The Retro-PES Corner

@rsl1: Hi, and welcome to the Corner, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Reading people's stories and experiences is so entertaining, it persuades us to try those games ourselves doesn't it?
As for your question of what we consider retro-PES here...when I created the thread I decided to open the discussion to any PES version except the current, latest one. Still, I suspected that a few older games would be more popular (like PES6, PES3...), mainly because the majority of PES fans do recognize the PS2 era as the "golden age" of PES games. After 85 pages on this thread, I don't remember anyone mentioning PES17 or 16 or 15 and even if someone did, games like PES2008 PS2, WE9LE or PES3 are lightyears ahead when it comes to popularity here on the Corner.
However, the purpose of the thread is to encourage people to try the whole collection of past PES games out there, from the oldest to the more recent ones, and play whichever version(s) they want - which goes against the established idea of modern gaming that you should definitely be playing the latest version because it's new.

Yes I agree, it is great to see and read everyone elses experiences and see the passion coming through.

I think I am trying to recreate or rekindle something that I had in my youth with ISS then the golden age pro evos on PS2. I still play the new game each year and this year is looking the best it has in a while but they are all missing something so the search continues annually.

The number of retro PES versions on my laptop is ridiculous, I currently have PES3,5,6,13, 14,17 & 18 plus WE9LE installed. I also have standalone variations of 6 such as nostalgia & classic patches and the standalone version of 13 Every 4 years.

On top of that I recently went out and purchased PES 2009 - 12 for the Xbox 360 to see if I liked any of those as they were all either 99p or less than £2 in CEX.

I think I may have a PES problem haha

Yes I agree, it is great to see and read everyone elses experiences and see the passion coming through.

I think I am trying to recreate or rekindle something that I had in my youth with ISS then the golden age pro evos on PS2. I still play the new game each year and this year is looking the best it has in a while but they are all missing something so the search continues annually.

The number of retro PES versions on my laptop is ridiculous, I currently have PES3,5,6,13, 14,17 & 18 plus WE9LE installed. I also have standalone variations of 6 such as nostalgia & classic patches and the standalone version of 13 Every 4 years.

On top of that I recently went out and purchased PES 2009 - 12 for the Xbox 360 to see if I liked any of those as they were all either 99p or less than £2 in CEX.

I think I may have a PES problem haha
Same here mate,bought a used PS3 a few years back to be able to play old-gen games (was stupid enough to sell my 360)
Bought 10-11-12-13-14 for it,and have 15-16-17-18 on Xbox one.
Most Pes games from 10-18 I've owned multiple times.
15 on 360 and 3 copies on Xbox one (one disc worn out,one missing)
16-17 on both 360/XB1
13 360/PS3
I'm currently ordering Pes 2008 for PS3 and searching for a decent PS2.

So yes,I also have a Pes problem (not with 19 though, boycott on that mf)

Same here mate,bought a used PS3 a few years back to be able to play old-gen games (was stupid enough to sell my 360)
Bought 10-11-12-13-14 for it,and have 15-16-17-18 on Xbox one.
Most Pes games from 10-18 I've owned multiple times.
15 on 360 and 3 copies on Xbox one (one disc worn out,one missing)
16-17 on both 360/XB1
13 360/PS3
I'm currently ordering Pes 2008 for PS3 and searching for a decent PS2.

So yes,I also have a Pes problem (not with 19 though, boycott on that mf)

@rockstrongo , on my third playstation 2 console now (since 2002, so one every six years is not bad). You may know this already, but steer well clear of the original, bulky version made from 2000 to 2004, most of those buggers fry after three or four years of use as Sony made all the DVD-Drive parts out of plastic.
:CURSE::CURSE::CURSE:

The slimline playstation 2 models are very reliable and Sony only halted production in 2013, amazing production run, so you could pick up a very recently made model.

@rockstrongo , on my third playstation 2 console now (since 2002, so one every six years is not bad). You may know this already, but steer well clear of the original, bulky version made from 2000 to 2004, most of those buggers fry after three or four years of use as Sony made all the DVD-Drive parts out of plastic.
:CURSE::CURSE::CURSE:

The slimline playstation 2 models are very reliable and Sony only halted production in 2013, amazing production run, so you could pick up a very recently made model.
Great advice mate,yeah I'll stay clear of the older bulky ones
So pissed off that I lost mine in a move -06.
Pretty amazing run,I must have bought my only one (yet) in late -00 or early -01
Bought a Dreamcast in that time period as well #shenmueftw
Thanks mate

Bit off topic, but have those of you on the PS2 emulator (or other emulators) tried any other interesting non-PES football games? Football Kingdom etc?

Goal of the Week, Contenders :

#1 Luyindula, PES 3 PC (CPU goal)

Such an amazing fast combination from the CPU after a seemingly harmless free kick. The ball had already crossed the goal line, when i started to realise what was happening.

#2 Own Goal, PES 3 PC

We love long range goals, volley goals, madjer goals, etc... But we also love goal mouth scramble. Such random things in a few seconds, amazing ! Don't judge me on my defending, though. :LOL:

#3 Drogba, PES 3 PC

Well, nothing to add, just enjoy !

@fmicablues7 Couple of great goals there but the OG had me in tears :LOL: If at first you don't succeed... Just love how he smacked it against the bar but undeterred he was first to the rebound :LOL:

To be honest, i was madder at the other defender. I'm sure the first guy would have been able to clear the ball after the rebound from the crossbar, but he is destabilized by that stupid number 22, which happens to be the Irish Richard Dunne @WhoAteMeDinner . :R1

I really need help if anyone is out there? ... i have installed pes 2013 onto my PC. it works fine (WHAT A GAME, forgot how good this was...anyway)

how do I install the patch which gives latest squads etc? I have downloaded it but I dont know what I am doing.

Bit off topic, but have those of you on the PS2 emulator (or other emulators) tried any other interesting non-PES football games? Football Kingdom etc?

Tried Football Kingdom and World Fantasista but it doesn't run good on emulator, many glitches.
Less on Football Kingdom but the game is a bit weird to control, and some issue with english translations version (it's an issue if you want to try some modes)
I really want to retry it on a real PS2 with a good translation...

Haven't tried yet on PCSX2, but ISS 3 is a good alternative, he is very underrated but was sorted out in the same time as PES golden age.
But the game have it have his own good vibes reminding Iss Deluxe/Iss 2000 on N64, presentation and all is "arcade", but in a good way if you know what i mean, i'd rather say there's more enthusiasm.

That's what i remember while i was playing the game... There's a PC version but it's nowhere near the PS2 and Gamecube version... Don't understand why it's have been downgraded on every aspect (even graphics... AI, maniability etc.)

I really need help if anyone is out there? ... i have installed pes 2013 onto my PC. it works fine (WHAT A GAME, forgot how good this was...anyway)

how do I install the patch which gives latest squads etc? I have downloaded it but I dont know what I am doing.

Is it the Space Patch? If it's that one, I just extracted and played it out as it was (putting the option file where it belongs of course)by launching it from the Pes space patch selector, it's practically the complete game.. the updates unfortunately made me crash the game but as of now I'm fine with just V.4

Luckily I didn't even had to delete the other Pes 2013 I have with the old rosters, they seem to coexist without problems (they don't share the same save folder).

Is it the Space Patch? If it's that one, I just extracted and played it out as it was (putting the option file where it belongs of course)by launching it from the Pes space patch selector, it's practically the complete game.. the updates unfortunately made me crash the game but as of now I'm fine with just V.4

Luckily I didn't even had to delete the other Pes 2013 I have with the old rosters, they seem to coexist without problems (they don't share the same save folder).
Yes Space Patch :)

So I don't need PES 2013 separately? I can just download Space Patch and play from there?

I am confused :LOL:

Yes Space Patch :)

So I don't need PES 2013 separately? I can just download Space Patch and play from there?

I am confused :LOL:

I thought too you needed Pes 2013, but apparently you don't. I was preparing myself to overwrite the files of the Pes 2013 I already had installed in the hard disk, but as I said above I extracted the game in another directory, just launched it out of curiosity from that space selector patch exe and it simply worked as a game on it's own.

If it doesn't work, there was this video eventually:

Last edited:
@fmicablues7 That first goal is amazing. Look at how incredibly good and natural the cpu looked. Truly impressive.

And that's a game of 15 years ago. To think we have to swallow every incredible excuse to not have a decent AI today..

I had never seen such a quick play by the CPU from a free-kick that far. But it felt natural like you said. The new PES generation miss that genuine feeling.

I thought too you needed Pes 2013, but apparently you don't. I was preparing myself to overwrite the files of the Pes 2013 I already had installed in the hard disk, but as I said above I extracted the game in another directory, just launched it out of curiosity from that space selector patch exe and it simply worked as a game on it's own.

If it doesn't work, there was this video eventually:

Thanks Mac.

I think I'm going to play this on PS3. your advice in PM was much appreciated but I simply don't really understand what I'm doing.

I think I'll do what @rockstrongo is doing and play it 'out of box' and do a La Liga with Valencia or similiar team...

:)

Thanks Mac.

I think I'm going to play this on PS3. your advice in PM was much appreciated but I simply don't really understand what I'm doing.

I think I'll do what @rockstrongo is doing and play it 'out of box' and do a La Liga with Valencia or similiar team...

Ash,Valencia,great team,great stadium.
Good choice.
If I restart I'm going with Rayo,can't beat a stadium with only 3 stands

So this sums up my game
My CB and goalie fucked it up.

They demolished me completely,4-1!

IMG_20180821_011049.jpg

Needed to edit this a few times since I'm steaming right now!
They were unstoppable,couldn't pass through them,they intercepted everythin,and their pass percentage?
Need to reconsider this game properly,felt very scripted!

Last edited:
A couple of Goal of the Week entrants... these came in the same game about five minutes apart!

#1 Goal 1 Test CM 373 (yes that's his name at the moment :) )

I loved the way my striker sort of blocked the keeper's view before moving out of the way at the last minute.

#2 Goal 2 Test WG 16 :) This one was by the AI, what a volley!

I love the final view, look at how the ball is starting to actually curve back away from the goal.

@WhoAteMeDinner and @mattmid: Over here we have the small country mentality, so anyone who proves himself internationally in any field is guaranteed to be treated as the second-coming of Jesus for the next few decades, by both the media and the people. Mourinho achieved that status long ago, so whenever he's going through a rough patch as he's right now people downplay it, and when he wins he's the best ever.
He has a particular thing about him though: he single-handedly changed the established, mainstream training method and invented one that is now the "standardized" method used by every single football coach in any professional team in Europe. Without going in too much detail, before Mourinho the mainstream method was compartimentalized: on day one we have fitness training, day 2 tactical training, day 3 defense...etc. What he did was to mix it all together so that when you're on fitness training, you do it whilst playing football: then you get to train multiple things at once. This was what won Porto the CL in 04, because that squad was fairly mediocre (Deco and Carvalho being the only above average) but you could easily see that the team was tactically light-years ahead of anyone else.

Then, as other managers began copying his method - and improving over it, like Guardiola did -, he no longer was "special". He's now just collecting paychecks and using his name to keep being relevant in the football world.

Apologize for the off-topic.

After calming down (breathe...don't kill the cat) I played my second game.
I figured that this game played flawlessly my first season ( a few strange game no more) so I should keep at it.

Don't know why my first game were so strange?
Derby?
Me being rusty (and shit)?
New players?
The gameplay was amazing again,this is why I play this game.
So much fun

Anyway,Granada at home,a game I should and must win.
I controlled the whole game,2-0 up after 20 minutes,smashed in 3-0 at the end of the half,my new signing Lafita scored that one.

Big Johnny G (Guidetti,aka cant stand chicken,will get food poisoning and have to rest for two seasons) bangs in a screamer for 4-0 at the 90 Min mark.

Next one is Las Palmas away

@fmicablues7 That first goal is amazing. Look at how incredibly good and natural the cpu looked. Truly impressive.

And that's a game of 15 years ago. To think we have to swallow every incredible excuse to not have a decent AI today..
Basically my disapointment and gripe about a game which should be ahead of its predecessors and not robotic laser guided to shoot always same.shots and no variations....it s a shame that s why i m.retro player and enjoying this retro corner

Thanks Mac.

Me.too man,i play with sevilla, best player is in that team is jesus navas rated 87

A couple of Goal of the Week entrants... these came in the same game about five minutes apart!

#1 Goal 1 Test CM 373 (yes that's his name at the moment :) )

I loved the way my striker sort of blocked the keeper's view before moving out of the way at the last minute.

#2 Goal 2 Test WG 16 :) This one was by the AI, what a volley!

I love the final view, look at how the ball is starting to actually curve back away from the goal.
In #1 goal did the ball disappear after it fall from the goalpost nets?

Tried Football Kingdom and World Fantasista but it doesn't run good on emulator, many glitches.
Less on Football Kingdom but the game is a bit weird to control, and some issue with english translations version (it's an issue if you want to try some modes)
I really want to retry it on a real PS2 with a good translation...

Haven't tried yet on PCSX2, but ISS 3 is a good alternative, he is very underrated but was sorted out in the same time as PES golden age.
But the game have it have his own good vibes reminding Iss Deluxe/Iss 2000 on N64, presentation and all is "arcade", but in a good way if you know what i mean, i'd rather say there's more enthusiasm.

That's what i remember while i was playing the game... There's a PC version but it's nowhere near the PS2 and Gamecube version... Don't understand why it's have been downgraded on every aspect (even graphics... AI, maniability etc.)
So iss3 is better on console than pc?I have the pc version but as I remember it was a direct ps2 to pc rip-off like the pes3.
Btw I don’t know if you watch closely the topic,someone two weeks ago found a psxc2 emu that works without stutter problems. It was version dev’s build ,fev’s bios. I remember you asked for it months ago.

Back
Top Bottom