The Retro-PES Corner

Pes 12 is really really good,I'm playing it on -1 gamespeed,feels really weighty!
You know what? I really snubbed PES 2012 when it came out after playing the two demos, because I thought it was a step backwards if compared to PES 2011. I also really was into FIFA at that time and it definitely didn't help me appreciate PES but now that I played a couple of friendlies with it I must say I was wrong. It indeed is a very good game, probably superior to both 2011 and 2013 in certain aspects.

Keepers can be better, I know, but they've come a long way since the days the demos launched (they were plain awful back then, almost painful to look at at times).
Passing could be better as it's still a little too easy for my liking, and I can't seem to burst past CPU-controlled opponents unfortunately even with pacey players (tried Ivory Coast vs. Syria yesterday and I couldn't really outpace their defenders with Gervinho, but it could aswell be me), yet it's a very good game all in all, a game which I didn't enjoy back then.

On the subject of quirky, interesting stadiums, I always enjoyed playing in Rayo Vallecano's in PES2013.

PES+2013+Stadium+2.jpg
That gigantic wall behind the goal is not only ugly as hell but makes for a very unique stadium which is immediately recognizable just because of that. Also the buildings behind it adds up to the style.
Rayo is one of my favourite teams in Spain,very unique,has a different approach,a neighborhood club with a social conscience.
Supporters are a bit anarchistic to.
Lovely club,the opposite to mainstream Real which they share Madrid with,still think (not sure) it only has 3 terraces

You know what? I really snubbed PES 2012 when it came out after playing the two demos, because I thought it was a step backwards if compared to PES 2011. I also really was into FIFA at that time and it definitely didn't help me appreciate PES but now that I played a couple of friendlies with it I must say I was wrong. It indeed is a very good game, probably superior to both 2011 and 2013 in certain aspects.

Keepers can be better, I know, but they've come a long way since the days the demos launched (they were plain awful back then, almost painful to look at at times).
Passing could be better as it's still a little too easy for my liking, and I can't seem to burst past CPU-controlled opponents unfortunately even with pacey players (tried Ivory Coast vs. Syria yesterday and I couldn't really outpace their defenders with Gervinho, but it could aswell be me), yet it's a very good game all in all, a game which I didn't enjoy back then.
Yes it flew under my radar as well,keepers are good enough from what I've seen,very contextual shooting,if you're not in perfect balance/body position you'll miss
Underrated game for sure.
Will probably end up playing it more and more.
A bit to fast compared to 13-14,and not being able to sprint pass slower defenders could be game speed,just like on 17,when I played it on -1,impossible,when on 0,you could!

Solid game!

Something I realised last night while playing PES 2011 and feeling ready to experiment with game speed was..

There's no -1 or -2..

..The fuck?

One Stadium i i really miss from the old games is a stadium even it's tenants use to hate,Juventus Stadio delle Alpi.
And Ennio Tardini (Parma) wasn't Tardini a licensed stadium in Pes 5-6?

Screenshot_20180718-164635~2.png

Screenshot_20180718-164712~2.png

There's no -1 or -2..
..The fuck?
Yep. I used to love PES 2011 (and I still do for certain aspects) but I also feel that a "-1" option is lacking there.

System settings>game speed settings
View attachment 5220
I don't know if -1 and -2 were there in the PS3 version*, but on PC it definitely isn't the case. The only choices we have are 0, +1 and +2.

*EDIT: yes they are, I only saw now the image you posted. Sorry!

Yep. I used to love PES 2011 (and I still do for certain aspects) but I also feel that a "-1" option is lacking there.

I don't know if -1 and -2 were there in the PS3 version*, but on PC it definitely isn't the case. The only choices we have are 0, +1 and +2.

*EDIT: yes they are, I only saw now the image you posted. Sorry!
It's in PS3 version aha it's pc you refer to?
Just started my PS3 and it's there's

It's in PS3 version aha it's pc you refer to?
Just started my PS3 and it's there's
PC here, and we can't go below zero.
I'm curious though, does PS3 offer a -2 to +2 range or a -1 to +1?
If it's the latter, maybe it's the same for PC but settings are just labeled differently.

And Ennio Tardini (Parma) wasn't Tardini a licensed stadium in Pes 5-6?

When I first started watching Football and playing these games, I was blown away by the scale of Delle Alpi. Loved playing in that stadium.

Tardini is in PES4-6, not sure if it's named correctly though.

System settings>game speed settings

I'll try that later, I only tested in the pause menu during a match so it'll be rather bizzare if it's in system settings.
I was trying to remember is this was a controversial omission back in the day but I can't.

PC here, and we can't go below zero.
I'm curious though, does PS3 offer a -2 to +2 range or a -1 to +1?
If it's the latter, maybe it's the same for PC but settings are just labeled differently.
-2 to +2 (I think) I know it’s from -2 at least (not in front of tv right now)

When I first started watching Football and playing these games, I was blown away by the scale of Delle Alpi. Loved playing in that stadium.

Tardini is in PES4-6, not sure if it's named correctly though.

I'll try that later, I only tested in the pause menu during a match so it'll be rather bizzare if it's in system settings.
I was trying to remember is this was a controversial omission back in the day but I can't.
If you’re on ps3/Xbox 360 it’s there,think it’s been there since I can remember,with the option in modern games to change it in settings while playing the game,no clue on pc
Yeah Alpi is massive,a stadium juve hated playing in,they use to share olimpico torino ( named differently then) with Torino pre Alpi

A horrible loss Vs Zaragoza at home ( 3-2) followed by a hard fought victory Vs Levante Away with 1-0.
IMG_20180718_213144.jpg

I'm cemented in 10th place after 22 games,6 points down,and 5 up to me 11&9.
Next game will be Vs Espanyol at home,would love a victory there.

January almost over,haven't made any transfers in,sold one MF,a 31 one year old squad player.
Not signing anyone til the summer

A horrible loss Vs Zaragoza at home ( 3-2) followed by a hard fought victory Vs Levante Away with 1-0.
View attachment 5225

I'm cemented in 10th place after 22 games,6 points down,and 5 up to me 11&9.
Next game will be Vs Espanyol at home,would love a victory there.

January almost over,haven't made any transfers in,sold one MF,a 31 one year old squad player.
Not signing anyone til the summer

Cheer up there @rockstrongo , dude, my start to the PES 6 Master League Default Originals Challenge has been rougher than a John Hartson beard rash :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK: (remember his PES alter ego Harts), just the one draw and five league defeats in six games.

Thank goodness I took a shredder to the dead wood default players last season to give some chance of survival, if things get really grim, Castolo, the useless tosser in PES 6 is next on the chop block. :R1:R1:R1

Cheer up there @rockstrongo , dude, my start to the PES 6 Master League Default Originals Challenge has been rougher than a John Hartson beard rash :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK: (remember his PES alter ego Harts), just the one draw and five league defeats in six games.

Thank goodness I took a shredder to the dead wood default players last season to give some chance of survival, if things get really grim, Castolo, the useless tosser in PES 6 is next on the chop block. :R1:R1:R1
Kinda forgot that Pes 6 is tougher than "A John Hartson kick to Begovich's head"

How many restarts have you had?
Hang in there mate,and thanx for the kind words,first season is always wonky,as it should

I didn't remember AT ALL that in Pes 3, the Roberto Carlos freekick style still had the lateral zoom to the player, as it was in the Psx era, during the run up of the player:BLINK:.. I shoot one with Adriano in a random friendly Parma-Milan minutes ago, and for a moment it felt like I travel back in time even farther :D

I didn't remember AT ALL that in Pes 3, the Roberto Carlos freekick style still had the lateral zoom to the player, as it was in the Psx era, during the run up of the player:BLINK:.. I shoot one with Adriano in a random friendly Parma-Milan minutes ago, and for a moment it felt like I travel back in time even farther :D

Yeh Adriano in PES 3 has a left boot like a cannon and the ball dynamics in this brilliant game mean he and others like Vieri and Recoba regularly smash them in from thirty yards. Never gets old, class is permanent. :BY:

Three games played.
Ive had a string of shit results,so back to the drawing board.
Needed to focus on my defending,need to stop concieding,so I decided to play a very defensive game,mainly quick counter.

First game Espanyol at home.
A dull affair,they played a fast attacking football,and I parked the bus pretty much,hoofed it and tried to counter for 90 Min.
Game ended 2-0 me,both goals on corners.
Surprisingly few goals being scored on corners.

2nd game home to Valencia (with a bat as their badge?)
This game...
They just had me up against the wall all game long,and scored the game winner late first half.
I couldn't create any real chances in this one,pretty pleased with my defense though.

3rd game Vs Deportivo la Coruna Away.
A proper snooze fest,nothing happen in that game,they had a few shots going wide,I had a few shots going wide.
But I managed to counter attack on one of their very rare attacks and was clinical to make it 1-0
Game ended 1-0 me

So,pleased in the end 6 points out of 9,3 goals scored,2 conceded,it's pretty good!

Feels like my results keeps piling up at Konamis CPU,every game gets tougher,my passing and shooting gets worse by the game,but that's how it works,and I'm cool with that.

One other thing,this game and momentum goes so much hand in hand,certain parts of games when the CPU keeps pinning you down,it's very hard to keep them away from goal,the only answer is to slow them down with stops,take free kicks,try to reset the momentum,or you'll concede goals.
Same thing swings my way when putting on pressure,so when i"n the zone" just keep crossing/shooting attacking,in the end you'll score.
Great fun!

So i tried we7i after a long time and i felt restricted in certain aspects of the game. First off, i do believe this game is heavily stats based and i love it for that, buti felt restricted going forward in some ways which i think hinders my enjoyment. For eg. i couldn't do long passes (circle) from my own half to players free on the wing. It forces me to play a more simplistic play of straightforward passing. In pes 5 and pes 6, i do get a lot more freedom attack wise even though i play against a 6 start ML opponent with my low end default team, which gives me a fair chance of going forward and getting a win. I tried liking we7i, even pes3, but i think i feel restricted in this regard, also players wait for the ball quite often.

I did play pes 3 when it came out back in ps2 days but only against my cousin. Am i doing something wrong or is it the player teamwork stat that is making these restriction ? I keep finding myself going back to we9le and pes 6 but ive played them to absolute death. They still quench my footy thirst but i want to wrap my head around we9i. Can someone give me some motivational advice ?

Cheers.

Edit: we7i

Last edited:
Three games played.
Ive had a string of shit results,so back to the drawing board.
Needed to focus on my defending,need to stop concieding,so I decided to play a very defensive game,mainly quick counter.

First game Espanyol at home.
A dull affair,they played a fast attacking football,and I parked the bus pretty much,hoofed it and tried to counter for 90 Min.
Game ended 2-0 me,both goals on corners.
Surprisingly few goals being scored on corners.

2nd game home to Valencia (with a bat as their badge?)
This game...
They just had me up against the wall all game long,and scored the game winner late first half.
I couldn't create any real chances in this one,pretty pleased with my defense though.

3rd game Vs Deportivo la Coruna Away.
A proper snooze fest,nothing happen in that game,they had a few shots going wide,I had a few shots going wide.
But I managed to counter attack on one of their very rare attacks and was clinical to make it 1-0
Game ended 1-0 me

So,pleased in the end 6 points out of 9,3 goals scored,2 conceded,it's pretty good!

Feels like my results keeps piling up at Konamis CPU,every game gets tougher,my passing and shooting gets worse by the game,but that's how it works,and I'm cool with that.

One other thing,this game and momentum goes so much hand in hand,certain parts of games when the CPU keeps pinning you down,it's very hard to keep them away from goal,the only answer is to slow them down with stops,take free kicks,try to reset the momentum,or you'll concede goals.
Same thing swings my way when putting on pressure,so when i"n the zone" just keep crossing/shooting attacking,in the end you'll score.
Great fun!
My main argument with pes2013 formation and strategy set up, is KONAMi proposals on tactics sliders, which are semi-locked in this chapter.As i am fan of quick-counter football, i strongly disagree with their preset sliders.If i remember right, defensive line is locked from 12-15 which i find pretty high for counter attack strategy where imo the defence line must create many depth and give space ,so the opponent is forced to push you down and leave space to his back line.

So i tried we9i after a long time and i felt restricted in certain aspects of the game. First off, i do believe this game is heavily stats based and i love it for that, buti felt restricted going forward in some ways which i think hinders my enjoyment. For eg. i couldn't do long passes (circle) from my own half to players free on the wing. It forces me to play a more simplistic play of straightforward passing. In pes 5 and pes 6, i do get a lot more freedom attack wise even though i play against a 6 start ML opponent with my low end default team, which gives me a fair chance of going forward and getting a win. I tried liking we9i, even pes3, but i think i feel restricted in this regard, also players wait for the ball quite often.

I did play pes 3 when it came out back in ps2 days but only against my cousin. Am i doing something wrong or is it the player teamwork stat that is making these restriction ? I keep finding myself going back to we9le and pes 6 but ive played them to absolute death. They still quench my footy thirst but i want to wrap my head around we9i. Can someone give me some motivational advice ?

Cheers.
Try long pass settings/type2 from button configuration.All longballs except those in attacking flanks are executed manual.For me it didnt work cause i pkay with keyboard si i am limited to 4 axis, but with an analog stick maybe it works better.
Also you can try the full manual settings low pass with R3,not the hard combo press R stick and then direct the pass.There is a more simple that the pass gauge is decided from the time and the distance you are heading the R stick from default position,no need to press the stick inside.It is ultra difficult to master, almost impossible,cause if gamepkay limitations but it gives more freedom in some situations.

My main argument with pes2013 formation and strategy set up, is KONAMi proposals on tactics sliders, which are semi-locked in this chapter.As i am fan of quick-counter football, i strongly disagree with their preset sliders.If i remember right, defensive line is locked from 12-15 which i find pretty high for counter attack strategy where imo the defence line must create many depth and give space ,so the opponent is forced to push you down and leave space to his back line.
Yes you're absolutely right on locked parameters,which is really silly.
Would be better to have completely free.
Don't understand why that is

Yes you're absolutely right on locked parameters,which is really silly.
Would be better to have completely free.
Don't understand why that is
I really dont know why.These are KONAMI signature moves.They say "let's remove this or that and make people's life harder!" :P
It is free only in the custom set, but you must keep records of the parameters you want to keep and i believe that strategies have IDs so maybe if you use a custom set for counter attacks maybe your team won't have the countet attack mentality. This is just a personal speculation after my playing experience with pes.

Any one got a patch for or patched version of WE7i, been playing it a fair bit on PS2, only snag is the players names are in Japanese.

Also keep an eye on my twitch channel as i am picking up an el gato capture device so i can stream loads of old PES/WE games on ps2, xbox and xbox360

https://www.twitch.tv/grayperview

Follows and subs are appreciated, but not necessary. if you have time come by for a chat. keep an eye on my twitter for when i go live @grayperview

Back
Top Bottom