, this narrative greatly transfers in the field too.. :)

By the way, sorry for your quadruple challenge against Benfica.. I completely already HATE with an insane passion when I get drawn in D1/national Cup against a team I'm facing in the league between the two matches (used to happen pretty regularly in Pes 5).. but having both WEFA and D1 against Benfica at the same time sounds like some kind of different level evil :CENSOR:

So,after a day of thinking Pes 13 or 12,both great in their own way, life took the decision for me.
TV went bye bye...
Ain't life great sometimes:)

@Madmac79 Bizarrely that actually seems to happen quite regularly for real as well.

@rockstrongo That's a straight red surely! :R1 You didn't happen to mention within earshot of the tv that you might try the pes19 demo did you? :LOL: Seriously though, that sucks!

@mattmid true! But I can see a sense in it happening in real life, as it saves an additional trip to one of the two teams. In games I just find boring to play against the same squad for three times in a row.

I mean, it's not anything remotely game breaking.. but it's still annoying :P

@Madmac79 Bizarrely that actually seems to happen quite regularly for real as well.

@rockstrongo That's a straight red surely! :R1 You didn't happen to mention within earshot of the tv that you might try the pes19 demo did you? :LOL: Seriously though, that sucks!
Yeah it's a bummer mate,I think the though of "hmm maybe DL that demo" broke it.
Well that's life,on the other hand,we were up for a new TV anyway,getting my first 4K,seems a bit strange playing ps3 games,and in the future ,PS2 on it:)

Evening everyone, I was just wondering what the deadline is for the goal of the week competition?
Am I too late for this week or is it still open?

Thanks in advance

Russ

Back
Top Bottom