The Retro-PES Corner

Here's something that I found really interesting..

I remember when I played PES 2010 for the first time, a few years ago, I found Top Player a bit on the easy side. I remember picking a midtable Premiership team and I was winning most of my matches with more ease than in other editions..

So a few years passed, and I decided to pick up PES 2010 again (with smoke patch).. And immediately applied a gameplay mod (Top Player), supposedly to make the game harder.. And I had fun for a few matches, until I found a few features in the mod where I actually preferred some vanilla physics and reactions.

Anyway, I decided to back to the vanilla game.. Using Top Player.. And suddenly, I found it really hard! Like uncommonly hard, which was detracting from my enjoyment! The CPU dispossessing me all the time, not letting me score, being lethal with their headers and tiki-taka, etc.. Is this the same game I played a few years ago?

And so I went back to Professional, Vanilla game and interestingly.. I found that for PES 2010, this is my level!

So scratching my head, I couldn't figure out why I had found PES 2010 easy the first time, and hard this time.. (if anything, maybe I haven't gotten better at playing PES, but at least I don't think I've gotten worse after playing almost every week hahah)..

So then, I decided to check the exeI Turns out I am playing with 1.00 exe, as opposed to 1.03 (which is what I was playing in before, I believe with PESEdit patch, or probably TPS patch). I am convinced now, after a lot of testing, that 1.00 exe is much tougher than 1.03!

Anyway, just wanted to share my "eureka" moment.. Hahah.. it might be a placebo effect, but I will stick to Professional from now on in PES 2010!
Here is a video of a Professional level match! Very few shots attempted, and on this level, I felt like the CPU played the most human-like, much more than in Top Player! (less tiki-taka, and more time to think in spaces). Even though I lost the match, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

tagging my friend @Madmac79 as he might be interested in this! :TU:

Yeah I had similar experience with retro football games. Where the difference between vanilla and patched is MASSIVE. I don't like the changes to be so big. As it's like a different bloody game the differences can be so big.

Yeah I had similar experience with retro football games. Where the difference between vanilla and patched is MASSIVE. I don't like the changes to be so big. As it's like a different bloody game the differences can be so big.

Bugbear of mine. Especially when it comes to discussing games. Between official and unofficial gameplay changes/mods it's difficult to talk about the same game. Reddit is the hotbed for that. If someone criticises PES 2021 there's usually at least one person will bite back, citing mods. Well, I'd boast about my cock if a surgeon stuck a couple more inches on it. But until then it's a bit like PES 2021 out of the box - underwhelming but will kill 15 minutes of your life.

///

One observation made from posting across social media - how much some people are against PES as opposed to WE. Like they almost refuse to acknowledge the PES games, and treat them as if they're entirely different, and vastly inferior, to the WE games. I've always thiought that - bar the odd exception - there's nowt between the main line of WE games and their equivalent PES. Certainly not enough to lose your shit over! 😄

Also had someone call PES4 the 'worst PES ever', and call Virtua Striker 2 2000.1 an 'objectively terrible football game'. Was it Covid that made everyone this loopy?

Anyone have any experience of playing old PS2 or GameCube PES on the Anbernic RG556 handheld?

Maybe old FIFA's too, as I've always had an issue with them on my phone not working well from 2004 and onwards

One observation made from posting across social media - how much some people are against PES as opposed to WE. Like they almost refuse to acknowledge the PES games, and treat them as if they're entirely different, and vastly inferior, to the WE games. I've always thiought that - bar the odd exception - there's nowt between the main line of WE games and their equivalent PES. Certainly not enough to lose your shit over! 😄
These are just elitist snobs. I remember someone losing their shit at me because I referred to WE9:LE as an obscure title, which it is because outside of Evo-Web, your average PES fan wouldn't have heard of a Korean exclusive version of PES 5 especially in 2006.
Also had someone call PES4 the 'worst PES ever', and call Virtua Striker 2 2000.1 an 'objectively terrible football game'. Was it Covid that made everyone this loopy?
Again just bone-head troll noise. Anyone who plays these games knows that even if there was a "worst PES game ever made" knows that it still offers football value in there compared to the best non PES & FIFA games. I'd rather play PES 2008 or eFootball over Football Kingdom any day.

Bugbear of mine. Especially when it comes to discussing games. Between official and unofficial gameplay changes/mods it's difficult to talk about the same game. Reddit is the hotbed for that. If someone criticises PES 2021 there's usually at least one person will bite back, citing mods. Well, I'd boast about my cock if a surgeon stuck a couple more inches on it. But until then it's a bit like PES 2021 out of the box - underwhelming but will kill 15 minutes of your life.

///

there's definitely an alternate reality out there where you've made it as a S-tier standup comedian

Been saying that for a while. The best patches are ones that don’t alter the gameplay. With all due respect, some random guy messing with the gameplay and ai isn’t going to achieve what an entire team of experienced Konami programmers can achieve.

Can i have PES 2013 download link? ISO PC please. The links on the Internet Archive are reliable, but the site is currently offline and is not expected to return. I didn't find the game's ISO on the most famous websites, only on dubious websites or the ISO for other platforms.

Last edited:
I have two question about PES3/WE7/WE7i
1. PES3/WE7i PC version is always better than real PS2 (not mentioning about PCSX2) in terms of graphics, gameplay (more movements) and responsiveness. Right?
I know PC version can take adventage of kitserver and LODmixer to upscale to higher resolution.

2. WE is always better than PES in terms of gameplay?

In fact, I cannot see any different between them. Which one is the best?

I have two question about PES3/WE7/WE7i
1. PES3/WE7i PC version is always better than real PS2 (not mentioning about PCSX2) in terms of graphics, gameplay (more movements) and responsiveness. Right?
I know PC version can take adventage of kitserver and LODmixer to upscale to higher resolution.

2. WE is always better than PES in terms of gameplay?

In fact, I cannot see any different between them. Which one is the best?

1. From my admittedly limited experience of PC - better resolution (over native PS2) is your lot. When it comes to mods, PC will offer way more options.

2. I think this is a contentious issue! Some people will swear blind that the regular WE games are different to and better than their PES equivalents. I've never bought into that, personally. Certainly with WE7 and PES3. However, the Japanese version of WE7I (released early 2004) does represent an upgrade in my opinion and I think it was only released on PS2.

1. From my admittedly limited experience of PC - better resolution (over native PS2) is your lot. When it comes to mods, PC will offer way more options.

2. I think this is a contentious issue! Some people will swear blind that the regular WE games are different to and better than their PES equivalents. I've never bought into that, personally. Certainly with WE7 and PES3. However, the Japanese version of WE7I (released early 2004) does represent an upgrade in my opinion and I think it was only released on PS2.
WE7i is still available for PC. I can manage to install with Sany installer and some steps to get full one.
Personally, I cannot see any differences between them by the way :))
Thanks for your info.

Trailer presentation of John Kabira and Nakanish Detsuo for WE7 International

(Note: There is a risk of eye diseases in video quality. 😆😁)

That was great, cheesy & retro greatness. All part of the classic PES charm. Great to see a green screen version of Amerigo Atlantis too!

Yeah better resolution and framerate on PC which is a massive perk alone even if you were playing with out mods, though to benefit from that, it would count as a mod 😅

And regarding the better WE versions, I think it more applies to the intermittent WE releases such as WE7: International, WE: Liveware Evolution versions that are released in Asia after PES launches in Europe.

These are the versions that have gameplay changes, usually minor ones but enough to enhance the game in some eyes such as being a touch faster, more responsive and tweaks to ball physics. Plus the usually came with roster & kit updates in a pre DLC world.

That was great, cheesy & retro greatness. All part of the classic PES charm. Great to see a green screen version of Amerigo Atlantis too!

Yeah better resolution and framerate on PC which is a massive perk alone even if you were playing with out mods, though to benefit from that, it would count as a mod 😅

And regarding the better WE versions, I think it more applies to the intermittent WE releases such as WE7: International, WE: Liveware Evolution versions that are released in Asia after PES launches in Europe.

These are the versions that have gameplay changes, usually minor ones but enough to enhance the game in some eyes such as being a touch faster, more responsive and tweaks to ball physics. Plus the usually came with roster & kit updates in a pre DLC world.
For a little headache, maybe I will stick to the mainstream of PES for Europe. Just copy original PS2 ISO to DVD folder of PS2 HDD and let’s play.
IMO, the clean original PES3 for PS2 + Juventino OF file is a good combination for me. Still enjoy 3-4 years until now without any issue even with ML.

For a little headache, maybe I will stick to the mainstream of PES for Europe. Just copy original PS2 ISO to DVD folder of PS2 HDD and let’s play.
IMO, the clean original PES3 for PS2 + Juventino OF file is a good combination for me. Still enjoy 3-4 years until now without any issue even with ML.

As @Marlon Anthony says, the 'inbetweener' titles are well worth a look. For me, every single one of them is an improvement on their original. I'm a PES3 guy, and the Japanese WE7I is certainly an upgrade. It has multiple menu language options too, which is handy! There are solid translations for the rest. I'm guessing you're on PS2 with FreeMCBoot/OPL, so worth downloading them and giving them a go. 🙂

WE7i is still available for PC. I can manage to install with Sany installer and some steps to get full one.
Personally, I cannot see any differences between them by the way :))
Thanks for your info.

That's the North American version, in that video. WE7/PES3 was released as WE7I elsewhere in the world. Then Japan had WE7.5, if you like, which - confisingly - also went by the name of WE7I!

This is the Japanese one:

Big date in PES history.

PES5 released on this day in 2005. Made this to mark the occasion!

I think this precise title is the one which took PES from great to Godly. As far as the games after those, I don’t think they’ve ever quite captured the magic of PES 5, 6 and 2008 (PS2 version specifically). There’s a certain something about the gameplay which completely trumps later versions with better graphics or PC mods etc. From a technical standpoint sure, PES 21 has that and on paper it wins but in reality it completely lacks the soul (can’t think of a better word) that the previously mention games have. If Konami could ever capture that quality again using todays technology we’d have a hell of game.

PES 21 has that and on paper it wins but in reality it completely lacks the soul (can’t think of a better word)

That is correct word.
These retro PES/WE versions have soul, it's been almost 20 years, and people still play it, patched it, enjoy it.
That is just crazy and amazing.

I am 35 years old, and I still play Master League like I am a little kid.
With huge joy and fun for the game.

That is correct word.
These retro PES/WE versions have soul, it's been almost 20 years, and people still play it, patched it, enjoy it.
That is just crazy and amazing.

I am 35 years old, and I still play Master League like I am a little kid.
With huge joy and fun for the game.

Yeah it’s just shows how revered these older games are that people still patch and play them

Does anyone know the first PES you could set up proper FUMA? As in short pass, long pass, shoot and through ball on the 4 face buttons with power bar?

I've got a few long haul flights due soon and have an android tablet so have set up some console emulators. Tried PES6 on PS2 but am finding the assists pretty annoying, been playing FUMA across FIFA and PES for quite a few years now

Does anyone know the first PES you could set up proper FUMA? As in short pass, long pass, shoot and through ball on the 4 face buttons with power bar?

I've got a few long haul flights due soon and have an android tablet so have set up some console emulators. Tried PES6 on PS2 but am finding the assists pretty annoying, been playing FUMA across FIFA and PES for quite a few years now
PS2 PES's have manual pass with a button combo (like clicking L3 whilst holding a direction), but it's only possible for short and long passes (technically through ball if you aim it well enough). No manual shot in the game though.

I'm guessing though you know this already with reference to the face buttons

Here's something that I found really interesting..

I remember when I played PES 2010 for the first time, a few years ago, I found Top Player a bit on the easy side. I remember picking a midtable Premiership team and I was winning most of my matches with more ease than in other editions..

So a few years passed, and I decided to pick up PES 2010 again (with smoke patch).. And immediately applied a gameplay mod (Top Player), supposedly to make the game harder.. And I had fun for a few matches, until I found a few features in the mod where I actually preferred some vanilla physics and reactions.

Anyway, I decided to go back to the vanilla game.. Using Top Player.. And suddenly, I found it really hard! Like uncommonly hard, which was detracting from my enjoyment! The CPU dispossessing me all the time, not letting me score, being lethal with their headers and tiki-taka, etc.. Is this the same game I played a few years ago?

And so I decided to try Professional, Vanilla game and interestingly.. I found that for PES 2010, I enjoyed it more.

So scratching my head, I couldn't figure out why I had found PES 2010 easy the first time, and hard this time.. (if anything, maybe I haven't gotten better at playing PES, but at least I don't think I've gotten worse after playing almost every week hahah)..

So then, I decided to check the exeI Turns out I am playing with 1.00 exe, as opposed to 1.03 (which is what I was playing in before, I believe with PESEdit patch, or probably TPS patch). I am convinced now, after a lot of testing, that 1.00 exe is much tougher than 1.03! (It may also be a Smoke Patch thing)!

Anyway, just wanted to share my "eureka" moment.. Hahah.. it might be a placebo effect, but I will stick to Professional from now on in PES 2010! (Exe 1.00 SP patch). Here are a couple of videos of two professional level matches! Very few shots attempted, and on this level, I felt like the CPU played the most human-like, much more than in Top Player! (less tiki-taka, and more time to think in spaces). One loss and one win, I thoroughly enjoyed it! (playing with speeder 0.93)

tagging my friend @Madmac79 as he might be interested in this! :TU:

EDIT: After many more matches. switching between TP/Professional ATM, trying to find the perfect balance!

Love the night time lighting in these looks superb

Guys, I have a question..

If I start a Master League in PES 2011, will players outside of the designated ML teams appear as Free Agents or Transfers?

Say for example I am playing an All European ML. Will players from South American teams appear in the transfer market?

Thanks in advance. :TU:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom