The Retro-PES Corner

@mattmid thanks again for you help yesterday. I got home and tried the various things you suggested and had some success as well as some slightly odd results.

I downloaded the newest kitserver for both 3 & 5 and added the emb file to the install directories.
If I installed kitserver 3 to the exe and had the emb file in the directory it crashed at the match screen everytime, if Ijust used the emb file it didn't crash but the player shadows were jet black. This looked particularly odd when the stadium had 4 floodlights and you get those 4 shadows. Each player basically had a giant black cross underneath them that followed them everywhere.
Finally I installed kitserver on its own without the emb file and set the resolution and it worked really well.
The only issue I have is that it is a bit too fast which may be down to the game or the fact that it isn't meant to run on newer hardware - I am not sure.
If I amend the speeder settings then the game does become slower but also choppy for some reason and is nowhere near as smooth so I have left it on default for now.

I had much more success with WE9LE which is good news. I installed the emb file and the latest kitserver, set both resolutions and it ran beautifully. It isn't even that fast, certainly nowhere as fast as PES3 is on my laptop so I am very happy with this now.

I am hoping that I can find a patch for WE9LE with correct team names, kits & emblems so that I can start a ML tonight as this seems to run best and at a speed that I like on my current laptop.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a WE9LE patch?
Ideally I would love to find a a retro one featuring 90's teams but not sure if that exists, failing that I am looking for either one with the default squads but correct kits, logos & names or completely the other way and an up to date one with current squads/kits etc?

So iss3 is better on console than pc?I have the pc version but as I remember it was a direct ps2 to pc rip-off like the pes3.
Btw I don’t know if you watch closely the topic,someone two weeks ago found a psxc2 emu that works without stutter problems. It was version dev’s build ,fev’s bios. I remember you asked for it months ago.

Weirdly, from differents website testing the game, yes, it's a "downgraded" version... Not optimised for PC at all.
I don't really understand why.
From a french website (jeuxvideo.com), 4 on 5 stars the PS2/Gamecube version, 3 stars for the PC version, they also explain some issues with the "port"

About the Ps2 emulator without stuttering, i don't remember well.. If i don't have found the version you've mentionned, or my PC perhaps not as good to handle this emulator

@rsl1 Glad you had some success, not sure what happened with PES3 then but maybe because that enb thing is directx8 I wonder if that came after PES3 so maybe that might be why? How much did you change the speeder - perhaps it was too much?

@lazoli made this for we9le which included a tireless bit of work in getting all the names and teams into English! So it's the original default game but with all English teams, players and kits etc.

If the game's in the original folder and you have kitserver installed just go from step 3, if it's one you downloaded from sany's page you'll have to download the game too as it's for the original install path.

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-retro-pes-online-club.78947/#post-3286340

Bit off topic, but have those of you on the PS2 emulator (or other emulators) tried any other interesting non-PES football games? Football Kingdom etc?

I've tried Football Kingdom on PCSX2. It's interesting from a PS2 football history standpoint but it's still no PES. It has some cool gameplay innovations that would have been refreshing back in the day for a break from PES. Introduced 360 dribbling, manual passing and of course the greatest goal net physics of all time. But just doesn't play a very satisfying game of Football.

I tried the Club Football game (Arsenal Edition) a few weeks ago and again, it was notable for being a fully licensed football game with authentic kits, stadiums and likenesses, i played it round a friends house a few times when i was a kid and was a fun alternative but all these years later when i tried it for nostalgia, it doesn't hold up well at all. Feels like This Is Football in terms of poor animations and physics.

@mattmid I tried values of 0.95, 0.94 and 0.90 and all were the same with the poor performance. 0.90 was weird as it was like half speed for some reason.

Thanks for the heads up on the patch from @lazoli I will deffo check that out when I get home.

Thanks again for your help with this, looking forward to starting my ML tonight :)

Edit: Now I am reading through the retro PES online thread and you have got me intrigued about the online league you have got going. I shall read more but sounds like a great idea

Last edited:
After the current fiasco in PES 19, tempted to buy a PS3 and go back to PES 13 and do an ML. How does it hold up? Always remember there was a little bit of a catch up bug in it if I remember correctly?
Have played PES 6 fully patched for last few years after quickly finding modern iterations repetitive.

its amazing how good PES 2013 feels and plays after playing PES 2018 and PES 2019 demo.

we do forget how GOOOD these games were

fouls, AI that plays in lots of different ways.

forget the new PES games, they'll never be as good as this again ... !

@rsl1 Is there an editor for PES3? I think there was. Maybe just knock down the player's speed by 20 globally?

Yes we have kind of drifted away from the online the last 2-3 weeks as I think we've all got engrossed on our own various pes's but we will get back to it, @lazoli must wonder where we all went! We had the idea of doing a league with it, playing it over the season, a game (or 2) a week.

After the current fiasco in PES 19, tempted to buy a PS3 and go back to PES 13 and do an ML. How does it hold up? Always remember there was a little bit of a catch up bug in it if I remember correctly?
Have played PES 6 fully patched for last few years after quickly finding modern iterations repetitive.
Do it man, PES 2013 is a beautiful game ... not perfect but it's so addictive

Only issue I have is I can't find an Option File for PS3. Will edit game myself.

I am happy with squads not worried about teams being 5 years old and I can play as fully licensed La Liga

@rsl1 Is there an editor for PES3? I think there was. Maybe just knock down the player's speed by 20 globally?

Yes we have kind of drifted away from the online the last 2-3 weeks as I think we've all got engrossed on our own various pes's but we will get back to it, @lazoli must wonder where we all went! We had the idea of doing a league with it, playing it over the season, a game (or 2) a week.

There is an editor for PES3. It is included in this tools pack : https://www.gamewatcher.com/downloads/pro-evolution-soccer-4-download/the-wolf-tools-utility-pack#

To be honest though, i think WE9LE/PES5 are faster games than PES 3, so there might be an other problem.

Ok i have no clue still, how to vote for Goal of the Week, when are the nomimations deadline ,until when can i vote, the last two times i was waiting to vote until the end to see all videos and the competition was finished!! :P I know, i am an old stuborn dog who acts like a noob from time to time! So this is my goal from yesterday's re-trial of PES 2016. This game as it is known to everyone is more bad than good, but still has some points that even 2017-2018 and probably 2019 do not have, like the animation of body when shooting and how the inertia and human body weight is represented when players go from out of balance to in-balance condition.And the OFF-THE BALL AI ,movement and positioning, of CPU controlled teamates, which is awesome they are aware all time long, where is the best position to make a move and they have also brilliant timing (momentum). I do not need to post the negatives of 2016, i think everybody is aware of.

So thats my goal scored by M. Arteta.

That sounds like a great idea, I will keep checking the forums to see if and when it gets back up and running.
I will try to get the online part working sometime this week but it seems pretty straightforward tbh

There is an editor for PES3. It is included in this tools pack : https://www.gamewatcher.com/downloads/pro-evolution-soccer-4-download/the-wolf-tools-utility-pack#

To be honest though, i think WE9LE/PES5 are faster games than PES 3, so there might be an other problem.

Yes I think you may be right. I wonder of PES3 is using an older version of directx or something than PES5/WE9 is? The reason being that I got those weird shadows when I added the converter fie to the PES3 folder that I didn't get in the WE9 one.
I am thinking it may be a Windows 10/older directx compatibility issue.

I should probably spin up a virtual machine on my laptop and install XP on it and see if the older games run better on there.
If I ever get around to fixing my actual PC (which has died and doesn't seem to even want to turn on anymore) I have 2 HDD's installed, 1 running XP & 1 running win7 so I think the older games would probably run fine on there too.

Guys if you want to play Iss 3 for console on pc, forget about pcsx2 and download Dolphin (gamecube emulator). Last time I checked it was smooth enough.

@rsl1 Ah, could you maybe just plug in that XP HD into your new machine then?

Yes when I finally get around to figuring out what's wrong with it then that might be the way forward. It used to work, I didn't use it for a few months and now won't turn on at all - weird.

That being said, I could plug that HDD into a caddy and plug it in via USB into my laptop thinking about it. That way I could install the older games on there and give it a go. Maybe that is the answer :)
If not, I have WE9LE running pretty well on my laptop now anyway so either way I should be good.

I feel like I type this daily, but roll on 5 o clock...haha

That sounds like a great idea, I will keep checking the forums to see if and when it gets back up and running.
I will try to get the online part working sometime this week but it seems pretty straightforward tbh

Yes I think you may be right. I wonder of PES3 is using an older version of directx or something than PES5/WE9 is? The reason being that I got those weird shadows when I added the converter fie to the PES3 folder that I didn't get in the WE9 one.
I am thinking it may be a Windows 10/older directx compatibility issue.

I should probably spin up a virtual machine on my laptop and install XP on it and see if the older games run better on there.
If I ever get around to fixing my actual PC (which has died and doesn't seem to even want to turn on anymore) I have 2 HDD's installed, 1 running XP & 1 running win7 so I think the older games would probably run fine on there too.

It's not related to Windows 10, because i also used that converter with Windows 7 and it still had weird glitches or crashes. I wouldn't use any converter/enb with PES 3. If it still stutters, try playing with D3DOverrider.

Yesterday I finished my 1st ML season with PES 3 (3 star difficulty). It was quite a season, which ended in misery: we missed out on the promotion play-offs by 1 point. It was a classic bottle job: the last game was a draw against Benfica. Off course I was tempted to save scum, but that kinda ruins the game for me.

So: we will give it another go in the 2nd season. The squad is strenghtened, so it should be easier for us. I'm using the tactic that Anjin uses on his PES 3 ML (I saw it during his Twitch stream this weekend), which has worked wonders for me during the second half of the 1st season. So....thank you Anjin!

It's not related to Windows 10, because i also used that converter with Windows 7 and it still had weird glitches or crashes. I wouldn't use any converter/enb with PES 3. If it still stutters, try playing with D3DOverrider.

I remember reading that D3DOverrider doesn't work with Windows 10 so I haven't even given it a thought tbh.
That was a couple of months ago though so has it been updated to work with 10 now? I know it works with 7 down and possibly 8.
I shall have a look tonight then as that may also help.

Thanks for your suggestion

Haven't seen .much catch-up on TP
Tons of momentum,when CPU pins you down and often score if they keep at it
Had a crap game yesterday,buy that probably my first in 1 season and the start of the 2nd.
It's a good buy
Ps sorry for any misspellings can hardly see shite, at he beach
1534857495876361916659.jpg

Last edited:
Weirdly, from differents website testing the game, yes, it's a "downgraded" version... Not optimised for PC at all.
I don't really understand why.
From a french website (jeuxvideo.com), 4 on 5 stars the PS2/Gamecube version, 3 stars for the PC version, they also explain some issues with the "port"

About the Ps2 emulator without stuttering, i don't remember well.. If i don't have found the version you've mentionned, or my PC perhaps not as good to handle this emulator

You could try the gamecube emulator "dolphin", works pretty neat both on PC and Mac. That's where I play Jikkyō World Soccer (ISS).

Haven't seen .much catch-up on TP
Tons of momentum,when CPU pins you down and often score if they keep at it
Had a crap game yesterday,buy that probably my first in 1 season and the start of the 2nd.
It's a good buy
Ps sorry for any misspellings can hardly see shite, at he beach
View attachment 5690

lol enjoy man. Yeah I used to play it a lot with Valencia, loved how the La Liga was fully licensed. Will pick it up again.
Could only manage to find PES 12 on PC, i remember never giving it much time, going to delve into it and see how it compares to recent iterations.

lol enjoy man. Yeah I used to play it a lot with Valencia, loved how the La Liga was fully licensed. Will pick it up again.
Could only manage to find PES 12 on PC, i remember never giving it much time, going to delve into it and see how it compares to recent iterations.
Never played it on release,but I'm really impressed with it,feels weighty,strange shooting,but a really good game.
Not as "end to end" like 13 sometimes can be.
Hope you'll like it man.
Yeah,a well deserved swim for me today
Thanks bro

Last edited:
Never played it on release,but I'm really impressed with it,feels weighty,strange shooting,but a really good game.
Not as "end to end" like 13 sometimes can be.
Hope you'll like it man.
Yeah,a well deserved swim for me today
Thanks bro

Played a few games of PES 12 there and my oh my what a pleasant surprise it was. Yeah the animations are clunky given its age but everything else was sublime, I had to think about every pass/shot/run I made with every player because every stat mattered to excess which is the essence of the premise that PES was created on. I could beat men for pace, keepers were not glued to the line, had great 1 on 1's with the keeper, and PA1 had quite comparable error depending on the passing stats of the player on the ball

The game was enthralling, and had everything that the now diluted modern era doesn't, really unpredictable to say the least.
Below is a wee snippet of the stats of a game I played being Manchester United against Arsenal on TP

IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0275.JPG

I never gave this game much time of day when it was released, didn't have much time to play PES back then and I believe it was not too favourably received among critics as everything was compared to PES 6. I do not know what it'll be like after 100+ games but it certainly encapsulate the essence of a PES game was built on! This has been lost so much in the modern era. Going to continue to test more later

Played a few games of PES 12 there and my oh my what a pleasant surprise it was. Yeah the animations are clunky given its age but everything else was sublime, I had to think about every pass/shot/run I made with every player because every stat mattered to excess which is the essence of the premise that PES was created on. I could beat men for pace, keepers were not glued to the line, had great 1 on 1's with the keeper, and PA1 had quite comparable error depending on the passing stats of the player on the ball

The game was enthralling, and had everything that the now diluted modern era doesn't, really unpredictable to say the least.
Below is a wee snippet of the stats of a game I played being Manchester United against Arsenal on TP

I never gave this game much time of day when it was released, didn't have much time to play PES back then and I believe it was not too favourably received among critics as everything was compared to PES 6. I do not know what it'll be like after 100+ games but it certainly encapsulate the essence of a PES game was built on! This has been lost so much in the modern era. Going to continue to test more later
Glad you liked it,I was pleasantly surprised when I played it a few months back for the first time.
One thing stands out, freekicks,you can draw a lot.
And like you described,very subtle,need to plan attacks/run carefully,and also I like the defending more in 12 than 13.
I've had 12 as a backup in case my 13 gets boring or I just don't like it anymore.
ML is really good in it to,plus you can play as a "boss/chairman"

Took me a while to understand that you needed to gain some GP to be able to unlock "team players" if you're planning on starting a ML,if not getting the GP,you're left with master league fake players.

Surprisingly good game.
And it's very tough too
Cool that you're playing it

Glad to see the activity on our Corner and so many new users here dropping by. Welcome to all of you, enjoy your stay!

I'm finishing a word document with content such as the challenges we have going on here, for all the info about it to be accessible at any time; then I'll post it here on the thread and edit the first post to include the file.

Glad you liked it,I was pleasantly surprised when I played it a few months back for the first time.
One thing stands out, freekicks,you can draw a lot.
And like you described,very subtle,need to plan attacks/run carefully,and also I like the defending more in 12 than 13.
I've had 12 as a backup in case my 13 gets boring or I just don't like it anymore.
ML is really good in it to,plus you can play as a "boss/chairman"

Took me a while to understand that you needed to gain some GP to be able to unlock "team players" if you're planning on starting a ML,if not getting the GP,you're left with master league fake players.

Surprisingly good game.
And it's very tough too
Cool that you're playing it

Yeah man i've always reverted to PES 6 whenever I got bored of the current games.
Nice to have a game now to play that has the same philosophy of the older games but with better HD graphics.

Yeah man i've always reverted to PES 6 whenever I got bored of the current games.
Nice to have a game now to play that has the same philosophy of the older games but with better HD graphics.
I think that the animations in 12 and 13 are quite good,looks more life like than some player movements in 17,very fluid,and some weight when turning etc.
Or maybe I'm so used to them.
Great pace out of the box to,I always need to set modern games to -1 which makes it sluggish,and CPU catch up is there straight away.
Need to give 14 some TLC in the future to.
Pretty great having 2-3 really good games to chose from, especially when I'm giving 19 a pass

@Rayemou Thanks, but I have to say that went pretty much over my head :LOL: I've never owned a PS2 so all that stuff mentioned is alien to me. Are you saying that app can convert the PC PES6 option file into a PS one cos I didn't get that impression from reading the thread although like I say most of it is PS stuff that I know nothing about. I have the feeling you mean it would change a standard PS PES option file into those formats you mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom