The Retro-PES Corner

@geeeeee Tell me about it. I think a lot of it comes with the challenge, you don't take it for granted when you score on these games. Part of the triumph when you do, part of the agony when you don't.

Even when the AI have a certain opportunity on goal, there's no better feeling when somehow.. it's denied!
Great block off the head of Southgate to save Schwarzer the inconvenience.

View attachment 5201

Love it.

It was a great block but it would have looked much more stylish had he been wearing a waistcoat :DD

Got the game installed and setup, please can you PM the registration link and i'll sign up tonight?

League members:
- miguelfcp
- mattmid
- lazoli
- wildwind
- MafiaMurderBag
(...)

@mattmid , thanks man, I can't be doing with playing football games on PC, thanks all the same for offer.

And on penalties in various PES games, quite a few in PES 3 and most are quite dubious, for both teams. But in PES 6, I have played a full season and a half of the legendary Default Originals Challenge and no penalties awarded so far. Think the COM defenders don't see the default forwards as any threat in the box. :THINK::THINK::THINK:

@WhoAteMeDinner No problem. Don't suppose you could pick it up for PS2?

As for penalties, in the first season the defenders are probably just saying, this is PES6, that's Castolo, just let him shoot. That's of course if you're lucky enough to get in to the box during season 1! :D

The WE9LE Online League
Given that we're having more people joining our WE9LE server - by the way, welcome to the club @slamsoze! - it's time to define who's participating in our following league season. Whoever wants to join in, please copy/paste this list here on the thread, adding your name on it:

League members:
- miguelfcp
-
-
-
(...)

Remember that in order to be able to join this league, you've got to have both the game and the online enviornment set up. This post's instructions will get you there, fast and easy.
In order to have a clear idea of how many participants we'll really have, I ask you to write your name on that list only after you're already all set-up and able to play online.
If you need any help with it, drop by the Online Club or ask here on the Corner.
I would like to join you guys,i live in dubai, i don t know how the ping will be when we play, im gonna install winning eleven 9 LE after i come back from work in 2 days. Just let me know guys where u live and if the ping will be good

@WhoAteMeDinner No problem. Don't suppose you could pick it up for PS2?

As for penalties, in the first season the defenders are probably just saying, this is PES6, that's Castolo, just let him shoot. That's of course if you're lucky enough to get in to the box during season 1! :D

@mattmid ,
Thanks matters mate, may have a look but doubful a PES 5 / Winning Eleven 9 recent LE mod would be made on disc for a Playstation 2 and there in no way of downloading anything onto this console, its internet access was a late add on and never did much.

I am fully taken up with PES 3 and PES 6 Master Leagues now anyways. :FISH:

For those who are unsure of joining in because they're not "fluent" in WE9LE (I felt this myself before I joined), do consider that the current league record of fewer points conquered in a season stands at 1 point in 6 matches played, established last season on my debut.
So you see, there's absolutely no pressure...

So Athletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey Qtr finals,both away and home.

Nightmare start where Diego "*"::££#" Costa snuck behind my CB in a clever run and placed in 1-0 in the 12th min.
IMG_20180717_225939.jpg

A few minutes later Costa met a cross with his foot and made it 2-0,and I felt that I was in for a tough ride here, priority was keeping the score down,and not lose my dignity

IMG_20180717_230333.jpg
Decided to go very deep and just defend,no more goals,I needed to have some kind of a result for my home fixture.
Defended really well rest of the half and midway through the second half when Athletico backed down a bit,I pushed up more and more and in the 77th minute I got my chance and smashed in 2-1 which also was the final result,plus I had one in the post at the end,bummer!
This game was so hard
IMG_20180717_230837.jpg
2nd leg.
Rainy,grey and elctric atmosphere at Benito villa Marin.
Athletico clearly wasn't having any attacking football on their agenda.
Early on I created a few chances,then 20 Min in I got a break away and managed to get a toe on the ball,despite having two defenders on my back,past the keeper and 1-0!
IMG_20180717_234449.jpg
So 2-2 on aggregate,with me ahead on an away goal.
Wasn't satisfied there, kept pushing AM back,creating chance after chance.
Had Athletico on their knees.
Got a corner late in the half,after a few scrambles it bounced out to my mf who crossed to my striker,who had a horrible shot,but bounced to my other striker,the much criticised Helder Postiga,who smashed it in top shelf!
And made it 2-0!
IMG_20180717_235002.jpg

Held out and played very well my first half,wasn't that worried when AM got a corner in injury time.
Boom!
Diego Costa scored on a volley!
First half ended 2-1,so even Stevens.

A really tough 2nd half that were in my favour saw the game heading to extra time,and I was gearing up for it when I had half a chance at goal,a poor shot that bounced of the defender,and the goalie tried to get to it by coming out,but their defender beat it's keeper and cleared the ball very poorly to Helder Postiga who came 1 on 1 with the GK,who got a hand on it,straight out to my other striker who smahed it in for 3-1!
Crazy goalmouth scramble!
And I was up on my feet!
3 fucking 1 ,Vs Athletico in the 85th
Mama Mia!!!
IMG_20180717_235904.jpg

So I'm cruising to a semifinal here.
Happy times,get the trophy to Seville,show that other team in the city how it's done!
Yeah,you'd think that wouldn't you?
One split second,in one split second it all changed!
My tired CB couldn't track Costas shifty run on a through ball in injury time,and that "*_&#£ just rolled in 3-2 for Athletico,in the 94th minute.
Ref blew his whistle at the kick-off.
Game ended 3-2 me,but Athletico were through on aggregate,Diego Costa had score all 4 goals over two legs for them...

This is by far the worst loss in years playing Pes,not pissed off,just empty!

That Diego Costa will be properly sorted next time around,that's a promise!
Fucking hell!
Hell of a game this!

@rockstrongo: I remember I did a Become a Legend save on PES2013 and once I was able to get my virtual self on a La Liga side, I never left the league because of the fact that every team had its own real stadium.
Your passionate reports are making me want to fire 13 up for a few friendlies...also I must have that BaL save still available, and I'm curious to find our which La Liga side was I playing for back then...

@rockstrongo mate despite this loss, seems you are really enjoying this run :D .
Truly glad for you indeed. Also awesome write up. I can feel all your sensations! Keep it up.

I'm still just doing friendlies on 12 and 13 this days as I don't have a lot of time and I can't properly retake Pes 5- and I'm having a lot of fun, by the way. I did a Lazio Roma in 2012; me as Lazio, obviously. Despite my.. well, lack of sympathy :P for the real guy, it was SO good to see Totti creating game in the offensive area, playing as a proper number 10, splitting his plays between keeping the ball and trying to put his forwards in front of the keeper. It felt so.. realistic. I'm in complete love with this two chapters as of now.

@rockstrongo mate despite this loss, seems you are really enjoying this run :D .
Truly glad for you indeed. Also awesome write up. I can feel all your sensations! Keep it up.

I'm still just doing friendlies on 12 and 13 this days as I don't have a lot of time and I can't properly retake Pes 5- and I'm having a lot of fun, by the way. I did a Lazio Roma in 2012; me as Lazio, obviously. Despite my.. well, lack of sympathy :P for the real guy, it was SO good to see Totti creating game in the offensive area, playing as a proper number 10, splitting his plays between keeping the ball and trying to put his forwards in front of the keeper. It felt so.. realistic. I'm in complete love with this two chapters as of now.
Thanks pal,yes,the individuality is really something in both 12 and 13,I must play a few games on 12,been hooked on 13 for a solid 2 weeks now.

I imagine Totti had real skills right?
These games,even when losing,just lost to Real Zaragoza,3-2 at home,are so good that I don't get pissed off losing.
I might go up to Top player in difficulty,remember when playing both 11 back in the day that even though professional plays very well,it's a little more of an "comeback " issue on professional Vs TP.
I'm probably playing this season out before switching.

Did Roma win then?
You know where my sympathy lies:)
Glad you're enjoying them as I am mate!

@rockstrongo: I remember I did a Become a Legend save on PES2013 and once I was able to get my virtual self on a La Liga side, I never left the league because of the fact that every team had its own real stadium.
Your passionate reports are making me want to fire 13 up for a few friendlies...also I must have that BaL save still available, and I'm curious to find our which La Liga side was I playing for back then...
Yeah it's the league to play on 13.
Funnily,I didn't do that back when 13 was new.
Played as Middlesbrough,started in the Championship,had 5-6 season and eventually won the PL.
Switched to Torino after that.

I always play Serie A on Pes,my main passion outside the local team I support here,but La Liga has been growing on me past years .
Saw a fantastic game,can't remember who Barcelona played against,it was the last or second to last game of the season, Barca could have an invincible season last year,not losing one game,they lost this one.
Really great stuff.
Hope you find your save mate,it's great fun

@rockstrongo Love that Vicente Calderon. I understand why but makes me sad they moved out of there and into their new modern ground, but their old stadium was iconic and had so much character. All these new football stadiums look like the same commercial multiplexes now and in the games especially like your La Liga for instance, part of the anticipation of playing the next fixture is that your playing in a unique ground, literally in another teams cultural backyard. Something the new games are sorely missing with the lack of stadia choices.

Great report too, even without footage your descriptions really paint a vivid image of the mood and battle in each of your matches. Loved the idea of the rainy overcast second leg. Can't believe they overlooked the lack of variety in ML on modern PES in terms of weather and time.

Thanks pal,yes,the individuality is really something in both 12 and 13,I must play a few games on 12,been hooked on 13 for a solid 2 weeks now.

I imagine Totti had real skills right?
These games,even when losing,just lost to Real Zaragoza,3-2 at home,are so good that I don't get pissed off losing.
I might go up to Top player in difficulty,remember when playing both 11 back in the day that even though professional plays very well,it's a little more of an "comeback " issue on professional Vs TP.
I'm probably playing this season out before switching.

Did Roma win then?
You know where my sympathy lies:)
Glad you're enjoying them as I am mate!

Yeah, unluckily Roma won :D. Great goal of Totti himself, a dribbling and a nice low shot. 1-0 in the last 10 minutes but it was a really magnificent derby, with them more tactically offensive and me playing a defensive counter attack.. it's rare for me to get hyped by friendlies, but this one surely deserved it.

Overall as you said for your own match, it's hard to be pissed off when you lose in this games, because it feels legit most of the times. It feels coherent. It's amazing to think how much I overlooked about this two chapters at the times, it almost feels like I'm playing two new games. I find myself super surprised at every little stupid thing, like a bad stop or a long shot out super wide.. eheheh.

Thanks for this virtual twinning, mate. I'll sympathize myself for Hammarby from today on :D.

@rockstrongo Love that Vicente Calderon. I understand why but makes me sad they moved out of there and into their new modern ground, but their old stadium was iconic and had so much character. All these new football stadiums look like the same commercial multiplexes now and in the games especially like your La Liga for instance, part of the anticipation of playing the next fixture is that your playing in a unique ground, literally in another teams cultural backyard. Something the new games are sorely missing with the lack of stadia choices.

Great report too, even without footage your descriptions really paint a vivid image of the mood and battle in each of your matches. Loved the idea of the rainy overcast second leg. Can't believe they overlooked the lack of variety in ML on modern PES in terms of weather and time.
It's an iconic stadium,I've been to a few Spanish stadiums,and VC Calderon being one of them.

My team that I support (Hammarby) made the transition from a very run down 15k stadium 5 years ago,and we moved in to a 30 k modern stadium,a Uefa classed Stadium,fit for international games etc
I hate that stadium,the old one oozed character,noise level were insane,but move was necessary.

Not many old stadiums left,love Mestalla (Valencia) San Paolo(Napoli) but it's getting more and more focused on new ones looking like shopping centers etc.

Thanx man,it's hard capturing video from PS3,so I think pics are the way to go
I really love playing La Liga and all the grounds there,gonna make a few for the teams that gets promoted later on to

Yeah, unluckily Roma won :D. Great goal of Totti himself, a dribbling and a nice low shot. 1-0 in the last 10 minutes but it was a really magnificent derby, with them more tactically offensive and me playing a defensive counter attack.. it's rare for me to get hyped by friendlies, but this one surely deserved it.

Overall as you said for your own match, it's hard to be pissed off when you lose in this games, because it feels legit most of the times. It feels coherent. It's amazing to think how much I overlooked about this two chapters at the times, it almost feels like I'm playing two new games. I find myself super surprised at every little stupid thing, like a bad stop or a long shot out super wide.. eheheh.

Thanks for this virtual twinning, mate. I'll sympathize myself for Hammarby from today on :D.
Aaah,bad result mate,yeah Derby Della capitale is something else,in my book,in Italy,the only derby coming close is The Laterna in Genoa.

Same I get ridiculously suprised and happy by the little things in this game,goalmouth scrambles,shots going wide etc.

I didn't play 13 that much on release,didn't realise how good it was,back then I think 11-12-13 was still in the shadow of Pes 5-6.
I had 4-5 seasons on it.
And 12,missed that one completely!

One thing I've noticed about myself playing these games,I play them so differently Vs modern games.
More patience,less sprint button,more super cancel,I train my team more careful,look for players more carefully.
It's a good thing,and not just turn on the console and play the same way game after game.

Lovely,a fellow Hammarby fan!
Thanx for kind words mate

Last edited:
Since I've played 13 so much lately I decided to fire up 12&14 on my ML saves.

Pes 12 is really really good,I'm playing it on -1 gamespeed,feels really weighty!
CPU plays a very patient game,loads of build up.
In a way Im confused that this is the game that came before 13?
It's more of a sim than 13 (even though I prefer 13 ATM)
More depth in ML etc.
Plus,in my mind,looks sharper than 13.
Will deffo start playing this after I'm done with 13,great game.

14 is better now when I've played these old games for a while,button lag isn't as bad as I remember,maybe it's the pace,not being able to turn on a dime.
And I could string a lot of passes.
Shooting great,as 12&13.
Only thing is the "combination" icon flashing,that's something they shouldn't have put in,feels like they wanted to attract casual crowd.
All in all,a good game,better than when I first played it a few months ago.

I'd say Pes 13 is the winner,by very little (mainly it's stadiums) Pes 12 almost tied for first,bet that I'll feel it's the winner once I'm on it more.
Pes 14 third,but a solid third place.
Three very good games to chose from

One thing I've noticed about myself playing these games,I play them so differently Vs modern games.
More patience,less sprint button,more super cancel,I train my team more careful,look for players more carefully.
It's a good thing,and not just turn on the console and play the same way game after game.

Definatley. I've noticed on these older games the AI midfield battles are apparent, CPU defending is more sophisticated and there's a lot more body context to take into consideration when it comes to passing and taking shots.

Soulless bowls are the one of the worst things about modern football.

Haha great phrase. Especially when there's so much history and legacy associated with a ground. I felt sorry for the West Ham fans that loved their Boleyn ground and had to leave and now Spurs are heading down that same route.

Anyway, gif time.
Never forget how groundbreaking the Flip Flap's inclusion was in PES 5/WE9LE. A modern trick in Football at the time but still plausible. 13 years later FUT highlight reels are infested with logic defying "skillz lol

GIF-180714_205158.gif

And one of the best part of WE9LE is the classic rosters. Reliving my childhood and formulative years following Football and growing up with one of the greatest Brazil squads who surprisingly failed to defends their World Cup.

GIF-180716_095803.gif

Also, I've tried googling it but I couldn't seem to find an explanation as to why Ronaldo started celebrating goals like this and not the trademark "Finger Wag" during this era.. Any takers?

On the subject of quirky, interesting stadiums, I always enjoyed playing in Rayo Vallecano's in PES2013.

PES+2013+Stadium+2.jpg
That gigantic wall behind the goal is not only ugly as hell but makes for a very unique stadium which is immediately recognizable just because of that. Also the buildings behind it adds up to the style.

@miguelfcp Love it. Can't believe I forgot about this ground from this game. Bet it's weirdly satisfying watching the ball rebound off that wall and back onto the pitch, or at least I hope it does and doesn't travel through it like a portal.

One of the things I do enjoy about the Patched PS2 versions on PC is revisiting those old stadiums like Cuito Cuanavale and Amerigo Atlantis. Used to especially hate the pitch on the former but now it's mystique gets me super nostalgic. I used to think they we're fictional stadiums but they're actually real world stadia. Now Konami just make fake ones like Bristol Mary and that Palenque Park or whatever it's called.

510108864_small.jpg

untitled.png

Back
Top Bottom