The Retro-PES Corner

I was just thinking, one thing that's never been in any pes game is wind.

Imagine playing in a wind like this :LOL:

I remember Walsall conceding a corner from a goal kick in wind like that. That's the sort of thing you would have seen in PS1 footy games. In FIFA 96 there was a cheat to direct the ball after you had kicked it.

I think I may have got a firm foothold in the PES 6 Default Originals Challenge at last after six attempts. Biggest end of season ML points surplus for the end of season one of more than 5000 points and with several players who refused automatic contract renewal terms, having let them go then, the salary total for season two is much smaller.

Player development really improving the likes of Ruskin, Jaric, Giersen and the re gens Celnili and Harty is making getting results much more possible, as @miguelfcp and @mattmid pointed out.
Thanks lads. :TU::TU::TU:

I was just thinking, one thing that's never been in any pes game is wind.

Imagine playing in a wind like this :LOL:

That would definitely cause some severe rage quitting :LOL: I think that we've also found the guy who did the motion-capture for the PES goalkeepers. Maybe they can also include a pre-match grass mowing mini-game, so you can turn your pitch into a nuclear wasteland.

@daveer91 :D It would be good (not that you could probably trust Konami to implement it properly these days!) if for example it took 10-20 metres off the keeper's kicks (or on them if with the wind) Swirling crosses etc. Nothing too excessive but noticeable enough in that it can be used to your advantage or cause you problems.

@daveer91 :D It would be good (not that you could probably trust Konami to implement it properly these days!) if for example it took 10-20 metres off the keeper's kicks (or on them if with the wind) Swirling crosses etc. Nothing too excessive but noticeable enough in that it can be used to your advantage or cause you problems.

Not so sure about adding wind mate. Was remembering how impossible scoring in PES 2 was when it was raining. The Default lads could not even get the ball to reach the goal. :ROLL::ROLL::ROLL:

Finally getting to grips with this Heerenveen sqaud in PES5!

Thanks to whoever invented the away goal rule :D as drew 1-1 with Celta Vigo. My team battled on and did get a lucky goal as a mixup with the Celta defence.

Next game was against Club Brugge and smashed them 3-0 with Huntelaar getting a hat trick. Finally my star player is finding form. Not even 1000 goal man Javier Portillo could rescue the Belgian club lol!

Next up is the transfer market. I do feel the squad need strengthening as stamina levels go quick. Plus my CB pairing is so slooooww, lucky I have a keeper sweeper :)

I'm thinking of making a website or blog style with my progress of ML. What's the best and easy one to use nowadays. I checked Word Press and that's more like a Website Builder type (I've seen the CM 97/98 blog using this) it's been ages since I did coding (back at university days)

I just want something easy to maintain and manage and if free a bonus!

In PES2008 PS2, Prof difficulty, 15 mins.

I have been playing a mini wc as Argentina. First group match was against Russia.

We was 2-0 down at half time but then i gave Messi a little forward arrow in formation settings and then he scored a fantastic 10 minute hatrick. I love the way each goal is left footed dribbling, left footed shot.

Then bang! Russia scored a fantastic 25yarder against our reserve GK.

Goals are here...

In the next game it was tight against Spain. Messi was a bit quieter but still a threat. Then in the 90th min Angel Di Maria cut from the left and curled in a beauty.

Final game was against France. They dominated and won 2-1. I thought we were out until i saw my team celebrating. We qualified above Russia because A is before R :P

Then in the knock out against Belgium Messi had a blue arrow but i still played him. But you could tell the difference, he was still good but not dribbling as well.

It was such a tough game. It was 1–1 at full time. Then it extra time i think Mertens scored for them. We had our chances, one in particular was when Di Maria saw Messi on the edge of the box. So he played it out to him and it was all set up for the magician to score the equaliser but the keeper made a great save.

So much in this game and i cannot wait till i eventually start a ML and start reporting here. Probably wont be for a few months though :(

Oh i forgot to mention that Belgium beat Spain in the final.

@geeeeee Really nice stuff. I'm starting to think I should spend some time fixing my PS2 emulator settings and finally seriously give a try to the real Pes 2008. The ai seems like something else.

The Cheryshev goal in particular is CRAZY considering what he just scored against Croatia. Pes imitating real life :D!
Looking forward for your ML mate.

@geeeeee Really nice stuff. I'm starting to think I should spend some time fixing my PS2 emulator settings and finally seriously give a try to the real Pes 2008. The ai seems like something else.

The Cheryshev goal in particular is CRAZY considering what he just scored against Croatia. Pes imitating real life :D!

Thanks, yes it is very similar to that goal. It completely caught me and the keeper by surprise.

Being honest i was struggling to enjoy the game for the last 3 weeks that was why i was asking questions about what best controllers to get because i was getting frustrated with constant pressing and dribbling from the CPU and thought a new controller would help :P

But @bussinrounds and myself have been experimenting to try to change the CPU from playing that way. One thing that i found helps a lot is making my own controlled team play with Offside Tactic set to A and Defensive Line set to A. This means that your players defend higher up which gives you more chance to stop the dribbling before they get into your penalty area where you may start to panic!

For some reason this has stopped the dribbling and constant pressing. Maybe it is just coincidence but the last 4 or 5 games have been great since. In the game against France, mentioned earlier, the French team were playing it around the back for a bit. It was quite funny seeing them passing in diamonds, CB to SB to DM to CB. Then they sprayed it out to the left and put a cross in which nearly caught me out. Great stuff!

I’m still enjoying the reading keep it up guys. :)

The Cheryshev goal in particular is CRAZY considering what he just scored against Croatia. Real life imitating PES :D!

Corrected.

I'm playing 15 Min games (going for 20 next game) manual and professional
Can't believe how much soul and quality these games have.
Stunning
Also,playing these games has made me come out of my comfort zone,I always play Serie A,now it's La Liga with Betis,all licensed,all stadiums (except 2) and being able to create stadiums for Liga 123(2nd league)
Taking that option away must be the dumbest move by konami ever.

I'm currently making my way through my "Last Gen PES Pilgrimage" currently playing with PES '10 & '11 and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on '13 again, I dearly loved that game and was so proud with how much they accomplished with this game. Felt so polished and stacked with content. Then '14 happened and it was like PES 2008 all over again. The habit of stripping games and content back to square one began again..

But yeah I agree, The stadium creator provided so much variety and culture in master league and surely can't be resource heavy to bring back, yet they seem to dodge the opportunity to re-introduce it, citing that "Nobody was interested in it".

Sorry, but who's nobody you speak on behalf of? Nobody was interested in your shitty little dinosaurs or your bloody candy wrapper football novelties but you insisted on shoehorning them into our games didn't ya!

I'm currently making my way through my "Last Gen PES Pilgrimage" currently playing with PES '10 & '11 and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on '13 again, I dearly loved that game and was so proud with how much they accomplished with this game. Felt so polished and stacked with content. Then '14 happened and it was like PES 2008 all over again. The habit of stripping games and content back to square one began again..

But yeah I agree, The stadium creator provided so much variety and culture in master league and surely can't be resource heavy to bring back, yet they seem to dodge the opportunity to re-introduce it, citing that "Nobody was interested in it".

Sorry, but who's nobody you speak on behalf of? Nobody was interested in your shitty little dinosaurs or your bloody candy wrapper football novelties but you insisted on shoehorning them into our games didn't ya!
Ha ha,yeah the dinosaur and candy wrapper bs is so stupid.

I'm currently enjoying my 13 a great deal,and it's so varied,tough teams are hard to beat,I have Real and Barca coming up and I expect a beating for sure.

It's a very well made game,just like 12,if you don't have a high attack level set,you don't see your wingers coming up all the way.
And you can grind out a 0-0 game if you play smart defense.
Comparing to how current games are,these games are miles ahead.

Liking the fact that you can't go out and buy whatever player you wish either.
So glad I started playing these

I took some pause from the weary grind of Pes 5 to try out some more Pes 2012 (recently took again) and Pes 2013. Just friendlies for now.

I must say I'm super impressed, so far, by this two games. They both have an immense value. Will talk in detail when I'll play them more.

I must point out, tho, that the greatest lesson I'm learning taking them up again, is realizing how superficially I used to play this games back in the days- but this can be said a bit for all the rest of retro-Pes games, not only those two. Even if I greatly enjoyed those games, it's like I used to see more the faults and the bad things, always nitpicking them to the bone, only to kinda discard the great qualities those titles held as "granted".. well, 5 years of this so called next gen teached me better. Now, if anything, I'm really glad I can play again all those gems with another eye.

Liking the fact that you can't go out and buy whatever player you wish either.
So glad I started playing these

I must point out, tho, that the greatest lesson I'm learning taking them up again, is realizing how superficially I used to play this games back in the days- but this can be said a bit for all the rest of retro-Pes games, not only those two. Even if I greatly enjoyed those games, it's like I used to see more the faults and the bad things, always nitpicking them to the bone, only to kinda discard the great qualities those titles held as "granted".. well, 5 years of this so called next gen teached me better. Now, if anything, I'm really glad I can play again all those gems with another eye.

Right on! It's surreal isn't it, played these to death and was obsessed and definitely over did it to the point where you'd grow frustrated that you couldn't do certain things we would later have access to in the next gen. Now I've grown stifled with '17 & '18's directions going back and playing these classics is a new lease of life. Reinvigorating and their surprisingly playable and enjoyable. makes me nostalgic about how excited i got about these games leading up to release/demo then full game.

It's fun re-learning how to play them and the best part is that i don't have to wait until September to play a new PES. These games and classic rosters are new.

Some of you might remember me complaining about how awful and unproductive the AI was in CPU v CPU sims on PES 6. Simmed Sweden v England TWICE ON 20 MINUTE GAMES & still the AI would do jack with it. So i decided to take on 1998 winners France myself with Belgium in honour of tonight's All Star Semi Final clash, and boy the CPU must've heard me cussing it. I got thrashed. Even scoring a world class volley you'd never see the AI gamble on from Griezmann.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Are you commited to buying only default regens, or newgens are allowed too?

@Madmac79: Just read your new post and you bring up a really valuable point: re-playing these games allows us to use our maturity to understand better their value. I was only a very very young kid when I began playing PES so obviously I'm finding out now that I didn't take full advantage of those early versions; not only because I previously only played in two/three star difficulty, but also because our knowledge of football improves as the years go by and we become better prepare to enjoy those games' engines.

Regarding PES2008 PS2, I really recommend you do set-up your emulator to play it. It's a great PES game which really would've gone unnoticed if it weren't for people like @geeeeee who understood its potential. I had the game sitting god-knows-where on the darkest ends of my closet for a decade and if it weren't for him, I'd never have re-played and discovered this gem of a game.

great thread thought id give some thoughts as I have been playing the forgotten PES over the last few days PES 4 in fact I don't even remember playing it when it came out I think i stayed playing PES 3

A good game the AI is better in attack than in PES 5 there is more variety to their play I remember an old interview with seabass where he said they had to remove some parts of the gaming code to make room for extra stadiums teams and fleshing out modes as they were limited by space its a shame really since PES 3 and 4 off the shelf (while nothing insanely difficult) are more challenging than the later PS2 games imo except PES 2008 PS2

slight annoyances are the defenders no matter what setting will push up way too high and it leads to a lot of 1v1 situations on goal for both you and CPU, crossing with one press is too floaty, and of course the goalkeepers are a bit suspect at times including when they stay rooted and a shot misses by 1cm happens way too often

Next up im going to play a World Cup on jikkyou world soccer France 98 for the N64

hqdefault.jpg

A good game the AI is better in attack than in PES 5 there is more variety to their play I remember an old interview with seabass where he said they had to remove some parts of the gaming code to make room for extra stadiums teams and fleshing out modes as they were limited by space

Whoa. Really. Really!? Really!?!?!?! The reason Pes 5 has that subpar attacking AI which is preventing it from being the greatest soccer ever created for the rest of time.. is probably just that they needed extra stadiums and teams?!

Man, that feels beyond bad if true :( ..

@fmicablues7 main thing I've changed was DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution apparently) to the max (x4), also some other anti-aliasing settings, generally maxing things out. I know nothing about graphic settings and other tricks. If it wasn't for kitserver and sweetfx I don't know if I could stomach all those hard edges and low resoluton I'm serious.

So in general my changes are:
*Kitserver: 1920x1080 resolution and widescreen, also camera set to like 1300 at this point.
*Sweetfx: basic settings, I've just enabled that HDR thing for a bit extra better looks and it seems to be working okay.
*Nvidia: DSR and some other random settings I have no real idea what they do :D

As of ML, it goes great, I am hooked. Played few more matches yesterday, ending with a huge win against North London in the WEFA Champs. Only 1-0 but damn! So much danger up front. Both Henry and Kanu are scary, each in his own way. They've got close a few times but ultimately I saved the win. In the league it's going okay, especially because I've beaten my Italian Archenemies (TM) The Longobardies 3 to 1.

About to play a few games tonight, but I have some smol stuff recorded from earlier. First is my first free kick goalshot, and that was recorded with the Win10 recording overlay thing so it looks whack. But it's a free kick goal! First one, although I've gotten close a few times.

Another was my first goal against Longobardi and it was great because of the long ball from Rosicly, that pass made everything possible. Bit of an intuition from #VM30 and we got one quickly. But whats important is the visual quality, that's how the game looks for me and damn it's scary how much can you squeeze from it with a bit of magic thingies like sweetfx.

Wish I had a microphone and wasn't renting a room in a place with other people. I would record a few games and talk some mad shit for you, also probably scream a bit like a madman when the goals happen. Sadly, not now, maybe in 2-3 months, but not now :(

I love this thread. Instead of the constant seeking of the one good PES game it's each to their own. Thanks to you guys I've got into PES 3 and for real, it's even better than PES 5 and PES 6 which I've played for years (go look for my ML Adventures thread posts from ~2011-2012 when there were like five posts a year in there) looks pretty bland in comparison to this :D

I have tried PES 2011 and 2013 a few times but could never get into it. Not that I need them, I have PES 3 and it's exactly what I wish for. So glad everyone is finding "their" own game though and we all get to share thingies here. Loving all of this that is happening here very muchly! :D

EDIT: OMG the horror!

So I went to play the rematch in WEFA Champs against North London and it was away game and it was a terror. I held onto 0-0 until 70th minute when Cygan, of all people, scored with his head from a corner kick pass head. I've had my chances, but NLN was on fire and I barely held onto my life. Into penalty kicks...

Horror was real. But we've made it! Perhaps the worst team we could've got. It's Lazio next, any bets?

Also mad props to KONAMI for that David Seaman. What a legendary face! God I wish that was me...

pes3 10-07-2018 19-09-02-274.png

pes3 10-07-2018 19-31-15-641.png

pes3 10-07-2018 19-31-01-260.png

Last edited:
Right on! It's surreal isn't it, played these to death and was obsessed and definitely over did it to the point where you'd grow frustrated that you couldn't do certain things we would later have access to in the next gen. Now I've grown stifled with '17 & '18's directions going back and playing these classics is a new lease of life. Reinvigorating and their surprisingly playable and enjoyable. makes me nostalgic about how excited i got about these games leading up to release/demo then full game.

It's fun re-learning how to play them and the best part is that i don't have to wait until September to play a new PES. These games and classic rosters are new.

Some of you might remember me complaining about how awful and unproductive the AI was in CPU v CPU sims on PES 6. Simmed Sweden v England TWICE ON 20 MINUTE GAMES & still the AI would do jack with it. So i decided to take on 1998 winners France myself with Belgium in honour of tonight's All Star Semi Final clash, and boy the CPU must've heard me cussing it. I got thrashed. Even scoring a world class volley you'd never see the AI gamble on from Griezmann.

Great win,and man that looks good.
Isn't it great that these games have such depht,and quite tricky to learn again,loving that the learning curve is kinda hardcore,something that suits us old and grumpy gits:)
Wish I had a better pc to be able to play Pes 3-4-5-6.
But I'm getting a PS2 (girlfriend just sighs) after the summer.
Glad to see aboard this train @MafiaMurderBag

In PES2008 PS2, Prof difficulty, 15 mins.

I have been playing a mini wc as Argentina. First group match was against Russia.

We was 2-0 down at half time but then i gave Messi a little forward arrow in formation settings and then he scored a fantastic 10 minute hatrick. I love the way each goal is left footed dribbling, left footed shot.

Then bang! Russia scored a fantastic 25yarder against our reserve GK.

Goals are here...

In the next game it was tight against Spain. Messi was a bit quieter but still a threat. Then in the 90th min Angel Di Maria cut from the left and curled in a beauty.

Final game was against France. They dominated and won 2-1. I thought we were out until i saw my team celebrating. We qualified above Russia because A is before R :P

Then in the knock out against Belgium Messi had a blue arrow but i still played him. But you could tell the difference, he was still good but not dribbling as well.

It was such a tough game. It was 1–1 at full time. Then it extra time i think Mertens scored for them. We had our chances, one in particular was when Di Maria saw Messi on the edge of the box. So he played it out to him and it was all set up for the magician to score the equaliser but the keeper made a great save.

So much in this game and i cannot wait till i eventually start a ML and start reporting here. Probably wont be for a few months though :(

Oh i forgot to mention that Belgium beat Spain in the final.
Omg @geeeeee made Messi great again!
Smashing game mate

@Anjin: As usual I loved your post, but that picture of Highbury takes it to a whole new different level, it warms my heart. Admittedly I often fire up Retro-PES games just to play in old stadiums like that one, Olympiastadion (former Bayern Munchen's stadium), Delle Alpi or the Rasunda. Some of them don't even exist anymore, having been demolished, so you're literally a time traveller when you play a game of PES on those stadiums in 2018.

I took some pause from the weary grind of Pes 5 to try out some more Pes 2012 (recently took again) and Pes 2013. Just friendlies for now.

I must say I'm super impressed, so far, by this two games. They both have an immense value. Will talk in detail when I'll play them more.

Well put @Madmac79
I use to be irritated and nitpicking when I played my 13,always wanting the next game etc.

Now I take my time,carefully setting up training, evaluating if my tactics are the best every 3-4 games,scouting players,which will I buy next season,what do I need for my next two three seasons.

I've decided to make my team (Betis) a top ten team within 2-3 seasons
A top five team within 5 (EL/CL every year) then really fight for trophies from season 6 and onwards.

Also setting up my team carefully each game.
That's why I,if I'm lucky get 2 games a day.

So you're right mate,we do see these gems with different eyes now,most importantly,we cherish and understand how good they are,and not really bothered with what comes out late august

Had a tough game Vs the team that's last in the league, Valladolid!
1-0 lead in the 35th minute,then they scored on me just on the 45th minute mark.
Couldn't relax against these guys, constantly going long over my defensive line.
But in the 83rd I go my chance,a nice little through ball between their CB and RB and my left winger smashed it in for 2-1.

Next game Athletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon.
2-0 loss,and I wasn't even close.

Tmw I'll be playing Barcelona,the good news is that all my key players are fit and in shape,the bad news is,it's Barcelona!
10th place after 9 games

One thing when playing older games on an older machine,it's a nightmare capturing stuff.
Anyway!
Barcelona at home,first half even stevens,0-0,I had two three good chances ,and Barcelona had a few to.
The pressure they put on my def,Mama Mia!
Not one second to decide,that's on manual as well!

Game ended 2-1 Barca,they scored on a fast break after I had a corner,then on one of their corners,a rebound taken by Pedro.
First goal by David Villa.
I managed to score in the 87th minute,on a corner!

Great game really tough,and actuallyy play even was a result for me

GeIMG_20180711_015805.jpg
Getting a fair and spectacular game Vs this side is really encouraging
Look at this line up

IIMG_20180711_015830.jpg
I'm looking fw to my next game Vs Getafe,a Copa del Rey match.
Doing alright in the league, considering I've played Athletico and Barca the past two games
IMG_20180711_020544.jpg

@WhoAteMeDinner: Are you commited to buying only default regens, or newgens are allowed too?

@Madmac79: Just read your new post and you bring up a really valuable point: re-playing these games allows us to use our maturity to understand better their value. I was only a very very young kid when I began playing PES so obviously I'm finding out now that I didn't take full advantage of those early versions; not only because I previously only played in two/three star difficulty, but also because our knowledge of football improves as the years go by and we become better prepare to enjoy those games' engines.

Regarding PES2008 PS2, I really recommend you do set-up your emulator to play it. It's a great PES game which really would've gone unnoticed if it weren't for people like @geeeeee who understood its potential. I had the game sitting god-knows-where on the darkest ends of my closet for a decade and if it weren't for him, I'd never have re-played and discovered this gem of a game.

@miguelfcp , maybe you could help me with this question, are all the players in the Newcomers players list in the search by groups menu re gens and new gens of default players ? And to answer your question, I am only signing the re gen defaults from PES 2 and PES 3 era as I have played hardly any Master League campaigns in later games, gave up on PES 2009 and 2010 after a couple of Serie A leagues. And so I can't recognise any later default names. Thanks man. :?:?:?

Back
Top Bottom