The Retro-PES Corner

@everyone on Evo-Web

Hey fellow Evo-Web members. I've just understood that the PES2019 discussion thread is currently locked. If you don't know what to do with your Sunday afternoon, now that the most popular thread here is unavailable, I'd like to welcome you to an exotic new place called the Retro-PES Corner. The weather is always fine; the people are joyful, warm and friendly, and quite productive too...for here on our Corner we have already 42 pages filled with (retro) PES-related content, be it unique challenges, stories and experiences of people playing the (many) games of the series, waiting for you to read it. Do trust me when I say, it's better for you to start that process now than saving it for the next window of opportunity that might arise in the future; say, when the PES2020 thread gets locked and we're already reached the 200th page. By then, you'll have to ask the moderators of the forum to keep it locked for a whole weekend, or else how would you have the time to read all of it?

So dive in, relax and enjoy yourself. Have a wonderful Sunday.

This message was brought to you by The Retro-PES Corner's Ministry of Tourism

Okay so first half of the season is up and Commonwealth is speeding up which I did not expect at all.

I have quickly moved up to max difficulty and pretty much figured out how to PES 3. We are quick countering powerhouse and play tons of entertaining football. Strongest teams are definitely bit of a challenge, but sometimes it's almost too easy. Just now, in the last game, Haupstadt was giving me a lot of trouble and leading easily until 60th minute. Then I broke them, suddenly in like 15 minutes from 1:0 to 1:3. They got one back but it was too late. Regardless, shooting feels sooo extremely satisfying, even simple 1 on 1 dinks and clear chances, it just feels so damn right. I think it's because ball is so much more free when being kicked. It doesn't seem like it follows laser-guided path decided by the engine on the basis of gods know what. It feels so great to score even simplest of goals.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 01.07.2018 21_04_27.png

And so far Serebrennikov scored them the most, and he's goddamn AMF! He often ends up finishing balls laid off by wingers and attackers, especially Vlad M. is excellent with holding ball up and giving it away to incoming partners. But I can count on everyone. Wichniarek and Vlad have a few goals and OG Barota, Huylens and Castolo are somewhat dependable too which is a nice surprise.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 01.07.2018 21_04_20.png

But they will be leaving soon. In the first negotiation period I've got two massive players. DMF/CB Kaladze, Georgian legend of AC Milan reinforced our back line and god damn is he great. A much needed change. On RMF OG Castolo has been retired thanks to arrival of the Russian gem of PS2 PES era, Izmailov.

He's literally OP. Got him for some funny cash, like 6k points or so, and his stats are beyond amazing. Excellent dribbler, there's difference between Vlad who's able to fool one, maybe two defenders with one R2 dribble and get into a shooting position and Izmailov who easily wins 1v1 and speeds away like a madman. His highlight so far is equaliser against Haupstadt, I just couldn't break the deadlock and then Izmailov just grabbed the ball on the right side, waltzed inside in front of the penalty box through enemy defenders and made a pass to empty Wichniarek since literally everyone went to stop incoming Russian danger man. He just makes a difference. And it's damn hot.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 01.07.2018 21_05_03.png

Wonder what future holds for us. I think we'll get into WEFA comps no problem. D1 Cup we got eliminated by, yeah guess what, our sworn rivals Longobardi, but in a league game we have won no problem 2:0 they got countered in their face twice and damn it was so tasty to beat the crap out of them. Also had excellent game against Rekordmeister which ended 3:2, they are impossible to stop in the attack but they are terrible at defending their wings and that's where our three winning counters came through.

We are far ahead and I feel like we'll hold onto this. With few more great players Europe shall tremble once we get into European cups...

Okay so first half of the season is up and Commonwealth is speeding up which I did not expect at all.

I have quickly moved up to max difficulty and pretty much figured out how to PES 3. We are quick countering powerhouse and play tons of entertaining football. Strongest teams are definitely bit of a challenge, but sometimes it's almost too easy. Just now, in the last game, Haupstadt was giving me a lot of trouble and leading easily until 60th minute. Then I broke them, suddenly in like 15 minutes from 1:0 to 1:3. They got one back but it was too late. Regardless, shooting feels sooo extremely satisfying, even simple 1 on 1 dinks and clear chances, it just feels so damn right. I think it's because ball is so much more free when being kicked. It doesn't seem like it follows laser-guided path decided by the engine on the basis of gods know what. It feels so great to score even simplest of goals.

View attachment 4911

And so far Serebrennikov scored them the most, and he's goddamn AMF! He often ends up finishing balls laid off by wingers and attackers, especially Vlad M. is excellent with holding ball up and giving it away to incoming partners. But I can count on everyone. Wichniarek and Vlad have a few goals and OG Barota, Huylens and Castolo are somewhat dependable too which is a nice surprise.

View attachment 4910

But they will be leaving soon. In the first negotiation period I've got two massive players. DMF/CB Kaladze, Georgian legend of AC Milan reinforced our back line and god damn is he great. A much needed change. On RMF OG Castolo has been retired thanks to arrival of the Russian gem of PS2 PES era, Izmailov.

He's literally OP. Got him for some funny cash, like 6k points or so, and his stats are beyond amazing. Excellent dribbler, there's difference between Vlad who's able to fool one, maybe two defenders with one R2 dribble and get into a shooting position and Izmailov who easily wins 1v1 and speeds away like a madman. His highlight so far is equaliser against Haupstadt, I just couldn't break the deadlock and then Izmailov just grabbed the ball on the right side, waltzed inside in front of the penalty box through enemy defenders and made a pass to empty Wichniarek since literally everyone went to stop incoming Russian danger man. He just makes a difference. And it's damn hot.

View attachment 4912

Wonder what future holds for us. I think we'll get into WEFA comps no problem. D1 Cup we got eliminated by, yeah guess what, our sworn rivals Longobardi, but in a league game we have won no problem 2:0 they got countered in their face twice and damn it was so tasty to beat the crap out of them. Also had excellent game against Rekordmeister which ended 3:2, they are impossible to stop in the attack but they are terrible at defending their wings and that's where our three winning counters came through.

We are far ahead and I feel like we'll hold onto this. With few more great players Europe shall tremble once we get into European cups...

It is not easy @Anjin , trust me, but maybe try the ultimate game if you think you have PES 3 beat. The @miguelfcp , officially sanctioned (a true gent, not like those FIFA gangsters :MAD:), Default Originals Challenge.

Good Luck. :DD:DD:DD

PES 6 Default Originals Challenge Season 1 (Third attempt)

Going well this time, one win in four league games and a draw in the tough Div 2 Cup first leg. But this challenge is as evil and nasty as a sadistic girlfriend who starts each argument with a well-aimed kick in the crotch. :OH::OH::OH: So stay tuned for GAME OVER again soon. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

@Anjin: The Commonwealth is dominating the league, no mercy! And your purchase of Izmailov is bound to make your save even more entertaining, as he must turn out to be one of the most skillful and agile dribblers of the game - I don't remember his PES3 stats but he was still pretty young in PES5/6 and lots of +80 stats already.
Like @WhoAteMeDinner said, if you find the standard ML save too easy, do check out our ML Scenario Vault on the first page of the thread, has a few interesting (and some wacky ones too, but at least humorous) ideas to explore on retro-PES and will certainly provide you a tough challenge.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Keep going mate, don't give up. It's a hell of a challenge...our ancestors had to fight World Wars, our World War is the Originals Challenge. Not for the faint of heart!

PES 6 Default Originals Challenge Season 1 (Third attempt)

Going well this time, one win in four league games and a draw in the tough Div 2 Cup first leg. But this challenge is as evil and nasty as a sadistic girlfriend who starts each argument with a well-aimed kick in the crotch. :OH::OH::OH: So stay tuned for GAME OVER again soon. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

I've yet to win a cup tie in 7 seasons :) Or been kicked in the crutch by a girlfriend, come to that. There's time for both yet although if I'm honest I'm only hoping for one of them.

This time around I decided to play a few friendly matches on PES2 (PS2) and it confirms my impression upon having played it a few months ago: it's an entertaining game, fun and challenging. I don't know what kind of drugs the Konami producers were on when they made the early PES games (also ISS Pro Evo) but please share the secret with us someday, because this is THE stuff.
After three friendlies, I won just one through the now extinct "golden goal" method - for the younger crowd, it means I scored the first goal of the Extra Time, which awards me the win immediately. I played a Croatia-Denmark (twice) and Spain-Russia and found the game quite challenging on the highest difficulty, nothing's handed to you on a silver platter - not even when using mega-talents such as Raul from Real Madrid.

Managed to score two fancy goals, one of them using a guy I'm 99% sure is Croatia's legend Prosinecki:

https://streamable.com/6ep6m

https://streamable.com/0jppw

When you get it right, shooting has a powerful "oompf" granted to get you off of your seat. But being the n00b that I am, most of the times the ball either flies way over the goal or it's too weak of an attempt, easy for the GK. Powerful strikes such as that of Morientes' is a rarity...

@miguelfcp , great review of PES 2 on the Playstation 2. For me, it is even tougher than PES 3. As you point out scoring long range goals is an extremely rare event for a football game as the ball physics were not there yet until the new game engine and ball dynamics of PES 3. A kind of halfway progression to PES 3 in terms of player stats and general gameplay being very good, but scoring from outside the box and from headers is just too infrequent to be realistic.

@mattmid and I just finished 2 world cup games on WE9LE online using @lazoli's patch & server.
It were very tight and enjoyable games (10min, no extra time & pen).
Hope more people can come and join us to play online
a.JPG
b.JPG

Last edited:
And after that I played mattmid. Next Tuesday's game, Sweden vs Switzerland. It was a tight game as always and luckily I was the one who found the back of the net towards the middle of the first half with a straight shot right outside of the box:) That was the only goal of the game. The whole game was a midfield battle! Good game matt. Well played:)

Here's a screenshot of the goal...

Does anybody know why the AI seems to suck on PES 6 when simming CPU matches? The AI hardly ever scores, never takes clear cut opportunities to shoot or cross and instead passes and loses possession..

Tried all types of difficulty levels and match lengths and i'm lucky if i get one lousy goal!

Does anybody know why the AI seems to suck on PES 6 when simming CPU matches? The AI hardly ever scores, never takes clear cut opportunities to shoot or cross and instead passes and loses possession..

Tried all types of difficulty levels and match lengths and i'm lucky if i get one lousy goal!

PES 6 game engine and ball physics are to blame there. And it is not just CPU only sim games that are often scoreless or one goal games. Most games I play end 1-0 for either side.

The whole game is so slow compared to PES 2 and PES 3, like the players and football have been replaced by eleven Daddy Long-legs and a ball made of wet socks. :RANT:

PES 6 game engine and ball physics are to blame there. And it is not just CPU only sim games that are often scoreless or one goal games. Most games I play end 1-0 for either side.

The whole game is so slow compared to PES 2 and PES 3, like the players and football have been replaced by eleven Daddy Long-legs and a ball made of wet socks. :RANT:

I have all sorts of scores (remember some of those Domzale scores with ML guys? 5-5!) I think it feels slow to you because pes3 is really fast. It's the other way around for me, when I play pes3 I think god this is fast!

@MafiaMurderBag You could try a global adjustment on AGG and ATT, that should make the teams more attacking and better at it. Also add in some passing special abilities to make them dribble aimlessly around with it less.

@mattmid and I just finished 2 world cup games on WE9LE online using @lazoli's patch & server.
It were very tight and enjoyable games (10min, no extra time & pen).
Hope more people can come and join us to play online

And after that I played mattmid. Next Tuesday's game, Sweden vs Switzerland. It was a tight game as always and luckily I was the one who found the back of the net towards the middle of the first half with a straight shot right outside of the box:) That was the only goal of the game. The whole game was a midfield battle! Good game matt. Well played:)

Here's a screenshot of the goal...

All great and close games. Both Belgium v Japan and Sweden v Switzerland were so tight with chances at a premium, Lazoli worked a good chance to get open to get the winning goal with a nice finish. :) Brazil v Mexico, wildwind dominated possession and did a great job of keeping the ball away from the superpower that is Adriano along with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho with a packed midfield that I struggled to get the ball off and then didn't keep it long when I did. I won simply because I had the better side, if he'd had the Brazil strikeforce up front for Mexico he'd have won comfortably. :)

All online games so far played between 3 of us are all very tight. Scoreline is almost within 1 goal only. Great Fun.

That Brazil front 3, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Adriano is crazy, plus Kaka, Cafu, Carlos, Dida. This 2006 Brazil team is much better than the current one in my opinion.

Yes, it was a struggle to decide who to leave on the bench! :LOL:

Titch are you going to join us online? It's an easy set up.

All online games so far played between 3 of us are all very tight. Scoreline is almost within 1 goal only. Great Fun.

That Brazil front 3, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Adriano is crazy, plus Kaka, Cafu, Carlos, Dida. This 2006 Brazil team is much better than the current one in my opinion.

Oh that generation of players were heartbreakers. So much fun to play as and a great source of PES nostalgia

Playing all these retro PES's I think I've finally worked out Konami's formula. I think what they do is with each new version they bring in something really good but not until they've removed something really good from the previous version!

I couldnt agree more. Me and my brother have been saying that for years.

There are so many things but one of the major things for me was removing the ‘free sides select’ option. Being able to start a Cup with 32 player teams but being able to change one to CPU each match. That way you can play every game as a single player. I think that went when it went to NG.

Wonder if a modded PS2 could be used to play PES 5 netmode, with the network adaptor. Would be nice to be thrashed 6-0 by you lot one day in the future lol, but maybe I'll get a small laptop for that by then :)

And I'd like to see a stream too tbh lol

Back
Top Bottom