The Retro-PES Corner

There's some new animations particularly for shooting and goalkeeper dives, there's new net physics and the ball physics are closer to PES 5 than 6 again on 2008 PS2.

It's been a while since I played it but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

I don't suppose there's a definitive modded ISO for 2008 on PS2 that just has the correct kits and names much like the Original Season mods for 5 & 6 by @Fabri55 ?

Was it released on PC too or only on PS2?

PS2 only

which differences - gameplay wise - have you spoted between PS2 PES2008 and PS2 WE2008 ?

I think the speed is slightly slower.

WE2008 has a bug-free ML + additional difficulty level which in the feel like the highest one from PES 2008 imho.

Slightly slower speed and more balanced midfield gameplay. Feels a bit more random in shots as well.

There's some new animations particularly for shooting and goalkeeper dives, there's new net physics and the ball physics are closer to PES 5 than 6 again on 2008 PS2.

It's been a while since I played it but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

I don't suppose there's a definitive modded ISO for 2008 on PS2 that just has the correct kits and names much like the Original Season mods for 5 & 6 by @Fabri55 ?

Not a patch but an OF.
I created one for PES 2008 and one for WE 2008 (still need to work on a "deluxe" edition with other league c filled-in).
PES 2008 OF
WE 2008 OF

@paokkerkir which differences - gameplay wise - have you spoted between PS2 PES2008 and PS2 WE2008 ?

WE2008 has a bug-free ML + additional difficulty level which in the feel like the highest one from PES 2008 imho.

@simogto90 , have you also tried JLWE2008CC ? This one is another beast. PES 2014 is not too bad too.

I really can’t tell a difference in speed between WE2008 and PES2008. It’s good that WE2008 fixed the player value bug though.

@PES4eva ,

I again did a match with 2 teams in PES 2008 and right after the same match on WE 2008 and I really have the feeling the speed is slightly slower. But again, it could be placebo effect but I'm glad @paokkerkir also noticed it ahah.

Yes, a bug-free ML is the really big plus over PES 2008.

@PES4eva ,

I again did a match with 2 teams in PES 2008 and right after the same match on WE 2008 and I really have the feeling the speed is slightly slower. But again, it could be placebo effect but I'm glad @paokkerkir also noticed it ahah.

Maybe you’re correct then. I don’t think it’s a big impact to the overall game though. I don’t think it’s worth changing versions over if people are already playing PES2008 unless the player value bug bothers them. Either way, both games are great on PS2!

@paokkerkir which differences - gameplay wise - have you spoted between PS2 PES2008 and PS2 WE2008 ?

@simogto90 , have you also tried JLWE2008CC ? This one is another beast. PES 2014 is not too bad too.
Didn't try It.
I have problems starting my iso with freemcboot,and the only ones that run are We10 and we9le.
I would like try we2008 and we8Le.
I appreciate pes2014 even if i don't have a fully patched One on PS3. My gripe about this game is shooting.
@paokkerkir In past i tryed We9 (japanese) too,now iso doesn't work anymore. From what i remember it was overall better than Pes5,but I found that headers were a lot overpower.
I would like try It too again.
My problem is that I don't have a PC, i download iso on my android phone so i can't defrag them.

Hey @Juventino32 can you please stop mentioning that WE 2008 has a bug-free ML It makes me so jealous :D

@PES4eva ,

I said stop already :LOL:

I've found a video showing Alegor's PES6 model in real life

Edit: Came across this PES3 BTS video too >>

Attachments

• 1723714303810.jpg
    1723714303810.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1723714318297.jpg
    1723714318297.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Today I was playing again Pes5, Pes6 ,we10 and pes2008 to comparing them all.
My opinions are

Pes5:
+Best physicalty of all of them
-Best referee
-More alive ball physics,even if too much light passing regard
-best first touch
-worst attacking A.i
-worst player control and dribbling

Pes6:
-Best graphics and animation in my opinion
-Best game speed ( it's the slower if we talk just about speed)
-Overall better ball physics than Pes5 on short passes, but ball is less alive.
-good attacking A.i ,but midfield positioning is the worst one and ruins the game too much.
-maybe the best dribbling,cause you have the we10's control but some of Pes5 inertia too.
-fouls are way less than its predecessor

We10:
- basically is something between Pes5 and Pes6. The real Pes 5.5
- great control of players
- there are still enough fouls
- overall good A.i on all the pitch. Defensive and midfield one is almost on the same level than Pes5 and attacking one is way better.
-goalkeepers are dreadful.
- players has no inertia.

Pes2008
-best A.i by far on all the pitch
- great dribbling and control
- good ball physics, not the best in every way, but maybe the more "rounded" one.
-worst graphic in my opinion
-cross and corners are too much overpowered
-players has no inertia

My final toughts are that the best game would be Pes6 engine, with Pes2008 A.i, Pes 5 referee and physicalty.
o
Pes5 is the most ambitious
Pes2008 the one who do everything good
We10 the most fun maybe
Pes6 could be the best, but it's a.i ruined everything
This is a fair summary of probably the best-of-the best PES from the PS2 era, although I would add PES3 to that category.

I would still say PES 5 is the very best overall but, yes, that attacking AI is a little blunt.

While I miss the PES 5 ball physics and general physicality of the players, I find as a veteran PES-PS2-era-player the only game that can provide a prolonged challenge now is PES 2008 (PS2).

It's not perfect but it's a good mix of everything that made PES in this era great.

one thing that its broken in pes 5 (maybe its the original season patch idk) its how most teams will abandon your wingers if you pass the ball to the fullback on the same side

example: ball its on the right, you pass to the defender and to the LB. The AI defensive fullback will abandon your winger to press the ball like headless chicken

This is a fair summary of probably the best-of-the best PES from the PS2 era, although I would add PES3 to that category.

I would still say PES 5 is the very best overall but, yes, that attacking AI is a little blunt.

While I miss the PES 5 ball physics and general physicality of the players, I find as a veteran PES-PS2-era-player the only game that can provide a prolonged challenge now is PES 2008 (PS2).

It's not perfect but it's a good mix of everything that made PES in this era great.
Pes5 is my favorite too... It has something really magic. It reach some peaks that the "perfect student" pes2008 doesn't reach,even if i recognize is a more polished product.
I think pes3 play also very good,but there are 2 things that doesn't make me enjoy It.
First one are players attributes,totally scammed.
Second one are lacks of teams,and i don't mean licensed one but overall quantity.

I'm curious to ask if there's any WE 9 version that is fully patched including the Nippon Challenge?

PES 5 also has that 'catch up' bug which is annoying (is that present in all the versions like WE9, LE, etc..?) and is there anyway to let the ball run through you and not put a touch on it in PES 3 ? Was playing some patches recently and the usual way to do it in the later games (holding the direction that the ball is coming from) wasn't working.

Just some random thoughts I miss playing PES 2017 on PS4 I might have to get a console again. They got the playability right with 2017 don't get me wrong 2018 onwards have some improvements but

2018 comes with the dreaded AI chip ball into the box
2019 with the repetitive AI and long shot trait breaking cpu players
2020/21 are solid games but feel more on rails than earlier versions and gameplay patches introduce some insanity
2015 was actually a damn good game a little loose vs the AI sometimes you feel it let's you score because there's no pressure but the AI in attack are a decent challenge
2016 is a beautiful looking game but with broken GKs and AI always shooting low

Looks like another trip down 2017 memory Lane then

PES 5 also has that 'catch up' bug which is annoying (is that present in all the versions like WE9, LE, etc..?)
It's an intentional part of the game design rather than a bug, and yes it's present in all versions of PES. Some claim that it's absent from some editions, but it's not. In PES a slow defender will almost always match or outpace the fastest attacker. You can see the consequences of not having it in FC24's scorelines.

There are a couple of PES editions where catch-up was reduced to some degree: PES 2008(PS3/360), and PES 2013.

In 2008's case, you could literally run circles around the AI with ease, and this imbalance was just one of many problems. (The PS2 version of 2008 is rightly held up, though, as being on par with PES 5 and PES 6 for quality.)

For PES 2013 they had another go at putting out an edition with catchup turned down low, and it was a good effort. High-scoring game though that was pretty much over in 3-4 seasons of Master League.

As for the PES with the most catchup... I would nominate PES 2011. Sprinting away from defenders in that game is like getting on a treacle elevator.

Last edited:
In PES a slow defender will almost always match or outpace the fastest attacker.
Vornander, Stremer and the lads will disagree with the take.

Asking out of proper ignorance, is the 'catch up' glitch actually real? I've been playing PES 5 and 6 for about 15 years and I haven't noticed before.

Vornander, Stremer and the lads will disagree with the take.

Asking out of proper ignorance, is the 'catch up' glitch actually real? I've been playing PES 5 and 6 for about 15 years and I haven't noticed before.
'Catch-up' is an AI-only ability. Vornander & co. will always be unaffected, sadly.

It's not a bug or glitch. It's the way your controlled attacker will always be overtaken or matched for pace by any AI defender. Your pacy winger should always be able to streak clean away from the lumbering AI defenders, but can't. That's catch-up, an integral part of PES game design, miscalled a bug for so long.

PES 5 also has that 'catch up' bug which is annoying (is that present in all the versions like WE9, LE, etc..?) and is there anyway to let the ball run through you and not put a touch on it in PES 3 ? Was playing some patches recently and the usual way to do it in the later games (holding the direction that the ball is coming from) wasn't working.

You could use the super cancel button combination but the player would veer off course.
Alternatively you’d just play a lead ball/through ball if you’re wanting a player to run onto a pass. Is this what you mean or do you mean let the ball run through the legs?

@Flipper the Priest Vorlander slander. I’m going to use that 😂

Minanda meander? No maybe not

You could use the super cancel button combination but the player would veer off course.
Alternatively you’d just play a lead ball/through ball if you’re wanting a player to run onto a pass. Is this what you mean or do you mean let the ball run through the legs?

@Flipper the Priest Vorlander slander. I’m going to use that 😂

Minanda meander? No maybe not
No, I'm talking about a normal x pass heading in your direction. In 5 (I'm assuming 6, haven't played that in forever cause I wasn't a fan) and 2008 (PS2), if you hold the direction that the pass is coming directly from, your player won't stop the ball and just let it run past him (but still maintain possession)
I use it ALL the time and it's extremely useful (so much where it feels wrong not to have it) and it wasn't working for me when I tried it in 3.

In 2008 on PS2 you can stay ahead of defenders if you're out in front of them with a speedy winger, say. Big difference from 5 where they can catch up much easier. I don't really know much about the games after 2008 on the PS2. What little I've tried of them, I was just turned off by 'the feel' in general and kinda gave up on the new stuff. (and most mainstream/AAA gaming in general, but that's a whole nother topic!)

Last edited:
Hi guys, please tell me, does anyone have a white Chelsea kit from the 2003/04 season for PES 6?
5369A1F7-4C58-446C-9D5D-FF8A3714847B_1024x1024_2x_cf68c077-fcbc-425a-ac14-cb295fbd6215.jpg

Back
Top Bottom