The Retro-PES Corner

I switched over to Smoke Patch bro. :) I couldn't get any of the PESEdit switchers to work, so I reinstalled PES 2013 (once again, haha), and reapplied Smoke.

Smoke Patch includes (taken from their website):

Datapack:
- includes the latest game data pack (DLC 6.00 - game version 1.04)
- optional v1.02 included (replace the file in the game folder)
- removed blur

Leagues:
- ready for season 15/16
- correct leagues names
- Bundesliga replaces fake league
- correct emblems and league patches
- complete real 2D teams replace fake teams (7 options):
(English nPower, Spain Liga Adelante, German 2. Bundesliga, Italian Serie B, French Ligue 2, Netherlands Eerste Divisie, south America league)
- correct leagues balls

Teams:
- added 25 new national teams (not available in BAL mode)
- added 16 new clubs (available in ML mode
- correct kits for all teams (full GDB folder)
- correct clubs logo by (genko06)
- correct national flags by (ali_chila)
- correct and updated squads
- revised clubs strategies and tactics
- all teams have correct home stadium names
- most teams have special chants (HQ double channel) (Add-on)
- correct radar color for all teams

Players:
- revised stats for most players (SMoKE rating system)
(not overrated, optimized for FL modes)
- more than 1.6GB of real faces (6600 face/hair)
- assigned call names for a lot of players
- added more than 3500 new players
- correct personal attributes
- removed duplicated and fake players
- real goalkeeper gloves

Stadiums:
- correct names for all stadiums
- add 20 various stadiums using the game stadium editor
- all teams have correct stadium names
- new enhanced ad-boards
- HD turfs for all stadiums (Add-on)

Others:

- added and updated all boots (81 boots)
- added and updated all balls (55 balls)
- 6 optional scoreboards
- includes latest kitserver files
- updated referee kits
- correct trophies and cups
- real sponsors with logos (for all languages)
- new graphics
- auto fix for DirectX errors
- a lot of enhancements
Ah, thanks Millos, might acctually go for it
Only downside is i want it to be the 12/13 season.
Let me now how the patch is working out for you

I've been having some sort of fun with PES 2020 (the one that came off the disc) on Xbox One.
I would have never thought that one day I would prefer it to PES 2021.

Time to grab the oldest version possible from Steam (I guess it was 1.01.01 or something similar) and see the differences.
If they're not many and not that big, I'd rather play it on PC so I could also have all the teams licensed.

I should still have a copy of the latest ICMP patch for PES 2020 somewhere, hopefully it won't be that hard to "adapt" it to an older version of the game.
I am another one, that prefers PES 2020 gameplay over 2021.

But what makes me not play it exclusively is, i feel so lonely, and i feel like lunatic sometimes when i express my love for 2020.

And second reason, since i am on PS4, i cannot stand that terrible purple everywhere, in the background, in the menus, scoreboards everywhere. It drives me nuts after a while.

While i don't intend to judge people, i feel the majority criticises negative PES 2020, not for what it is/was, but for what it became, cause every next update since the beginning, was making the gameplay worse and rigid.

My personal take is, if people say that PES 2021 is the new PES 6, then for me PES 2020 is the new PES 5, in the PES 5/6 analogy.

But what makes me not play it exclusively is, i feel so lonely, and i feel like lunatic sometimes when i express my love for 2020.

And second reason, since i am on PS4, i cannot stand that terrible purple everywhere, in the background, in the menus, scoreboards everywhere. It drives me nuts after a while.

While i don't intend to judge people, i feel the majority criticises negative PES 2020, not for what it is/was, but for what it became, cause every next update since the beginning, was making the gameplay worse and rigid.

My personal take is, if people say that PES 2021 is the new PES 6, then for me PES 2020 is the new PES 5, in the PES 5/6 analogy.
Im ok with PES 20, dont have pes 21 so cant really compare, but its an ok game, even though for me personally Pes lost its fun from PES 18 (decent game but had massive potential) 19 was a crap show with no D2 leagues (except ingerland) great on the ball but horrible cpu ai.

For me on modern Pes games 20 is behind 17 and maybe 18, but still ahead of 15/16/19
This on console of course

PES 2017 is my favorite football game of all time (and quite possibly my favorite game ever). It is the only PES since 2016 which I've added no gameplay mods. Awesome pacing, fun factor, player individuality, and to me at least, the best mix of arcade and simulation I've ever played.

It has its quirks (crosses are a bit overpowered), but it is really REALLY entertaining. Something about it just clicks for me, I've had my most fun and involved campaign ever (Reggina, 4 seasons), and was very emotionally involved with it, so that might have something to do with it. But I just absolutely love PES 2017. One of my most enjoyable gaming experiences ever.

I've always been a PC player on PES, and even if PES 2017's graphics weren't the same as in console (which I've never really minded), I found that applying smoke patch really makes up for this in terms of scoreboards, faces, etc.

PES 2018 is good, but IMHO needs gameplay mods to be truly enjoyable (I find vanilla defense to be a bit broken).

PES 2019 is a divisive game. Some people really like it, some people really disliked it. I actually really enjoy it (again, with gameplay mods), I think it has the best presentation in all PES games, the lighting is beautiful. My complaint with the vanilla game is that I really really felt the script in it, so much that it made for my most frustrating gameplay experiences, but with gameplay modding (and playing on Top Player instead of Superstar), I've found that this is much improved. Still, to me the hardest PES ever.

Never played PES 2020, I skipped right over to 2021, but as @slamsoze and others have mentioned, it seems like the demo version was really good. Hope I can get this version on PC sometime!

I still see PES 2021 as a work in progress, as gameplay mods are still being released. :)

Last edited:

Damn, even tho I'm loving to death my 21 ML as of now, you really make me want to play 2020 again, with the right mindset I certainly didn't have back then, when it came out. I also understand the "lonely" sensation anyway, it's more or less how I feel when I try to sing praises of Fifa 19 😂

You play with the latest update? Or with the vanilla disc? And what would you say are the main differences with 21?

Damn, even tho I'm loving to death my 21 ML as of now, you really make me want to play 2020 again, with the right mindset I certainly didn't have back then, when it came out. I also understand the "lonely" sensation anyway, it's more or less how I feel when I try to sing praises of Fifa 19 😂

You play with the latest update? Or with the vanilla disc? And what would you say are the main differences with 21?
Well, i am on PS4 with digital version, so it's full patched unfortunately* (not only for the gameplay changes, but the last live update of the last datapack had a bug from KONAMI, that made all players flagged as ADDEd via live update, which means no ability to revert to default while editing).

I prefer the slower but reasonable general pace, the tempo of the match. It let's you slow play and make sense .

IE in 2021 if you try to slow play between your DMF and your DFs, the CPU front line is pressing like robots and they cover the passing lanes faster, due to being sped up.

Also some animations are too frantic in 2021 due to increased responsiveness concept, that look too ugly, and while recieving a pass, the game produces some clipping or blur effect, in order to adapt your player's next animation in agreement with your input.

In 2020, while more rigid, when a mistake is to happen, the player stays faithful to the animation and "locked" for more time. This gives a more rigid essence, but I prefer it sometimes, cause it makes the action look more solid.

I do agree with you, pes21 is a great game but something was missing on it, probably on 20 I'll be there making mods for pes20 like im now on pes5 🤣

Pes 20 is sucks, thank god for pes21 although it's only small improvement, i'll take 21 over 20.

To me PES 2018 PC is the best in fox engine (next-gen), it's like PES 2017 on steroids. I dont know how to say it, it's like you get one of the hardest AI while keeping "essence" of PES 17 AI, if that make sense.

Compare to pes 20/21 mod support, too bad there's very little mods available in 18. Especially stadiums which probably take more effort to convert rather than other mods (faces, balls, etc)

Hello.
For those who have problems with PESEdit, you can try some options. Maybe can solve it.
I use here, PES 2012 and 2013, Windows 10, it works normally, the Selector.
- Click on the Selector and send it to the desktop. Try opening it there.
- Place your antivirus as an exception in the folder where PESEdit is installed.
- When installing PESedit from scratch. Disk C, data program, Konami folder. You must delete the Konami folder. Because, it may have records from previous patches.
- Click Selector, right click, properties, general, now look below. It should look like the image.

Captura de tela 2023-08-31 040712.png

Last edited:
For PS1 you you should have got Pro Evolution Soccer 2 and not ISS Pro Evolution 2 in my opinion. They are quite different.
You’ll still have fun with it and PES 2013 is a good version of PES.

Picture of the best PES on PS1 attached

I've just received both games today and played both of them.
I found ISS Pro Evolution 2 more challenging than PES 2. But I've not played them enough to have a definitive judgement.

PES 2 seems slightly more "refined" though.

I've just received both games today and played both of them.
I found ISS Pro Evolution 2 more challenging than PES 2. But I've not played them enough to have a definitive judgement.

PES 2 seems slightly more "refined" though.
You’re building a nice PES collection it seems. Glad you’re enjoying them. Have fun!

Im looking for Argentinean or Chilean commentaries for PES 2014 PC version. If anyone knows where to find either of them, that would be great.
Thanks in advance! :)

Hello,

I remember having read here on the forum a list of differences between PS2 PES 2008 and PS2 WE 2008.

Some I remember :
- WE has a slower pace.
- WE does not have the ML salary points bug.
- WE has a 6 stars unlockable difficulty.

My questions are :
- Are the rosters exactly the same or updates were done ?
- Is the 6 stars difficulty really an extra one or the entire difficilty scale is the same but scaled over 6 levels instead of 5 ? PES 2008 max difficulty is much harder than PES 6 max difficulty imho.

Does anyone remember in PES 2016, where Neuer had an 82 rating when playing as a RB/LB and an 80 rating when playing CB (or vice versa, can't remember well)?

Hey bros! I re-installed PES 2013 completely from scratch and then installed PESEdit 3.8.

View attachment 231715

Then, when I go to the switcher and try to change any of the leagues (by clicking on the picture as usual), instead of showing a "league switched" dialogue box, the switcher completely crashes to the desktop.

This happens in "LEAGUES I, LEAGUES II, and 2nd Division", meaning all the team switchers.

What seems frustrating about this whole process is that I installed PESEdit over a completely clean PES 2013 (fresh install), and I'm still getting this problem. Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Has exactly this problem as well.
when deciding on which D2 league to use it just shuts of, then going back its still Bundesliga 2 regardless of which D2 league i choose.
I uninstalled my Pes 13 at least 10 times before going fresh instead.
dont know if its the exe not being recognised or the wrong edition (think im on 1.04)
Regardless i gave up, edited my Segund myself instead

The workaround (not noob friendly, please do not PM me for support) is to do it manually using one of:
1. Another computer running Windows 7
2. A Virtual Machine instance (Parallels or VMWare Fusion) with Windows 7 installed
3. Using a Windows emulator (eg. Wineskin Winery on Mac).

You then install the game and patch, run the PESEdit D2 switch to a league of your choice (which will now work, as it’s only broken due to file access/security protections in Windows 10) and manually copy the now switched PES 2013 game and save folders and replace the same folders of your installed PES 2013 game on your main PC.

I’ve personally done this process via Wineskin Winery on a Mac, took all of 15 minutes - I’ve now got the Npower Championship working (instead of the default 2.Bundesliga).

The workaround (not noob friendly, please do not PM me for support) is to do it manually using one of:
1. Another computer running Windows 7
2. A Virtual Machine instance (Parallels or VMWare Fusion) with Windows 7 installed
3. Using a Windows emulator (eg. Wineskin Winery on Mac).

You then install the game and patch, run the PESEdit D2 switch to a league of your choice (which will now work, as it’s only broken due to file access/security protections in Windows 10) and manually copy the now switched PES 2013 game and save folders and replace the same folders of your installed PES 2013 game on your main PC.

I’ve personally done this process via Wineskin Winery on a Mac, took all of 15 minutes - I’ve now got the Npower Championship working (instead of the default 2.Bundesliga).
Cheers buddy

Does anyone know if the pc community (modders patchmakers) fixed the horrible gk on PES 16?
I use to like that game a lot, except the shitty keepers and if its worth getting it on PC?

Hello community.

I’ll start out this post by being brutally honest with all of you: for both EA and PES, offline football gaming is dead.

All efforts have been allocated to the online, micro-transaction-fueled experience because that’s where the profit is, so naturally this state of affairs won’t change anytime soon; if anything, I believe this tendency will become more obvious as years go by and therefore the culture of online gaming consolidates itself as the fundamental part of any football game.

For all I know, I could wake up tomorrow and find out there was a new football game that fulfilled my dreams of a realistic Human vs. AI football simulation. But sadly, I find neither current PES nor current FIFA satisfying, let alone even innovative, and it has been like this for a few years now.

Disappointed with such state of affairs, I had to find a worthwhile football “fix”. Unfortunately I don’t have as much time for gaming as I had ten, fifteen years ago so the little time I have to spend on it is absolutely precious, therefore not to be wasted on games I don’t even enjoy just because they're new and shiny.

So over the course of countless months I sampled every FIFA and PES title I own – glad I didn’t sell any of them – on multiple platforms, to see if I could find at least one that satisfied me. What I discovered on this journey shook me…

….I didn’t take full advantage of any of these games.

For example I barely played PES2009 at all because I was completely infatuated with FIFA09 back then. I didn’t even try out a few PES on platforms such as the PC or the PSP because I always played on the PS2/3.

As for the games I spent the most time on in the past – maybe PES5 and 6, 2013 too -, still it turned out not to be enough time spent to appreciate all of what the game had to offer. This was mainly due to the fact that yearly iterations of the game contribute for the players to only utilize a very small percentage of each version’s possibilities.

Let me put it this way: when was the last time you played a full Become a Legend career, from the player’s debut to past his 30th birthday? My answer: I NEVER did it.

Out of all the teams in every version, how many did you use for your ML adventures? My answer, let’s see: out of many hundreds of teams available in every version, I used an average of 2 teams in each, two ML saves. Let’s say I played 10 versions of PES: 2x10 versions = 20 teams, multiply every team on 10 versions of PES and you’ll realize as I did that I’ve used 20 teams out of a total of…THOUSANDS! If we consider that there are around 50 players in two squads, and I bought on average 15/20 players in every single one of my ML adventures throughout the years, how many thousands of players haven’t I used?

When was the last time you won the WC on the hardest setting with the five worst National Teams in the game? When was the last time you won the WEFA/CL with the worst club in the game?

There’s much more on my checklist that I never accomplished – and much more I’m only now adding to that same checklist - not only due to my shortage of time, but mainly because I always had to get the next version of PES/FIFA and start it all anew, whilst “putting away on a shelf” all the progress I had made on the previous one.

Playing all of these games again sparked up my creativity and made me come up with new ways to fulfill my only objective: to get the most out of every single football game I wish to play. Now I’m opening this topic on Evo-Web not only because I want to share my retro PES adventures with you, but encouraging also all of you to do the same.

These adventures obviously will include ML saves, but not just. There’s a ML adventures thread you can use but that topic naturally allows only ML discussion, whilst here the discussion is not only exclusively Retro but also allows for ANY type of Retro-PES discussion besides the Master League: whether you played Random Selection Match and had a blast, or you’re updating us on your last week of your 7th Become a Legend season on PES2010, even if you just played a friendly match on PES3 I want you to write about it. I don’t know what do you think of it, but I love writing and also reading detailed analysis on players, teams, and experiences within the game. So anything that keeps the Retro-PES discussion alive is welcomed.

The only rule of the topic is: the game you wish to speak of MUST NOT be the current version, so as of April 2018 I can't talk about PES2018 but could speak of my adventures on PES2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and so on until PES1 (I guess we could include ISS too, if you have enough balls to go back and play those games).

Just to be clear, this doesn’t mean I’m going against modern FIFA or PES. If you enjoy PES2018 or you’re reading this in 2019 and you believe PES2019 is the greatest game ever, I have nothing against it, by all means enjoy it. I just believe we have to create and maintain a culture of retro-football gaming to keep the passion for PES alive even among those whose passion for it either has vanished completely or is fading away – and there’s a lot of people who fit this description. Still, the culture of retro can coexist with the culture of modern gaming, we’re all free men and grown-ups here so we can play whatever we want whenever we want. This means you can enjoy the current-year’s PES AND at the same time enjoy a past PES game enough to write about it here on this topic if you feel like it.

If you’re still reading this long post, welcome to the Retro-PES Corner, the only place on Earth where you’re actually encouraged to write thousand-word posts about videogames that were released back when Robben and Iniesta still had hair.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Configuring your emulator for Retro-PES games
  • [*]]
does anyone know pes 5 scoreboards please?

Random question: Does anybody still have the Football Manager-to-PES stats converter made by Gortop? I've been looking for it for ages.

Hello, I have a question: how can I make sure that the memory of the aethersx2 emulator leaves the options archive with max PSU extension etc. When do you only accept option files with PS2 extension?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom