The Retro-PES Corner

Three straight away games (cheers Konami)
Barcelona,this game was done after 20 Min when I was 3-0 down.
They had a field day with my very weak defense (had to rest a few players!
Should have been 6-0.

2nd game Real Sociedad (funnily enough with non Basque players)
Started well,2-0 up at halftime,then it went down the crapper.
1-2 in a poorly marked corner, then they went long to a striker that were 4-5 meters offside,I wasn't able to super cancel that pass,and my last defender chested it to their striker,revoking the offside and 2-2.
In the 80th they scored the game winner on a penalty!
I'm on a tough run atm....
Icing on the cake,the week up to my next game,my 79 ovr LB Abdel Shafey out injured,for 24 weeks...jeez!

Last game were a slaughter,Vs Osasuna,I beat them 5-0.
Don't think they had more than 3-4 shots,while I scored on everything.
Last 3 goals came on counters while they tried to get any sort of result.
IMG_20180723_020126.jpg

Next game is the derby Vs Sevilla,since I'm in 8th place after 30 games,I need this one!

Last edited:
@rockstrongo You went 3-0 down after 20mins? That must've been a looong game. Look at the variety in those 3 games you reported though, classic PES. This series as often done well to recreate that sentiment of no 2 games in the league are the same. Especially if you're a mid tier team, that feeling of taking it one fixture at a time.

Thrashed by Barca, great start against Sociedad and then it all goes down the shitter and finally giving your supporters a treat with a one sided drubbing. Love it.

Spots 4-8 are still reasonably close. Anything can happen over the next 8 games and considering theirs only 11 points separating you from the top, that's a real tight table!

@rockstrongo You went 3-0 down after 20mins? That must've been a looong game. Look at the variety in those 3 games you reported though, classic PES. This series as often done well to recreate that sentiment of no 2 games in the league are the same. Especially if you're a mid tier team, that feeling of taking it one fixture at a time.

Thrashed by Barca, great start against Sociedad and then it all goes down the shitter and finally giving your supporters a treat with a one sided drubbing. Love it.

Spots 4-8 are still reasonably close. Anything can happen over the next 8 games and considering theirs only 11 points separating you from the top, that's a real tight table!
Nightmare of a game, never had a chance.
I think it's great that the games are so different from each other
Not really happy with the standings though,wonder if it's because of game difficulty?
Some team should pull away.
Thanx man,getting to the end of this season,it's been fun

couldn't get on here or get as many games in over the weekend as I would've liked as I was away wrestling over the weekend (Yeah I'm a Wrestler :D). However late last night I finally got round to revisiting PES 2013 for the first time in about nearly 5 years. I enjoyed returning to '11 for a short while and appreciated the series finally started catching up with modern mechanics but '11 was still a bit too floaty and zippy for me and the animations left a lot to be desired.

On the note of PES 2011, check out Pedro's best Kevin Keegan '82 recreation.

GIF-180718_102629.gif

PES 2013 however, is as great as I remembered it. Can't believe how well it holds up for a last gen footy game. solid animations, great pace, I'm playing on normal speed and the game still feels slow enough. Good ball physics and some decent goal keeping.

Buffon Save.gif

De Gea save.gif

Is this the last time we had great, reliable goalkeepers until '17 & '18?

Once we came over to the Fox engine, they just felt like bots that would just crumple to the floor and concede with little effort, not players that were part of your team passionate about keeping your side in it.

couldn't get on here or get as many games in over the weekend as I would've liked as I was away wrestling over the weekend (Yeah I'm a Wrestler :D). However late last night I finally got round to revisiting PES 2013 for the first time in about nearly 5 years. I enjoyed returning to '11 for a short while and appreciated the series finally started catching up with modern mechanics but '11 was still a bit too floaty and zippy for me and the animations left a lot to be desired.

View attachment 5298

PES 2013 however, is as great as I remembered it. Can't believe how well it holds up for a last gen footy game. solid animations, great pace, I'm playing on normal speed and the game still feels slow enough. Good ball physics and some decent goal keeping.

View attachment 5299

View attachment 5300

Once we came over to the Fox engine, they just felt like bots that would just crumple to the floor and concede with little effort, not players that were part of your team passionate about keeping your side in it.
pes 13 has that slow motion feel when u shoot, it s problem that started around that time for pes, when u shoot around the box feels like gk slow motion jump

@WhoAteMeDinner Fenwick was a very average defender (and worse manager). Agree it was a deliberate elbow but that doesn't justify blatantly punching the ball into the net (still think Shilton should have got there first anyway!) That would happen every other week in football if that was the case with the flying elbows around. :D You only have to look at Maradona now to see his true character, he didn't need to get elbowed to cheat. One of the greatest ever players but evidently not a nice person it would seem.

Have you been playing your Originals challenge on PES6 lately, @mattmid? Yesterday I fired up PES08 PS2 to continue my ML - hadn't played it for about a month - and in the end I don't think it was a good idea: 4 matches, 0 wins. It's my second season on the D1, first one playing european competitions...what a nightmare my schedule is. Right now I'm forced to rotate the squad as much as I can - even got to the point of subbing off players at halftime, not because they're not playing well but because I don't want them to accumulate more fatigue. Remember I only have a few newgen acquisitions (1 GK, 1 DC, 1 ST) and the rest of the squad is the default ML team, so it's not a good idea to rotate too much of the squad as we still have 70-year-old Valenys and Espimas and Zamenhofs.

I haven't played my ML challenge since the last update in this thread. Not had too much time lately and also got hooked on WE9 as well when I did have some time. :D Must get back to it soon though. I think I'd had 5 retire as of the end of season 7 if I remember correctly.

@rockstrongo The table doesn't look too bad apart from those Real Madrid/Barcelona losses. If those two were 8-10 pts clear it would look pretty realistic I think.

View attachment 5298

View attachment 5299

View attachment 5300

Lovely videos @MafiaMurderBag
Pace on zero gamespeed is sublime,first game in ages (modern ones especially) that has speed and animations nailed.
If you go -1/2 on 17-18,animations just gets weird.
Yes, goalkeepers in this game is so good,so in touch with what's going on in and outside their box.
Now that you've said you're a wrestler I imagine you as Karelin!
Screenshot_20180723-125646~2.png

@WhoAteMeDinner Fenwick was a very average defender (and worse manager). Agree it was a deliberate elbow but that doesn't justify blatantly punching the ball into the net (still think Shilton should have got there first anyway!) That would happen every other week in football if that was the case with the flying elbows around. :D You only have to look at Maradona now to see his true character, he didn't need to get elbowed to cheat. One of the greatest ever players but evidently not a nice person it would seem.

I haven't played my ML challenge since the last update in this thread. Not had too much time lately and also got hooked on WE9 as well when I did have some time. :D Must get back to it soon though. I think I'd had 5 retire as of the end of season 7 if I remember correctly.

@rockstrongo The table doesn't look too bad apart from those Real Madrid/Barcelona losses. If those two were 8-10 pts clear it would look pretty realistic I think.
Yes,I've wonder if it's down to the fact that I'm playing professional.
Wonder if Barca and RM would pull away in TP/SS?

And talking losses.
When I started my retro gaming I started out on Pes 11.
As Napoli,and after a few games I played Juventus,got beat 6-1.
I treated Pes 11 as a modern game, pressure,chasing etc.
Big mistake

31 games in om professionell difficuty
IMG_20180723_020126.jpg

Vs 32 games in on TP difficulty
IMG_20180723_141328.jpg

So there's a clear difference in how much sharper the top teams are on this level.
Probably less "comebacks" and "even out the scores/tables as well
So I'm going TP next season,looking fw to Barca and RM away...

@rockstrongo Very interesting. I did come to post that the AI has always shared this pattern throughout the series that professional difficulty always seems to show some mercy and allow the player to catch up with them in the league which is what gives you the impression of heroic comebacks occasionally and makes you lose then thrash a team just to seem "balanced".

It does help that you're playing with a mid tier team so helps making the results seem more acceptable. I found that when playing as the strongest most successful team in ML or competitions, you get this same swings & roundabouts pattern on results which just comes off as frustrating and unbelievable.

Couple more gifs.

First up, in my first game on '13, Ba seals the game in The Super Sunday clash when I was pressuring as United chasing an equalizer and my defence got completely split in 2 with 1 pass. Love the way Ba realistically starts diagonally sprinting towards the goal rather than running in a straight line into my keepers hands like on old games.

Ba Goal.gif

Secondly, how on Earth was a Penalty not given? Shambolic!

Penalty.gif

@rockstrongo Very interesting. I did come to post that the AI has always shared this pattern throughout the series that professional difficulty always seems to show some mercy and allow the player to catch up with them in the league which is what gives you the impression of heroic comebacks occasionally and makes you lose then thrash a team just to seem "balanced".

It does help that you're playing with a mid tier team so helps making the results seem more acceptable. I found that when playing as the strongest most successful team in ML or competitions, you get this same swings & roundabouts pattern on results which just comes off as frustrating and unbelievable.
Yeah it's interesting.
I kinda felt that my players were watered down when playing,always taking a bad touch,losing 50/50 battles,CPU having comebscks,not being able to shut down a game when being Infront.
And I felt a huge difference when I played my derby Vs Sevilla just now on TP

Couple more gifs.

First up, in my first game on '13, Ba seals the game in The Super Sunday clash when I was pressuring as United chasing an equalizer and my defence got completely split in 2 with 1 pass. Love the way Ba realistically starts diagonally sprinting towards the goal rather than running in a straight line into my keepers hands like on old games.

View attachment 5307

Secondly, how on Earth was a Penalty not given? Shambolic!

View attachment 5308
That's a pen 8 days a week man

Decided to start playing top player instead of professional for my Sevilla derby.
Been kinda frustrated with professional and it's comebacks and "even all out" so rather lose properly and obviously win properly.

The CPU are sharper,but less help from me,50/50 battles are 50/50,my players aren't running past the ball when having chances,the CPU kinda had training wheel on everything

This game was so good,saw things and combinations I haven't seen before.
But most importantly,it's less on rails,even though I played manual before,manual on TP opens up the game.
Fantastic game.
I lost it 2-1,but never felt cheated,their goals were my mistakes,not covering spaces properly etc
I had one in the crossbar late into the game,also had one big chance in injury time,one on one with the GK,came in from the left he had his angles covered and gk came out and I chipped it outside.
That chance would have been a goal 10/10 on Pes 16/17/18.

I'm keeping the game on TP,this was orgasmic shit lads.
Btw,ball physics and shooting is widely discussed in the 19 thread.
How about these apples for shooting

Last edited:
guys how can i get 3000 pes points in winning eleven 9 LE to change the ball type, coz im stuck with 1 ball type now.

@rockstrongo That's what I love about WE9LE & '13. Players mistiming shot's, passes & sometimes the keepers do fumble things. Gives the game a very "Honest" feel and not this straight forward "Oh that was directly on target" or "Just Wide" notion.
Very true.
Something the Pes eSports guys probably would start crying and call for mum if they'd experience it

It is mate!
Played it when it came out,but was really looking fw to new games and not realising how good it was/is.
I'm playing it out of the box,no patches etc.
It's a great game

Downloading the demo now :) You meanwhile are probably enjoying a 4-0 HT game at Hammarby I would think!

@rockstrongo Just had one quick game on professional to get used to it and didn't turn assisted passing off until ht, won 3-1 with Boca against Chivas, they scored a free kick. I like the look of it so far. I'm liking the way it plays and the general feel of it already, especially once I turned the assisted passing off.

@rockstrongo Just had one quick game on professional to get used to it and didn't turn assisted passing off until ht, won 3-1 with Boca against Chivas, they scored a free kick. I like the look of it so far. I'm liking the way it plays and the general feel of it already, especially once I turned the assisted passing off.
Good to hear mate,manual opens it up,when you feel more comfortable,try TP,I've switched over to it from professional,and it plays very good,team are tough,but gameplay is amazing.
If you like it,I bet you can get a copy for very little,I paid 50 Swedish kr for it

31 games in om professionell difficuty
View attachment 5305

Vs 32 games in on TP difficulty
View attachment 5306

So there's a clear difference in how much sharper the top teams are on this level.
Probably less "comebacks" and "even out the scores/tables as well
So I'm going TP next season,looking fw to Barca and RM away...

I liked PES2013 a bit back in the day but i had just converted from the D-Pad to the Left Stick so i found it so so difficulf to master. One thing i noticed in my few seasons playing was that the CPU games were low scoring. Not sure if it had something to do with the Half Length.

I played another game in my ML tester today. There are not many free kicks in PES2008 compared to PES5. But this game Vitesse v Tottenham had quite a lot of fouls, 2 bookings, 2 injuries, 2 fights where the ref had to step in. Great stuff.

Son had to come off because he was hacked down. I had a choice to bring on either bring on Moura for his pace or Ali because of his, well because his Ali. Within a couple of minutes he did this...
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The clip doesnt show it properly but Ali played a lovely through ball to Kane to begin with. I like the way Kane then set Ali up. Admittedly the defender ran away but what the heck.

Kane and Ali are slow but their movement is fantastic. Ali was finding quite a few pockets of space just like real life. What they both lack in pace they make up for in Attack awareness.

Wonderful videos, gifs and write ups by all of you! After all this talk I was tempted to start a small ML on 12 or 13, but I think I'll keep serious MLs in both as pocket choices in the case 2019 won't convince me.

In the meantime I'm slowly continuing my Pes 5 campaign with the defaults :BLUSH: .. fantastic, tiring football as always.. I'm in the D2 Cup final thanks to a 0-0 and 0-2 victory against Livorno and one point from the second one in the League.. with just one match left. I need to win to get promotion, but I can only hope they'll lose or draw their game. Tense final of season, all or nothing :D , even if luckily game over is pretty far from me as of now. I still hope I'll rack enough points to maybe buy a single good original regen (I've always wanted to try out true legends like Kaiser, Orellano or Gambino, that years ago I used to not consider because I just wanted real players.. now maybe it's the time at least for one!)

Back
Top Bottom