The Retro-PES Corner

Hey guys,

as promised, Im gonna livestream PES 3 tommorow. Doing a small test today, gonna finish up Season 8 with some nice city pop in the background have a few games to go. It's only 480p 30fps but I dont have any better.

Give it a go please, tell me if qualitys good enough!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnjinMiuraPL/live

EDIT: try this?

EDIT: I keep tinkering with settings, pls help me with figuring things out :(

Last edited:
forest-spirits.jpg

@mattmid , look at the fans that you could have in a PES / Studio Ghibli football game. These guys would give the Millwall F.C. hard men a run for their money. :BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF:
Bermondsey Ghost crew!
Aka Forest 105'ers

I downloaded it from steam on I think Monday or maybe Tuesday and I haven't even looked yet.
It's weird mate,always been very "on" when it comes to new Pes games,this year when playing retro,I don't really care.
I'm not even sure I'll buy it, definitely not on aug 30 anyways.
Which game do you play the most now?
Pes 5

Pes6 and We9le are the two I play most. I know what you mean about this year I didn't buy one for a few years until getting 17 on a steam sale, but I tried the demo every year pretty much right away. I was going to have a look at it the last couple of days but felt more inclined to play the old one's instead.

Hey guys,

as promised, Im gonna livestream PES 3 tommorow. Doing a small test today, gonna finish up Season 8 with some nice city pop in the background have a few games to go. It's only 480p 30fps but I dont have any better.

Give it a go please, tell me if qualitys good enough!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnjinMiuraPL/live

EDIT: try this?

EDIT: I keep tinkering with settings, pls help me with figuring things out :(

Weird,
It's weird mate,always been very "on" when it comes to new Pes games,this year when playing retro,I don't really care.
I'm not even sure I'll buy it, definitely not on aug 30 anyways.
Which game do you play the most now?
Pes 5

PES 3 all day (on the Playstation 2), all week, all year. Greatest game ever.:BAND:

@miguelfcp and @mattmid , gents any final advice on team selection in PES 6 Default Originals Challenge (Restart Number 8, GULP :((). I am actually sort of broken by this challenge, but giving it one more go.

What formation is best in your opinions, in the early seasons when all the default players are as slow as snails ?

@Anjin Looks ok on that video, quality isn't great but it's watchable.

@WhoAteMeDinner 9-0-1 Big Sam special. Keep 'em out and lump it up to Hamsun. Seriously though I'm just trying to think what I played in the first couple of season's I remember changing a couple of times. I know @miguelfcp played three at the back. I remember i played Minanda at SS quite a lot in the first season so I could play Stein and Dodo in CM with Ximilez and Espimas wide, bringing on Burchett for one of them in the second half or sometimes bringing him on up front. Huylens and Ordaz were up front until I discovered Hamsun was developing well but I don't think he did much in the first season other than knock people over. I think Huylens was my top scorer in either season 1 or 2 with 6, must have been season 2, I'm not sure I even scored 6 in season 1 :LOL: It's probably worth going for 0-0's for the points to be honest!

Make sure you have 8 pre season friendlies the first 2-3 season's as it helps teamwork as well as getting the final points you need hopefully!

@Anjin Looks ok on that video, quality isn't great but it's watchable.

@WhoAteMeDinner 9-0-1 Big Sam special. Keep 'em out and lump it up to Hamsun. Seriously though I'm just trying to think what I played in the first couple of season's I remember changing a couple of times. I know @miguelfcp played three at the back. I remember i played Minanda at SS quite a lot in the first season so I could play Stein and Dodo in CM with Ximilez and Espimas wide, bringing on Burchett for one of them in the second half or sometimes bringing him on up front. Huylens and Ordaz were up front until I discovered Hamsun was developing well but I don't think he did much in the first season other than knock people over. I think Huylens was my top scorer in either season 1 or 2 with 6, must have been season 2, I'm not sure I even scored 6 in season 1 :LOL: It's probably worth going for 0-0's for the points to be honest!

Make sure you have 8 pre season friendlies the first 2-3 season's as it helps teamwork as well as getting the final points you need hopefully!

Thanks for that @mattmid , sounds like a very similar formation to the PES 2 Master league days many years back, and of playing a 5-4-1 and only being able to score from the penalty spot.
I think you did mighty well scoring six goals in the first three seasons, I usually score about four each season.
:SICK::SICK::SICK:

Will take your advice and use Huylens alot this time early on, before his legs go.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Yeah as Matt said I use a back-3. 3-5-2, two wingbacks, 1 DMF, 1 CMF, 1 AMF, two strikers. The challenge is extra-hard on PES6 because unlike on 2008, you don't have prospects like El Moubarki or Gutierrez who develop very well.
On the first seasons of the save, I always recommend to focus more on developing players, even if it means losing almost every match as a consequence. It's not like you're going to be promoted on season one (unless the stars align somehow) so try to play your younger players as much as possible, even if you end up rock bottom in the league. I'd say the first 2/3 seasons will serve no other purpose but to upgrade your players' stats (by the way make sure every pre-season you assign individual or collective training!).
I also recommend to focus on the D2 Cup, with a bit of luck and effort you could win precious PES points for your salaries by reaching the later rounds of the competition.

Now regarding the tactical approach...I'm with Matt there: Stein and Dodo should play together in the midfield, regardless of the tactic. They develop nicely, and are extremely reliable from the start. Also, to take proper advantage of Minanda, I'd find a way to play a classic nº10 behind the strikers (Ordaz and Hamsun?). Defensively, a back-3 exposes less of Jaric's poor aerial ability and makes Libermann shine as the central CB, as he has the protection of the two other CBs alongside him. On the wings, Espimas still has a lot to offer as either a RMF or a RWB and don't overlook Giersen, I'm on my season 8 and still I find him to be very useful and reliable.

@mattmid: You know, I've never tried this, but a low-stats/high mental stats league could take the experience to a whole new level really. It would mean more reliance on player intelligent/stability and less on player stats, and force you to play the game accordingly. Interested to see how that experience plays out, usually (always?) in PES the players have better statsheets as a whole, excluding mentality/teamwork, than those exact two stats. If you flip it upside down, what will you get?

Goal of the Week
#1 - Park Jyun Hi - PES08 PS2

Why was this goal special:
1 - Park Jyun Hi is turning out to be a bust, a waste of a pick, a striker who doesn't score goals and contributes with nothing to our team. Having him scoring this beauty shocked me to the bones.
2 - Typically when I score a lob I have to slow the player down first, and then trigger it. This time I just kept running at full speed before the shot, which makes it much more harder to be a successful one.

--
Gutierrez, the first ML United player to reach the 200th appearance for the club!
XBNO95D.jpg

He also has changed his shirt number from 28 to 10, which was Minanda's before he retired a few seasons ago - and had been vacant ever since. Coincidence or not, since he changed the number he hasn't scored a single goal in 4 fixtures, remember he's the league's top scorer for 2 years in a row currently. Is ML United's no.10 shirt jinxed forever?

I also recommend to focus on the D2 Cup, with a bit of luck and effort you could win precious PES points for your salaries by reaching the later rounds of the competition

There's a cup!? :LOL: Hang on you mean there's another round in it?

I've just played a couple of test games although the squads aren't right yet as I was keen just to see what the players are like so I left them set as the were from the FM18 (start of 17/18) so teams are not accurate as far as personnel goes but enough so that I can get a feel for it. I really enjoyed both games. They are possibly quicker and more agile in their movement than the teams I've played with so far in the Irish league (except Cork) but technique is generally poorer with quite a few heavy touches and loose balls from weaker passing. The mental side is not great at least not for this team for most of them but the teamwork was generally 60/70 with some higher. Just checked and across the squad the average mentality is 52 but teamwork is 67. Consistency is averaging 4 with a couple of players on 2 so good luck getting a constant tune out of those! The other thing that stands out is the taller players have a real physical advantage over the naturally generally smaller size of most of the players.

I had one domestic midfielder in my first team, Bhayangkhara , although a quick check shows he's now moved on to the Malaysian League (perhaps better quality?) and he looked quite a cut above the rest and got an 8.0 in the game ratings! He had passing in the high 70's and it really showed. I ended up losing 2-1 and the other side, Madura, had a certain Peter Odemwingie playing on the RW for them! He set up the winner. I also had a player that you may know called Paulo Sergio who transfermkt shows as once of Sporting Lisbon and via a fair few other clubs latterly of Olhanense He also showed up well.

I had a quick look at the current league table and it looks like a tight league. It's 20 games in and 1st to 14th (18 team league) are separated by just 10 pts. Looks like it would be a fun league to play.

@miguelfclp Great goal! Not pleased to hear Park is turning into a bust as I signed him as well remember.

The number 10 shirt is too heavy to carry, there's only one man up to that task :)

@miguelfcp mate, that lob! To think you were still running make it even more impressive. Lately I've been sending all my lob tries directly to my virtual supporters in the stadium seats :LOL:, no matter the Pes version. Well done, considering also that Park guy seems like another guy on paid vacation. Maybe it was his way to say sorry!

.. by the way.. never, EVER change the shirt number of a player who did well.. I think this rule in football comes even before "put the ball over the goal line :P"!

@mattmid: If you ever got out of the first round of the D2 cup in your save I bet the game would glitch and corrupt your save! :D

Sounds like a very tough league to play in. Naturally, "star players" (I bet that midfielder guy is a star with those passing stats) shine even more, must be a beauty to see their individuality stand out even more.
Man, I thought both of those guys had retired! Paulo Sérgio, here's a name I hadn't heard in ages. Searched for him in google and this is what came up:
Link
Scored it for your team, Byanghajdfefjfifgv or something. Glad it doesn't qualify as a Retro-PES Goal of the Week, or else my chances of winning would decrease a lot.

I still haven't given up on Park, he's still 20/21 I believe...but when a guy like Matic who's built like a skyscraper has better mobility and availability to participate in our offense than Park, it says it all...

@Madmac79: I know what you mean, my all-time lob accuracy on football games must be like 0,10% or something like that. And to do it with this piece of sh*t? Instant-classic. The highlight reel of Park's career will have exactly 5 minutes, 30 seconds for a brief introduction of the player and 4:30 minutes of this goal, repeated ad nauseam.
I'm seriously considering changing it back, learnt not to mess with the will of the God of PES. He's doing fine on the WEFA though, at least on goal-scoring, but he's still sluggish like I've never seen him. Might have to do an exorcism later on.

@miguelfcp mate, that lob! To think you were still running make it even more impressive. Lately I've been sending all my lob tries directly to my virtual supporters in the stadium seats :LOL:, no matter the Pes version. Well done, considering also that Park guy seems like another guy on paid vacation. Maybe it was his way to say sorry!

.. by the way.. never, EVER change the shirt number of a player who did well.. I think this rule in football comes even before "put the ball over the goal line :P"!

About the shirt number i was planning to write an essay!!! :P :P from my personal experience. Although i don't believe in supernatural powers, bad luck, negative energy etc i have some superstitions about shirt number which i keep since the early days of PES 3 & PES 4.
First of all for my basic Striker in starting 11, especially when he is a youth prospect i assign him with number "18" and when he is someone special i am really connected to him i give him "23", i love this number for some reason. Back in the PES 4 days i used to give number "9" to main Striker but without knowing if it was a placebo or not, my player stopped from scoring consecutively. When i was younger i used to thought "Oh look at KONAMI, they have even implemented in their game an algorithm so the player feels the weight of the number he carries and the importance of his role" . I remember one specific save in PES 5 or 6 where i gave number 9 to F. Caicedo , a very promising youngster by that time, and he got injured with red cross for the rest of the season,something like 30 or 40 weeks. For those old pes games, loosing so much progress was a carrier breaker for a young player, he lost so much development that he never could come back again to as a good progress rate. The next player i gave 9 was Luiz Adriano, who also by coincidence got injured for about 4 months (16 weeks). After that i never ever since then gave the number 9 to my striker, unless he was in my team for more than 3 seasons and was established in the squad.
The same applies for Number "10". i will give it to someone even to a Zidane regen, only after some seasons that he proves himself worthy of carrying the 10 number! For midfield players with good technique i prefer number 8 or 17,19,20 when they are more CMF+AMF hybrids like Arteta, Rosicky, Cazorla and when they are versatile/all around like David Silva used to be in the old games, i give them 7 or 21 which is my favorite number and i give only to special players. After goes number 11 which goes to clear WFs legends like Joaquin, Vicente ,Mitea (Ajax), Jesus Navas. And last but not least, i always give "14" to a "T. Henry-like" player, a delicate technician FW with good speed and attacking awareness. For example in the newer iterations i give it to Mbappe, after the first season. And finally i always save number "35" for Igor Akinfeev or a similar promising GoalKeeper that starts as promising sub but does the improvement jump and becomes a world class GK, at least in ML. :)

Last edited:
Original PES3 database is the shit. I was thinking about fixing all the fake player names and even got started on it, but soon enough I've realized its worthless. PES 3 is perfect as it is, out of the box, no doubt the greatest PES game ever for me so far.

That being said I am jelly of you guys playing newer J-League PES games. I used to play WE2001 J-League Edition on PCSX and it was beautiful, my favourite Japanese team was Urawa and they had one OP winger Masayuki(?) Okano, his speed stat was 19/20, IIRC he was only J-League player with that speed, he was simply uncatchable. I had to stop using him at some point because it was straight out unfair :(

Nowadays those numbers would mean nothing and some Ligue 2 random would get him 9 out of 10 times but let's not bother ourselves with it, shall we.

In other news, I've figured out some things. Moved to Twitch and it runs way better. Might not be stable 60fps but at least it looks somehow. Season 8 ended with 1-0 win in D1 Cup Final against RKM and 2-0 win over Lombardia in WEFA Champs Final. Had a quick test on Twitch today and 4-0d Ruhr in the final fixture of Season 8. Did you know that back in the day players could get a higher rating than 8.5?

pes3 18-08-2018 12-30-06-421.png

In 3-4 hours from now on I'll be starting Season 9 and I will definitely prove Commonwealth is legit. Truth to be told I just can't stand being accused of things, so yeah I hope you'll be there to verify me :D Not to mention it's good opportunity to give streaming a go. If it turns out stream quality will be stable I wouldn't be against streaming some PS2 PES games every now and then, some master leagues, some tournaments (WC 2002 in PES 3?)...we will see about this.

I will drop the link once the whole thing gets started. See you then :)

Okay, tune in I'm starting this thing in about a minute or two. We're all set for Season 9!

https://www.twitch.tv/siranjin_pl I just pray it all works out and won't lag or something

EDIT: K I am done, except of one impressive comeback by North London it was a good sessions, got a bunch of good wins in, gonna clip two or three best goals later.

For anyone still questioniong/willing to see how its done, here's the full video of the entire thing - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/298840644

Thanks to everyone who was there :)

Last edited:
Retro-PES Goal of the Week

It's Saturday, you know what that means: it's time to vote for the Retro-PES Goal of the Week! Remember, over the weekend you can vote on your favourite goal.
I think I collected all the goals submitted, if your goal isn't here on the list please say so and I'll add it.

@Special4988 - Davids (WE9)

@mattmid - Lallana (PES6 PC)

@miguelfcp - Park Jyun Hi (PES08 PS2)
giphy.gif

@Rayemou - Holland (PES3)

@geeeeee - Mane (PES08 PS2)
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

-----
To vote, copy this list and add your username next to the player who scored your favourite goal:

Goal of the Week votes:
Davids -> 0 votes
Lallana -> 0 votes
Park Jyun Hi -> 0 votes
Holland -> 0 votes
Mane -> 0 votes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom