The Retro-PES Corner

I remember it being really tough too in 2012, I just don't remember it being much more varied than 13.. but I'm just talking sensations, I haven't touched it since then so who knows. After all those were two conceptually very similar chapters, and our own whole perceptions regarding an edition or another often switch based on many factors.

It could also depend on the version you're playing. Have you got any gameplay patch ? Did you install latest Konami patch ?

It could also depend on the version you're playing. Have you got any gameplay patch ? Did you install latest Konami patch ?

I've installed PTE patch which brings the game to the 6.0 datapack and 1.3 patch, there is also the gameplay tool but I still haven't touched it. I don't know to which extent they worked with tactics and stuff tho.

lastgame.jpg

The last league game was played and with Osasuna needing a high scoring draw or a win to take the league they pushed forward with a high line. Ath Bilbao managed to make the most of their counter attacks scoring three times to take the title themselves.

standings.jpg

Last edited:
A question for PS2 players, what controller are you using? Now that Sony no longer make them. One that is good with the D-Pad for example making diagnol runs is comfortable. Also the stick works well.

Any help much appreciated guys. :)

A question for PS2 players, what controller are you using? Now that Sony no longer make them. One that is good with the D-Pad for example making diagnol runs is comfortable. Also the stick works well.

Any help much appreciated guys. :)

You can still get them online, I am on my fifth or sixth Playstation 2 analogue controller. :SNACK:

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge Update Season 1, Restart 4:

This challenge is madness and fun sometimes. I have drawn four and lost six games this season so far and scored ONE goal. :SHOCK: Amazingly, some COM club decided to buy Ximelez for 4500 transfer points, so another season beckons. The goal drought is a mystery, anyone else suffered this?:?:?:?

There's a lot of things which are related to retro-PES gaming that I would've done in this period but I couldn't.
There's one, though, that I just did now.

I ordered from Amazon the "PS3-era" PES games which I had back in the day and which I gave away or lost somehow (2008, 2010 and 2012) so the PES3-era collection will soon be complete.

Other than that, I'm trying to get hold of a used copy of PES 3 and PES 4 for PC too (I had both of them back in the day, I just couldn't find them anymore... I don't know if they've been lost when I moved houses as other discs are missing or if someone borrowed them from me and never returned them)... So the complete PC lineup will be here.

Really?! For how much though? I have seen original ones for about £100 but imitation ones without the Sony logo for about £20 but they are not as good :(

Not sure where you are from, but tonnes of them on a certain UK website of that big american online retailer. No need to promote them. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge Update Season 1, Restart 4:

This challenge is madness and fun sometimes. I have drawn four and lost six games this season so far and scored ONE goal. :SHOCK: Amazingly, some COM club decided to buy Ximelez for 4500 transfer points, so another season beckons. The goal drought is a mystery, anyone else suffered this?:?:?:?

You're not really supposed to sell anyone in the originals challenge :COAT:But if it gets another season so be it :D Hamsun was the main goals man for me by season 3, before that Huylens had one good season and Ordaz scored a few most seasons. Burchet's useful as a sub or 60 mins from the start

Yeh I kinda knew that, but after four game over resets and all the autosave and game reset prevention features on, it was the only way to avoid another GAME OVER.

PES 6 is a different universe for me, so strange to get used to.

Yeh but that is all you will get now as the Playstation 2 is eighteen years old. An adult. :APPLAUD:

Heh heh yeh i wish i retired at 18 :P

It’s a shame because imo they feel cheap and the d-pad is unpredictable when passing. I notice it when editing player stats, when scrolling down to each stat sometimes it will move to the right by mistake and increase stats i dont want to.

I thought you may have used a different controller that was better. No worries, thanks :)

@geeeeee have you tried a store like CEX? What about Gumtree or Schpock for a second hand one?

eBay may have some used ones too but depends how long they last for ?

I use to use the analog stick (PS2 dualshock 2), but when I recently tried it after not playing for like a couple of years, it felt a little weird and the (PS2) directional pad felt much better for some reason.

I remember back in the day a lot of ppl said they preferred the pad too.

Back to PES 5 with the defaults.
I bought Njorgo, Celnini and Vornander in the transfer market. I simply couldn't resist even in front of my scarce finances :P. Needed to bring at least them home.

I'm 4 points to San Paolo (2nd in the league) and I just have 3 games to go.. I need some really good luck to be promoted this season. By the way next match is against Fiorentina (already super-promoted as first) of my arch-nemesis Frey. Will play my last chance against him.. makes for a nice emergent football storyline as usual :) .

Will be vital to win as many of this 3 games as possible anyway, regardless of the promotion on which I can't count on.. I'm between the possibility of game over and the hope of buy some more sweet original regens. Love the thrill and loving, once again, this game.

For thousands of years people have been asking what is "love" exactly. Love is when you're short on money yet you still spend the little you have on ML default regens because goddamnit, they'll forever have a special place in your heart. I'll be an old man flying around in self-driven-spaceships to check up on my grandson's family he raised on Mars and I'll still be talking of Minanda, Castolo, et al. So @Madmac79, I support your decision. As you put it, this is the kind of stuff that great PES stories are made of.

I use to use the analog stick (PS2 dualshock 2), but when I recently tried it after not playing for like a couple of years, it felt a little weird and the (PS2) directional pad felt much better for some reason.

I remember back in the day a lot of ppl said they preferred the pad too.

Yeh the analogue sticks if left unused for ages get clogged up with dirt and dust like the old computer mouse pads used to when they had those ball and rollers mechanisms.

Trick is to have a couple of Playstation 2 controllers in use and alternate them, that is what keeps the analogue sticks in good order. :!

Back to PES 5 with the defaults.
I bought Njorgo, Celnini and Vornander in the transfer market. I simply couldn't resist even in front of my scarce finances :P. Needed to bring at least them home.

I'm 4 points to San Paolo (2nd in the league) and I just have 3 games to go.. I need some really good luck to be promoted this season. By the way next match is against Fiorentina (already super-promoted as first) of my arch-nemesis Frey. Will play my last chance against him.. makes for a nice emergent football storyline as usual :) .

Will be vital to win as many of this 3 games as possible anyway, regardless of the promotion on which I can't count on.. I'm between the possibility of game over and the hope of buy some more sweet original regens. Love the thrill and loving, once again, this game.

@Madmac79 , great purchases. I had to buy back Macco and Castolo in PES 3 (not regens there) as they took free transfer offers from other clubs, cost me what Alvaro Recoba or Aimar would have cost, but my sense of loyalty and affection was clearly stronger to them than vice versa. Mercenary little buggers at times, the default guys, but you gotta love 'em. :YES::YES::YES:

Yeh the analogue sticks if left unused for ages get clogged up with dirt and dust like the old computer mouse pads used to when they had those ball and rollers mechanisms.

Trick is to have a couple of Playstation 2 controllers in use and alternate them, that is what keeps the analogue sticks in good order. :!
My controllers are actually in great condition, just using the stick to move as opposed to the pad (in these PS2 PES games) feels a little weird for me now for some reason. And I use to use the stick all the time for these. Strange.

My controllers are actually in great condition, just using the stick to move as opposed to the pad (in these PS2 PES games) feels a little weird for me now for some reason. And I use to use the stick all the time for these. Strange.

Not sure how players manage to use just the D-pad for movement in PES games. The Playstation 2 analogue controllers only have up / down / left / right D-pad buttons, making diagonal runs and aftertouch on free kicks very difficult. The analogue sticks are the current day version of the old joystick pads of the 1980s and 1990s.

Not sure how players manage to use just the D-pad for movement in PES games. The Playstation 2 analogue controllers only have up / down / left / right D-pad buttons, making diagonal runs and aftertouch on free kicks very difficult. The analogue sticks are the current day version of the old joystick pads of the 1980s and 1990s.

Now i understand why you get on ok with the ‘Imitation Sony’ controllers. I used to use the D-pad all the time and making diagonal runs was no problem with the original controllers. But now i have to use the left stick because of the problem that you mentioned.

I played some games with my brother yesterday and he never uses the left stick. He was using my ‘Imitation’ controller and he noticed straight away that controlling the diagonal runs was harder.

So that takes me back (kind of) to my question yesterday...

Are there any good PS2 controllers out there? That are not ‘Imitation Sony’ ones? :P

Also, all this talk about lack of free kicks in PES2019 in that thread. Playing against my brother yesterday and he got 2 straight red cards in about 5 mins. The tackles werent that bad maybe a yellow at best.
But it shows that in retro PES the refs had different strictness. And it was an exhibition game. Great stuff.

The Japanese ref was deemed as strict, but would allow for the game to continue and only blow when he had to. But a mis timed sliding tackle is very likely to see a red card.
Some refs allowed heavier tackles but could blow when OFF SCREEN (!!) the opposing player walks slightly into yours and trips a little. Also conceding a foul when they are the ones trying to tackle you is so frustrating. In hindsight this is actually realistic. Refs in real life can blow for one thing and not for another which makes you tear your hair out. Just like PES :D

The Japanese ref was deemed as strict, but would allow for the game to continue and only blow when he had to. But a mis timed sliding tackle is very likely to see a red card.
Some refs allowed heavier tackles but could blow when OFF SCREEN (!!) the opposing player walks slightly into yours and trips a little. Also conceding a foul when they are the ones trying to tackle you is so frustrating. In hindsight this is actually realistic. Refs in real life can blow for one thing and not for another which makes you tear your hair out. Just like PES :D

One reason why i loved PES5 is there would be times when your striker and the defender are running for a loose ball. But because the striker is so eager, maybe because team is losing, he would concede a foul. Very frustrating if your player but if it’s the other way round and you are under pressure defending its great. Just like real life :)

Now i understand why you get on ok with the ‘Imitation Sony’ controllers. I used to use the D-pad all the time and making diagonal runs was no problem with the original controllers. But now i have to use the left stick because of the problem that you mentioned.

I played some games with my brother yesterday and he never uses the left stick. He was using my ‘Imitation’ controller and he noticed straight away that controlling the diagonal runs was harder.

So that takes me back (kind of) to my question yesterday...

Are there any good PS2 controllers out there? That are not ‘Imitation Sony’ ones? :P

Also, all this talk about lack of free kicks in PES2019 in that thread. Playing against my brother yesterday and he got 2 straight red cards in about 5 mins. The tackles werent that bad maybe a yellow at best.
But it shows that in retro PES the refs had different strictness. And it was an exhibition game. Great stuff.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. All my Playstation 2 analogue stick controllers are original Sony one's that either came with the consoles I bought (on my third Playstation 2 console) or one's I bought separately, all Sony originals.

Seriously, you are better off buying a second hand Sony controller online than the imitation rubbish that will break easily. Sony stuff lasts a long time.

Back
Top Bottom