The Retro-PES Corner

@Madmac79 Yeah definatley. They can be a bit tacky with horrible menu graphics, bloated with inconsistent faces with awful textures, dodgy soundtracks etc.. PESEdit was almost like an official PES game. What the game could've released like if they had every license at their disposal.

@loco I was watching vids of ISS 1 & 2 the other day and I was blown away by the animations too. Wish I'd have played them back in the day along with Football Kingdom to give myself a break as I'd have worn my PES discs out by then!

Looks like the animations in ISS were mo-capped too where as in PES they were handmade.

@MafiaMurderBag you could download Dolphin Emulator (Gamecube) and buy the games online at a very cheap price. A couple of years ago I downloaded the emulator and got every single ISS game (including the Jikkyou World Soccer series) from amazon, ebay and alibaba.

Since we are talking about other series, which FIFA was the best/most enjoyable one according to Retro-PES experts ? I'd say FIFA 16, which was pretty good, despite having a few annoying features. FIFA 14 was also good.

Since we are talking about other series, which FIFA was the best/most enjoyable one according to Retro-PES experts ? I'd say FIFA 16, which was pretty good, despite having a few annoying features. FIFA 14 was also good.

I have not played any FIFA games since FIFA World Cup '98 on the Playstation 1, it was good for the time.
:COAT::COAT::COAT:

I often dreamed back in the days about a Konami game that would pick the best characteristics of both.
I'm officially scared.
I was wondering how my perfect PES game would be if I could pick a feature or two from any ISS/PES game of my choice... And now I read this.

Fifa 17 is the one I've enjoyed the most. I can't remember play as many career championship as I did in that one. I liked a lot Fifa 16 too but despite a great number of tries I've never found a combination of sliders/ini that allowed me to stick to it for long, somehow the cpu ended up being unsatisfying too often.

I would have been curious to try Fifa 08 on Ps3/360. I've heard from people I used to trust that it was the Pes 5 to the Fifa saga. Unfortunately I never played it.

Okay you people this is me and I am back! Season 3 has ended.

pes3 12-07-2018 18-59-20-604.png

League has been conquered once again and this time conquest was total and unquestionable. We have won last eight games in a row setting a new record in Commonwealth's history. Four games before the grand finale, thanks to 1-2 victory against Haupstadt we have received our trophy. Rekordmeister tried to chase us but they were just losing too many damn points and ended up on third place after, which is a pleasant surprise, my lovely rivals of Longobardi.

pes3 12-07-2018 20-33-35-257 — kopia.png

pes3 12-07-2018 20-33-54-540.png

There was hardly any competition in the second round of the league season. Barbonez got the top striker crown, Rosicly became top assister, but main star was good ol' Serebrennikov who re-emerged from the bench to become Barbonez's partner up front. There's something weird about him. Some sort of sniper's instinct, he's so effective with his attempts. Sometimes coming off bench, getting one or two chances and finishing all. Wichniarek was disappointing later on and so he went off to the bench. And next season competition will be even tougher...

pes3 12-07-2018 20-33-39-955 — kopia.png

League Cup ended up in our hands as well. Rhein, contrary to our other games, were relatively disappointing and got curbstomped in the final absolutely. No special titles here (Robbie Fowler got them all lol), but still a decent performance overall and despite hiccups in first and third rounds (disappointing draws with Weser and Hanseaten in the first legs) we got through. Nice.

pes3 12-07-2018 19-14-57-739.png

In WEFA Championship, as you know, we were paried with Lazio. First leg in Italy started horribly, good ol' Enrico Chiesa literally demolished my defence in like 3rd minute and opened the score sheet. Izmailov responded quickly with a header, but just before the break some sort of wonder-pass by Chiesa got to another oldie, Diego Simeone and boy we were deep in the hole of troubles. In this first half, Lazio was easily the hardest team I have faced in PES 3 so far. One step ahead. Dangerous like a mother of fuck. Chiesa was crazy, there was literally nothing I could do to stop him, Kiraly did all the work and still conceded two. It was scary!

But in the second half, they kinda lost their flair and I slowly got back into the game. Serebrennikov came off the bench to replace Wichniarek and boy oh boy two chances, two goals, and somehow we were coming home with a W and really good result. Lazio calmed down as quickly as it fired up. Second, home game was something entirely different. Chiesa was non-existent. I literally don't remember anything of note done by anyone in the light blue shirt. Meanwhile we were running rampant and got nice and easy 2-0.

pes3 12-07-2018 18-45-16-556.png

We go into final baby! And there, unexpectedly, soon-to-be Southern League champions, Peleponissos got past Rhein which was kind of a surprise for me. Their guy, Giovanni, was a top scorer in WEFA Champs by far yeah but I wasn't expecting some sort of Greeks to get to the final. To be honest though they won in the league that has Milan, Juve and others in their absolute prime, they couldn't be bad.

It was a big final and I went ahead and recorded it. Another full match, and damn it was a great one!

pes3 12-07-2018 20-34-02-63.png

Welp...in case you are not in for the full game, my defence was so disappointing! And I have wasted so many chances. Oh boy...at least it gives me a good reason to keep playing!

What does the future hold for Commonwealth? Remaining default team players will get fired this year if I won't be able to sell them. There are many names on my list and I have like 60k points - considering you don't pay your players once a year it means I have entire 60k to splash on new guys. Four, maybe five top-class footballers. I still have some time before going to bed, so that means I'll be doing some research now.

Next year we will come back to not just win, but plunder and pillage entire Europe from trophies, monies and glory...and yeah, another star, I will have two from the next season! I can't wait for it. Why is it such a good feature?! Just makes me wanna play and collect those little shiny babies I tell you!

In my country's pes forum (wehellas), the current retroPES players say that FIFA 2011 is EA's masterpiece, their respective PES 6. I played it once 2-3 games. It seemed much better than the FIFA saga from 2006 until 2010. I can't compare it to the later as after 2011 i played only 2017 & 2018. 2017 seemed quite good. But i see many FIFA follower praising 2011 and 2016 as the "holy grails"

@Anjin: Shocked to see how good that Peloponnisos team is...Sagnol, Song, Niko Kovac, alongside Geovanni who was their real-life biggest star at that time, if I remember properly.

@fmicablues7: Good question...I haven't played FIFA16 but people say it's one of the best of the series. As for the ones I've played, FIFA08 was truly the gamechanger back then. It made such an impression on me that on that particular year and also on the following years until FIFA13, I played much more FIFA than PES (which was unthinkable back on the PS2 days). Still, I spent more time on FIFA08's newly introduced Arena, messing around with Ronaldinho than actually playing competitive matches, so this game is definitely on my list to revisit for a more in-depth experience.
From FIFA08 onwards, every FIFA game I played provides a solid experience, but they all bore me after a while of playing it.

Behold the now-famous long-passing from ISS3 PS2!

https://streamable.com/egg7o

It's a game from...2003.

https://streamable.com/2bwy4

Aaaaand I just read you can apply curve to the long passes too. As if I needed another excuse to keep mindlessly passing the ball from one side to the other...

https://streamable.com/pj1vx
Do you remember when you were on the attacking flanks,pushing a button the camera was zooming in and it was like a dribbling" mini game" between the sb and your winger.?

In other news, i jumped in the "hype-train" :P :P :D of @rockstrongo and @Madmac79 :BLINK: with pes 2013.I fixed Di Marias face.It took me 20 minutes to remember the Kserver GDB mappings and the kserver log file and fix them with notepad.I found the player id from pesmaster2013 , reverted him through in game to default, to implement him to GDB and job done.This mappimg and editing made me feel again 20 years old, now at my 32..KONAMi should give me a game designer diploma after all this years of bitching with outter tools to make their game run normally! !:COP:
Gameplay wise, this time i decided to tame the superstarAI of 13 which is pretty difficult , without 2018 scripting bitch@$$ cheap tricks.They are just outplaying me fair and square and killing me like Iceman 3-0, 4-0. The first change i done , is upgrade my pass assistance from one to two bars.I think it is closer to PA1 of nowadays , as we had 5 levels ,4+manual ,back then and now we have 4. I would keep PA 1 bar in 2013 as i like the freedom, but the game's AI is so bad on decision making, in how much assisted a pass shoyld be and when.The AIusually ends up register some easy close passes as manual and when im trying a difficult pass ,with 90% power gauge, it registers it as a simple assisted pass to the player next to the closer from me.So i feel i dont have any control in Pa1 (2013).I'll check my playstyle with PA2 now.Maybe i am not skilled enough for pes2013 meta.

Last edited:
Behold the now-famous long-passing from ISS3 PS2!

https://streamable.com/egg7o

It's a game from...2003.

https://streamable.com/2bwy4

Aaaaand I just read you can apply curve to the long passes too. As if I needed another excuse to keep mindlessly passing the ball from one side to the other...

https://streamable.com/pj1vx

Very fancy stuff indeed, I owned at least two of the ISS games on the Playstation 2 for about six months and then traded them in for about two quid a piece. They played a bit like an arcade football game from the mid-1990s for the most part. :ROLL::ROLL::ROLL:

After one day or so of errancy on PES2014 I have given a try to PES2013 and I have to say I am really impressed about it. Outside of the a bit clunky (but really varied) animations and the outdated graphics, it feels like playing a real game of football where you have to think and cope with the random moments (and they are a lot of those). I really like the tactical part of the game, it also feels like you are playing a tactical battle with your opponent.

I do have a small problem though. I am playing it on my Windows 10 PC and for some reason the gameplay config tool from Jenkey of version 3.24 or 3.25 doesn't want to open. When I click on it with administrator rights, something happens in the right low corner of my pc, but it closes immediately. I have tried older versions of the tool (3.00 to 3.21) and the tool opens correctly. But, as thing are never straightforward, the version 3.21 do not recognize my game exe (I can't attach it) which is updated to the last game version.

Does any of you guys have faced this issue and managed to overcome it?

I would love to be able to use the stadium server with this wonderful game.

Not sure if it is the right place to ask this though, I am sorry if it is not.

Last edited:
After one day or so of errancy on PES2014 I have given a try to PES2013 and I have to say I am really impressed about it. Outside of the a bit clunky (but really varied) animations and the outdated graphics, .

ahahah, maybe it's because I'm playing a lot of older Pes, but 12 and 13 almost looks like next gen to me at this point :D. I do especially love most of 13 animations.
Glad you are enjoying it tho. This older games are a breath of fresh air (more like an oxygen tank actually). So much depth!

I do have a small problem though. I am playing it on my Windows 10 PC and for some reason the gameplay config tool from Jenkey of version 3.24 or 3.25 doesn't want to open. When I click on it with administrator rights, something happens in the right low corner of my pc, but it closes immediately. I have tried older versions of the tool (3.00 to 3.21) and the tool opens correctly. But, as thing are never straightforward, the version 3.21 do not recognize my game exe (I can't attach it) which is updated to the last game version.

Does any of you guys have faced this issue and managed to overcome it?

I would love to be able to use the stadium server with this wonderful game.

Not sure if it is the right place to ask this though, I am sorry if it is not.

Sorry man, I'm not sure I can help you, I don't use Windows 10. Which patch are you using, anyway? I tried Pes Pro Team Patch 17/18 but it was bugged to me, both rosters and Jenkey tool. Then I installed a less recent PTE patch and everything worked fine, Jenkey's tool included. Maybe if you don't mind, you could try some other patch/version? Hope somebody else will give you a better solution.

ahahah, maybe it's because I'm playing a lot of older Pes, but 12 and 13 almost looks like next gen to me at this point :D. I do especially love most of 13 animations.
Glad you are enjoying it tho. This older games are a breath of fresh air (more like an oxygen tank actually). So much depth!

Sorry man, I'm not sure I can help you, I don't use Windows 10. Which patch are you using, anyway? I tried Pes Pro Team Patch 17/18 but it was bugged to me, both rosters and Jenkey tool. Then I installed a less recent PTE patch and everything worked fine, Jenkey's tool included. Maybe if you don't mind, you could try some other patch/version? Hope somebody else will give you a better solution.

I am using PESEdit 12.2, it is well updated to current football scene (except players stats and teams tactics which are meuh...) with also a nice graphic package (many many faces, ect...). I have also the blue patch by smoke which is older and come with two exe version. I will try with the older exe to see if it solves my problem.

PS: actually I have found a link toward many Patches for various version of the game if anyone is interested I can share it by PM.

I am using PESEdit 12.2, it is well updated to current football scene (except players stats and teams tactics which are meuh...) with also a nice graphic package (many many faces, ect...). I have also the blue patch by smoke which is older and come with two exe version. I will try with the older exe to see if it solves my problem.

PS: actually I have found a link toward many Patches for various version of the game if anyone is interested I can share it by PM.

Would love to see that link! I wouldn't mind a PM whenever you'll feel ;).

Do you remember when you were on the attacking flanks,pushing a button the camera was zooming in and it was like a dribbling" mini game" between the sb and your winger.?

In other news, i jumped in the "hype-train" :P :P :D of @rockstrongo and @Madmac79 :BLINK: with pes 2013.I fixed Di Marias face.It took me 20 minutes to remember the Kserver GDB mappings and the kserver log file and fix them with notepad.I found the player id from pesmaster2013 , reverted him through in game to default, to implement him to GDB and job done.This mappimg and editing made me feel again 20 years old, now at my 32..KONAMi should give me a game designer diploma after all this years of bitching with outter tools to make their game run normally! !:COP:
Gameplay wise, this time i decided to tame the superstarAI of 13 which is pretty difficult , without 2018 scripting bitch@$$ cheap tricks.They are just outplaying me fair and square and killing me like Iceman 3-0, 4-0. The first change i done , is upgrade my pass assistance from one to two bars.I think it is closer to PA1 of nowadays , as we had 5 levels ,4+manual ,back then and now we have 4. I would keep PA 1 bar in 2013 as i like the freedom, but the game's AI is so bad on decision making, in how much assisted a pass shoyld be and when.The AIusually ends up register some easy close passes as manual and when im trying a difficult pass ,with 90% power gauge, it registers it as a simple assisted pass to the player next to the closer from me.So i feel i dont have any control in Pa1 (2013).I'll check my playstyle with PA2 now.Maybe i am not skilled enough for pes2013 meta.
It takes some training with passing,I started on PA1 on 13,now I'm back playing manual again,I know manual isn't for everyone,but in this game,and Pes 12 it's really good,but then again I'm not on SS like you're playing,it's tough enough on professional, especially when teams like Barca puts pressure on you and you need to pass your way out of pressure.

I know I'll be bumping it up to TP eventually,but manual is surprisingly tough on professional

Squeezed by in the 2nd round of Copa del Rey.
Lost the first game 2-1,then had a solid 1-0 win at home Vs Getafe!

One thing that you forget really fast when playing Pes 15-18 is how good keepers are in Pes 11-12-13.
I mean goalies in 17-18 are really good to,but how they come out and clear long balls like modern GK does,and also comes out quick when CPU comes 1-1 Vs the keeper.
So much better than modern games.

My GK plays like a sweeper when CPU tries long balls all the time,by default.
Really impressing

One thing that you forget really fast when playing Pes 15-18 is how good keepers are in Pes 11-12-13.
I mean goalies in 17-18 are really good to,but how they come out and clear long balls like modern GK does,and also comes out quick when CPU comes 1-1 Vs the keeper.

Really impressing

Man, I was thinking the same just yesterday. The keepers coming out aggressively, diving low on the forward running alone are sooo satisfying, especially in this 12-13. Can't believe it's another of those things I've loved for a lifetime in Pes/Iss pro that it's just gone without a (good) reason in the latest editions.

Man, I was thinking the same just yesterday. The keepers coming out aggressively, diving low on the forward running alone are sooo satisfying, especially in this 12-13. Can't believe it's another of those things I've loved for a lifetime in Pes/Iss pro that it's just gone without a (good) reason in the latest editions.

Goalkeepers coming out aggressively is/was a game changer. Literally. Even if you press the triangle for them to come out doesn’t work anymore like it used to. They used to react so quickly and come out fast to stop a goal.

Really impressing

I often felt like, and once you see it you kind of can't unsee it.. That keepers are pretty static on the modern games especially on '17 & '18.

While they can pull off some unbelievable stops, most of the time they concede, they're practically standing on their goal line. This is my theory why they we so bad on '16, they literally stayed on their goal line and would never come out for 1 on 1's naturally.

I often felt like, and once you see it you kind of can't unsee it.. That keepers are pretty static on the modern games especially on '17 & '18.

While they can pull off some unbelievable stops, most of the time they concede, they're practically standing on their goal line. This is my theory why they we so bad on '16, they literally stayed on their goal line and would never come out for 1 on 1's naturally.
Spot on,it's like every GK on 15-18 has "stay on the line" card or something,nowhere near these old games.
Which is so strange,is it to entertain the Myclub crowd?

Can't believe they dumbed down GK,so stupid.
In 12-13 they're so organic

Goalkeepers coming out aggressively is/was a game changer. Literally. Even if you press the triangle for them to come out doesn’t work anymore like it used to. They used to react so quickly and come out fast to stop a goal.

Yeah, absolutely game changing as you said. One of the things that stucked on me the most in something as old as Iss Pro 98 was that damn keeper coming out from his goal and making scoring one v one harder than Fifa, but so much more realistical. Or even in the other Psx chapters.. the only fact they were so aggressive forced you to become more creative and varied in your finishes, with lobs, timed shoots or dribblings. I even remember taller goalkeepers like Toldo or Buffon coming out more aggressively than the others.

And we are talking about Psx here..

Back
Top Bottom