The Retro-PES Corner

One more observation about PES 2017.. :TU:

As some of you know, I've always been a PA1 player (an entirely personal preference: I tend to enjoy it more and like the passing stats weight, like I've mentioned to @slamsoze and @vialli82 many times before). But.. Have you guys noticed how in PES 2017, manual passing kind of plays like semi in FIFA?

I played an exhibition with a South American team, and I experimented with manual passing (with assisted shot), and it felt much more stats based and intermediate in terms of assistance, and kind of like an 0.5 PA, like semi in FIFA!

Then I tried the same settings in PES 2018 and passing felt too manual for my style, not assisted enough. I think this type of intermediate passing is only for PES 2017!

I mention this because I remember that @Madmac79 used to say that he loved PA1 in PES 2015, because it felt more like PA 0.5. I've also been experimenting a lot with semi passing in FIFA, and I've enjoyed it too, so I thought this observation was interesting! Have you guys felt this too in PES 2017? I would love it if this was the case and it's not just my impression,! It'd be awesome so that it was like a version of FIFA's semi also yet retaining stats weight! This intermediate type of 0.5 PA setting is something I've always been interested in!

Wish I could tell you something about 17 manual, but to be honest I'm just not a fan of the option in general, so I tried it just few little times in the years. I remember trying manual on 18 for a period when it came out, for example, cause I found the assisted passing way too on rails (personally I've always considered this one the more assisted of the saga, maybe it's the same in Pes 17 the but the physicality kinda masks it to me), but as you said it felt really too free, and even it added more free kicks among the other things, I eventually abandoned it quickly.

Anyway, sounds cool it's less extreme on 17. Might give it a try next time I'll play it :))

Wish I could tell you something about 17 manual, but to be honest I'm just not a fan of the option in general, so I tried it just few little times in the years. I remember trying manual on 18 for a period when it came out, for example, cause I found the assisted passing way too on rails (personally I've always considered this one the more assisted of the saga, maybe it's the same in Pes 17 the but the physicality kinda masks it to me), but as you said it felt really too free, and even it added more free kicks among the other things, I eventually abandoned it quickly.

Anyway, sounds cool it's less extreme on 17. Might give it a try next time I'll play it :))
From what i've understand, FUMA in 2018 is more assisted in terms of precision, accuracy and doing some impossible passes like backheels with no error.

PES 2017, does not guide your pass in terms of trajectory and may punish you for passing with wrong body stance, but it is more assisted in terms of pass power and pass speed. It's like the game is fixing the power gauge, ingoring your input when you put too power and the ball should go further away.

At least that's how i feel it, not sure if i explain it correctly.

Pes 17 feels way less manual on PA0,18 is a bit more manual.
Going back to 15 who has the best PA1 of all pes games imo, where you can place through balls or long range passes into a certain space instead of to the player, havent really been able to do that on any other pes game, maybe the older like 12-13.
Think its a good thing Pes 17 is 0,5 since the pace is insane on that game

From what i've understand, FUMA in 2018 is more assisted in terms of precision, accuracy and doing some impossible passes like backheels with no error.

PES 2017, does not guide your pass in terms of trajectory and may punish you for passing with wrong body stance, but it is more assisted in terms of pass power and pass speed. It's like the game is fixing the power gauge, ingoring your input when you put too power and the ball should go further away.

At least that's how i feel it, not sure if i explain it correctly.

You explained it pretty clearly.. it makes sense!

I guess my impression came from the "environment", namely the difference in physicality, as I said above, the fact there were more first touch errors and interceptions on short passes in Pes 17, and most of all that 18 often exploits the low surgical passes in a way you either "read it" before, or when it's in the mood it launches you a sequel of super duper hard to intercept tiki takas to goal, while 17 was a bit less efficient but more human.. so you (or at least I 😅) are left with the idea 18 is the more assisted.

But, just comparing the fundamentals alone, I'm sure it's as you say 🙂

@Madmac79 Same here bro, I'm usually not a fan of PA0, so I've always played PA1. Anyway, the reason why I tried it on 17 was because I was looking for a semi option, and to my surprise, it did feel kind of like 0.5! :) I still have to experiment with it more, maybe when I start my ML I will switch back to PA1, but in anycase it seems like PES 17 is the only one that has this intermediate feeling!

Thanks @rockstrongo for confirming and @slamsoze also for the very detailed explanation. :TU:

i just stumbled across the discussion, if WE9 Livewire edition is the best PES (since its between PES 5 and 6, best of both worlds, etc).

i also just stumbled across WE 10 LE - which makes it the last real PES? is it better than PES6? are there language patches?

i just stumbled across the discussion, if WE9 Livewire edition is the best PES (since its between PES 5 and 6, best of both worlds, etc).

i also just stumbled across WE 10 LE - which makes it the last real PES? is it better than PES6? are there language patches?
Personally i prefer WE9LE, but the only diferences i find worth mentioning in comparison with PES5/WE9 are:

Better framerate.
Better sidebacks/wingbacks defensive positioning (without requiring to tweak the tactics) so by default i find that the CPU is better defending.
Slightly better ball physics.

Regarding the player's body physics, foul frequency, master league transfer frequency by CPU and and CPU Artificial Intelligence (for offensive play), i find them basically the same, but i do notice that WE9LE is better at interpreting custom tactics, but i need other people to give their opinion in this regard to have more feedback.

In the end, i understand an accept that PES5/WE9 are just more editing-friendly, since they come with five and two languages respectively by default, and share the same file structure, also you can rename things in-game normally because those versions accept the latin alphabet, WE9LE has diferent file structure and numbering, and is korean only so the renaming must be done exclusively with external aplications.

In my opinion, these three games are better than PES6 regarding ball and player physics, PES6 is better than them regarding the amount of game options and modes, AI attacking creativity (just slightly better) and popularity for patching.

I have not played WE 10 LE, but i can say that the best Artificial intelligence (both in offence and defence) is the one in PES2008 PS2, very challenging and creative, on another note players dribble and ball physics in this game are awful and definetly not my taste, but the passing and shooting animations are beautiful wich is confusing.

Last edited:
bit of a long shot but did anyone ever release a PES 3 option file with Scottish teams in it? maybe even the full league?

Does anyone know of a global player editor for PES 2016 which changes "playing styles" (offensive and defensive goalkeeper, goal poacher, creative midfielder, etc.) as well? All the editors I've seen so far don't include this option. It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sad
Reactions: H_G
Do you remember that achievements in PES 2016 and PES 2017, when you needed to achieve 5 consecutive wins on Legendary in myClub? That was something. xd

Been enjoying watching this longplay! Great soundtrack too. Good stuff. :)

I've 'watched' that long-play too. I'm not sure if it's humanly possible to watch every minute, but I had it on in the background while working. It's epic.

And yes, the soundtrack is amazing. I regularly use bits of it in videos! Especially the main menu and training music.

I suggest you the GOAT, ISS 98 for N64. :)

I'd second this. 2000 is probably technically better, but ISS 98 just has so much charm.

////

If you've got a few minutes to spare:

Back
Top Bottom