The Retro-PES Corner

Hello there guys. I was kinda fed up with the modern PES games being not so enjoyable to me because of the so called 'Team Spirit' in Master League mode. This thread has inspired me to get back in to the retro PES games. I've been playing the following PES games lately (all of them on PS2):

-PES 2010: I really want to like this one, but there seems to be a controller 'bug' in this game. Sometimes the passing button is being 'auto-pushed' and all kinds of bad things happen (own goals for example).

-PES 6: Started a Master League with Celtic (real squad) on this one. In season 1 I almost finished at the bottom, but managed to win the div.2 cup. In season 2 I'm still struggling for form. I signed Julius Aghahowa, who has been quite a ledge. What I don't like about this game is the AI being able to shoot almost every ball on target (and mostly resulting to a goal as well).

-PES 4: Played a couple of matches in this game. Not sure what to think about this one. I don't see this game being mentioned that much in this thread. What do you guys think about this game?

PES 3: I've bought this one because it gets quite a bit of positive attention in this thread. I started a Master League save with North East London, the Konami default players and highest match difficulty. I played 3 matches (2 draws and 1 loss) and have been really enjoying this game.

I am definitely interested in the DB side to it. Might start with PES6 as there is a ton of stuff I could look at.

Back to my Pes 5 in this days.

No promotion of course! And I couldn't beat Frey in the crucial game, more incredible saves from him. But given that Fiorentina was promoted at least I don't have to see his dyed haired mug in this current season :D .

Luckily I could save enough money anyway not only to not game over but also to buy more original regens; I did 4 summer friendlies, which is usually completely opposite to my principles, but I had to if I wanted to complete the team so I had my fair share of All star and Bald team guys matches. So in, after Celnini, Njorgo and Vornander last january, could also came my beloved Kelsen, Ostwaut, Nachdecal, Barota and Edingson; Macco and Zamenhof didn't want to renew at my offer so I had to say goodbye to them at least for now.

New season it's still really hard and unforgiving; I'm trying to find a good module/formation but I keep missing something. I want to say thank you to whoever suggested Stein as a central defender pages and pages ago.. that stucked to my mind and I tried it out only now, and that's a wonderful choice! Despite his 1,68 of height he works so good over there, he seems like a mix between Cannavaro and the best Ivan Cordoba.. small and explosive.

I'm currently 1 point to the second place and one game to the transfer pause. Just had the most wonderful of the double matches in my first round of D2 Cup.. lost 2-1 the first game against Palermo, won 2-1 the return match, had to play the extra time in ten for a red card to Jaric, and with my team half dead for the inexistent stamina but still playing offensively, they almost scored numerous times.. only for me to won in a throbbing penalty shootout! I've even took a nice screenshot of Njorgo celebrating dhe decisive penalty, but unfotunately print screen didn't save it. I must remember to play with fraps on.. daargh.
I'm still virtually exahusted, anyway:D . But that's why I play this game after all!

I still don't get why they didnt leave the development stuff until pes5 bc none of the pes4 defaults develops except macco

pes4 is a step back from pes3 in ways but i still think its a solid pes, last one with our god and savior of giants, vornander lol. libermann is cool tho

@miguelfcp I love looking at little quirks in the game. There is a YouTube channel called Did you know gaming who look at interesting nuggets of information in games that are generally not well known. There must be loads for PES.

pes3 07-07-2018 23-49-14-892.png

New season hype! Look at the little star above our logo isn't it like the most fantastic thing ever? Konami you bloody fool, why leave this kind of thing behind? Whyyyyy?! Utter whacks!

Either way I have done a lot of signings after grabbing the title. Quality Hungarian GK Kiraly was brought in because our local talent boi Kuszczak was simply not up to the task. Free agents Mitletelski (CB, Macedonia), Kyrgiakos (CB, Greece) and Barbonez (CF, Bosnia-Herzegovina) were grabbed for free. And then Commonwealth splashed the big monies on two Czechs, AMF Rosicly (12k!!!) and SMF Popchski (10k still a ton!). Add promising Romanian DMF Ghioane for a mere 6 or 7k whatever, also we sold a few default team whackers, and our team was ready to fight for treble in Season 3.

pes3 08-07-2018 00-03-16-456.png

I hate when I get two of my league teams in WEFA. I want to explore foreign cultures, there's no need for me to beat my league rivals even more. Our group went swimmingly well, although I forgot to take screenshot since we got instantly moved to the next phase. Five wins, one draw in away game against Ile de France, tons of goals and entertainment all around. Cups were decent overall - we've passed first round of D1 Cup. Weser got real lucky in the first leg (1:1), but we just ran them over in the second (4:0). Also grabbed a quick win in the QF game 1 against Haupstadt (1:0. So far so good.

pes3 08-07-2018 20-14-02-827.png
League is so far crazy! First three games, despite heavy artillery with Rosicly and Barbonez up front were goalless draws. Then a few wins came, including top-notch decimation of Rekordmeister (2-0) thanks to Barbonez damn his shot power is incredible, he can smash it from the weirdest angle and its always a cannonball - loving him now although he had a rough start. Huge shoutout to Kiraly and Ghioane, thanks to them I haven't conceded a goal in first eight games!!! Kiraly pulled off some incredible saves here and there. Ghioane, when he has his day, is just chasing people down and knocking them out big time. DMF is always very important for me, he has to be everywhere and has to be able to beat down anyone, so far Ghioane is not disappointing at all.

Only in our last, 9th game, we've lost against Rhein. It was crazy game, and they got one in 90th minute...I really don't mind this. In new PES it would always be the case of fantastic, emotional scripts that [insert the whole rant about artificial shite ruining otherwise decent game], and here it's just the way it is and I am totally fine with this.
pes3 08-07-2018 20-14-16-344.png

Our league is so strong this year. 4/8 teams in WEFA Championship QFs are ours. Title defenders Lombardia didn't pass qualifiers it seems lolmao. Competition is tough, but at this point I think I'm more likely to win WEFA title than league. All the strong league teams, despite low league position are so hard to break down. Rekordmeister was a very welcome exception, but Westfalen, Ruhr and Feyenoord were crazy goalless draws and Rhein even managed to beat me.

I really want that second star on my badge now that I see how it works. I can't not win the league again!

You know I actually prefer the menus in the earlier PES games.
That star above the crest is a great feature. I wonder how many it would go up to?

3 games in on my ML (restart) with Real Betis on Pes 13.
This game is so much fun right now,need to adjust Def/Atk levels in certain patches of the game.
Won my first,the 2nd game was a dull 0-0 game Vs Getafe, absolutely amazing,a dull 0-0 game!
Then a 2-1 win Vs Espanyol,came back from trailing 1-0 and won the game in the 80th minute,played super Def the last ten min

Also like the fact that I need to wheel and deal to have a good team it isn't easy getting big signings (budget,players not interested etc)

But I'm slowly building a good team,first season focus on GK and Def.

IMG_20180709_005507.jpg
Next game will be Vs Espanyol in the Copa del Rey,then it's Valencia away,that will be tough as nails.
IMG_20180709_005553.jpg
I'm playing 15 Min games (going for 20 next game) manual and professional
Can't believe how much soul and quality these games have.
Stunning
Also,playing these games has made me come out of my comfort zone,I always play Serie A,now it's La Liga with Betis,all licensed,all stadiums (except 2) and being able to create stadiums for Liga 123(2nd league)
Taking that option away must be the dumbest move by konami ever.

Last edited:
@Anjin That star on your kit is a very cool feature. Would be cool if you can get a bigger star after winning 10 league titles (or something like that). In the Netherlands you can get a star after 10 league titles. Also good to see Feyenoord top of the table at one of your screenshots :)

I'm trying to sign some cheap Japanese and Korean players in my current PES 3 Master League. I've already signed the GK called Narazaki (80+ response and gk skill) and we might even get the ledge called Ahn Jung Hwan to join the mighty North East London team.

Hello,

So I started a Master League on PES5 with Heerenveen and it's so difficult!

I've picked the middle-ish level teams in all leagues.

I just find it so hard to score...I think it's the players that are in the team.

So far my record in the league is 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats.

When taking corners, do you press R2 and circle to curl the ball. I usually do and let it go halfway mark on the crossing bar (if you know what I mean lol))

Also as its near time to buy players in my league, how much do I offer

For example Player A costs 1000 points and gets 300 wages. How much do I change this to make the player join? Or does it depend on my ranking in the league?

Thanks

Ahmed

Hello,

So I started a Master League on PES5 with Heerenveen and it's so difficult!

I've picked the middle-ish level teams in all leagues.

I just find it so hard to score...I think it's the players that are in the team.

So far my record in the league is 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats.

When taking corners, do you press R2 and circle to curl the ball. I usually do and let it go halfway mark on the crossing bar (if you know what I mean lol))

Also as its near time to buy players in my league, how much do I offer

For example Player A costs 1000 points and gets 300 wages. How much do I change this to make the player join? Or does it depend on my ranking in the league?

Thanks

Ahmed

Hi ahmed! I've always found transfer market a bit weird in Pes 5. In the sense that it's never been clear to me, among the other things, how much your ranking does affect your buys. Sometimes it's enough to offer a bit more than their price and salary, some other you offer ridiculous amounts of points and they still don't come for some mysterious reason.. I still remember trying to buy Rooney in my Chelsea ML in which I've won all years and years ago, and he still didn't arrived despite me offering crazy stuff.. go figure. Personally in all this years, I've always, ALWAYS made transfers by exchanging players as it's the easiest way to dramatically reduce the big sums you might need.

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originials Challenge Season 1 (Restart 6):

Not being familiar with getting my ass kicked in any PES game, having played always at the max difficulty setting, this game is not going to beat me, goddammit. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

I have completely changed my style of play, formation and team selection in the sixth restart attempt.
A 4-3-3 with two defensive midfielders and Castolo, Minanda and Hamsun are replaced by Espinas, Celnili and Ordaz, with Harty and Giersen in DMF positions. Signed again the re gen Harty, Celnili and Vornander.

Ordaz is a revelation, never used him before, he scores far more often than Hamsun or Castolo and and does not need ten chances.

Results: PLD 12 W 3 D 2 L 7 GF 9 GA 15

Best run so far and only need 500 more ML points from two more games to be in the black after end of season salary bill is paid.

Then its back to picking up the re gen default legends: Kelsen is top target. :D:D:D

@Madmac79 thanks for the reply re: transfers

Might have to do some "rip-off" swaps. I usually offer 3 times as much as the starting value of the player and wages.

Woh, you never need to do that, the fee and salary that is set when you open the negotiation screen is almost always accepted. If the players' contract is in its final year or two is more of a factor.
And of course what transfer difficulty you set the ML at.

Another tip, loan contracts work great, a third of the normal transfer fee for a season loan and good to have a look at a player and see how good they are.

@WhoAteMeDinner oh ok I thought I needed to raise the offer. I'll give it a go and see who I can get. Desperately need some strengthening in my squad.

I am playing at 6 star. I can't remember the transfer difficulty. Is there even an option for it as I can't remember when starting the new game lol! It's PES 5

Valencia away and I got a proper beating.
3-0 and a sending off.

Any tips on training?
I have 17 focus points to spread out in 6 categories.
I've usually spread them out evenly,but I'm trying a new system.
4 day interval,maxing out category 1,the remaining 7 points on conditioning,then the next 4 days maxing cat 2.

Any tips will be welcomed

WE9LE World Cup 2018 Online - Semifinals broadcast

Tonight - France (@miguelfcp) vs Belgium (@lazoli) - 11pm UK time

---
@Titch - Hmmm I see. There are a few quirks in PES' databases over the years, such as Muammar Gheddafi's son playing for Udinese in PES5. His statsheet must've been the worst I've ever seen in a PES game, which is even more impressive given the fact that he was in a roster alongside players like Di Natale or Iaquinta. Just the story of how he got to play there is worth of a page-long Retro-PES article.
I also remember a few months ago scanning a PSP PES game's database and finding a 15-year-old player, I think I found him on a greek team. I do recall a few 16-year olds on PES, such as Man United's Giuseppe Rossi for example, but I don't think I had ever seen a 15-year-old.
Oh, and I've seen Elinton Andrade in a PES game (don't recall which one), he played for Marseille many years ago and is currently Portugal's beach soccer National Team's goalkeeper.

@Titch I too love that early 00s aesthetic to death. I remember checking out ISS Pro Evo on PSX emulator like two years ago and that one had excellent menus as well.

I'll do my best to find out how many stars I can get :D

@daveer91 yeah the stars thing is phenomenal. Such a tiny detail but it gives you so much satisfaction...

Feyenoord is not doing well anymore (see below), but I have to say I love van Hooijdonk in this game. He's constantly on the move, all over the place, causing ruckus left and right. He really is a troublemaker for me, big time!

Met a few players like this in ML so far. Hooijdonk, Agali, Roberto Baggio, Ailton, they're all noticeable up front in their specific way...Hooijdonk is all-around dangerman, Baggio is excellent dribbler, Agali has excellent pace and Ailton is a walking tank. I am always vary of them and defending against them is so much fun :D

TL;DR I LOVE PES 3 ITS THE GREATEST THING EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Here, have a full game. No sound since I forgot, but whatever. Just got to the first place after real rough game with Hanseaten and right away got to face former leaders Feyenoord. Another quality game, just top notch football action all around. How did it go? See for yourself:

I really should get some sort of video editor thing and cut those things...

Played a few more games, about to face North London in WEFA Champs QFs. Finally got to the top of the table, but Rekordmeister, Feyenoord and my archenemies of Longobardi are not giving up. Funny how my last season main rival, Marmara is fighting to avoid relegation now lolimao and they've even bought Robbie Fowler this year! Transfers in this game are crazy and I fully approve of that.

Also I was experimenting a bit with NVidia settings and guess I've got the game to look even better. Whatchu think? Check this out:

pes3 09-07-2018 18-13-36-14.png pes3 09-07-2018 18-30-34-81.png pes3 09-07-2018 18-58-05-698.png Pro Evolution Soccer 3 08.07.2018 22_33_12.png

@Titch I too love that early 00s aesthetic to death. I remember checking out ISS Pro Evo on PSX emulator like two years ago and that one had excellent menus as well.

I'll do my best to find out how many stars I can get :D

@daveer91 yeah the stars thing is phenomenal. Such a tiny detail but it gives you so much satisfaction...

Feyenoord is not doing well anymore (see below), but I have to say I love van Hooijdonk in this game. He's constantly on the move, all over the place, causing ruckus left and right. He really is a troublemaker for me, big time!

Met a few players like this in ML so far. Hooijdonk, Agali, Roberto Baggio, Ailton, they're all noticeable up front in their specific way...Hooijdonk is all-around dangerman, Baggio is excellent dribbler, Agali has excellent pace and Ailton is a walking tank. I am always vary of them and defending against them is so much fun :D

TL;DR I LOVE PES 3 ITS THE GREATEST THING EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Here, have a full game. No sound since I forgot, but whatever. Just got to the first place after real rough game with Hanseaten and right away got to face former leaders Feyenoord. Another quality game, just top notch football action all around. How did it go? See for yourself:

I really should get some sort of video editor thing and cut those things...

Played a few more games, about to face North London in WEFA Champs QFs. Finally got to the top of the table, but Rekordmeister, Feyenoord and my archenemies of Longobardi are not giving up. Funny how my last season main rival, Marmara is fighting to avoid relegation now lolimao and they've even bought Robbie Fowler this year! Transfers in this game are crazy and I fully approve of that.

Also I was experimenting a bit with NVidia settings and guess I've got the game to look even better. Whatchu think? Check this out:

View attachment 5059 View attachment 5060 View attachment 5061 View attachment 5062

What are your nvidia settings, please ?

Not my cup of tea,but they've made "Sensible World of Soccer" backwards compatible on Xbox one.
I really hope konami realises what treasure they're sitting on with it's Pes series.
Get it done Konami

Back
Top Bottom