The Retro-PES Corner

Anyone knows when they give attributes to the Players in old games like PES 6 or 08, I mean for their performance of the previous season or how they performed before the lunch of the game ( August / September ) ?

Anyone knows when they give attributes to the Players in old games like PES 6 or 08, I mean for their performance of the previous season or how they performed before the lunch of the game ( August / September ) ?
Judging from the bad transfer updated rosters im pretty sure it was from the season before.Also keep in mind that bad at that epoch internet and news distribution was in a stone age state compared to today with youtube,social media etc.Furthomore even in nowdays konami does tragical mistaces despite the current net technology ans the database editors in all contents. Many examples lije ousmane dembele being right footed in pes 2017 or Daniel Agger having stopped football from 2015 ,officially retired 1/6/2016 and being in pes2017.It is pretty obvious how the work with their databade, transfers and stats.Always one or two seasons back.

Cheer up there @rockstrongo , dude, my start to the PES 6 Master League Default Originals Challenge has been rougher than a John Hartson beard rash :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK: (remember his PES alter ego Harts), just the one draw and five league defeats in six games.

Thank goodness I took a shredder to the dead wood default players last season to give some chance of survival, if things get really grim, Castolo, the useless tosser in PES 6 is next on the chop block. :R1:R1:R1

The thing is if you ditched Minanda you've taken the soul out of the team, they are looking for a new leader (with luxurious hair to match) :LOL:

My current home ground is Amerigo Atlantis, lovely south american type ground, open stands and a fantastic pitch.

PES%2B5%2BAmerigo%2BAtlantis.png

Lovely ground, but I'm not sure you'll get 66,000 in to watch that lot in the first 2-3 seasons :D

hope its not off topic since its FIFA and not PES but if anyone is looking for a retro football game to play thats decent to kill a few hours/days I recommend FIFA 2006 world cup for PC

I downloaded it yesterday and it actually surprised me how good it was I believe it was made by a different studio at the time and you can see the huge ISS influences in game such as the scenario mode section, the training ground mode they must have been fans of the series.The gameplay is nicely balanced reminds me a bit of the gamecube WE6 final evolution.Also theres a store to unlock classic players,boots,classic kits and other weird stuff to mess around like invisible walls, no ref and 'perfect difficulty' which has been fun and not overly scripted like modern legend levels it also has the qualifying mode and I think around 127 teams

the presentation is maybe the best part especially the world cup stadiums all the confetti banners chants flags feels like you have actually arrived at the tournament after spending qualifying games in the generic african stadium with its sunday league pitch.It has some nice features like during the tournament theres a magazine that generates with all the players and teams stats and during important matches it gives you score updates by the commentator of other teams in your group especially if you are needing a result to qualify theres a lot in here that makes you wonder why modern games are so bland

worth a download for a couple of days play in my opinion doesnt take a lot of grunt to run and is only about 1.5gb download easily one of the better games so far since this thread inspired me to go through loads of old football games

thought id add a couple of images from my italy wc run enjoying playing with some of these legends totti cannavaro del piero inzaghi vieri and unlocked baresi (with his real face) from the store

wc1_Untitled.png

wc_Untitled.png

Last edited:
@saintric: When I was writing the first post of the thread I considered the possibility of not centering it only around PES, as there are a few FIFA games I played a lot in the past, and some of them I still play from time to time - though admittedly I play PES more. In the end, it made more sense to focus on PES since this mostly a PES-oriented forum, but I wonder if there are people who regularly play other retro-football games, not only FIFA but also titles like This is Football, or Football Kingdom...

As for 2006 FIFA World Cup, I have it for the PS2 and remember I was blown away by its presentation back then. Also I have this memory of playing a lot of dusk matches on it, looked superb. The arcade-ish gameplay provides a solid short-term experience such as playing a WC; but as it happened with all FIFA PS2 titles back then, the idea of playing a career of many seasons on it - such as it was natural to do in PES - wasn't attractive at all.
I haven't played it on the PC, but judging from your screenshots it looks really good.

@saintric: When I was writing the first post of the thread I considered the possibility of not centering it only around PES, as there are a few FIFA games I played a lot in the past, and some of them I still play from time to time - though admittedly I play PES more. In the end, it made more sense to focus on PES since this mostly a PES-oriented forum, but I wonder if there are people who regularly play other retro-football games, not only FIFA but also titles like This is Football, or Football Kingdom...

As for 2006 FIFA World Cup, I have it for the PS2 and remember I was blown away by its presentation back then. Also I have this memory of playing a lot of dusk matches on it, looked superb. The arcade-ish gameplay provides a solid short-term experience such as playing a WC; but as it happened with all FIFA PS2 titles back then, the idea of playing a career of many seasons on it - such as it was natural to do in PES - wasn't attractive at all.
I haven't played it on the PC, but judging from your screenshots it looks really good.

ah glad you didnt mind I have been playing all sorts I think i have a copy of football kingdom somewhere but its buggy as hell to load up i remember it driving me a bit crazy getting it to work

absolutely agree about the short-term experience quote im not sure I could play fifa 06 career mode for example but as a condensed game the 2006 world cup works really well for a couple of days fun I have got it looking fairly nice on my PC of course a lot of the textures are 256x256 so they look a bit poor in higher res but dusk matches as you say look stunning the lighting is pretty impressive for a game that old.

I will say FIFA back then despite not being as good as konamis ps2 classics was slightly ahead of PES in the dribbling part of gameplay theres so many ways to beat defenders and skills to use but they work how they should very stat based if you try doing skills with a poor rated player the ball will just leave his feet also the first touch is very realistic you need high stats to control incoming passes perfectly and the randomness of the ball is just right how the hell did they lose that in these modern fifa games?.

My only gripes are maybe the goalkeepers are too good (or i just havent figured out a way to beat them consistently yet?) and the speed of the game is a bit too fast even on slow settings very much like PES 2008 on the PS2 its nothing crazy but at times you wish it would just slow the pace a bit

@saintric:In the end, it made more sense to focus on PES since this mostly a PES-oriented forum, but I wonder if there are people who regularly play other retro-football games, not only FIFA but also titles like This is Football, or Football Kingdom...QUOTE]

I've got Football Kingdom but don't really play it much as visually it just doesn't hold up very well at all and the gameplay and AI just don't offer much at all for me really. Of course the elephant in the room is the Nets which is one of football gaming's greatest mystery's, how did they get net physics so damn good for a foot game released in 2004!

My younger self would've appreciated this game more back then as I'd have worn my PES 5 disc out and craved something different at the time but had no idea this game existed or any knowledge of importing. Also was cool considering it had manual passing and 360 passing and dribbling so was ground-breaking at the time for that.

Hated PS2 FIFA back then so my alternative was the Club Football series, anybody remember those?

playstation-59477-21426619069.jpg

Graphically was pretty nice for the time and was great to see authentic licensed clubs, balls and boots in a Footy game looking crisp and recognizable rather then that disproportioned blurry mess that was FIFA.

hah I actually have a copy of Club Football somewhere in my PS2 collection the Arsenal disc think I only played it briefly on release if I remember right you make your own player to join the club? might have to dig it out and stick the disc on PC run it with PCSX2 to have a look

hah I actually have a copy of Club Football somewhere in my PS2 collection the Arsenal disc think I only played it briefly on release if I remember right you make your own player to join the club? might have to dig it out and stick the disc on PC run it with PCSX2 to have a look

I can't honestly remember, i'll track down a copy tonight after work and throw it on the emulator myself for old times sake, literally haven't played it since 2005. I wonder how it'll play like..?

Ash,wish I still had my old This is football games.
Starting your career in school etc.
Gameplay was pretty bad though

Following on from the conversation about how well PS2 PES captured random, frantic goal mouth scrambles and unpredictability.. the defender successfully dis-posses Kone, but nearly does so at the risk of conceding a corner, impulsively clears it wherever he can.. generously into the goal mouth, Farfan wasn't anticipating such a gift, tries to react and get something on the end of and fires off a header which BOUNCES into the ground and off the crossbar!

I had no idea bouncing strikes were in classic PES until now or maybe they added to WE9LE?

GIF-180718_094622.gif

I did own 2006 WC but only played it like twice.
Wish the PS4 was backwards compatible.

Judging from the bad transfer updated rosters im pretty sure it was from the season before.Also keep in mind that bad at that epoch internet and news distribution was in a stone age state compared to today with youtube,social media etc.Furthomore even in nowdays konami does tragical mistaces despite the current net technology ans the database editors in all contents. Many examples lije ousmane dembele being right footed in pes 2017 or Daniel Agger having stopped football from 2015 ,officially retired 1/6/2016 and being in pes2017.It is pretty obvious how the work with their databade, transfers and stats.Always one or two seasons back.
I compared the winter update of PES 2009 and the default database of PES 2010.
After the winter update of PES 2009, CR7 and Messi have 97 in attack attribute and that's theirs attributes in Pes 2010.
I remember also that Ozil have 78 in attack in PES 2010 ( after the winter update) and the same attributes in the default DB of PES 2011.

As we expanded, in 2005 i had played the fifa05 carrier until the end.Its main difference with ML was that you could play for 15 seasons and then it was 'the end'.I remember in 2020 Real Madrid had the best CFs in the world and the only one recogniseable,Djibril Cisse and Fernando Torres.In comparison to pes4 ML it had more leagues,better menu,but better presentation only outside match,like newspaper titles with your results,interactive interviews,it was better package than the next fifa titles which seems wierd for EA.But in-game the presentation was far worst than PES in all aspects.It was so dull for example in pes when the ref blows half time you saw players talking each other about the match,sub cutscenes,injury cutscenes facts that konami removed also in kost recents titles.Also when you won a title in ML the celebration was something magnificent,until recent titles at leadt.In fifa it was very generic,just a bunch of players together in the field without even a cup trophy.I believe everybody remember the hand to hand celebration in pes when your team achieved something except for a trophy lije a promotion,a qualification to CL or EL etc.KONAMI maybe had less presentation in quantity but it was uberquality and extremely catchty for football fans.
The only thing i admired in FIFA05 that i never saw again from both EA and KONAMi and im still dreaming for was the match simulation! It was a nice screen ala FM with a possesion bar and players/game stats and the kost important.In any time of the match you could press a button and interupt the simulation and start playing the match. For example you started siming a match and the AI was outplaying you.They went 0-1 in 50'.You could press the button and start from 50' minute with a goalkick either you or the CPU and continue the match from 0-1 so you had tge chance to turn the table if a mstch sim went wrong.Really helpfull tool for a long yoing carrier.Unfortunately never implemented in ML,we have a dull and rigid "skip match",and ot was also rekoved from fifa titles.I wish we see it in ML someday.

@slamsoze it's still 15 seasons in fifa right?
Never played more than 5 (16) in any FIFA
I dont have a clue.have not play more than 3 seasons in any of the few new fifa titles i have played.But it makes sence cause of the newcomers system .Imagine that after 20 seasons you will not know anyone so it will loose the immersion According to my preferences always. Somebody else like FM players dont bother from such things.

The thing is if you ditched Minanda you've taken the soul out of the team, they are looking for a new leader (with luxurious hair to match) :LOL:

Lovely ground, but I'm not sure you'll get 66,000 in to watch that lot in the first 2-3 seasons :D

One man and his dog at the minute but @mattmid , as for luxury hairdos, have you not seen:

185px-Espimas.jpg

Espinas, aka, The Divine Headband......:BAND:

Following on from the conversation about how well PS2 PES captured random, frantic goal mouth scrambles and unpredictability.. the defender successfully dis-posses Kone, but nearly does so at the risk of conceding a corner, impulsively clears it wherever he can.. generously into the goal mouth, Farfan wasn't anticipating such a gift, tries to react and get something on the end of and fires off a header which BOUNCES into the ground and off the crossbar!

I had no idea bouncing strikes were in classic PES until now or maybe they added to WE9LE?

View attachment 5238

No it is all there in PES 3 original format on Playstation 2, had one a while ago that Dario Silva, on my team smashed off underside of the crossbar bounced like a tennis ball about three years off the line and ricocheted into the net off a defenders head.

It is all present, but the six yard box scramble is the best part. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

@slamsoze I think that's one thing Konami always won hands down over EA. The player reactions that sum up what has just happened. One of my favourites is the one where they go for a diving header but miss the chance and whilst lying on the ground they thump the turf in frustration. Or the player who thinks he's been fouled and sits on the ground waving his arms at the ref asking where the free kick is.

@slamsoze I think that's one thing Konami always won hands down over EA. The player reactions that sum up what has just happened. One of my favourites is the one where they go for a diving header but miss the chance and whilst lying on the ground they thump the turf in frustration. Or the player who thinks he's been fouled and sits on the ground waving his arms at the ref asking where the free kick is.
Yeah pal but unfortunatelly it seems that as the years pass, the games becomes more "naked" from these details, probably because the game is being built in a fast pace mentality for online purposes.Since the online players press "start" all the time and are so impatient that skip even the 2sec entrance scene with the workers cleaning the field-grass.
Does anybody remember the goal celebration of the scorer with the players that were warming up to get in as subtitution ,wearing the training t-shirts. A lot of scenes with football essence that should be in every year and never remove.
But should i ask nice cosmetics in a game that does not include even fouls.

Last edited:

Remember that year, think it was FIFA 11 or 12..? When EA claimed that your players would emote on the pitch and would harbour different emotions towards team-mates depending on how often you would refuse to pass to certain players

Would you mind me bashing some Konami games? Well, not really bashing... I'm listing here what I don't like about the PES games I'm currently playing, and see if I can keep playing one (or more) of them despite the shortcomings.
If I can, it means that it's the game for me to start a ML/a cup or something longer than a simple set of friendlies.

Of course,you're free to contribute with things that grind your gears too. ;)

PES 2013:
  • Overuse of the strong foot over the weak one, even in occasions in which it shouldn't be used. While it's great that PES 2013 is a game in which being on the weak foot or on the strong one actually matters when taking a shot, I saw in several occasions players trying a shot with the strong foot when using the weak foot would've resulted in a way better shot. The thing I can say is that I'm usually playing Copa Libertadores friendlies, so maybe I just use players with very low weak foot accuracy/usage values.

PES 2014:
  • Defenders often move in a questionable way, especially on through balls/ground passes. They tend to stay away from the ball instead of coming close to it and trying to intercept it, this resulting in the attacker having a clear chance that he would never have in real life. Even if a pass goes near them and they just need to stick a leg out to intercept it, they often fail to do so. Top Player difficulty.

Remember that year, think it was FIFA 11 or 12..? When EA claimed that your players would emote on the pitch and would harbour different emotions towards team-mates depending on how often you would refuse to pass to certain players

Was that called the "Ronaldo Mode"? :D

PES 2013:

• Overuse of the strong foot over the weak one, even in occasions in which it shouldn't be used. While it's great that PES 2013 is a game in which being on the weak foot or on the strong one actually matters when taking a shot, I saw in several occasions players trying a shot with the strong foot when using the weak foot would've resulted in a way better shot. The thing I can say is that I'm usually playing Copa Libertadores friendlies, so maybe I just use players with very low weak foot accuracy/usage values.

If it's too many players then I can understand that but it is something that happens week in week out with real players (and winds me up no end). How many times have you seen Giroud, for example, try to flick a ball coming across to him from his right with the outside of his left when a shot with the right would be so much better. A rebona cross that may look nice but would have been a whole lot better with the proper foot and so on.

Back
Top Bottom