The Retro-PES Corner

I just played the WC final. France v Croatia (me). Excellent game!

France went 2-0 up. From two almost identical corners. After that Croatia came back into the match. Then a fantastic cross from the left from Pjaca to Perisic who scuffed his volley but it still beat Lloris at the near post. I actually thought the ball had gone wide and was shouting “oooohhhhh!” and i thought Perisic was running to the corner flag to take the corner. Then i realised he was flapping his hands about celebrating. :P

After that we had a fantastic goal mouth scramble. A few shots that got blocked by the defender and Lloris until they panicked and gave away a penalty. But Lloris saved it spectacularly!

In the second half Modric was dominating a bit like he did against England. But it finished 2-1 to France.

One thing that i would change in retro PES’ is the lack of highlights. The first half had quite a few goal mouth scrambles and only the PK was shown :(

Also please beware retro PES gamers, during the penalty you can hear the retro PES police outside waiting to pounce.

I just played the WC final. France v Croatia (me). Excellent game!

France went 2-0 up. From two almost identical corners. After that Croatia came back into the match. Then a fantastic cross from the left from Pjaca to Perisic who scuffed his volley but it still beat Lloris at the near post. I actually thought the ball had gone wide and was shouting “oooohhhhh!” and i thought Perisic was running to the corner flag to take the corner. Then i realised he was flapping his hands about celebrating. :P

After that we had a fantastic goal mouth scramble. A few shots that got blocked by the defender and Lloris until they panicked and gave away a penalty. But Lloris saved it spectacularly!

In the second half Modric was dominating a bit like he did against England. But it finished 2-1 to France.

One thing that i would change in retro PES’ is the lack of highlights. The first half had quite a few goal mouth scrambles and only the PK was shown :(

Also please beware retro PES gamers, during the penalty you can hear the retro PES police outside waiting to pounce.
Perisic’s goal is everything a Pes retro game is,and everything a modern isn’t
That touch,semi ok strike,ball physics,goalie getting a touch there and in.
Brilliant G

@Chris Davies I'm quite sure Pes 17 will become a gem for future retro players,still think it's a good game,probably the one I've played the most post 5-6 era.
And yeah,18 will probably be left behind!
Even though I can enjoy the occasional game on it,problem is,after you had 2-3 good ML games on ,and you get invested,it stabs you in the back straight away
Sorry but pes 2017 suffers from the lack of shot variation on default settings, the thing that has plagued the new pes, manual is not an option for me, way too hard to make crosses and last time passes

Sorry but pes 2017 suffers from the lack of shot variation on default settings, the thing that has plagued the new pes, manual is not an option for me, way too hard to make crosses and last time passes
I'm so used to play manual in that game it's not that tough,one of the easiest manual game.
Tough when you get pressed etc,but give and go,crossing and through balls are not that tough after a while

Yes shooting static,but one thing it has that every other modern Pes game hasnt,is fouls.
I usually draw 5-10 a game,and often a shooting free kick per game.
Not a Pes 12-13 though

Got the Sevilla derby tonight.
Not the result I was hoping for.
Great game,tough,nasty and very well played game.

Went 1-0 down after two minutes...
Made a mistake by trying to take/tackle the ball outside my box,and Jesus Navas made a quick 2 foot dribble and was alone with the keeper and scored.

13 minutes in Ruben Castro got his 2nd yellow and I was down a man.
Late in the first half this happen

Sloppy job by my defender to say the least
Tight 2nd half,I came back for air with a volley from Ruben Perez,then I moved everything up and chased a equaliser,but the game ended 2-1 Sevilla.
Great game though.
Btw,a lot of water splashes when passing and shooting,so rain exists,maybe not visibly,but a very wet pitch and very gray skies.

Next two games needs to be won,both teams in the bottom of the league.

Got the Sevilla derby tonight.
Not the result I was hoping for.
Great game,tough,nasty and very well played game.

Went 1-0 down after two minutes...
Made a mistake by trying to take/tackle the ball outside my box,and Jesus Navas made a quick 2 foot dribble and was alone with the keeper and scored.

13 minutes in Ruben Castro got his 2nd yellow and I was down a man.
Late in the first half this happen

Sloppy job by my defender to say the least
Tight 2nd half,I came back for air with a volley from Ruben Perez,then I moved everything up and chased a equaliser,but the game ended 2-1 Sevilla.
Great game though.
Btw,a lot of water splashes when passing and shooting,so rain exists,maybe not visibly,but a very wet pitch and very gray skies.

Next two games needs to be won,both teams in the bottom of the league.
Love how the nets are rigid cages in that game :p

Yeah sorry mate, I said there was no rain but I explained myself poorly, I just meant the visual effect of the raindrops while playing. Curiously enough you can see them during replays and other cutscenes/moments but never in the actual match. But as you said there indeed are wet pitches and gray skies.

Yeah sorry mate, I said there was no rain but I explained myself poorly, I just meant the visual effect of the raindrops while playing. Curiously enough you can see them during replays and other cutscenes/moments but never in the actual match. But as you said there indeed are wet pitches and gray skies.
Yeah kinda knew that was what you meant so no worries mate

I know it's not that retro, but I'm currently enjoying PES 2014 again despite its flaws.
It never rains, goalposts cast no shadow, when you score the game usually kills your enjoyment by instantly moving the focus to the player celebrating as soon as the ball hits the net... But honestly, I like its heaviness, the way you have to think in advance because you know that you won't be able to turn on a dime when receiving the ball... I like it.

Gotta give PES 2011 another try soon, I remember it used to be one of my favourites back in the day.

I know it's not that retro, but I'm currently enjoying PES 2014 again despite its flaws.
It never rains, goalposts cast no shadow, when you score the game usually kills your enjoyment by instantly moving the focus to the player celebrating as soon as the ball hits the net... But honestly, I like its heaviness, the way you have to think in advance because you know that you won't be able to turn on a dime when receiving the ball... I like it.

Gotta give PES 2011 another try soon, I remember it used to be one of my favourites back in the day.
Pes 11-12-13-14 pretty much all have that feature,players not turning on a dime,it's a good game,laggy though,but it's good.
Give those older ones a go while at it mate,great stuff.
Pes 14 was my gateway into me playing 11-12-13 now,so it's a good start,but like we talked about back then,it's very good and not so good at the same time,that's how I felt anyway.
Glad you enjoy it @*aLe

Is there anyway to set up online games on older versions of Pes on PS3?
On alternative servers?
Like you guys do on pc?

Can't believe they dumbed down GK,so stupid.
In 12-13 they're so organic
Keepers were my major gripe with PES 2012 to be honest, they looked like they wouldn't give a toss no-matter-what... But again, it might be another "PES 2014" situation: keepers plain awful at release and getting good throughout the year with patches.
I remember PES 2012 being a little more varied than PES 2013 in terms of attacking AI (and I think I've read the same here, maybe it was you saying so?) so if keepers have actually become good with latest patches I might aswell give PES 2012 another chance. It's probably the PES game I played the least, as I was absolutely in love with the FIFA 12 demo back then, bought FIFA 12 at release and only played that for the entire season.

Well, I think that being undecided upon the game to try next is the good thing of having every PES released for PC till now (excluding PES 3 and 4 which are on their way anyway and will be here soon). :LOL:

Keepers were my major gripe with PES 2012 to be honest, they looked like they wouldn't give a toss no-matter-what... But again, it might be another "PES 2014" situation: keepers plain awful at release and getting good throughout the year with patches.
I remember PES 2012 being a little more varied than PES 2013 in terms of attacking AI (and I think I've read the same here, maybe it was you saying so?) so if keepers have actually become good with latest patches I might aswell give PES 2012 another chance. It's probably the PES game I played the least, as I was absolutely in love with the FIFA 12 demo back then, bought FIFA 12 at release and only played that for the entire season.

Well, I think that being undecided upon the game to try next is the good thing of having every PES released for PC till now (excluding PES 3 and 4 which are on their way anyway and will be here soon). :LOL:
Haven't really reflected on keepers in 12,might play a few ML games later to see if they're good in the 1.06 patch

Yeah AI in Pes 12 is very solid both in off and def,very hard to score on them.
I'm getting a PS2 for sure to be able to play Pes 3-5

@*aLe Yeah PES2014 was far from a perfect game but at the time, it was the first on a brand new engine with a ton of potential. I remember loving the new MASS system, the weight of the players & the pace of the game. I thought it would get better down the line but then it became the glidy, fast paced myclub orgy we know today.

And then there were two. 63 games filled with drama, intrigue, set-piece goals and surprise results have determined our finalists: France and Croatia.

View attachment 5132

Love the way the ball rolls up the net and flicks out. That ripple though.

Just reinstalled 2011 on PC, this game is sweet and has some very nice touches and small details that I love:

• Match time: Day, Afternoon and Night - Love playing games in the afternoon setting at sunset (Why modern games PES don't have this?)
  • Player kit style: Baggy and tight
  • Dribbling and animations that make certain players have a unique style in the way they move - still amazed today at the way someone like Rafael van der Vaart moves in this game.
  • The old weak foot stat system (1-8), to this day I simply hate how the changed it to the generic 1-4 system which has little to no impact.
  • The old skill cards (sliding, free roaming!) and positions (Sweeper,Wingback!)
  • The old team tactics depending on the score and time of the match

I am sure there are patches out there that fix the game speed and add new camera angles, the two mayor issues I remember about this game.

Using the :l1: button with all crosses in PES 6 seems to make a massive and somewhat disappointing arcade-like impact on the gameplay as all crosses automatically find your player in the box even if he is the only one there.

Thoughts anyone ? :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

It's the game engine, try going full manual and with normal crosses. PES 6 is acarde-like in many aspects.

It's the game engine, try going full manual and with normal crosses. PES 6 is acarde-like in many aspects.

Yep thanks, may take your advice as the L1 button in earlier games does not have this arcade type of impact, it just adds hoof to the long ball.

Have been talking about Franz Beckenbauer (Der Kaiser) in World Cup 2018 thread and it is bringing me back to my Master League campaigns in PES 2 and PES 3 where I played the German maestro all over the pitch, anyone else use this great real life and PES legend much in the games ? :?

Have been talking about Franz Beckenbauer (Der Kaiser) in World Cup 2018 thread and it is bringing me back to my Master League campaigns in PES 2 and PES 3 where I played the German maestro all over the pitch, anyone else use this great real life and PES legend much in the games ? :?

Back in my first ML ever, PES5 on PS2 I had him on my team and yes, you could hardly get anyone better than him. Invincible. Also had Bolmik (Boniek), Poland's only legend in PES games. Good times :D

pes3 15-07-2018 21-40-43-577.png

It's been rough, for some reason. Season 4 comes to an end. I was doing okay, but something took a turn for the worse in the last third of the season. Idk, maybe I played too much today? I am suspicious, because for a few games my team seemed to lose any semblance of quality. We barely held on. Our massive 13 points advantage in the league melted to 8 and instead of grabbing the title in 21st, we have to wait until 24th Fixture, when after barely squeezing 1-0 against Ruhr we were crowned champions for a third time in a row. Third star that is! It was a revenge of sorts, since somehow a week earlier we've lost D1 Cup Final against, yeah, Ruhr. It was a terrible game. Everything went wrong. Kiraly disappointed me once again, but we were terrible up front too. We've lost it 1-2. And I wanted a treble this year goddamit!

pes3 15-07-2018 21-56-19-593.png

This time around at least we have managed to win European competition #1, WEFA Championships. Our first rivals were Milan and hoo boy there were terrible and useless! And we were still in form back then, easy 2-0 at home and 3-0 in away game. On to the semifinal where, surprisingly, our eternal enemies for life The Longobardies themselves were waiting for us, having surprisingly eliminated Rekordmeister. It's weird since they were in the relegation zone at that time...first game, we somehow won 2-0 and then crisis started setting in...

Second leg was a nightmare, Longobardi got it to 1-2 in 75th minute and they were speeding up. Considering it was home game, one more goal would send me out of the tourney! Somehow, I defended myself for life and Radzinski (updated some player names so he ain't Ramski anymore) forced Sereni to capitulate once again and with 4-2 aggregate we went into a final. I was expecting my group rivals, Galicia Sur with Figo and Shevchenko but nope. Both them and title defenders Pelopponisos in quarterfinals got eliminated by Puerto. When final match came I was slowly crawling out of the mud but it was still rough. And they have Santa Cruz up front oh for fucks sake...

pes3 15-07-2018 21-28-04-128.png

It was a terrible final! We were playing badly (so many players in awful form) and Puerto was even worse! My hero of the match was backup CBT Ignashevich, he's completely shut down Santa Cruz, the only noteworthy figure on Puerto's side in this final. Rest of them were inconsequential, they might've as well not been there, especially that we had problems with scoring into even empty net. Finally, in a mad charge inside a box Izmailov gets knocked down and we get a PK. I give it to Oli since he needs one more goal to become top scorer of the competition. Baia stops initial shot, but Oli gets to the ball quickly and just bangs it while Baia lays on the ground and screams in agony. We have gotten the lead! As usual in PES 3, Puerto wants to equalise and gets punished right away, with Radzinski finishing our super quick counter-attack. We went through hell and this final game was an absolute peak of mediocrity and powerlessness; but at last, most important trophy in the game was ours!

pes3 15-07-2018 21-41-39-710.png

What next? I want to keep going! I have points and my midfield needs some serious fixing. Bermar is getting better but he's just not a winger. I consider turning my wingers into AMFs, I wonder how this would turn out since I usually attack through the middle anyway...maybe 3-4-3 formation? We need changes. I won't rest until we win everything in one go, in a style so far superior and dominating other teams literally give up and go home crying.

And now, I offer you a look at Europe. West is one huge ass mess, in the south title goes from Greece to Turkey - Pelopponisos loses its tite of Master League's Best Team (which Commonwealth happily inherits) and my WEFA Champs Group Stage rivals, West Midlands Village destroy opposition in Northern League. I will see them all in the next season of Championship, this time as Reigning Champion of the Master League.

pes3 15-07-2018 21-56-54-926.png pes3 15-07-2018 21-57-00-292.png pes3 15-07-2018 21-57-05-144.png

And we get third star next season that's what I can't wait to see the most!

Been alternatimg between PES 2011 & WE9LE, and no matter what I play WE9 never gets old for me, I can go through all the emotions you go through during a football match on this game & forget I'm playing a game. Why did the oldest game age the best?

"Take a bow son, what a hit, what a hit!"
GIF-180715_211901.gif

Been alternatimg between PES 2011 & WE9LE, and no matter what I play WE9 never gets old for me, I can go through all the emotions you go through during a football match on this game & forget I'm playing a game. Why did the oldest game age the best?

"Take a bow son, what a hit, what a hit!"
View attachment 5177
He’s big and he’s fucking hard!
Nice seeing Stevie G again

Back
Top Bottom