The Retro-PES Corner

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge Season 2 Update:

Having sold a player (Ximelez) to stay in the black in ML points and give myself some surplus for season 2, as there are no starting points balance like in the first season. I can say that bending the rules of the challenge was essential to give this game anymore time at all, it is so damn hard.

Have signed three of the re gens from the original PES squad, the great Vornander, Celnili and Harty are now just seventeen and full of youthful vigour and are straight in the team. Minanda is gone too as he also rejected an auto-renewal contract, so the bugger got the flick. :TD: Season 2 has started off as season one ended, three losses and one win. Castolo is awful and the new gens are all slow as treacle still. A long season of trying for scoreless draws ahead. :SICK::SICK::SICK:

Sorry, you misunderstood me. All my Playstation 2 analogue stick controllers are original Sony one's that either came with the consoles I bought (on my third Playstation 2 console) or one's I bought separately, all Sony originals.

Seriously, you are better off buying a second hand Sony controller online than the imitation rubbish that will break easily. Sony stuff lasts a long time.

Ah ok now i understand. Yeh maybe i should go for the second hand ones then. Thanks :)

The Japanese ref was deemed as strict, but would allow for the game to continue and only blow when he had to. But a mis timed sliding tackle is very likely to see a red card.
Some refs allowed heavier tackles but could blow when OFF SCREEN (!!) the opposing player walks slightly into yours and trips a little. Also conceding a foul when they are the ones trying to tackle you is so frustrating. In hindsight this is actually realistic. Refs in real life can blow for one thing and not for another which makes you tear your hair out. Just like PES :D

I'm convinced they also get throw-ins wrong sometimes and corners. In fact there was one the other night online in we9le I'm not sure who I was playing now perhaps they'll remember it to, I think it was @lazoli. The ball went out for a throw that I thought was mine and the ref gave it the other way and an animation came up of one of my players putting his hands out as if to say "What?" :D I don't remember ever seeing that animation on a throw-in before. The occasional offside looks dodgy too on a goal as if it's been missed. All of which is great and realistic of course. Shouting at the ref is obligatory in retro pes :)

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge Season 2 Update:

Having sold a player (Ximelez) to stay in the black in ML points and give myself some surplus for season 2, as there are no starting points balance like in the first season. I can say that bending the rules of the challenge was essential to give this game anymore time at all, it is so damn hard.

Have signed three of the re gens from the original PES squad, the great Vornander, Celnili and Harty are now just seventeen and full of youthful vigour and are straight in the team. Minanda is gone too as he also rejected an auto-renewal contract, so the bugger got the flick. :TD: Season 2 has started off as season one ended, three losses and one win. Castolo is awful and the new gens are all slow as treacle still. A long season of trying for scoreless draws ahead. :SICK::SICK::SICK:

:R1 That's for letting Minanda go :LOL: Big Sam would sell him too though. Castolo was awful in my save and still demanding a salary in season 7 despite not having played a minute in about 3 seasons! If you can get through season 2 and 3 things will start to look up.

Regarding the referees in retro-PES, I think the younger generations are so unlucky that they never got to understand how charismatic Kazuki Ito is. Fortunately we can explain it to them using one of their modern languages: memes.

1122779.jpg

Translation: "If Kazuki Ito never showed you a red card, you had no childhood"

1654859.jpg

"Plays PES for the first time...Referee: Kazuki Ito

1205510722_f.jpg

"Kazuki Ito: F*cking up PES matches since time immemorial"

I'm convinced they also get throw-ins wrong sometimes and corners. In fact there was one the other night online in we9le I'm not sure who I was playing now perhaps they'll remember it to, I think it was @lazoli. The ball went out for a throw that I thought was mine and the ref gave it the other way and an animation came up of one of my players putting his hands out as if to say "What?" :D I don't remember ever seeing that animation on a throw-in before. The occasional offside looks dodgy too on a goal as if it's been missed. All of which is great and realistic of course. Shouting at the ref is obligatory in retro pes :)

:R1 That's for letting Minanda go :LOL: Big Sam would sell him too though. Castolo was awful in my save and still demanding a salary in season 7 despite not having played a minute in about 3 seasons! If you can get through season 2 and 3 things will start to look up.

@mattmid , What Konami did to Castolo between PES 3 and PES 6, is a disgrace. He can't play anymore. You are right about it taking a minimum of three seasons to even be secure in avoiding Game Over as most players develop very slowly, only Ruskin's stats shoot up fast. He is some player.

BTW: what happened to the long ball in later PES titles ? No matter what L1 / R1 and 0 button combination I try at full power, it is impossible to loft a ball over the COM centre backs in PES 6 ?
:R1:R1:R1

It could have been me but I was probably not paying attention:D...WE9LE supposed to have extra animations which WE9/PES5 don’t have. I’ve actually noticed that myself with the goalkeepers. Anyway, I’ll keep an eye out for it if it happens again...

I've seen players practically walk it into their keeper's hands yet no pass back. Seen a few dodgy offsides too.

Regarding the referees in retro-PES, I think the younger generations are so unlucky that they never got to understand how charismatic Kazuki Ito is. Fortunately we can explain it to them using one of their modern languages: memes.
Aaaand Kazuki Ito is nothing compared to Carlos, one of the three referees of ISS 98. His full name, if I recall correctly what Tony Gubba used to say, was Carlos Moreno (I remember Tony saying something like "referee Carlos Moreno has given the foul" like twenty times per match). He could get you booked for breathing and sent off for walking.

I just saw something I'm convinced I never saw before. I had pes 4,5 and 6 on pc but had never played we9le until the past week. A player got injured and the (!) sign came up but the ball was in the centre of the pitch and bouncing around between me and the cpu for 5-10 seconds and the ref blew his whistle and play stopped to treat the player. He went off and the ref the dropped the ball at the feet of the computer player with my player nowhere near him (it was their player injured and I had the ball when he blew) and the computer hacked it forward to my keeper. I have never ever seen that in all the years of playing 4,5 +6.

I just saw something I'm convinced I never saw before. I had pes 4,5 and 6 on pc but had never played we9le until the past week. A player got injured and the (!) sign came up but the ball was in the centre of the pitch and bouncing around between me and the cpu for 5-10 seconds and the ref blew his whistle and play stopped to treat the player. He went off and the ref the dropped the ball at the feet of the computer player with my player nowhere near him (it was their player injured and I had the ball when he blew) and the computer hacked it forward to my keeper. I have never ever seen that in all the years of playing 4,5 +6.
I remember this feature (match interruption and Fair Play) also in PES 5.It impressed me so much cause it was advertised as a new feature back then by KONAMi.The same KONAMI that removed it next year for unknown reason!It worked perfectly without bugs or glitches.Furthemore under circumstances if a player is down injured,the (!) Symbol is on screen and you keep playing the ball the crowd will boo/jeer at you and whistling until the ref stops the match.

Yeah, it's pretty rare but I saw it happen a couple of times in all this years playing Pes 5. On a similar note, I also remember see for the first time, while I already had many (real) years in the game, a slightly injured but super tired Van Der Vaart stop and collapse on his knees in the midfield all alone. Don't know if it was because he was one of the rare players with a C in the rating injuries (not many in the game as far as I remember). Pes 5 had this kind of little gems here and there. One of the many reasons that made it an awesome game.

If it wasn't for the constant stops in play and the way the players change direction on the ball, I might have put PES5 ahead of PES6.

But PES 6 is full of gameplay glitches, Playstation 2 version:

Tackling an empty piece of pitch.
No long ball over the top of the defense possible.
And the chicken legs animations in some camera views.
And all the players wear the same boots, do you have to pick all the boots manually ?

It is a bit of a mess compared to PES 3.

Matt, it happened in our league game between me and Miguel today! It’s on my channel if you want to watch it. I totally missed the (!) on the screen so I kept on playing. Then ref stopped the game and I was like why?? lol. I felt bad not kicking the ball out. Argh :( Anyways, if you want to see it and don’t want to watch the whole match, just fast forward to 17:01...

It’s fun to see these little things in the game :)

PES 6 is totally head-wrecking. In no other PES game have I gone ten games without scoring a single goal, the Playstation 2 version of this game is a half-finished mess full of gameplay flaws and crap passing, shooting and dribbling. The ball runs five yards ahead of the player in possession making basic football attacks like rounding the keeper impossible. :R1:R1:R1:R1:R1

PES 3 was the high watermark of PES games, it has been downhill since then, @fmicablues7 is so right.

Been lurking in this thread for a while and it charms me that people have rediscovered these classic games and are raising awareness of just how enjoyable they can be and how well they hold up.

I've been rotating between patched editions of PES4, 5, 6 & WE9 on PC over the past year and no matter how much I try to get into PES18 & FIFA 18, I keep coming back to these classics like an old flame. Once you get past the limited mechanics, it becomes second nature.. I'm like a kid again. the warmth & magic of PES I came to know & love makes my heart so, so heavy.

Can't wait to try WE9 Online with some of you guys in due course once I get some free time to fiddle about with the files. it fills me with joy to see how active this thread is, I think you've created a neat little cult community that I thought ceased to exist anymore.

In the meantime, been simming these WC games on PES 6 & experimenting to get the AI to actually put on a show in CPU v CPU and I don't know what I did, but Brazil unleashed total destruction on Belgium! :SHOCK:

I have to say I am absolutely loving this WE9LE pc. It's like a cross between the best bits of the pc versions of 5&6. I've added in about 8 Finnish teams to an option file that I was going to put on my pes norwegian league file but thought I'd try them on here. Just started an 8 team cup playing as 2 of the teams to see how it plays. I just had a fantastic 20 minute game that I won by a single goal late on with a header from a set piece. Look at the number of computer (VPS) fouls and the late shots they had after I went down to 10 men with a second yellow card.

fin.jpg
shots.jpg

First game on Pes 2010.
This game really feels like I remember Pes 6 on pc felt.
Obviously not the case,but I haven't played Pes 6 in years.
Compared to the other titles I'm playing (10-11-12-13) this game feels very old,a bit pacey and feels like 8 ways to move,just like Pes 6.
I like a lot,but I'd say I'd rather play 12/13 as my first choices.

The difference between 10&11 is monumental,both good but 11 feels like a modern game without modern game bs.

I'm probably gonna play it a lot coming year,right now I'll stick with 12-13 though

_102401633_uk-trump-baby-2656.jpg

:OT: This big boy will be floating over central London in a week's time, after that I am going to sign him as my new midfield soft man. :YES:

(For overseas forum members, this is not a fake picture. That air-filled baby is six metres or about 19 foot high. A half-size little nipper is on the way too).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom