The Retro-PES Corner

That PC Futbol or PC Calcio games are also known as Premier Manager (97, 98 etc.) in other countries. Really cool games, you could cheat by letting your striker mark the opponents goalkeeper :JAY: The same cheaty tactic also applies to Championship Manager 3 (which is my favorite football management game). There is a game being developed at the moment called Retro Football Boss, that kinda scratches the old school football management itch for me. The developer also is a PES fan (he showed a screenshot with the ML original players being put in the game).

I had no idea Premier Manager 97 and 98 were essentially Pc Calcio translated! I guess it was just those two, because from the 99 onwards they were developed by someone else. In Pc Calcio you could actually play the game in first person but reading the wiki I think they cutted this away from PM.

Retro Football Boss seems interesting. I've always wanted something like Out of the park Baseball but with football.

Yeah, we are in the era of the fast food gaming I guess, at least if we talk about big SH. Not want to generalize but there are so many examples like that. Always staying in the RTS field, look what they did with Warcraft. I could not quantify my love for Warcraft 2 and 3.. and they just became food for World of Warcraft, maybe the first and bigger responsible game for all the direction the market took.. it practically engulfed them, so that the strategic WC disappear forever as a saga.

Even if we are a bit off topic I guess it's a fascinating discussion, it's easier to understand as a whole why even Pes is going towards this direction.

Same thing for the RPGs. The Elder Scrolls especially. Skyrim was so dumbed down, compared to Oblivion, which was already simplified from the wonderful Morrowind.

After my historic win vs real madrid at home 2 weeks ago, comes matchday 16 vs the mighty blaugrana, with a full squad, while my team had suffered some reshuffling as alvaro negredo was out injured with a stomach bug, i had to put mano del moral at center forward.
Game was sublime with chances from both ends even with my 4 2 3 1 formation i managed to keep getting chances until i scored from a great header by mano del moral at the near post.
But then a messiesque goal came which i had no chances against el pulga with his acceleration and close control, managed to round my keeper and scored
Ended 1-1

The whole gaming industry right now is quite frustrating... Releasing half-finished games, and then completing them through patches and updates over the course of months and sometimes years. Games bloated with micro-transactions and DLC. And then the games that are either online only or heavily geared towards online play. Trying to play current games will be very difficult in 20 years when the servers are shut down and "updates" will be impossible to find.

But I guess no worries for us, we will still be playing our retro PES games that don't require any of those shenanigans. Rant over...

Checked the game "Cultures" on youtube , dude it looks awesome for a 2000 game.Nice graphics,nice mechanics.awesome. Now offtopic, but about the corruption of quality video games. You all know the good old RTS genre ,which was eliminated cause of LoL, DoTA and rest Mobas. Has any of you ever played the RTS "Empire Earth" and its awesome expansion "EE: The Art of Conquest"? In short terms it is the WE9LE of RTS video games genre. Awesome battle mechanics, awesome graphics for the age, far better than its rival Age Of Empires. If you played the sequels after it, EE II and EE III you will put out your own eyes.They are so bad in everything ,gameplay, graphics ,content (battle mechanics, shallow story mode, bad maps). It is the same case as PES, in cost of adding new useful content they removed vital mechanics that ruined the game completely.
It is the best example for me of how a video game can go corrupt from inside. SIERRA (the developer) should write an essay on how you can completely ruin an AAA+ video game in just one sequel.

@slamsoze ,
Cultures 2, released in 2002, had even better graphics, and btw, this cute, cartoon-like god game / RTS also had combat. It was very time-consuming but it did draw you into the little world you ruled.

Heard that about Empire Earth, I was like most of the other RTS gamers of the time: playing Age of Empires and Command and Conquer games.

The RTS / God game genres have definitely been almost destroyed by mobile and freemium RTS knock-offs. PES has at least an enormous back catalogue of classic games for us the retreat to, from all the instant entertainment, micro-payment mayhem. :SICK::SICK::SICK:

Same thing for the RPGs. The Elder Scrolls especially. Skyrim was so dumbed down, compared to Oblivion, which was already simplified from the wonderful Morrowind.
Let's not forget Diablo III the biggest disappointment in gaming history. Not only for the poor content and fans disappointment, but also for the 10 years of waiting from Diablo II to Diaplo III release, finally for nothing.

Yeah I think the one exception is The Witcher. I only discovered that about 18 months ago and played 1, 2 and 3 in order and to be honest was blown away by it, with each one getting better and Witcher 3 the best game I've ever played. Then again that's probably down to it being made by a Games company that cares about what it puts out.

Much as I tried I could never get into RTS games, I always preferred turn based one's which was a shame as some looked so good but I just couldn't take to them.

The whole gaming industry right now is quite frustrating... Releasing half-finished games, and then completing them through patches and updates over the course of months and sometimes years. Games bloated with micro-transactions and DLC. And then the games that are either online only or heavily geared towards online play. Trying to play current games will be very difficult in 20 years when the servers are shut down and "updates" will be impossible to find.

But I guess no worries for us, we will still be playing our retro PES games that don't require any of those shenanigans. Rant over...
I agree very few games are complete

For the World Live Season.. a game from today Serie A:

Parma - Udinese (me), Winning Eleven 2008 J-League Club Championship
parmaudinesejpg.jpg

Another nice draw. To my goal with small genious Totò Di Natale, Parma responds in the second half with a free kick by Gasbarroni. A lot of midfield play and few goal chances for both. No points for both!

I really really like the WLS challenge as it gives an unique bridge between real games, virtual football and past-present teams, but I think we should find some way to keep track of the global results or maybe rethink it a bit to make it easy for people to just jump in occasionally!

How amazing would it be to have a game with more than 50 attributes for a player? I think if you had a combination of all the FM, PES and FIFA attributes it would mean almost every player would be unique. That mixed with a retro style look then I'd be in heaven.

I really really like the WLS challenge as it gives an unique bridge between real games, virtual football and past-present teams, but I think we should find some way to keep track of the global results or maybe rethink it a bit to make it easy for people to just jump in occasionally!

I'm inclined to say a separate thread might be an idea but at the same time it's nice having everything all in one.

How amazing would it be to have a game with more than 50 attributes for a player? I think if you had a combination of all the FM, PES and FIFA attributes it would mean almost every player would be unique. That mixed with a retro style look then I'd be in heaven.

Man, that's my wet dream. Back at the times I used to think that for a game with that level of simulation/depth, I would have even played with the small circles of Championship Manager 2d match graphic.

I'd just throw money to somebody doing a similar game. Can we have somebody kick-starting a project like this :(?

All in all, we reach an inevitable conclusion: online gaming killed the potential of gaming itself. We see it in PES: in order to have people playing lots of online matches per day, to consume more of myClub and therefore spend more too, you can't have those people spending a lot of time tinkering with the tactical aspect of the game so they apply dumb overall player ratings, automatic formations, and dumb down the gameplay to be sure a PES player from anywhere in the world, of any level of skill/football knowledge and of any age can master it quickly.

Actually improving the game would mean to make it more complex, with more depth, but then you lose the 12-year-old kid who just wants to run the pitch with Mbappé on myClub. That's why we reach an interesting timeline such as this one where a 15-year-old game has a simple, basic thing called mental stats for players and the most modern - and the upcoming too! - version of the same game doesn't.

@Madmac79: I think that if we get more people playing the WLS, we could have a thread just for that like @mattmid said. Right now I don't believe it's justifiable, few are on it so it's still easy to keep track - as long as, like I said in the introduction post, each one updates the score when he plays and posts about a fixture.
However, I'm definitely doing what I said before: creating a document and displaying it on the Corner's original post with content for people to understand what challenges we're playing here, its rules, and everything about it.

"Yes sir,we have contact!
I see a civilasation down there."
IMG_20180819_162456.jpg

In other words,I started my second season with Betis (or preparing it by scouting a few players)

Took a while to get it up and running,but with the start of both La Liga Santander and Serie A this weekend,I'm on it!

So scouting and signing at least 2 midfielders and a striker will be my priority upcoming window.

BUT IM BACK!!!

For the World Live Season.. a game from today Serie A:

Parma - Udinese (me), Winning Eleven 2008 J-League Club Championship

Another nice draw. To my goal with small genious Totò Di Natale, Parma responds in the second half with a free kick by Gasbarroni. A lot of midfield play and few goal chances for both. No points for both!

Are there more fouls in WE 2008 J-League, than in PES 2008 ? Judging by your screenshot, it is higher than most of the games on PES 2008. But was it a one-shot ? That is my main complain about 2008, i wish it had an average total of fouls of 8-10, like PES 3 has.

Are there more fouls in WE 2008 J-League, than in PES 2008 ? Judging by your screenshot, it is higher than most of the games on PES 2008. But was it a one-shot ? That is my main complain about 2008, i wish it had an average total of fouls of 8-10, like PES 3 has.

I think it's on par with Pes 2008, honestly. Some games I get a little more, some others some less, it depends if I trigger cpu's aggressivity or not. I play 10 minutes matches to give you context.

Honestly I'm personally ok as there is some variety.

All in all, we reach an inevitable conclusion: online gaming killed the potential of gaming itself. We see it in PES: in order to have people playing lots of online matches per day, to consume more of myClub and therefore spend more too, you can't have those people spending a lot of time tinkering with the tactical aspect of the game so they apply dumb overall player ratings, automatic formations, and dumb down the gameplay to be sure a PES player from anywhere in the world, of any level of skill/football knowledge and of any age can master it quickly.

Actually improving the game would mean to make it more complex, with more depth, but then you lose the 12-year-old kid who just wants to run the pitch with Mbappé on myClub. That's why we reach an interesting timeline such as this one where a 15-year-old game has a simple, basic thing called mental stats for players and the most modern - and the upcoming too! - version of the same game doesn't.

@Madmac79: I think that if we get more people playing the WLS, we could have a thread just for that like @mattmid said. Right now I don't believe it's justifiable, few are on it so it's still easy to keep track - as long as, like I said in the introduction post, each one updates the score when he plays and posts about a fixture.
However, I'm definitely doing what I said before: creating a document and displaying it on the Corner's original post with content for people to understand what challenges we're playing here, its rules, and everything about it.
Imagine how things changed from pes2013 until today.In pes2013 ML the game tips suggested to play online and gather GP points to buy equipment in ML,boots,training staff etc.In 2018 the game pushes us with every power to abuse ML skipping matches with a power house to earn some thousands GP to use them in MyClub for shitty contracts..
Also a problem I saw in pes2008ps and I need any advice especially of @geeeeee who is the Sith Lord of 2008 :P and has worked on editing.I tried to create Sp Recife emblem in game which is evitable,a lion holding a shield inside a bigger shield.When I finished parts composition in 128pixels mode and pressed stock it turns to a complete black square wallpaper,although I converted my memory cards to 32mb in pscx2 emulator.Any ideas?Is that a bug in the emu?It works normally in real console?

Last edited:
I am curious about this wls challenge. I would love to know more about it.

PS: anyone interested to have some online WE9LE can PM me. I went on the server many times but never found anyone connected when I was.

After my historic win vs real madrid at home 2 weeks ago, comes matchday 16 vs the mighty blaugrana, with a full squad, while my team had suffered some reshuffling as alvaro negredo was out injured with a stomach bug, i had to put mano del moral at center forward.
Game was sublime with chances from both ends even with my 4 2 3 1 formation i managed to keep getting chances until i scored from a great header by mano del moral at the near post.
But then a messiesque goal came which i had no chances against el pulga with his acceleration and close control, managed to round my keeper and scored
Ended 1-1
How long games do you play?

Goal of the Week votes:
Davids -> 0 votes
Lallana -> 3 votes - @Madmac79 @Special4988 @mcarnage
Park Jyun Hi -> 2 votes - @fmicablues7 @mattmid
Holland -> 4 votes - @miguelfcp @lazoli @Chilleverest @papinho81
Mane -> 2 votes - @geeeeee @rockstrongo

The winner of this week's Retro-PES Goal of the Week is...@Rayemou!
Congratulations man, Holland's goal was truly fantastic and showcases the potential of the great game PES3 is. Goals like this make people want to play the game.
As for your prize, here it is: two tickets for ML United's next home match (vs. Atletico Madrid for the WEFA Championships).

To the people who participated and didn't win, many thanks and don't despair; it's Monday so...

The Retro-PES Goal of the Week is back! Submit your goals here on the Corner and we'll vote next weekend.

Retro-PES Goal of the Week winners
August
Week #1 - @mattmid
Week #2 - @Rayemou
Week #3 - ????

After 4-5 hours of finishing season one and starting season two,with selling and buying players,upgrading staff etc I’m ready for season two with Betis

Sold 4-5 older players (around 67-70 ovr) and brought in 7 players.

Coda Udinese CB €3,9 m
Jefferson LB free
Costa LB Sampdoria €1,6
Marques LMF Parma €1,9
Lafita RMF Getafe €4,4
Okaka FW free
Niellendner LMF/RMF youth

Team is looking sharper this season,I’d say average ovr is 77.
Strong defence,when fit 77-79 ovr
Midfield probably 78 ovr
Gk 81/78/76
Weak spot is my fw,but I’d say my top three strikers will get 10 goals a piece this year.
My main midfielder Beñat got pissed off with me by not selling him,guess he’ll moan for a while.

I’m deffo aiming for 5-7 position this year.
Some good news,since I missed out on Europe by finishing in 8th,I was pretty disappointed,I’m ok with a 8th place(was aiming for top 10) but the winners of Copa del Rey must have had a Euro spot already,so I got it by finishing 8
Pretty sweet,Europe baby!
First game tmw,starting with the Sevilla derby,tough one!
Decided to stay on TP,playing 20 min games and manual,probably get beaten left and right since I haven’t played in 3 weeks
But can’t wait!

@rockstrongo nice signings. I remember Marques having good dribbling and Okaka being a decent big striker (liked his playstyle in real life even if he never scored that much). I miss doing this kind of transfer sessions!

Sure you'll do great.

@rockstrongo nice signings. I remember Marques having good dribbling and Okaka being a decent big striker (liked his playstyle in real life even if he never scored that much). I miss doing this kind of transfer sessions!

Sure you'll do great.
Thank you so much @Madmac79
Hopefully they’ll turn out great,bit worried I’d get my ass kicked at first,but I’m ok with that,can’t really go back to professional,TP is much more realistic
Ps,got myself a season pass to both La Liga and Serie A a few days ago,been watching 3-4 games a day,saw Lazio v Napoli,you need some working this season,Immobile stunning as always though.
Best of luck with the season mate,my Roma weren’t that good either,a lucky 1-0 win vs Torino,Torino should have won that game.
Thanx mate

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this thread and wondered what you'd consider retro PES?
The reason I ask is because I've recently tried to get back into PES 3, 5 (well WE9LE) and 6 but am really struggling. They ran horribly in windows 10 at first and I have now got them to run somewhat smoothly fiddling with Nvidia settings, compatibility modes and directs injectors but I can't immerse myself in them like I did back in the day. They still aren't super smooth so I'm not sure if that is the reason or if the animations are just too outdated for me these days?

I also have 2013 and enjoy that a bit more as it's pretty smooth out of the box but even with the gameplay tool I still find the ball a bit floaty and the animations a bit stunted.

I have recently reinstalled the much maligned PES 2014. I found a PTE patch so have the correct names, kits etc and started a Master League on professional as Dortmund.
It's not easy and the slow pace and methodical build up make it hard to create chances. First game was preseason friendly v Chelsea and they were 3-0 up at half time.

I did play this game on ps3 when it first came out and it had many problems, but I'm really enjoying it on PC at be the moment.

Just wondered what everybody thought ask know it is often touted as the worst PES ever by so far so good for me this time around.

If anybody has any tips on running 3/5 or 6 on windows 10 I'd appreciate them. I have tried pretty much everything I could find on forums but it's still not super smooth like it should be or like I've seen on YouTube vids.
My laptop runs 2013 through to 2017 smooth and 2018 runs ok so I should be able to run 3/5 and 6 right?

Finally, I am loving this thread and 3veryones enthusiasm for the older games. I read the updates on my commute in to work every morning.

I remember playing Donkey Kong Country on an emulator back in 2004/2005 and considered that retro. So technically I'd say anything over 10 years.
Next year the first PES game will be old enough to drink :D

Back
Top Bottom